Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets Made Compulsary at Milton Keynes Snozone (For Moguls).

Poster: A snowHead
Oceanic wrote:
@moseyp, Have you ever seen a sign saying 'Please wear a helmet' at an outside ski resort? I havn't although it's possible that they exist and I've never come across one.

Les Arcs in January had "We recommend that you wear a helmet" on the electronic signs at the entrances to the chairlifts.

I didn't realise that helmets weren't already compulsory in UK snow domes, IME H&S rules are generally stricter in the UK than on the continent.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nabus wrote:

I didn't realise that helmets weren't already compulsory in UK snow domes, IME H&S rules are generally stricter in the UK than on the continent.

Probably more to do with a fear of no win no fee ambulance chasing lawyers than H&S laws.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blahblahblah wrote:
Its probably driven by their insurance policy. I imagine they have a hefty 3rd party injury insurance.

Bang on. I'm pretty sure that most "It's 'elf and safety gawn maaad!" Daily Mail-isms are driven by conditions imposed by insurers who can't be bothered to understand risk in specific areas, only to reduce their exposure to the possiblity that there might be some. But still milk every last drop of premium out of the insured.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Pruman, not wanting to spiral this into the argument thread that it'll clearly become...but I can't see why wearing a hat would make that less fun Puzzled Wink

Lovely Spring day, big slushy bumps, warm enough for very lightweight gear, just the sunnies and the factor 50. Why encase your head, and probably your face, in foam and plastic when its like that?

Anyway, moving on, last time I skied Hemel they'd set up a slalom course right next to the tow track. So there were hefty kids skiing the gates at the ragged edge of their ability and sometimes blowing out, and a whole mix of people large and small going up the tow. Just seemed to me to be a recipe for various types of injury regardless of the fact everyone (except me) had a helmet on, so I switched to the other tow. I would have thought that protecting the tow track is more important than donning a lid.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pruman wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Pruman, not wanting to spiral this into the argument thread that it'll clearly become...but I can't see why wearing a hat would make that less fun Puzzled Wink

Lovely Spring day, big slushy bumps, warm enough for very lightweight gear, just the sunnies and the factor 50. Why encase your head, and probably your face, in foam and plastic when its like that?

MK has evidently changed since I last visited.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dogwatch wrote:
I reckon 80-90% of those on the slopes in Espace Killy are now wearing helmets. I imagine it is similar elsewhere. Resistance is futile.

I will be the last man standing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
I reckon 80-90% of those on the slopes in Espace Killy are now wearing helmets. I imagine it is similar elsewhere. Resistance is futile.

I will be the last man standing.

I felt like that in the Dolomites beginning of Feb ; seemed higher than 90%, but is was Cold. Would be interesting to see what the percent is on a warm day in March..!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wonder what the accident stats are at MK? It would be interesting to see, along with a comparison of before/ after that rule change. They're a private company so no obligation to release those data I guess.

I've not been recently, but the bumps always used to be tiny. Have they actually built decent sized bumps?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably for insurance reasons, any enclosed, indoor activity centre is always going to have stricter rules than the great outdoors where people will be far more free to take their own risks.

Swimming pools have long lists of rules about diving, ducking, bombing etc whereas there's generally nothing to stop you doing those things in the sea or open water lakes.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SlipnSlide wrote:
Swimming pools have long lists of rules about diving, ducking, bombing

and petting. Don't forget petting - very dangerous! Shocked Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think it is only 'heavy petting' that is banned in most pools!!

I have never seen it explained when it becomes 'heavy'!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nabus wrote:
Oceanic wrote:
@moseyp, Have you ever seen a sign saying 'Please wear a helmet' at an outside ski resort? I havn't although it's possible that they exist and I've never come across one.

Les Arcs in January had "We recommend that you wear a helmet" on the electronic signs at the entrances to the chairlifts.

In Italy helmet wearing is compulsory regardless of ski/board activity for all those upto the age of 14....

I dont see a problem at all, to me moguls come under freestyle - if they make you wear a helmet to go off a mini kicker, whats different with a bump similar or bigger in size
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TommyJ wrote:

Tongues
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TommyJ wrote:

Depending on height but I'd say that 15st would be heav.
snow report
Layne wrote:
TommyJ wrote:

Tongues

At the risk of turning into a Micky Flanangan routine Maybe NSFW

http://youtube.com/v/cjVSz_n-7TE
ski holidays
I can get why you might not want to wear a helmet in the mountains on a sunny day in March. However in the confined space that is MK on a Friday night in January its a no-brainer. Not a lot of evidence of Health and Safety on view, though to be fair the staff were trying to manage it, but just too many people skiing too fast and with too little control.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy