Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot hire leaves me in pain and now blisters need help please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

We go skiing in 3 weeks and I'm having a complete panic on about ski boots especially as I have large calfs!!

Been practising on dry slopes and the only boots that have enough room or are big enough are the salomen (think it's spelt) with 3 clips/latches. I always get pain in my feed under my arches, heel and in my calfs. I get given the longest straps and told to wear normal socks not ski or tube socks.

Then yesterday went to snow dome, had same make/style boots but wear ski socks. I was told they didn't have longer straps that I normally thy just put them on the last fixture. After an 30 mins as usual my feet are killing me, after 2 hours my calf are tingling, by the afternoon my calfs are burning.

When I get home I have blisters all around my shins and calfs which has never happened before.

I'm at a loss as what to do about ski boots as to me surely they shouldn't give me pain and now blisters Sad.

Any suggestions
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You still should have time to buy some boots in this country. If you say roughly where you are in the country I am sure someone can suggest a good boot fitter.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm in South Wales.

I've been thinking about buying my own boots.

If I did buy some will I have the pain and tightness anymore then? Do you know why I have blisters??
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the case of the blisters use Compeed. Brilliant protection and cushioning to help the blisters heal. As someone with big calves, I never found comfortable hire boots so agree that going and getting some fitted properly is a sensible idea. Ski holidays can be spoilt by boot issues.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
In the case of the blisters use Compeed. Brilliant protection and cushioning to help the blisters heal. As someone with big calves, I never found comfortable hire boots so agree that going and getting some fitted properly is a sensible idea. Ski holidays can be spoilt by boot issues.

This is what's worrying me, we're skiing for 8 days in total and I'm the only one out of my family with issues. But these blisters are just to much to handle now enough enough I have to sort this out especially as we intend to ski twice a year I think I'm better getting my own skis.

Where do you get compeed from? A chemist??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A chemist, at the same time have a word with the pharmacist as they should be able to give you advice about how to best use them. I got a blister on the front of my shin from not having the tongue of the boot in the right place and not noticing. The pharmacist in the resort suggested a blister plaster but said I must sterilise the area before I applied it, I also got a set of shin guards to help protect the delicate area I had created. Worked a treat.

As your boot fit doesn't appear standard then boots fitted by a good boot fitter seem to be the way to go, hire shops etc only tend to have a limited range of boots whereas a boot shop will have a huge range to cover all eventualities. I don't know any boot fitters in south wales but I am sure someone will pop in soon to advise you. The process will take some time so it's always best to book with them and try and discuss your problem as well so they can advise you if they have some boots that should fit.

Good luck
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's probably a good idea to watch a few YouTube videos about ski boots, how to put them on, how they should fit etc. Patriot footbeds seem to make sense to me but there are hundreds on YouTube to choose from. If you do get your own boots, get some footbeds at the same time (I'm sure the fitter will suggest them anyway)

http://youtube.com/v/yeo_8CoGqUM
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rm1982 wrote:
.. as we intend to ski twice a year I think I'm better getting my own skis.
If you have to choose between buying boots or buying skis definitely buy boots. If you decide to buy boots its probably better to get them at the start of the winter, when the boot fitter will have a full range of stock to select from (especially if you have unusual shape feet/lower legs), than try to pick up a bargain at the end of the winter when the perfect boots for you might have already sold out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rm1982, I have to say that I've always found rental boots very comfortable and far more than the boots I used to own. The fact that you've had such a horrible time is probably down to one of two things: either you have calfs that simply don't suit the majority of rental boots and you need something quite special. Or the rental boots at the dry ski slope are rubbish. This is highly likely.

I think that if you go and buy some boots before you go there is quit a significant risk that you will still be in pain. Most boots, even the most perfectly fitted can have quite an uncomfortable bedding in period. Once in resort you can usually just keeping changing rental boots until you find ones you like. However, if you have weird feet you may indeed be better off buying.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all soooooo much for your replies. This is the only think that's holding me back is the pain I'm in when I have my boots on.

I have a few things against me it seems 😪 e.g wide feet, high arch, wide calfs. When I use the hire shop boots even though I'm a size 7 shoe I'm having to use a size 8 boot to get my feet into - talking to the boot fitter this seems to be where the problem is starting!. From yesterday's experience I have loads of room around my toes and my heal doesn't actually lay flat I think this is because my calfs are raising my leg up giving me a gap under my heal.

Im so determined to make our ski holidays a success for our families sake so if I can sort my boots out il be off so to speak lol.

The boot fitters can do everything I need within a couple of hours, mouldings, heated stuff, foot beds etc so it's a relief. A large expense but one I won't regret hopefully 😬
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Womens boots do tend to have a slightly shorter cuff with a more flared design to accommodate wider calfs. Not sure of the OPs sex but even if male don't rule them out if the correct foot size is available (sounds as if you have large feet though).

Buying in resort from a fitter with a good reputation is ideal as you can get tweaks carried out all week (well boot lifetime usually)for free. Also maybe look at boots with a mouldable outer shell as these often allow a fair bit of width increase. In any case, discuss all problems with the fitter and then let them advise. Another option is

Oh, thin ski socks are available e.g Falke SK4 & 5s, best of all worlds.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rm1982, A good boot fitter may well take longer than a couple of hours, especially with problem feet, but it will be worth it. Definitely boots before skis though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa wrote:
Oh, thin ski socks are available e.g Falke SK4 & 5s, best of all worlds.

I originally thought I was having an allergic reaction to my new ski socks thinking I should of washed them first as I could feel a burning sensation but obviously not Sad . I wondered if the stitching would cause me problems?. The ski socks you mention are just thin socks then? I'm not sure really what ski socks are supposed to do I thought keep my foot warm but it's all a bit confusing. I will definitely look at those socks thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geepee wrote:
@rm1982, A good boot fitter may well take longer than a couple of hours, especially with problem feet, but it will be worth it. Definitely boots before skis though.

They said keep the day free but usually they take a few hours. It's a relief that they also offer me yearly checks with them and if at anytime I start to feel pain they adgust etc. I'm feeling a bit more confident now that as soon as I get over this bad hurdle il be fine Smile

I wrote the message wrong i meant to say buy boots not skis lol. Xx
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You need to wear the socks that you will ski in for the fitting. Thin ski socks are what you should go for, like @Scarpa suggested, they are expensive for a pair of socks (get a couple of pairs and wash them while away) but they work well with ski boots and the days of thick ski socks are long gone.
latest report
@rm1982, socks don't really add much insulation compared to the boot liners. You want the boots to be very close-fitting, and thick socks are likely to mean your feet are compressed in the wrong places (=cold). Thin ski-specific socks are the way forward. Smartwool PhD are generally well liked, and cheaper than the (excellent) Falke options.
snow conditions
No wonder you're getting blisters, @rm1982! Sounds like you've been given boots that are faaaaaaar too big around your feet. I see this a lot at the dome that their standard boots aren't a good fit for people with larger calves, which is basically most women and also a lot of men e.g. people who play rugby. You need something that fits your feet as well as your calves.

You'll probably find that a rental place in resort will have a bigger choice and be more likely to have something that fits you better. But, if you intend to keep skiing, having your own, well-fitting boots will make all the difference in the world. Arguably good boots are the single most important factor in a happy ski trip.
snow conditions
@rm1982, I'm not sure which "boot fitters" you're thinking of going to but please be aware that not all boot fitters are equal!

If you're going down that route (and I'd suggest you do) then you do some research (on here) as to which boot-fitters are highly recommended and add in the travel time, you'll not regret it!
latest report
@Maireadoconnor, yep I totally agree. I worry that if I I rely on boots being ok in resort il just continue to have problems so buying boots seem the best way forward.
snow report
@marcellus, a dry slope ski centre an hour away from me has a ski boot shop with fitters etc. All the rest I found were in England mainly London it seems.
snow report
About blisters??? I've just taken a closer look at my shins and calfs. One leg everything's gone down after I burst a few of the blisters last night. Then my other leg Ann the front of my shins are covered in smaller blisters.
I've sent my husband up the pharmacy to get me compeed but there doesn't seem anything in their range online that suggests any type of cream etc for blisters just plasters which aren't big enough tbh for the area. There is a blister stick that u use before activity.
Any suggestions?
snow conditions
Go and see the pharmacist or if you have a minor injuries clinic near by go there.
ski holidays
rm1982 wrote:
@marcellus, a dry slope ski centre an hour away from me has a ski boot shop with fitters etc. All the rest I found were in England mainly London it seems.

How good is the reputation of the fitters at your local slope?

You say "England" as though it's an issue, you're in south wales so i'd suggest a trip to Bicester (M4, A34), you'll not regret it!
latest report
@rm1982, some hints on socks here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/gear/best-ski-socks/

I have custom foam liners and just changing a sock to a slightly thicker model really caused me a lot of pain. The ones I like (SK4s) are low volume, very minor padding around the shin, snug fitting and have a high level of merino wool in them for comfort and warmth.
snow report
Another question related to the same "boots fitting" subject (didn't wanna create a new topic just for this, but maybe someone can help me here).

I've found a nice pair of boots (Head Advant Edge 105) for a good price and they fit me quite well. The dimensions seem alright (for example, I tried the "shell fit" test and had about 2,5cm [1 inch] of space between my heel and the back of the boot, which is the recommendable space).

Then, making some effort, in the store, I managed to buckle the boots up completely (at which point they felt quite tight, but still ok).
Is that a bad sign? I mean, I know the boots tend to "open up" a bit after a few days of use, so if I already managed to buckle them all the way up on the first day, does that mean they're probably too big?

Moreover, do you think 105 is (in general) a good flex for an intermediate skier working to level up? (I'm 1,85m and 82kg / 6'1" and 181lbs, and like skiing kind of aggressively, though not insanely)

Thanks a lot!
snow report
Would recommend buying boots in resort - just trying them on & "fitted" in shop is not the same as skiing in them for hours. If you are in resort you can keep going back for further fitting & possible change of boot.
ski holidays
jilly29 wrote:
Would recommend buying boots in resort - just trying them on & "fitted" in shop is not the same as skiing in them for hours. If you are in resort you can keep going back for further fitting & possible change of boot.

Good point! My plan was actually to, if I really bought them, use them a few times in the indoor hall before going to the resort in April.

Which actually leads to another question: is it recommendable that you do the heating process before you use them for the first time, or it is ok to use it for several days and only then do the heating?

Thanks a lot!
latest report
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
Another question related to the same "boots fitting" subject (didn't wanna create a new topic just for this, but maybe someone can help me here).

I've found a nice pair of boots (Head Advant Edge 105) for a good price and they fit me quite well. The dimensions seem alright (for example, I tried the "shell fit" test and had about 2,5cm [1 inch] of space between my heel and the back of the boot, which is the recommendable space).

Then, making some effort, in the store, I managed to buckle the boots up completely (at which point they felt quite tight, but still ok).
Is that a bad sign? I mean, I know the boots tend to "open up" a bit after a few days of use, so if I already managed to buckle them all the way up on the first day, does that mean they're probably too big?

Moreover, do you think 105 is (in general) a good flex for an intermediate skier working to level up? (I'm 1,85m and 82kg / 6'1" and 181lbs, and like skiing kind of aggressively, though not insanely)

Thanks a lot!

Do you mean each buckle on it's tightest setting? I couldn't even get anywhere near that on mine, and I know they are too big!! Bottom two are literally just clipped enough to close the shell. 2.5cm is a big gap, that's about what mine is and I shall be getting some new boots for next season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
endoman wrote:
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Do you mean each buckle on it's tightest setting? I couldn't even get anywhere near that on mine, and I know they are too big!! Bottom two are literally just clipped enough to close the shell. 2.5cm is a big gap, that's about what mine is and I shall be getting some new boots for next season.

Exactly, each buckle on the tightest setting (well, maybe I could still turn them a bit to make it slightly tighter, but it probably wouldn't be that much more). Which is what got me wondering...

I'll check if they have a smaller size (don't think so). Thanks a lot for the feedback!
snow conditions
Gustavo the Gaper wrote:
.....I've found a nice pair of boots (Head Advant Edge 105) for a good price and they fit me quite well. The dimensions seem alright (for example, I tried the "shell fit" test and had about 2,5cm [1 inch] of space between my heel and the back of the boot, which is the recommendable space).

Is that a bad sign? I mean, I know the boots tend to "open up" a bit after a few days of use, so if I already managed to buckle them all the way up on the first day, does that mean they're probably too big?......

25mm shell gap recommended by who? 20mm really should be the max for a recreational fit. And that fact that you can immediately buckle up fully shows they're too big in volume too. They'll be like wellies after a week or two's use.

And too big a boot can't be flexed properly as the pivot point of you ankle is not matching that of the boot so the boot can feel stiffer than it really is. A 105 flex is a bit too soft for your height/weight/style - 120 min I reckon depending on the boot.
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:

I had boots that gave me blisters from the stitching. Competed works great but LISTEN CAREFULLY shave your legs around the area first. Competes are sticky and ar sore to get off.

I skied with compeed for 12 days on EOSB (you can leave them on for the week) and no blisters on return, but 3 hours in snowdome without leads to blisters.
ski holidays
Blisters = oversized boots and feet that are moving too much.

Compeed goes on and falls off when it's ready to. Marvellous stuff.

I don't think bursting blisters is generally a good idea.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Blisters = oversized boots and feet that are moving too much.

Compeed goes on and falls off when it's ready to. Marvellous stuff.

I don't think bursting blisters is generally a good idea.

It can also be a small thing like stitching. My boot fitter is great. He does some bloke called ted ligety.

Compeeds will stay on for a week easily. I know who to ask. My mate dougie invented them Happy

Bursting blisters is not a good idea. Happy
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, compeed, dougie, really? How cool. Most amazing things.

I take it you are referring to Mr Baxter?

Stitching could be an issue but surely not so widespread?
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops,
By using compeed do you mean the blister plasters?. Where would you position them, I'm guessing these would be used on day one of ski holiday?

Luckily my blisters are healing although where the front part of the boot was you can see a clear red lines of where the boot has dug into the sides of my calfs and got some pretty painful blisters running in a line - wonder if this is due to the stitching you mention?.

3 weeks till our holls and I'm not getting back on the slope until I have my own boots - hopefully will have them Friday.

Haven't been out of the house since I got home from my full day at the snow dome on Thursday, literally from my knees down I'm in horrendous pain, walking helps a bit but by by god my legs feels horrendous Sad
latest report
Firstly,

Snow dome boots are terrible. Get to a shop and think that they will last you years and factor in a price.

Where I had blisters (just below calf) shave and stick the compeed over the blister, or where it would be (assuming it is better).

@under a new name,

Dougie's first job since finishing his PhD was with Johnson and Johnson or smith and nephew (can't remember who did it) he is now a Prof in. Anada working on wound repair.

Yes Alain fitted my boots. He modded them after the blisters and they don't appear now but I still wear the compeeds in case.

Any off for brekkie here in Melbourne. Think a wee cycle along the Yara river is on the cards today. Then a beer.
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Firstly,

Snow dome boots are terrible. Get to a shop and think that they will last you years and factor in a price.

ah that well reputed boot fitter, but at least they weren't in Engerland!
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Firstly,

ah that well reputed boot fitter, but at least they weren't in Engerland!

I'm not sure where they are and boot shops in England and other countries are good. E.g. Here in Australia. All dome boots I've tried are poor. Even a cheap set of boots in a sale will be better. No need to break the bank. I've heard rentals in resort are good but no experience myself.
snow report
2 points
1. As above- own boots way to go. I have been on many trips with big calved friends who either suffer or spend every day in boot hire shops when could/should be skiing.
2. Epitact Epithelium products. Google them. The are superb at distributing pressure around a problem. But put a compede on before applying
snow report
I've been quoted between £200-£300 for custom boots and £35-£50 for a foot liner. If I don't mind having last seasons boots then there's more of a discount. Tbh I couldn't care less as long as they don't cause me pain nor blisters again.

I worry that if Chance it to use the boots in resort will I still continue to have problems. Snowdome and our local dry slope centre only seen to have two types of boots to use. Sure in resort there would be more choice
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy