Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lack of mojo / enthusiasm after accident

Poster: A snowHead
So as many know I had a bit of an accident on the Birthday Bash which resulted in hospital, holiday cancellations and no skiing. But the good news is that I have been physioing hard, seeing doctors frequently and everyone is confident that I will ski without problems at the End of Season Bash. That, in it's own right, has made me feel much better about the whole palaver. It's nice to know that it's not a season-ender. It'll only tot me up to about 17 active days this season, which is a low for me, but it feels way better than waiting a full 12 months for the snow to come back around.

But for some reason, besides that, I have absolutely no mojo... like no energy or enthusiasm, for skiing at the moment. I am staying away from Snowheads, shying away from friends' Facebook posts about skiing... I need to service my skis this week as it's my last week at home before EOSB, and I really just cannot be bothered with it.

My question is - for those who have suffered debilitating ski injuries themselves - is this a normal emotion? I am normally dead excitable about skiing, but I just feel totally unmotivated about it. I'm kind of relying on the hope that once I get to resort, get my skis on, and get a decent day or two of skiing under my belt, my love for it will return and things will resume as normal. But at the moment I'm just feeling a bit uninterested. Is that a normal thing to experience? Skiing is my only real sporting hobby and this is the first time I've had an injury so I've not really got anything to compare it to.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah dead common. Basically its some part of your brain telling you not to get too excited because you know what happened last time - like when you went off with that red-headed stripper*. I'm a bit bummed out myself at the moment and possibly may need to cancel on the EOSB depending on how things shake on an injury I'm carrying.

As soon as you prove you can do it again the joy comes back IME at least

*metaphorical though never can tell with you
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As someone who missed 5 years due to a deteriorating back, which culminated in surgery....I lost all interest in skiing. In my case, I think it was me coming to terms with never skiing again.

In your case, you are still dealing with the injury, its rehab and the loss of ski hols....this takes time imo.

As your fitness comes back and the holiday gets closer, I would expect a gradual increase of your mojo....though it mightn't fully return until you clip on your skis for the first run.

Good Luck....and as the Irish would say, "You'll be grand". snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rule5
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
adithorp wrote:
Rule5

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Yeah dead common. Basically its some part of your brain telling you not to get too excited because you know what happened last time - like when you went off with that red-headed stripper*. I'm a bit bummed out myself at the moment and possibly may need to cancel on the EoSB depending on how things shake on an injury I'm carrying.

If it doesn't heal, come anyway. I'll cover your lift pass* if you chef for me all week (again).

Providing I can cash it in at the lift office
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh one thing I forgot your subconsciousness is probably telling you those Rags are too much for you and you'd be better donating them to someone who can use them properly wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely. I was in the same boat two years ago.

It took me a good long while to get back to skiing well after breaking my leg. I skied for a couple of hours in the snowdome about six months post-injury and was very tentative. I did EoSB about 7 months post-injury and my enthusiasm came back a bit in the sunshine. However I found it mentally hard to commit to the same sort of terrain I had been doing before the injury. It was maybe another full year of a lot of skiing (maybe six weeks or so in total) before I really felt back to my old self. Last year's moguls clinic was the moment where I realised I had got some aggression back into my skiing. I'm fine now.

I'd advise you to not push it too hard on your first day out. I got a bit carried away on day one and was a bit exhausted - physically and mentally - later in the week. Maybe try to treat the week as an easy cruising week, well within your old comfort zone, and see how that feels. Hell, maybe you don't even need to care about servicing your skis this time. Be lazy!

@Dave of the Marmottes, I didn't know you were broken! Sorry to hear that. I had hoped to ski with you this year seeing as how I'm not signed up to any lessons or other daft commitments this time.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maireadoconnor wrote:
Definitely. I was in the same boat two years ago.

It took me a good long while to get back to skiing well after breaking my leg. I skied for a couple of hours in the snowdome about six months post-injury and was very tentative. I did EoSB about 7 months post-injury and my enthusiasm came back a bit in the sunshine. However I found it mentally hard to commit to the same sort of terrain I had been doing before the injury. It was maybe another full year of a lot of skiing (maybe six weeks or so in total) before I really felt back to my old self. Last year's moguls clinic was the moment where I realised I had got some aggression back into my skiing. I'm fine now.

I had an injury where I was knocked off by another skier at Ski Dubai... if anyone knows it there is a horrible blind spot down the 'black run' and annoying kids like to jump off the button lift there. It's a bit of an accident hot spot but the patrols are unable to do anything about it because of arabic politics. In any case yeah it smashed my confidence, it took me about 2 weeks of skiing to start committing to the same difficulty as before. That said this year's injury was not gained in a single accident, it started small and I made it worse, so I don't know if it'll be the same logic, since I skied through it and only bottomed out when it became proper bad. So I don't have like a particularly horror memory or anything.

Quote:

I'd advise you to not push it too hard on your first day out. I got a bit carried away on day one and was a bit exhausted - physically and mentally - later in the week. Maybe try to treat the week as an easy cruising week, well within your old comfort zone, and see how that feels. Hell, maybe you don't even need to care about servicing your skis this time. Be lazy!

I'm hoping to treat the first few days of EOSB exactly this way. 10am starts, focus on smooth cruising, nice turns, good quality skiing... and home for a beer before the snow gets too wrecked. I will do some off piste but I won't be looking to score any Gnar points. I will escalate it only as my comfort allows me to. The purpose of this EOSB, for me, is to end the ski season in a positive mindset and get myself out of this mojo black hole.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

10am starts, focus on smooth cruising, nice turns, good quality skiing... and home for a beer before the snow gets too wrecked.

That sounds like an excellent plan. In fact, that sounds similar to the week I have promised I'll have. My husband @Matwall is insisting that I 'have a holiday' and not spend the whole week hooning around making lots of plans. I would say, let's plan to have a beer together... but that would be breaking the rules about making plans. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suspect you'll come back round. Maybe before EoSB, maybe during it, or maybe mid-June. Right now you're focusing on the bad bits of skiing. Don't try to force it and you'll be fine.

I've not been out long term injured so the only experience I've got that rings similar is with motorsport. Rule changes and class changes mean that the competition isn't what it used to be and I spent a lot of last season a bit disinterested and felt like I was going through the motions. But the entry form for an event at the end of April has just arrived in my inbox and I can't wait to send it back Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I got helicoptered off the mountain in Cervinia December 2016. Had a bad fall (off side of piste) helmet split in 2! Luckily only concussion and heavy bruising. I had another trip booked with the wife in La Thuile for February. Never told her but I wanted to cancel. I experienced the exact same emotions you mentioned.
However once I got back on the snow after an hour, the buzz came right back & made me more determined not to let the accident put fear in my mind.
Had an amazing trip - am now grateful for the whole experience as I believe it has made me a better skier.
PS - Off to 3V for Easter Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mrmagoo wrote:

PS - Off to 3V for Easter Toofy Grin

If you're not on the EOSB itself, there will be plenty of Snowheads around the 3V for Easter, we'll be staying in Val Thorens
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dp, once bitten, twice shy.

I haven't hurt myself properly on planks. Have done on a motorbike (technically speaking, not on a motorbike when it started getting hurty). Give it a few days back on the planks....Your head will ignore previous pain and injury when you give it something nice to think about.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dp, Ok I deserved that.

Right now you need to concentrate not on getting back to skiing but on smaller goals. Build them up slowly until eventually you can do all you could before... Then get the skis on, go through the basics and build up from there. Once you start to think it's all OK, remember that easy blue at Livigno after your little scare... and apply rule5 like you did then.
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
@dp, Ok I deserved that.

Haha, you got it then snowHead It was meant in good taste, don't worry I have thick skin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy