Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

500 metre long indoor snowslope planned for Wales

Poster: A snowHead
Plans to build one of Europe's longest indoor ski slopes in Merthyr Tydfil have been revealed.

Potential good news for any sHs based in Wales or bordering English counties. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When was the last time (as in Year) did a rumoured indoor ski slope actually make it to construction?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They should speak to the Dutch when it comes to indoor slopes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suppose like Landgraaf it will be built on a old pit heap and like Landgraaf hope to attract all the international teams for summer training now the glaciers are disappearing.

ps. I really like Landgraaf
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So in addition to the MASSIVE one going in at Cardiff (soon honest), and the MASSIVE one going in Clevedon(yeah really soon too), there's this MASSIVE one going in at Merthyr... If you live in Newport you'll be spoiled for choice!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It will complement the Ebbw Vale race circuit perfectly Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
I suppose like Landgraaf it will be built on a old pit heap ...
Up the side of the valley some of which will have pit spoils on it, but not purely built on industrial reclamation. One things Wales has to offer is plenty of natural slopes Happy There used to be a dry ski slope at Merthyr, on the opposite side of the valley to this current proposal, but it went bankrupt and closed. Road access to the proposed site is pretty good, but I wonder if the population density within driving distance is sufficient to make an expensive facility viable? I'm sure the local council would be only too pleased to support the proposal, but as with all the other sites that would like this kind of facility it will come down to whether the developer has the finance in place. I'd love to see it built and no doubt would visit my parents in Merthyr far more often than I do now, but I can't see it happening.

If by some good fortune it does get built, along with the proposed waterpark and surf centre, Merthyr would increasingly become a good destination for adventure/activity trips, with downhill and mountain biking at Bike Park Wales, skiing, indoor surfing, hang gliding, some gentle white water rafting/canoeing on the Taff, plenty of serious walking in the Brecon Beacons, etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
So in addition to the MASSIVE one going in at Cardiff (soon honest), and the MASSIVE one going in Clevedon(yeah really soon too), there's this MASSIVE one going in at Merthyr... If you live in Newport you'll be spoiled for choice!

Clevedon? I haven't heard about that one! Got any linkies?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
I wonder if the population density within driving distance is sufficient to make an expensive facility viable?

Cardiff and Bristol are in easy striking distance (closer to Bristol than Hemel is) plus the more hardy souls from towards Exeter and Plymouth. Certainly think there'd be enough interest over the winter but not sure about sustaining it over quieter months. That's possibly why the plan is to wrap it up with a larger development, make it more attractive to groups who want to have a crack at different stuff over a weekend.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@martinm, IIRC the big "Bristol" one that was touted a few years back was in Clevedon... what with it being a suburb of Bristol rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@martinm, R-S must be referring to the Weston Super Mere one.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cad99uk wrote:
@martinm, R-S must be referring to the Weston Super Mere one.

That would be my guess. As a Clevedon resident I'd probably have heard about a Clevedon one!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@cad99uk, @martinm, I stand corrected - it was the WSM one I was thinking of which was marketed as Bristols Snowdome.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=8124

Previous real snow slope at Merthyr
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

You forgot the massive ones in Ipswich and Stratford Wink
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
and Stratford Wink

I travel past there every day looking longingly out of the train window wondering what might have been Sad Sad
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:

At this rate there'll be no space left to house the flying pigs!
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
johnE wrote:
Road access to the proposed site is pretty good, but I wonder if the population density within driving distance is sufficient to make an expensive facility viable?

Cardiff, Swansea, Neath-Port-Talbot and Bridgend are all within 40 mins away; as is Brecon and Builth Wells.
ski holidays
Quote:

You'd still have to live in Newport though.
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
johnE wrote:
Road access to the proposed site is pretty good, but I wonder if the population density within driving distance is sufficient to make an expensive facility viable?

Cardiff, Swansea, Neath-Port-Talbot and Bridgend are all within 40 mins away; as is Brecon and Builth Wells.
Sure, plus Bristol, Gloucester, etc. But is there enough of snow sport audience in that combined area to sustain the capital investment and running costs of something which might be twice the size of any other slope in the UK? I think that several of the UK's existing indoor slopes have struggled financially at some point (XScape group, Braehead) and they have a larger potential audience that a slope in Merthyr. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see an indoor slope there, it's about two miles from where I grew up and maybe my company might be able to deliver courses there, expanding our reach to that part of the world. Sadly I'm just a bit sceptical that it will happen.
snow report
If my recent introduction to the dry slope racing scene is anything to go by, then there'll be plenty of interest.

Would be great.

Fingers crossed.
snow report
There were plans put forward a few years ago for a 500m long slope to be built in Llanberis. Needless to say it came to nothing.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

You forgot the massive ones in Ipswich and Stratford Wink

Not to mention Swindon....

Wasn't the Bristol one going to be just a Skiplex machine? That must look increasingly unlikely now..
latest report
Awdbugga wrote:
There were plans put forward a few years ago for a 500m long slope to be built in Llanberis. Needless to say it came to nothing.

More to do with access and population base I suspect.
snow conditions
may suffer with brexit, as when I was talking about this a lot of the cash was going to be EU redevelopment money for deprived areas... Sad
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
johnE wrote:

Sure, plus Bristol, Gloucester, etc. But is there enough of snow sport audience in that combined area to sustain the capital investment and running costs of something which might be twice the size of any other slope in the UK? I think that several of the UK's existing indoor slopes have struggled financially at some point (XScape group, Braehead) and they have a larger potential audience that a slope in Merthyr. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see an indoor slope there, it's about two miles from where I grew up and maybe my company might be able to deliver courses there, expanding our reach to that part of the world. Sadly I'm just a bit sceptical that it will happen.

I lived in Dubai for several years and was a regular at SkiDubai (400m length) and I am led to believe it runs on a loss. The government subsidises it because it's good for tourism, good for saying "we can build a snowdome in the middle of a desert" and would kind of look pretty bad if it had to sit in one of the country's huge shopping malls all dark and vacant.

So yes I am intrigued to see how a 500m slope in rural Wales can be profitable when a slope in one of the richer cities of the world apparently can't. SkiDXB is usually pretty busy in the evenings and although well priced (£25 for 2 hours, £35 for all day) gets the people traffic to make that alright I reckon. There's quite a few more tourists in Dubai who call in for a 2 hour session during a shopping trip, than there are in Merthyr.

So whilst I think that the energy costs in Dubai are no doubt higher (being that the ambient temperature outside never goes below about 25ºC) that is traded off by the fact that the staff are paid very poorly (a lot of the non-teaching staff get paid well under UK minimum wage) so I am intrigued to see how a larger site with presumably less footfall will actually be able to achieve a profit unless it's heavily subsidised by somebody else.
snow report
The current UK slopes are a completely different construction to Landgraaf and Amneville, I haven't been to any others. I don't think any of the earlier threads have established how much of an effect this has on the costs of building and running them.

Landgraaf doesn't have anything under the snow, if you drill down you just hit frozen earth.
snow conditions
I think that @rob@rar is right in that a ski slope would fit in with that area's desire to portray itself as an "adventure playground", what with Bike Park Wales and the Beacons close to hand. Would love to see it built (easy drive from the 'Diff) but I cannot see the numbers stacking up.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="dp"][quote="rob@rar"][quote="Charliegolf"][quote="rob@rar"]
johnE wrote:

so I am intrigued to see how a larger site with presumably less footfall will actually be able to achieve a profit unless it's heavily subsidised by somebody else.

The Parish Council (Welsh Government) has a very long track record for giving huge wedges of dosh to dubious ventures. They might turn out to be the 'somebody else'; and Merthyr is a very deprived area- the promise of (hugely inflated) permanent jobs often wins. That said, there was an outbreak of common sense over the Circuit of Wales.
snow report
Quote:

johnE wrote:

so I am intrigued to see how a larger site with presumably less footfall will actually be able to achieve a profit unless it's heavily subsidised by somebody else.

I cannot recall ever writing that!

There is in fact a big catchment area for Merthyr. With the developments of the head of vallies road the catchment area extends north to Birmingham and the West Midlands.
ski holidays
@johnE, but only 30 mins from Birmingham to Tam'uth.
ski holidays
dobby wrote:
@johnE, but only 30 mins from Birmingham to Tam'uth.

Tamworth isn't 500 metres long!
snow conditions
@Charliegolf, true enough
snow conditions
There was a dry-slope on the outskirts of Merthyr in Pentrebach in the '80s but it closed down after a few years. It probably wasn't the best place to build it considering the economic deprevation in the surrounding area at the time.

There may be greater demand for an indoor snow-slope on the same site these days as it's only 1/2 an hour's drive from the M4 and there's quite an extensive catchment within a couple of hours drive. It would be even better once the Severn bridge tolls get removed in 2018.
snow conditions
I'd love love love to believe this will come to fruition but I just can't realistically see it working. I don't think there's the catchment with sufficient cash to be happy paying snowdome prices.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:

You didn't. I did. I think somebody just got their quote tags in a mess

Charliegolf wrote:
dp wrote:

The Parish Council (Welsh Government) has a very long track record for giving huge wedges of dosh to dubious ventures. They might turn out to be the 'somebody else'; and Merthyr is a very deprived area- the promise of (hugely inflated) permanent jobs often wins. That said, there was an outbreak of common sense over the Circuit of Wales.

Government subsidies I can believe

But I mean honestly, do they have any idea of the cost of operating and maintaining a 500m ski slope? We are talking basically a fridge 3-4 times the size of a football pitch. Electricity bill will be that of a small town.

I can't believe a subsidy will even then get them to the 0 mark. Snowdon's got an artificial surf area which is one thing but after start up it only costs money when it's surfing. The problem with a ski slope is it costs money 24/7
ski holidays
The Welsh Gov have made many spectacularly bad, no-jobs money eating deals since 1999; and before that, the WDA was in charge of wasting money. But I did say there had been an outbreak of common sense recently...
snow conditions
Trying to make money out of skiing in Britain seems to be pretty near impossible.

Skiing works here only around the margins and usually because of substantial voluntary effort and public financial support.
ski holidays
LittleRos wrote:
I'd love love love to believe this will come to fruition but I just can't realistically see it working. I don't think there's the catchment with sufficient cash to be happy paying snowdome prices.

9 million people living within 2hr radius of Merthyr.
ski holidays
dp wrote:
johnE wrote:

You didn't. I did. I think somebody just got their quote tags in a mess

Charliegolf wrote:
dp wrote:

Government subsidies I can believe

But I mean honestly, do they have any idea of the cost of operating and maintaining a 500m ski slope? We are talking basically a fridge 3-4 times the size of a football pitch. Electricity bill will be that of a small town.

I can't believe a subsidy will even then get them to the 0 mark. Snowdon's got an artificial surf area which is one thing but after start up it only costs money when it's surfing. The problem with a ski slope is it costs money 24/7

Aim is to build a water storage facility above the site for snowmaking. Free water, gravity fed.

Layer of articial snow on natural terrain, so artificial snow needs not as much per sqm as other 'fridges' who have to build the pitch of the slope.

Electricity generation through solar panelling.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy