Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets with visors

Poster: A snowHead
Gordyjh wrote:
@chaletgirl, My optician doesn't think varifocal lenses are good enough yet. I paid about £5 for some folding glasses in a tube that fit in the hip pocket of my rucksack. I hope that helps.

I did try distance contacts for a couple of days and got seriously fed up with having to put glasses on to read - something I've not had to do for well over twenty years!! Just decided glasses for distance (the bit I need less often as my vision isn't THAT bad - I'm only just past the limit of needing them to drive, I can see the signs but they are a bit blurry, not invisible!) made much more sense

altis wrote:
@chaletgirl, normal trick with contacts is to have one eye set up for long vision and one for short.

Maybe if I'm home long enough I'll go back and see what they can do. For now, I'm happy with my helmet with a visor and wearing my glasses under it!! I never had a lot of luck with goggles either, so the visor helmet rocks as far as I'm concerned!! Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One thing I did before getting contacts was some stick on "half lenses" that went on the bottom of the goggles and turned them into a kind of bi-focal.

A bit odd but they are pretty small and at least Icould read the map and didn't end up on a nasty black (again) after that!

got them of ebay - in +! etc like Primark readers - v cheap.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis wrote:
@chaletgirl, normal trick with contacts is to have one eye set up for long vision and one for short.

There are other approaches too.

I had my eyes lasered (can't remember what technology: the most expensive) and I'm in the "best thing ever" grouping, as are all my snowboarding mates, come to think of it.
I should have done it earlier, but more mature technology perhaps reduces the risk. I'm sorry it doesn't work for everyone, but grown ups have to deal with risk.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
philwig wrote:
altis wrote:

There are other approaches too.

I had my eyes lasered (can't remember what technology: the most expensive) and I'm in the "best thing ever" grouping, as are all my snowboarding mates, come to think of it.
I should have done it earlier, but more mature technology perhaps reduces the risk. I'm sorry it doesn't work for everyone, but grown ups have to deal with risk.

I am considering that. I'll need to save up for it but a few people have had good results. Not sure I can have it as my prescription is minimal and one eyeball is an odd shape!!! But I'll maybe go for a consultation in the summer and see what they say Smile

And risk is ok - I started racing motorbikes this summer, so can honestly say I am not risk averse!! Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I could roll back time, I'd never have done it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chaletgirl, I'm in pretty much the same boat, but when I'm away to snowboard for a week/fortnight it's in with the contacts, see where I'm going, enjoy the views from the lift and just grin and bear it on the reading/close up work. It's a choice......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you can just ask other people the way
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like the look of them and at the current rate of decline reckon it won't be long before I have to keep the varifocals on all the time so this would be a solution. Having tried one on I wondered about the possibility\probability of watery eyes when skiing faster given the eyes aren't 'sealed in' as with goggles? Anyone any thoughts or experience?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
robboj wrote:
I like the look of them and at the current rate of decline reckon it won't be long before I have to keep the varifocals on all the time so this would be a solution. Having tried one on I wondered about the possibility\probability of watery eyes when skiing faster given the eyes aren't 'sealed in' as with goggles? Anyone any thoughts or experience?

I switched to a visor helmet last year (varifocals, not attracted to laser surgery, varifocal lenses just meant both near and far were compromised and single vision means I either can't see ahead or can't see the map).

I'm not quite Franz Klammer, but skied in usual Scottish weather, so think I tested the 'wind' issues and had no problems that I can recall. I've got the Decathlon one and like it - I don't think it's the best looking, but of the ones I tried it was the one that felt most comfortable (one of the others was Bolle, I cant remember what else).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@altis, @chaletgirl, True, I have this but still need reading glasses in poor light eg mountain restaurants.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@irie, I would be unhappy with this quality of sight and don't see the point of having surgery and still having to wear glasses.

I also know a respected eye surgeon who wears glasses - ie he doesn't trust the laser firms with his eyes. My cousin is almost blind in 1 eye following laser surgery. It's not a good solution for my way of thinking.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been diagnosed with a Retinal Condition known as CSR. Basically one eye is pretty well shot. Had I gone the laser route, with one eye long sighted and one eye short, I would now only have one good working eye and it would either be only long sighted or short sighted. I am really glad that I did not go the laser route. I think that I will stick with the varifocals, though this thread has made me seriously consider a helmet with a visor, though I note that the choices are not that great ... shame that POC have not gone into this market.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am a speccy four-eyes and my visor helmet combo (only bought last year) is great. Can't wear lenses. Used to wear prescription sunnies a lot. Hated goggles over glasses as I have no nose to speak of but a huge bonce, which means my nostrils were squashed down by straining elastic and I was always steaming up as soon as I stopped. I was told by the woman in the shop that my helmet was the 'Shalimar de Guerlain' of helmets. It's Italian and leather and totally OTT but it's made a huge difference to me, even if I look like a Russian oligarch's granny.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@robboj, Well i'm no speed merchant, but i do occasionally hit 50mph and i've never had even a hint of eyes watering, except of course when i'm crying whilst contemplating my impending demise Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
@robboj, Well i'm no speed merchant, but i do occasionally hit 50mph and i've never had even a hint of eyes watering, except of course when i'm crying whilst contemplating my impending demise Twisted Evil

LOL, I think its just something I suffer from more than most and not any great speed at all.
ski holidays
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
robboj wrote:

I switched to a visor helmet last year (varifocals, not attracted to laser surgery, varifocal lenses just meant both near and far were compromised and single vision means I either can't see ahead or can't see the map).

I'm not quite Franz Klammer, but skied in usual Scottish weather, so think I tested the 'wind' issues and had no problems that I can recall. I've got the Decathlon one and like it - I don't think it's the best looking, but of the ones I tried it was the one that felt most comfortable (one of the others was Bolle, I cant remember what else).

@Yellow Pyranha
Which one DD you get the Feel 450 or the Stream 550 anyhow has it been if you skied in in yet. Must admit I've been looking at the Feel 450 and wondering....
I wear varifocal glasses, but ski in contacts which makes any close up reading tricky, end up holding the piste map at arms length!!
How is the visor for scratching, that would be my concern. I see you can get a replacement low light lense, but it hardly looks pocket sized for changing mid day. At least with contacts I can take sunnies with me and switch between them and goggles at will.
ski holidays
The Decathlon helmet (its the Stream, I think - they only had one model last winter) came with a bag which protects the visor when not on the head; I've never had a big problem with scratching goggles, and not noticed a problem with the visor. I find it comfortable - that was skiing in Scotland and, at Easter, in Italy, so varied conditions. Like any helmet, though, it's worth trying before buying - as I said above, the Bolle and Uvex ones weren't right for me.

I think you'd be unlucky to start with an unscratched visor, and scratch it so much it needs replacing before the day is out.
ski holidays
I find it strange that almost all these comments relate to people with some kind of sight defect. I bought one about 5-6 years ago because I thought they looked good and it was my first helmet. (still not convinced they are necessary). Any way, my issue is that, back then, the wind used to blast underneath the visor so it wasn't great. Ended up removing the visor going back to goggles. I have now seen newer models with a foam? strip on the edge of the visor which I presume eliminates aforementioned problem? Anyone with experience of these?
ski holidays
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
The Decathlon helmet (its the Stream, I think - they only had one model last winter) came with a bag which protects the visor when not on the head; I've never had a big problem with scratching goggles, and not noticed a problem with the visor. I find it comfortable - that was skiing in Scotland and, at Easter, in Italy, so varied conditions. Like any helmet, though, it's worth trying before buying - as I said above, the Bolle and Uvex ones weren't right for me.

I think you'd be unlucky to start with an unscratched visor, and scratch it so much it needs replacing before the day is out.

Cheers. I didn't mean change mid day due to scratching! I meant changing for light conditions between sunny and cloudy. The scratching concern was over time as a visor appears to be slightly more vulnerable to that than goggles, which can be easily removed from helmet and popped in a bag in your pocket, visors are a bit big for a pocket.

OM of Lech, yes the decathlon visors look similar to goggles on the lower edge, presumably for the reasons you outline.
snow conditions
Yellow Pyranha wrote:

Cheers. I didn't mean change mid day due to scratching! I meant changing for light conditions between sunny and cloudy. The scratching concern was over time as a visor appears to be slightly more vulnerable to that than goggles, which can be easily removed from helmet and popped in a bag in your pocket, visors are a bit big for a pocket.

OM of Lech, yes the decathlon visors look similar to goggles on the lower edge, presumably for the reasons you outline.
snow conditions
I got a Sinner Crystal helmet before the season in some Amazon clearance sale, it was stupid cheap, £18 and I mostly bought it to annoy my kids who insisted that they are are the most uncool things out, although I am never really comfortable with goggles so though it was worth a try. I actually tried it on at home to wind them up and realised it was actually very comfortable compared with my own helmet. I wore it for the whole week of my trip before Christmas and again found it really comfortable and what I felt was a great field of vision compared with goggles. I found the visor was actually a bit "light" for a really sunny day but solved that by wearing Bolle modulator sunglasses underneath Smile I did actually notice that there seemed to be quite a few people wearing visor helmets and I can definitely see how it would be brilliant for a full time spectacle wearer. Even my kids grudgingly accepted the advantages by the end of the week. I will be interested to see what it is like in really snowy conditions as there is not really the seal that there is with goggles. I assume you could still use goggles with the visor up but I did not try that as I probably would really have looked a prat in the conditions last week Toofy Grin
You do get quite a bit of "sonic booming" (at least thats what I like to think it is) when doing a fast schuss but so what ?
This is the helmet :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013JSQPK8/ref=pe_385721_134109111_TE_dp_1?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
t44tomo wrote:
yes the decathlon visors look similar to goggles on the lower edge, presumably for the reasons you outline.

Which is why my OH didn't buy them! He's a specs wearer and has had fogging problems with several kinds of goggles. He thought a visor would be a good idea but when he tried on the Decathlon helmet with visor he was surprised to find that it was just like a pair of goggles attached to a helmet and couldn't see that it would be any better at not fogging up than any other OTG goggle. He thought that it would be just a visor, ie open at the bottom. It's not.
snow conditions
@maggi, I think that a visor is still farther from the face than goggles and the ventilation is better so less fogging. I think that an open visor would be uncomfortable at speed
ski holidays
I had, in order:
- Beanie, goggles, glasses
- Helmet, goggles, glasses
- Helmet, goggles, contacts
- Helmet, visor, contacts

Overall, helmet+visor was the more expensive option. I bought a relatively cheap one (150EUR). Quality is good, but there weren't many options to choose from in that price range. I would not go back.

Disadvantages: less choice in visor types and colors. A bit more expensive in the long run if you ski a lot, as there is no guarantee that replacement visors will remain available. If your helmet cracks, at least you have a spare visor and hopefully no hole in your head. Wink Other than that, a tiny little bit of wind and snow might come through, though the fit is almost perfect in my case.
Advantages: one item of less gear to carry around, very easy to open the visor, lots of extra field of view (compared to cheaper/over-glasses goggles)

Switching form glasses+goggles to a visor was a huge difference for me, especially when skiing switch. I imagine that you get the same results with contacts + wide, curved goggles. But then, I never had problems visually with cheap goggles. I would not consider going back unless I found a big benefit in high quality goggles.
ski holidays
I have the Wedze one (2nd season now).
It has a yellow tint visor, which good in low light.
I wear glasses under it, and can normally see well.
I removed the tape from the bottom of the visor to improve air flow, as on damp days, my glasses still steamed up.
I might gently trim the visor a little more with an angle grinder to see of that helps.
Have to say that in really bright days ( the last 2 for example ) the yellow filter is not that good, so wear prescription sunglasses with the visor up.
Problem is that you do not find out the anomalies of each helmet unless you own it.
Trying it on in the shop is all very good, but you dot see how it performs in different light and weather conditions.
If I did not wear glasses, I would just use a regular helmet and good quality goggles.
Or if I was not a baboon and could take contact lenses in and out easily, then a regular helmet, contacts and goggles for sure.
latest report
Just into second season with visor helmet and enjoying goggle free life a lot. I have one from http://www.cp-fashionatsports.com/en/helmets/detail/cp/show/Product/camurai-carbon/

Came with an orange and a dark visor, both have a strip of foam on bottom inside which pretty much seals up the bottom from snow and wind getting in. I generally pick one for the day and stick with it. If i ski with a backpack then i will pack the other. On last trip i did manage to bend one of the visor 'tabs' in transit but its still quite usable. Might order a third.
snow conditions
I came out here with three pairs of 'test' contacts that I'd not used as couldn't get on with having to put glasses on to read (I'm so used to only wearing glasses to drive and ski!)

Anyway - when the temperatures dropped a lot, I was struggling to keep my glasses clear, so decided to try the contacts

Oh wow - contacts are my new favourite thing for skiing. Am about to order some more as I've used the three pairs now!

I struggle to use my phone or read a piste map (but I pretty much know where I'm going out here) and a menu would be a challenge. But the benefits for skiing are fab. Considering I'd not found any goggles to fit my face properly without glasses, I'm pretty chuffed with the visor helmet especially now I can put in contacts and not get misted up!! Smile Smile Smile

Just got to find one in a colour more fun that black Sad
ski holidays
I wear glasses for distance. Not too blind without them but they definitely make things clearer for me.

Rather than wear goggles over my glasses, I bought some clip in prescription lenses that sit neatly inside my goggles and they work a treat.

May be worth a go for you fellow 4 eyes out there who don't want a visor helmet?

https://www.spex4less.com/skiing-goggles

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 24-01-17 15:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re the comments about damaging the visor, and needing more exciting colours - my 8yo daughter has a helmet cover (bunny ears, always raises a smile). Perhaps if they did a few more of these for adult-sized helmets, with appropriate padding, that would allow a choice of colours and give basic protection against visor scratching? An idea.
snow report
Well, after not being able to read my phone or a piste map without glasses I bought a visor helmet. Result - in good conditions it works fine over my wrap-round varifocals, however in very cold conditions it lets too much air in around the sides, and on off-piste days it lets too much snow in. So overall works well for nice piste days, but not a full replacement for my Julbo Zebras and not being able to read.
snow conditions
Bifocal sunnies might suit some:

http://www.straightlines.com/BiFocalSafetySite/bifocal-safety-glasses
snow report
I don't have poor eyesight or glasses , I bought a visor helmet as my first one , years of Motorsport meant I am happier flicking a visor up quickly when I want unhindered vision

Have a photochromic rose tint visor for low light and black for sunny days

Tested at speed (97kph and no tears on an empty piste I might add)

I have a Kask Class Sport
snow conditions
Hi peeps

I've used helmet and goggles for years and until last year I've not really had a problem. However now I find in low light I very quickly go snow blind and can't do much more than a snowplough especially if I do not know the piste. My distance vision is good but Ned glassed to read 1.5 prescription. when I ski I tend to look to the distance, check where I'm going, who else is on the piste but also check just I front of me to double check for ice, stones, lumps and bumps. This is not a problem in good light, but when the cloud is down I find my eyes can't make the adjustments and I end up completely snow blind and disoriented.
I was looking for advice, I have thought of using my varifocals in low light under goggles, but we all know this really doesn't work. So was considering a visor system. Ive read all the above and there appears to be mixed views. What's the opinion of wearing glasses for low light to ease the eye strain? Do you think this would help. Or am I thinking of spending a lot of money on a useless quest?
snow conditions
Just returned from Serfaus AUT and noticed a significant increase in people skiing in helmets with visors this year. Both adults and children, and I think mostly non-specticle wearers (area dominated by skiiers). A lot of shop helmet shelf space dedicated to these helmets and models now available from major brands and starting to look subjectively more 'cool'. I thnk great idea for kids as ours always struggle keeping thier goggles in place, and one less thing to lose.

I tried on a couple for curiosity and surprised to find they quite comfortable and goggle-like as there is foam padding aroud the visor. Will consider getting one in the future as my current goggles are quite knackered and helmet getting old. I curently carry spare a goggle lens for alternative lightinhg conditions and concerned about protecting the much larger spare visor, whilst in my rucksack. My thought is to carry some traditional low-light goggles to use when required leaving the bright light visor raised. Thoughts?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 19-02-17 10:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Suzi snowflake, after 45 years skiing I have concluded that you need interchangeable lenses. Smith Chromapop sound interesting as we've been using Smiths lenses for the last few years with happy feelings.

So the helmet visor thing is somewhat limiting.
snow report
@under a new name, I currently use Smithoptic goggles with changeable lenses and on the whole love them. What I found this year was more a problem of the eyes not being able to adjust from close to long vision fast enough in low light. Which is why I thought with my variofocal glasses on it would relieve the eye muscles. I'm possible grasping at straws. Bollé do a helmet with interchangeable lenses, (two provided) but from there website it does not say how available spare lenses are should you want the photochromic option.
latest report
@Suzi snowflake, I have a Bolle visor helmet it comes with two visors for various light conditions. I wear prescription varifocals under the visor and it's absolutely brilliant. The spare visor is easy to change but a bit big for your pocket so a ruck sack is best. But i often wear the yellow visor and if it gets too bright i wear my Oakley prescription sunnies under that and it works great. So no need to carry spare visor.

As you can tell i'm a convert but after years for skiing in OTG goggles which pull your glasses off every dam time you take them off and constantly fog up, i'm now a happy skier. Smile
snow report
@gazzaredcruiser, great news, so how easy is it to get spare visors. Are they shop stock, or internet purchases? I was interested in the DL vario lense covering s1-s3. But since this is a blue tint I thought the orange anti fog, a dedicated s1, might be better for very bad light
snow conditions
@Suzi snowflake, to be honest i haven't yet needed to buy a spare visor.
ski holidays
@gazzaredcruiser, so what were the protection levels of the two visors provided?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy