Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New message from the Ski Club re the forum.....

Poster: A snowHead
This has just appeared on the forum page of SCGB:

The Ski Club apologises for taking down the open chat forum without notice, and we do recognise that we could have done this in a better, more user-friendly way.

Also, we clearly had not realised how much Ski Club members appreciated having an open forum, as against a members only forum. Because of the strong response from members, we are reconsidering that decision and expect to come back with positive news within a week.

Any comments???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do we want to go back guys!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cathy - Blimey!

Helen - don't know, I kinda like it here! I suspect I would post on both. Oh woe, there goes my productivity at work... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmm, what's the point of going back now, this forum works just as well, if not better. I can't really see any benefit of having the forum on the SCGB site except that it saves some of us a few extra mouse clicks per day!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I vote to stay here. The site is better and more user friendly. Most of the refugees are finding their way here so it'll be no work as usual in the near future.
I'm sorry for the SCGB but it was their decision. I'm also willing to contribute to costs if someone says who, how much and where. (I made this offer to SCGB as well).
I also think this could be the start of a new and vibrant club with regional sections, if we tried.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They didn't want us why should we go back.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Absolutely. The ski club clearly has a death wish, doesn't understand the digital world and is untrustworthy. Lets stick with this!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loyalty is earned, and more importantly easily lost. I hope the non-members stay here to display their displeasure at the way they've been treated.
If this site continues to grow, I have no intention of posting on SCGB again, even though I'm a paid up member until November.
The forum would have been a fraction of what it was if it would have always been members only, and therefore of much reduced value to all.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 12-02-04 23:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It'll be interesting to see what happens at the meeting tonight. D. Goldsmith will probably update us all in the am, or before.
Whatever happens I don't think we can go back. It will not be the same anymore. A certain sparkle will have gone from the boards as everyone will wonder if it's going to happen again.
We've jumped ship now (or been deported) let's live with it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No surrender no return

Words like bolted, gate and horse come to mind.

One positive aspect that has come from this though is that I think we have a stronger and closer community now.

SCGB... sorry...thanks... but no thanks.

Long live SnowHeads... for it is what we are. Mr. Green
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"The Ski Club apologises.." "We clearly had not realised...." "We..... expect to come back with positive news within a week"

So why wait a week? This forum is technically better (worlds away actually), but facilities like these succeed by volume of patronage. Let's hope this one keeps going. I did like the SCGB forum, quirky as it was (I particularly enjoyed having to download 800 posts every time I wanted to check replies to the Wengen / Murren thread in the resorts section!).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So what will they have to do to get us back?

The only thing I am missing at present is the beginners who ask nice naive questions and let us all show off our "expertise" by advising them. Seriously though, I remember my first solo venture to Val d and got lots of real help in answer to what must have seemed a really stupid question to most board users. How can we offer this service to newcomers to the sport? If we end up being a cosy "club" of in-people we will not be any sort of improvement on SCGB.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, I'm very close to being a beginner - to be honest I'm rather embarassed at racking up 150 posts in 7 days based on so little actual knowledge of ski=ing or snow or anything else for that matter Very Happy

Hopefully we'll continue to help new snowsporters share our addiction - I suspect we will - there's nothing like the corruption of a new recruit Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think I'll stay here (and I'm not even a refugee - just a willing member emmigrant Smile ) - it's the way the scgb forum should have been for a long time.
All are welcome here, beginners and all - maybe just need to keep puting sneaky subtle pointers on the scgb forum so that newcomers can find their way here too...

Stuart
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Perhaps, by way of recompense, the SCGB would like to put a snowheads.com banner on their homepage NehNeh
ski holidays
I'd like to thank SCGB for giving this forum a great kickstart Wink
snow report
I think this forum will first have to move on from the SCGB debate pretty soon and start generating useful content if it is to superseed the SCGB forum. The user interface of the SC forum sucked - clueless Microsoft losers who just didn't 'get it'.
latest report
Guys - I vote to stay here too. Could we do a poll thing to see what everyone here thinks. I agree that the damage has been done, and that it took far too long to get a statement of apology. Something else that struck me was that when the council ites got involved in the debate on the SCGB forum post MO day(!) they took a moral high ground type stance often emphasising how we were the club i.e. that it was not an us and them situation. I actually found the statement / apology a little condescending in that it very much suggests that it is a case of them and us ...

The SKI CLUB apologises ......... , and WE do recognise that WE could have ......

Also, WE ...................................... Because of the strong response from members, WE are reconsidering .............

My opinion all along has been that those contributing as in us were the ski club or atleast part of it. Maybe I just bear grudges too easily but thats what I think at the minute. Any thoughts? Confused
latest report
There is a poll at the top of the frontpage, your vote counts!
snow report
SCGB, so long, and thanks for all the fish.
latest report
Ooops silly me for not noticing the poll ..... jays .... what a great idea that was! Vote cast.
snow report
I enjoyed the quirky simplicity of the SCGB forums too. They worked in a minimilistic kinda away. Too bad SCGB made a mess of things. Why waste the effort thats been put into this site?

It would take major begging from SCGB to make me EVEN think about going back. Even then I probably wouldn't. Too bad for them. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
No going back now - U Brain's done a great job! A really welcoming and friendly site Smile
Keep it up folks!
ski holidays
Not much to report from tonight's meeting (which wasn't about this matter) but the Club's President is taking a close personal interest in the problem and indicated that their announcement would be tomorrow (Friday), so it's nice that it had already been made when I got home near midnight.

She spoke off the record, but (bearing in mind that she is publishing director of Hello! magazine) must realise the public has gone seriously 'AWOL'. Hello ! magazine would probably fold tomorrow if it lost the same proportion of its readership.
latest report
I've just posted the following on the ski club, and though that I'd share it here...

Thanks ski club... glad that you seem to be seeing sense in the end. Thanks go to the following people:

Neil Britten for being the member of the council to come in here and debate the issues. He could have chosen the easy option of staying out of the onslaught, but chose not to and (I believe) won the respect of the members for (1) listening to the members; (2) explaining why the ski club had taken the decision; and (3) communicate the e-members' feelings to the rest of the council to get us to where we are now.
Laura Zachary for remaining professional throughout and tending to the site.
David Goldsmith for leading by example through being level-headed and therefore guiding the rest of us to be constructive in the resulting discussions.
U Brain for setting up snowHeads where we have all been e-resident during these dark days.

Anyway, enough of my "you were wonderful darling, I love my mum" bit...

May I politely suggest that the ski club emails all registered members so that those who didn't make it to snowHeads will know that the forum is open to non-members again (when it is).

My concern still remains that (1) discussion will now be spread between here and snowHeads; (2) this was all a conspiracy playing the good club, bad club bit to make people think "they've changed their mind, they're a superb club who listen" and join when they hadn't been intending to before.

On that note, I'm going to conceed that I've had a few beers tonight, am typing b****cks and need to go to bed. Good night!
ski holidays
Sorry, when I said "registered members", I should have said "registered non-members". Oops!
ski holidays
mines a G +t luv Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I vote to stay here - however it will be a shame if the 'ski forum community' becomes divided between 2 sites, and the Ski Club's will inevitably grow whilst snowheads is limited through lack of awareness of it by potential users. But hearing the views of those Council members that appeared on SCGB to justify the action taken, did not do much to persuade me to remain with them - an elected member of Council saying he belives Council minutes should remain secret?? What's that all about? I shall probably visit both but this will be my home Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alexpresland wrote:
this was all a conspiracy playing the good club, bad club bit to make people think

Look, it will still be the same crappy interface which basically says we don't give a stuff about you. It will still be the same Ski Club that scr*w*ed us over only a couple of weeks ago with all that's yours is ours and you can't have it attitude.

The Ski Club is a like a mangey old, gin swilling dog, time to do the decent thing and shoot it in the head.

NehNeh
snow conditions
I'd love to stay, but I suspect that I'd be tempted back if there were a mass exodus from here.

I really hope that doesn't happen, for some perverse reason I prefer to be hosted by fellow fanatic such as Ubrain rather than an impersonal organisation. Confused
snow report
There's no reason to go back. We're all here now.
This forum is much more workable than the SCGB one. Its easier to browse, easier to keep track of threads your watching, and its easier on the eye.
I banged on for ages about the poor choice of forum software the skiclub used.
ski holidays
I want to stay here, and agree that the SCGB revealed what they are really like when they shut us down. If u brain has plans for this site, and needs help I would be willing to contribute time and resources to make it happen. Independence is a marvelous thing. We have no agenda, no axe to grind, no money to raise, no members to attract, no advertisers to please, no resorts to pander to. That freedom is powerful.
snow report
Those are very good points, Michael, and this site should thrive on its trustworthiness.

My argument is that the SCGB should (by means of membership) be restored and returned to those it was originally founded to serve - the skiers of Great Britain. Remember that its resources and assets are the product of over 100 years' hard work by people.

The opposite scenario is that it shrinks, by means of apathy and declining membership, into a little clique which eventually inherits the assets. This is not an unknown phenomenon with Clubs.

It would not be right for me to go into further detail in a forum external to the SCGB, but I'll argue the case for a low-cost membership deal so that people who are not going to cost the Club much to serve will not pay much to belong.
latest report
Idea Hi guys! A bit late, but I've only now discovered this place (via tortuous route through News boards) as a lost non-SCGB member. If I'm any indication there must be loads of SCGB non-members who used their board but have not found this one. SCGB has the advantage of being a more visible gathering point, and now they know they are (were) so popular they might improve their board software a bit. (Actually I quite liked its simplicity - but it should have a means of off-board direct contact).
ski holidays
Okay. So when the Ski club reopens the forum to the general public we should redirect them here!
That'll learn 'em.
ski holidays
I liked the format of the club site, couldnt fault it really. have you seen the mess that is the newsgroup Rec skiing alpine. Lets not go that way, forgive and forget.
snow report
David, will these 'lite' members still have one vote each? If they don't have a vote, won't that make them customers and not members?
latest report
Nice work gang!!!!! But lets stay here!!!
snow report
Gerry. Every member of the SCGB must have a vote. There are other aspects of the argument you're catalysing which are best aired on the Club's site.
ski holidays
David makes some good points.

Only one I'd like to add: The members of the SCGB were as angry as the non-members at the decision to close the open forum. Rather than just migrate elsewhere, the active forum members have put forward repeated arguements to reinstate the open format.

Those efforts have been rewarded with a climbdown by the SCGB (yes I agree it should never have happened in the first place) in recognition of the loss of your contributions and the devalueing of the forum. It would be a shame if everyone stands on their principles and avoids the SCGB IMO.

I'm sure there's room for this excellent site and the SCGB's forum to co-exist.

I was quite prepared to cancel my membership, but the SC has demonstrated that it will listen. Any organisation that can do that must be worth consideration, or at least an opportunity to repair the damage. Personally, I hope that the non-members do return at some point.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy