Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who has the right of way?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
No doubt lots of people at resorts ride worse than you. It's your choice if you want to make that your problem.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@zikomo,
Quote:

I have never, ever, come close to colliding with anyone ....I have seen and experienced many near misses

There you have it Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@zikomo, Nice work - having criticised my post for being pejorative you then launch into an ad hom criticism of me without knowing anything about how I ski other than that I've been honest enough to say I skied over someone's skis once when they and their girlfriend clearly breached the rules.

It might surprise you but I don't actually ski like an unguided missile or a blue run bullet and have successfully avoided injury collisions (with others) all my ski life to date.

I agree that it takes 2 to tango to ensure safety for all. I simply have a different perspective to you on whether ultimately it places sole responsibility on the uphill skier to ensure safety - I think that culture is downright dangerous, the uphill skier is definitely not always an expert adult but may be a beginner out of control or a child. I remain appalled by the attitude shown by many ski instructors and their classes to the code. The code remains seriously flawed as not only many skiers fail to know all of it, many that do assign false priorities to the sections. Best to follow all of it to stay safe then keep an eye out for the very many people who are incapable of following it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Strax, Sorry Strax, not sure that I fully understand what you mean? What I mean is I have seen many near misses, and some of them involved members of my party (including my children). All were caused by a lack of skill or awareness. I have to say I have personally only been hit once (3 cracked ribs) by a skier losing it on an icy (small) couloir and sliding straight into me at speed, skis first. I commonly make adjustments to my choice of line or speed based on what I see uphill or to the side of me - the most common being to exit the piste when I see a blue run warrior (sometimes on a red run) very obviously skiing at a speed beyond their ability. Better to do that and wait for them to pass if possible I find.

Just to give an example of what I mean by "experienced" in this context. Skiing with my 6 year old son on a home run, where 2 runs converge into a flat run out where keeping your speed is helpful to avoid having to pole. Converged piste is very wide (40M), snowboarder comes from the right, at high speed, continues all the way across to the far left (where we are skiing) and wipes out my son - about 50M after the pistes have converged. I chose not to try and get my son to take avoiding action (I had seen the snowboarder coming) believing that would only make things worse if he did something unexpected/unpredictable. VERY lucky as snowboarder went over my son's skis causing him to fall, but did not make body contact. No serious harm done just a scare for my wee one. Oh, and a very chastened snowboarder once I had had a few words with him. It was clear to me that he was unskilled and could not adjust his line at the speed he was going - clearly could just about hang on until he naturally slowed down on the flat section.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ Not sure I get this - you made a conscious decision to allow you son to get hit rather than getting him to stop or accelerating yourself into a position to take the impact?

See how easy it is to make judgements based on a necessarily incomplete written description of a real world 3d incident

wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I think we agree on lots here, if you read my comment fully you will see I agree that all rules should be followed at all times - so the uphill skier has responsibility as per the right of way rule, and anyone joining the pistes ALSO has responsibility under the joining the piste rule. They are not exclusive, in fact are designed to be complimentary. All I object to is the apportioning of blame to a downhill skier (because they broke a rule) in a way that exonerates the uphill skier from breaking a different rule. Both are at fault. But I have to say I agree with the film posted by the OP, that if we all choose to prioritise the uphill/downhill rule we will reduce risk of collision and injury - I don't think that is explicit in the current FIS guidelines but in my opinion it is the right thing to do. And that is the choice that I make in my own skiing - with a result that I have not come close to making contact from above with anyone over decades of extensive skiing. I don't think I have JUST been lucky (although it is an element when it comes to real, freak accidents), rather I have reduced the risk.

I do not make any criticism of you or your skiing ability - in fact, I state there is absolutely no way I could know that. I merely disagree with your hypothesis that those who do not "regularly come across stupid behaviour" must be inexperienced or skiing in a bubble. I certainly do regularly see such behaviour it just does not translate into me making contact or having near misses from uphill of the stupid behaviour. I therefore simply suggest, while admitting that I could well not have the best approach, that you might like to consider changing something in the way you ski to reduce the incidence of contact that you experience as it seems higher than it could be.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
^ Not sure I get this - you made a conscious decision to allow you son to get hit rather than getting him to stop or accelerating yourself into a position to take the impact?

See how easy it is to make judgements based on a necessarily incomplete written description of a real world 3d incident

wink

What? Who would ever make such an assumption? Ad who would ever accuse a parent of deliberately and consciously choosing to allow a small child to "get hit". Of course I did all I could to minimise the risk to my son as would any responsible parent. And for the record blocking or taking the impact was simply not an option - I will not bother explaining why as it goes without saying.
I actually really object to the insinuation, it is deliberately designed to be inflammatory and says quite a lot about the sort or person you are, yet another very brave keyboard warrior. Actually quite unpleasant to even think of using such an insinuation to make any point, let alone one as asinine as the one you make.
I will not engage in any further discussion with you on this or any other subject, but will rather engage myself with grown-ups who are capable of reasoned discourse and able to accept there is more than one perspective/opinion.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@zikomo, I suspect @Dave of the Marmottes, was intending to indicating how it was possible to interpret what is written, in a way that gives a different slant to the statment than the auther intended... but then I could be doing exactly the same.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@adithorp, Thanks, I suspect that is exactly what he was trying to do. I object to the manner of doing it, though. Anyone with kids will understand what I mean and what I object to. It was ill-considered at best, but more likely deliberately inflammatory. Suggesting, in any way, that a parent would not or did not do everything possible to avoid harm to their child is always going to generate a natural response. Let alone that the description was adequate and proportionate - and certainly specifically explained why I did not ask my son to stop. But he still chooses to push that button. Sorry but I find that unacceptable and looking back seems I am not the first one to fall out with him. Only response is to ignore anything from someone who thinks that way.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@adithorp, thanks as I said nuance is lacking.

I do apologise for even mentioning zikomo's child in the context of abstract internet debate as clearly it is very sensitive for him.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy