Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot hire leaves me in pain and now blisters need help please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
honestly, high arch, large calfs, odd size feet, wide feet, narrow achilles. All can be sorted by a good boot fitter. I know, I have all these problems! If you're serious about your hobby, get to a good boot fitters, it'll make your skiing experience so much more pleasurable.

>

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rm1982 wrote:
I've been quoted between £200-£300 for custom boots and £35-£50 for a foot liner. If I don't mind having last seasons boots then there's more of a discount. Tbh I couldn't care less as long as they don't cause me pain nor blisters again.

I worry that if Chance it to use the boots in resort will I still continue to have problems. Snowdome and our local dry slope centre only seen to have two types of boots to use. Sure in resort there would be more choice

Even if the boots in the shop are a few years old, as long as they fit then that is the main thing.

My first boots. £130 in sale and last years, second set ?£400 and most recent set £400 fitted and moded so 200-300 for good fitted boots are okay and if you get then cheaper then even better.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gixxerniknik, I'm so glad to hear this, I've been worrying I have to many problems for a boot fitter lol. I've spent 2 days in agony but I'm adamant our first ski holiday will be a success, we plan to go away over xmas aswel so I know if I buy boots they will be well used.
I just hope with my own boots there will be no more pain and blisters. Within 20 mins of wearing hire boots my calfs are killing me so it will be nice not to have this problem ever again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That price was for women's boots aswel, as from what I can gather off people and boot fitter shop the issue seems to be that all the boots I'm having off hire shops including snowdome are men's boots, it seems that women's boots are different and more wider so should cause me less problems even before I get them heated and moulded (I think that's what they do).

I'm gonna give my legs a week to recover until my boot fitting Friday Smile fingers crossed all will be ok
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ultimately you have to decide based on all the differing advice. Difficult. Worst case scenarioboots are crap. You've worn them once. They can be sold on eBay albeit for a discount. Alternatively they are fine and you ski happily for the next few years.
Hope whatever you do it's the latter

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@suec, I really hope the new boots are good to. It's eased my mind that the boot fitters have said even if I started having some pain 7 years down the line for example they will have them back in and do all the mouldings etc again with me. Tbh anything has to be better than what I've gone through for the past 5 weeks of ski lessons and hiring boots. I refuse to go to any more lessons without having my own boots so my husband has no choice than to get me boots, and I think he's fed up of me being out of action and him having to do everything lol so he definitely doesn't want to see me with bruises, blisters and legs out of action ever again 😂
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rm1982, Good choice on getting the properly fitted boots. It makes a massive difference.

As for your blisters....you can go down normal routes and hopefully have them healed completely in 3 weeks....or you can go for an old rowing trick (rowing..... a sport where you destroy the skin on your hands by training every night....even if you have blisters). Soak them in methylated spirits. It stings a bit (OK....a lot) the first couple of times but it prevents infection, dries them out and they heal up harder than they were when you started. Once they are healed and you stop training/skiing, use lots of moisturiser on the hard bits to get them back to normal.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
.....I've found a nice pair of boots (Head Advant Edge 105) for a good price and they fit me quite well. The dimensions seem alright (for example, I tried the "shell fit" test and had about 2,5cm [1 inch] of space between my heel and the back of the boot, which is the recommendable space).

Then, making some effort, in the store, I managed to buckle the boots up completely (at which point they felt quite tight, but still ok).
Is that a bad sign? I mean, I know the boots tend to "open up" a bit after a few days of use, so if I already managed to buckle them all the way up on the first day, does that mean they're probably too big?......

25mm shell gap recommended by who? 20mm really should be the max for a recreational fit. And that fact that you can immediately buckle up fully shows they're too big in volume too. They'll be like wellies after a week or two's use.

And too big a boot can't be flexed properly as the pivot point of you ankle is not matching that of the boot so the boot can feel stiffer than it really is. A 105 flex is a bit too soft for your height/weight/style - 120 min I reckon depending on the boot.

Maybe 2,5cm was a bit generous, it was between 2cm and 2,5cm (4/5" - 1").

I put a tube of mints between my heel and the shell and it fit just fine. The tube's girth is 1,8cm, and there was a tiny bit of space left, so I guess it was like 2 - 2,5cm.

On this website below they say the gap should be up to 3cm. Quite sure I've seen a couple other websites saying something similar (can't find them now). Other websites indeed say up to 2cm or even 3/4". So I guess it's up for debate heheh.
http://www.evo.com/guides/how-to-try-on-ski-boots

I'll try it again tomorrow and see, but as you said, I'm afraid the fact that I've managed to buckle them 100% may be a bad sign already...

But really, would you recommend a flex around 120 for me? Considering I'm still an intermediate (leveling up constantly, but still).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rm1982 wrote:
I worry that if Chance it to use the boots in resort will I still continue to have problems. Snowdome and our local dry slope centre only seen to have two types of boots to use.

@rm1982, please please please for the love of all that's white and holy GO TO A DECENT BOOTFITTER , not just a shop "with two types of boots".

one of the two might turn out OK but there's a high probability they won't given your issues and then you will not only waster the £350 but also screw up you 1st ski holiday!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@marcellus, the boot fitter I have found has loads of boots including a large variety for women.

What I meant when I said only having 2 types of boots available is when I use the boots to hire from snowdome and dry slope centres it's the same 2 brands of boot available no matter where I go and their always men's boots that are available 😕
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gustavo the Gaper,
Quote:

I put a tube of mints between my heel and the shell and it fit just fine.
Surely a pocket would be more accessible?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@foxtrotzulu,
never enough pockets, though.

ISTR that Frosty the Snowman skied for a week with his spare contact lenses in his boot. Maybe an idea whose time has come...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm late into this debate but after my experience some years ago I can tell you I know how painful ill fitting boots can be.. In about 2010 I had my boots (and skis) disappear from Geneva airport and I had to hire boots n the resort. Now I have flat feet and had moulded foot-beds . I tried at least 10 different boots and non wear comfortable..I almost tried snowboarding!! , I was getting blisters and sores on my ankles all because of no foot-beds. My advice is go and get your feet checked by an expert ..Now I have never been to this guy but he has and excellent reputation for giving fair and impartial advice ..google him.. CEM at https://www.solutions4feet.com/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One question (which I couldn't get Google to answer for me): What's the difference (and how big is it) between "regular" ski boots and freeride boots?

I'm considering the two boots below, and the Mach 1 is a "regular" all-mountain boot, but the Cochise is a freeride/all-mountain boot, so I'm wondering...
https://www.bever.nl/tecnica-mach1-110-mv-skischoen-pabbd52006?id_colour=4168
https://www.bever.nl/tecnica-cochise-110-skischoen-pabbd60007?id_colour=2218

The description mentions quite a few extra features (light material, less sensitive to temperature changes, easy to replace the soles for hiking, shock absorption, etc), but then do they usually offer "lower" performance than regular boots, are softer or something? Considering that I usually spend most of my time on groomers/bumps.
I actually just purchased both online to try them on; will return one or both if they don't fit well.

Thanks a lot!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy