Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down Skis Pre Season Sale - paging clarky999

Poster: A snowHead
I see the annual Down offering begins on the 1st September - the small pre sale snips look very interesting this year with some more touring construction and shorter lengths too - clarky999, will you be on hand to talk us through any queries?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mishmash,

and will there be another grand mishmash clearout to make room in the locker? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jedster wrote:
@mishmash,

and will there be another grand mishmash clearout to make room in the locker? Very Happy

there will have to be some movement!!! How did those Rossis turn out for Mrs J in the end?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In fact you have reminded me that in the last 2 years I have bought more skis to the point that as we go into this season I have 5 pairs tha I haven't even skied properly yet..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

How did those Rossis turn out for Mrs J in the end?

Actually (I believe you may be familiar with this sort of response Very Happy) she said "why do I need these I'm quite happy with my old skis". But my son really enjoyed them. He's moving on to something longer, stiffer and a bit more technical (bit narrower) next season but his sister is excited about getting on them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm also looking at CD114s or CD 114Ls, and maybe LD 102s. Hard to choose...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haha, I was waiting 'til today to post this, but good to see the thread underway already @mishmash!

But yeah, pre-sale live as of today, with skis starting at €299!!

http://www.downskis.com

Quote:

clarky999, will you be on hand to talk us through any queries?

I'm not up to date on all the new skis, but for sure here to help where I can! And if I can't, I'll pass on any queries to someone who does wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster wrote:
Quote:

How did those Rossis turn out for Mrs J in the end?

Actually (I believe you may be familiar with this sort of response Very Happy) she said "why do I need these I'm quite happy with my old skis". But my son really enjoyed them. He's moving on to something longer, stiffer and a bit more technical (bit narrower) next season but his sister is excited about getting on them.

Eldest Mash is now same height as her mother so also keen to get onto the rejects , but that doesn't help my problem!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jedster wrote:
He's moving on to something longer, stiffer and a bit more technical (bit narrower) next season but his sister is excited about getting on them.

Do I have to be the one to point out that your beloved daughter will inevitably move onto something longer and stiffer in due course as well?

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dp,

I was conscious when I was writing that I was teeing up a cheap gag but I didn't budget for you bringing my 12 year old (going on 17) daughter into it!
Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone here with any knowledge of or experience with the Lowdown 90? I am on the lookout for a 90mm or narrower ski to go with new Dynafit tlt 7 boots for muti day trips and carting up more technical Alpine climbs with a view to skiing down the other side.

Seems Down have a couple of pairs, but a little foreknowledge would help. Was thinking of some bargain Fischer Transalp 88 before I saw all this.

Cheers.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster wrote:
@dp,

I was conscious when I was writing that I was teeing up a cheap gag but I didn't budget for you bringing my 12 year old (going on 17) daughter into it!
Shocked

Very Happy

sorry to be the one who had to unleash the harsh reality of life
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HammondR wrote:
Anyone here with any knowledge of or experience with the Lowdown 90? I am on the lookout for a 90mm or narrower ski to go with new Dynafit tlt 7 boots for muti day trips and carting up more technical Alpine climbs with a view to skiing down the other side.

Seems Down have a couple of pairs, but a little foreknowledge would help. Was thinking of some bargain Fischer Transalp 88 before I saw all this.

Cheers.

I don't specifically- met a skier skinning on the downs late last season who said he was happy with them but I have read about Fischer Transalpin or Hannibal delamming really fast elsewhere. Look at the Volkl VTA 88 as well , Scott super guide 88!( v happy with my 95s) . I ll try and find the fis her link .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HammondR wrote:

Cheers.

I don't specifically- met a skier skinning on the downs late last season who said he was happy with them but I have read about Fischer Transalpin or Hannibal delamming really fast elsewhere. Look at the Volkl VTA 88 as well , Scott super guide 88!( v happy with my 95s) . I ll try and find the fis her link .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HammondR wrote:
........I am on the lookout for a 90mm or narrower ski to go with new Dynafit tlt 7 boots for muti day trips and carting up more technical Alpine climbs with a view to skiing down the other side.......

For an overall package of performance, weight, durability & price you can't beat the Superguide 88 or 95.
snow conditions
@mishmash, and @spyderjon, thanks for replying.

Apologies here for hijacking this thread.

I suppose I was enquiring about the Lowdown as I am sometimes tempted by the quirky or less mainstream (I don't come across many others with Praxis Backcountry skis).

I have (as you know Jon because you flogged me the bindings) Salomon mtn Explore 95's with Dynafit Superlite's. These are set up for my trusty Dynafit Vulcan's. My original intention was to have the Superlite heels remounted for the much shorter tlt7 boots for all my lightweight weakling needs.

Having stewed on the matter, I still anticipate using the Salomon's lots with the Vulcans. I don't want to use a Dynafit adjustment plate for the heel.

So, my solution is new skis a bit narrower than the mtn Explore 95's, with Superlite bindings quiver killered to save a few bob. In the spirit of thriftiness I am looking at bargain skis too, otherwise this all gets bonkers.

In an ideal world, the Salomon mtn Explore 88 which Sport Conrad are giving away for 199€ would be 177cm, not the 184cm they actually are. They would be perfect for my needs, as a slightly nimbler version of what I am used to. Cheapest I can find 177 is about 330€.

I have a chum who used Scott Superguide 88 last year and loved them. He is however even crummier than me. I was also advised that the 95 and 105 were the real winners in the range. Happy to stand corrected.

Hence enquiring about the Lowdowns. 425€ shipped with skins. Now if there is a better ski/skin combo available for the same price, I can resist anything except temptation!
latest report
@HammondR, I haven't been on the LD90s so can't really comment unfortunately. You'd have more luck asking on TGR, or if you prefer send me a PM and I'll pass on one of Down's owners email addresses for info from the horses mouth.
snow report
@clarky999, thanks for the offer. I have actually been in email contact with Mr Down, which was where I obtained the price and other information which wasn't on the website. I am understandably reluctant to purchase without some independent user feedback.

I may well venture onto TGR this evening.

Cheers
ski holidays
@HammondR, not sure if it helps, but I can offer some user info on the Superguide 95, which should keep @spyderjon happy after I ran off with them for three days Toofy Grin

In hardpack/spring slush conditions I used them after 3 days on Whitedot Directors which are 107. I love my Directors, but being a soft ski they were hard work as the snow wasn't softening early enough for them to make it fun. Cold temps meant spring melt occurred at around 2pm rather than 10.30am...

The superguides are stiffer than the Directors, in fact stiff enough to call them a stiff ski. They are also very light, but this doesn't seem to impede performance at all. I could carve them down a hard piste just as easily as crashing them off piste. Having had such a good experience on the 95 though, I'm not sure I see the point of the 88 – you don't need to save any more weight, and they ski like skinnies anyway.
latest report
@HammondR, why bother with all this techy lightweight stuff when you could just use any old ski/binding combo and then get all the weight back by ditching the two litres of tea in the metal thermos in your backpack! Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Having had such a good experience on the 95 though, I'm not sure I see the point of the 88 – you don't need to save any more weight, and they ski like skinnies anyway.

Cant speak to the specifics but
a) if you are doing serious vertical (uphill) you can never save too much weight
b) if you are traversing steep neve with only your toe clipped in it is an advantage to have skis no wider than your boot

Not saying either of these totally swamp other arguments for going wider just that there is a point to going narrower.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 7-09-17 9:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I wasn't looking at them , but i can't see the LD 90s on the website anymore - have they sold out? I m thinking between a cd 104 L 181 and a LD 102 in 179 - I need (want) a shorter fatter day touring ski..... maybe....
snow report
@Scarlet, I understand your point, but have to wholeheartedly endorse @jedster, comments. You may well be tougher and grizzlier than me - most people are. I did 12000m+ vertical on the Salomon Explore 95 and Superlite combo last season, with the 1.5kg boots. That was enough to convince me that it was worth hosing money at some 1kg boots.

Once I realised that I wanted to keep the Salomons for the burlier boots (which I need for potentially terminal descents), it makes sense to save a little more weight for the up. These are for use on multi day tours in Europe and up to 6 weeks in Chile next year, all human powered. Also, my beefy chums can lug bigger skis up technical ice and mixed climbs. I need help.
latest report
@mishmash, that's how come I was in contact with Down. Turns out they weren't big sellers in the previous early sales, so they left them off for this year. They do however have a couple of pairs from last year with skins at the price above (425€ shipped [is that about £500 now?!]).
snow report
mishmash wrote:
I wasn't looking at them , but i can't see the LD 90s on the website anymore - have they sold out? I m thinking between a cd 104 L 181 and a LD 102 in 179 - I need (want) a shorter fatter day touring ski..... maybe....

As above they're last season's stock, but if you email the guys they'll be able to tell you what they have left (I think they have a couple of various models from previous seasons kicking around).

As the the CD104L and LD102, the biggest difference is the amount of sidecut and turn radius. I would say the 104L will be a little more user friendly and easy going, the 102 being a little more chargey and predictable in funky snow, but requiring more ride input.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy