Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to ski resorts - new French Environmental Zone Vignettes

Poster: A snowHead
Just applied for mine, the website is very clear, the only issue is attaching the copy of the V5. You are only allowed 200kb and it has to be jpg or png. After much faffing with scanner settings I found that a 300dpi black and white png could be read and meet the requirements. Only sent page 2 though as that has all the details. Time will tell!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. Applied for this earlier today and after I entered my card details I got a receipt screen (which I saved) after which clicking on "suivant" threw me back to the "enter your card details" screen. No confirmation that contained name, car reg'n etc.

Some time later, no email confirmation.

Do you actually need the sticker if you're driving in the zones at times when the restrictions aren't in force? I've seen that Grenoble is 8AM - 8PM Mon to Fri (I think) and I won't be driving throught there then on this trip but wondered if they're doing random checks at other times to keep people on their toes. I'm sure that the receipt without any evidence of what car it's for won't be sufficient if they want to see the sticker.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On my list of jobs for my next day off.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just had an e mail to say mine has been dispatched, 18 days. Wonder if they will get some more fonctionaires for the busy summer period. At least they have sent me a PDF so I can prove I have one.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
benwright wrote:

but wondered if they're doing random checks at other times to keep people on their toes.

No, they don't do any checks, only on high pollution days. Having bought one I wouldn't bother seeing that only about 20% of cars driving in Grenoble have them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway, mine was dispatched today too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got a PDF yesterday confirming I've paid so will just keep with other car paperwork, high viz jackets, spare bulbs and happy smile for grumpy French policeman in case I get stopped.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sticker arrived while we were away, speeds on the Rocade around Grenoble were reduced on our return.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My emission sticker arrived today and within 4 working days.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
skitow wrote:
.. but I find it hard to believe that a Hdi diesel engine with a CAT and DPF is more polluting than a 12 year old petrol car as that is the way it comes out on that calculator for the cars we have. I know it is the very small particles from the diesel that they are targeting but I am still surprised.

Actually it's not just the very small particulates (PM10 and PM2.5) from diesels that they are targetting, but also the oxides of Nitrogen (NOx). Diesel engine cars produce many times the NOx emissions of petrol engined cars.

These are the Euro 6 standards

Pollutant Petrol Diesel

CO 1.0 gram 0.5 gram

NOx 0.06 gram 0.08 gram

Particulates 6x10+11 6x10+11

Obviously, as your link suggests, if manufacturers don't respect those limits there is a problem.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I drove to Paris, La Defense, and back yesterday. I had applied for one and took the PDF with me just in case. I saw just one car displaying the sticker during the whole day !
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@anarchicsaltire, still waiting for mine, well over a month now.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Yoda, you may want to chase yours as I applied last week and it came today. The hardest part was getting the scan of the registration certificate below 400mb. In the end I took a picture of it with my iPhone and saved it on the smallest setting. It seems to have worked as I now have the certificate.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@lynnecha, car sticker finally arrived this morning. Just waiting for the one for the bike now....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As I'm driving past Grenoble on Wednesday for the first time for ages thought I'd better get one on order. 4.20€ delivered here so hopefully won't take long.
snow conditions
Drove down to Montalbert La Plagne yesterday with no sticker. Didn't see any signs or details about stickers anywhere. Have yet to see a french car with one on.
ski holidays
Dont think you need one for that drive. I can't go anywhere without passing Grenoble and all the roads there are included in the scheme.
snow conditions
Mine arrived after about a week, total cost incl. postage and currency conversion, £4.24 - Strange that the acknowledgement page is in English but the instructions on where to fit are in French ... after checking on the web, it's placed on the bottom right (sitting on the inside) with the sticky side outwards.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 1-07-17 13:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, unless you went into the centre of Paris, or onto the Rocade in Grenoble you are unlikely to notice any restrictions at the moment, so no need for a sticker. Even then you only need one if the restrictions are in place.
latest report
@Hells Bells, Not disagreeing, but given the amount of froth in Le Dauphiné about the pollution levels in Chambéry, it can't be long before Le Maire is forced to join in, so for me it was a thing to get out of the way for next season. When the high pressure sets in for the summer I think we will see more restrictions as the pollution can't escape. And of course, British plates will probably be targeted first.....
ski holidays
@chocksaway, I am not saying it won't extend to other areas, just that it doesn't at present.
snow report
Mine was delivered yesterday, only 5 days, obviously quicker as within France.

As an aside I think I've identified routes around Grenoble where you can get away without one. May be useful if I need to go somewhere when restrictions are in place.
latest report
If you are only passing through occasionally then paying the fine is not really a big deal :-

Attention : Conformément à l'article R 411-19 du Code de la route, les véhicules qui circulent sans autorisation lors des pics de pollution s'exposent à une amende de classe 2 (22 € si payée dans les 3 jours, 35 € si payée dans les 45 jours, 75 euros pour paiement après 45 jours).

Obviously if they turn you back it's a bit of a bigger problem Toofy Grin but it does not mention that.
snow conditions
We were down in Bayonne with French friends this last weekend.
He's head teacher and education consultant for the region.
When we told him about our Crit'air sticker he laughed and said we were fools.
The whole set-up was a farce, he told us, and no Frenchie was buying them.
That seems to be the history of the EU: us Brits followed the regulations and moaned - the French ignored the regulations and laughed.
latest report
I've seen one or two in windscreens here and have spoken to Grenoblois who have them. Grenoble is the most widely affected though.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:

When we told him about our Crit'air sticker he laughed and said we were fools..

Same reaction from my colleagues at work, they were holding there little ribs when I said I'd got one. There seem to be less cars in the car park now with them than in the winter.
I bought one because the company I work for (not the same as the company I work at) said I'd be docked pay if I came into work late due to having been stopped by the plod without one.
ski holidays
I was in Halfrauds yesterday and people are still buying Breathalysers at £4.00 a box.......
One guy was buying an AA euro driving kit (which doesn't contain a breathalyser)..
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, although there is no longer a fine, I think you are still supposed to have one in the car, but quite what the point is of that I'm not sure.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I still carry around a box of random spare bulbs but I suspect none fit my car and if they did I probably couldn't change them anyway 😃
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, Yep, I have a pack in my car but they are well past their best before date
@Claude B, same here.
ski holidays
Well, the issue with these things isn't whether they're meaningful, or adhered to by locals. It's a case of not giving authorities the excuse to hassle/fine you if you get stopped by a Gendarme who's had a particularly bad day and is just fed up and in no mood for an argument. Or some sort of crack-down by the authorities the day you're travelling, just to show they're doing something etc. etc. For me, it's worth a one-off £4.24 just to know that I'm covered, however remote the likelihood is of actually being stopped.
snow report
The rooles could get tighter:

"Paris pollution victim sues France for bad air"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40185217
snow report
Well pollution kills a lot more Europeans than terrorism. "Enough is enough", I say!
latest report
Communist France just cannot help but meddle in everything.
snow conditions
Anyone know if hire cars picked up at Lyon Part-Dieu Gare will have the vignette? I'm planning on taking the Eurostar to Lyon next month and hiring a voiture.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Well pollution kills a lot more Europeans than terrorism. "Enough is enough", I say!
Ever wondered how much totally unnecessary ski resorts with their associated machinery + all the skiers transport to and fro must add to this? Careful what you wish for.
snow report
Drove back through France last couple of days. Reached 39C in places. General 20 km/h speed reduction in place due to pollution and around Grenoble 70 limit rather than normal 110. No sign of any vehicle restrictions though.
snow conditions
Claude B wrote:
Drove back through France last couple of days. Reached 39C in places. General 20 km/h speed reduction in place due to pollution and around Grenoble 70 limit rather than normal 110. No sign of any vehicle restrictions though.

Restricted to category 1,2,3 around Grenoble last week. No controls though and few vehicles in Grenoble with the stickers.
latest report
It is mandatory to show the vignette from today for Grenoble, Lyon, Paris and other cities.
ski holidays
Thanks, davidof, we head off on Wednesday.
Will get the vignette on the car this weekend, and make sure we have all the other stuff the French demand.
(Just realised we don't have spare bulbs . . . )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy