Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tech bindings on FAT skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have experience of using tech bindings on fat and heavy powder skis?

Currently have guardians on my Sick Day 125s, which is all fine and well for skiing, but it's a really heavy package for touring!

I'm obviously not looking for super light as the skis are pretty heavy anyway, the set up is used 90% for resort skiing but I do like to do a few short tours once the resort is tracked out (+-2hrs up), say one day of every 7 skiing). I'll also be skiing these on piste on groomed runs when the weather gods aren't kind (ie I wouldn't take 2 sets of skis to an expected snow filled holiday, think Japan/Utah).

My only concern is if tech bindings will be able to 'drive' the wide waisted skis?

I already have beast 14s and compatable boots so would just need to QK the pow skis, but don't want to waste time and money if the result won't be suitable.

Hopefully not too daft a question,

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had old school Dynafit TLT Speeds on 193 EHPs and 184 Lotus 120s, plus Kingpins on Showdown 115s and now Countdown 107s.

No issues at all, other than this inherent to the bindings.

However I just put Guardians on my Throwdown 125s, which I'll use 90+% from the lifts (but want to be able to skin in/out of lines). Personally no way I want tech bindings on skis I have no intention of touring with and every intention of skiing fast and jumping off stuff and needing to put on again in deep snow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For the pushing you are describing you already have the right set up.
If you have bought the beasts you are committed to another set up.
I have had beasts on the liberty g-nomes which is 122 underfoot which seems to work fine, also on my deep powder seeker of choice (at the moment) the G3 empire carbon again 120 ish underfoot.
What I will add is your boots will have a greater impact on how the ski skis. I.E. if you have gone super light don't be pairing it with a pair of heavy chargers and vice versa
If you want a single quiver set up for one week hero holidays keep with your guardians (if you have suitable baggage allowance) going tech on resort is kinda overkill.
No need to QK your sticks if you aren't committed to of buying LOTS of skis you are simply adding another £100 to the cost. Spend it on more days skiing. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got Beasts on my Automatic 117's, they're fine......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@wideboy, I've got Tech Bindings on all my skis, and don't have any problems on/off piste or in deep snow. The Beast heel in particular is ideal for this as the heel step in DIN is around 4, independent of the release value you dialed in.

I have Plum Guide's and Dynafit Radical 2's on 112 waist skis, and Beast 16's on 120, 124 and 148 waist skis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@wideboy, most of the newer tech bindings have fairly wide bolt patterns; even the very lightweight ones. I'm thinking the ATK raider and Salomon MTN specifically. No real problems with driving a heavy ski there. Perhaps older Dynafits with narrower bolt spacings would be at risk from pulling out under high torsional/prying loads. I run Vipecs on Down CD 114s and no probs at all.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the opinions folks.

Santa brought me the Beasts for xmas, with a view to fitting them to another pair of skis regardless, so no extra commitment either way for me changing the pow skis over. Haven't had a chance to use them yet due to the rather poor Scottish winter so far, so no experience of how they ski. They're designed as more of a freeride backcountry binding than an out and out tourer (and the weight reflects that) so i'd thought they should be fine for bigger skis.

I'll be using the fat skis with my regular boots (Salomon Quest with tech compatable soles) so no issues on that end.

I think i'm going to give it a bash and QK both sets of skis, although I'll reserve final judgement until i've skied them on my 107mm planks.

Actually, with the weight saving over both sets of skis (both currently on guardians) I could maybe even travel with 2 pairs of skis without getting hit for overweight baggage when flying...

Cheers!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just changed over to beast 14s and use them on 88mm and 122mm skis. Just done 2 weeks on them and haven't noticed any difference over guardians I used to have - other than a slight faff stepping in...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@wideboy, Got Beast 16's on my 108 Ranger CL's and move across on powder days QK'd onto my Ragnarok CL's, works fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dynafit Radical 2.0s (120mm brakes) QK'ed across 98s, Wailer 112, Lotus 120 and Spoon 138. All good except brakes are too narrow for 138s so i use a leash on them - works and walks just fine. BD leash from Spyderjon - don't even need to take the leash off when putting skins on/off and they have a breaking strain fuse so the leash breaks before your leg (hopefully).
Fly with the whole quiver and just the one set of bindings Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd second the view that the limitation on Beast 14s is the boots you use them with rather than the bindings. I've got fairly light (not very light) with my touring boots and am now having a debate about quiverkilling alpine bindings onto my R108s or buying a tech compatible freeride boot. It never ends does it?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

or buying a tech compatible freeride boot. It never ends does it?

@jedster, What size feet are you, my mate is selling a new pair of Dynafit Mercurys in 27.5, never worn. I wear these with my Beasts on R108's, great set up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29,
27 or 27.5 generally
I think they are bit close to what I have already although I'm sure would ski better.
Do you have a sense how the sizing compares to other brands?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, Sorry no idea but pretty similar I think although they do have a narrow heel box which I like, I ski Daynafit Mercurys 27.5 and used to have same size Technicas before, 2 pairs. The Mercurys have a really light shell, short BSL and are super warm in comparison to previous boots I've had, maybe the liner is better quality I don't know. Spyderjon knows all about that sort of stuff, I just ski in them and they work! Maybe Jon could advise further. Me and my mate like them so much we bought a spare pair each before they finished the model last season, he's since got into telemarking and has bough some Scarpa boots, so he said he's selling the Mercurys. PM me if you want his details.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29, is that Dan?
snow conditions
@Markymark29,

I'm heading to the Alps tomorrow and am going to experiment with a booster strap (the boots aren't that soft but they are low at the front so I can bend the liner over the top if you see what I mean, I reckon a booster from higher spine round the liner might help). If that doesn't work I'll drop you a line.
snow conditions
@jedster, Copious amounts of duct tape should help! wink Have fun
snow report
Also agree boots are more important consideration than bindings (for me at least). Even though the Scarpa Freedom SL is not a bad compromise, I found on the Corvus Freebird (w Kingpins) my boot would flex more readily than my ski. Less of a problem on the softer Soul 7 (w Beast 14s).
latest report
I have Plum Yaks on Whitedot cl Redeemers which are something like 125mm at the waist. I went brakeless to further save weight. Perfect set up for me. Previously I was skiing dukes on the non-carbon version of the same ski. No difference in performance whatsoever.

As above, alot of people now swear by the Kingpins.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy