Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets with visors

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I know this was debated back in 2014, but with the passage of time, what do we think of these helmets?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whatever floats your boat. I'm not a fan. But then I absolutely love my goggles.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saw quite a few people wearing them last year - mainly people wearing glasses
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
have had years of skiing with otg googles always find they lift off my glasses when removing googles. looking at helemt with visor for this year, any recommendations as to make
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gazzaredcruiser, have had a dainese v jet helmet past three seasons and as a speccy tw*t it has revolutionised my skiing. Never ever steam up and have great vision. I have three lenses dark, mirrored and yellow. Only ever wear the yellow and mirrored tbh. I will never go back to otg googles.

Have been asked several times where I got helmet and visor from (by our European cousins)!

eBay has a great offer on the Dainese helmet currently:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ski-Helmet-Dainese-Ski-Helmet-V-Jet-white-S-L-9779-Ski-Helmet/201719715795_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3Df1928b7233e0473e9be082cf188bfb5a%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D321284860651 at that price it might not include visor lens but no idea!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I saw a whole bunch of these helmets on sale last year at the end of season in Val Thorens the one just at the top of the stairs as you past the pool.

I really liked the graphics on them, but it was the last day of the season so didn't bother looking too hard.

Shame really as wear bi focals except in bed and it would have been better than the goggle phaaf.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gazzaredcruiser

I bought a Bolle helmet with 2 x visors (yellow and black) last year, visors are easy to change over and they never steam up when wearing glasses, I could never go back to wearing goggles
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've seen that Decathlon have started offering helmets with visor under 100 euros
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am changing to one thus year as goggles just don't work with specs
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
it is mainly the price that this holding me back from buying....and also the ease of getting replacement or diff visor.....any one got any experience of buying this counrty
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stevie.i

Got my Bolle helmet from Amazon, it came with 2 x visors and the option to purchase other colour visors as required, excellent service and am very pleased with it
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yeah just found it on web , 2 visors good deal
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes. Switched to helmet with visor last season. Great idea, not planning on going back anytime.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've only ever skied once with someone wearing a visor, and his verdict was that provided you don't fall over in deep snow, or get face shots, where it packed with snow, it otherwise worked fine.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone know if the Dirty Dog Apaches at £70 on Absolute Snow are any good? I'm a specs wearer and dont like googles over specs either so wouldn't mind trying helmet and visor instead. They only have a mirror blue colour glass though, yellow or orange is better I suspect in cloudy days.
ski holidays
@marmotman, my experience of Dirty Dog stuff is that it looks good on the web, but in real life it is pretty flimsy stuff built to a budget. I'd look at the Decathlon offering for a lower price and likely better build quality. Saw a couple of options for around £60 which have the visor included and appeared to be orange - a more sensible choice for days when you really need goggles perhaps.
ski holidays
Ok thanks everyone, now I must confess. I purchased and wore my Bolle visor lid last season. i'm a bifocal wearer, and no that's not a euphemism ! and it was the best vis i've ever had. Previously i've skied without glasses, which was difficult cos i couldn't really see! then i've worn OTG goggles which constantly seamed up and i couldn't see again! when I took them off they'd always drag the fecking glasses off as well, a complete pain.

I asked the question because in previous threads, the main issue seemed to be the fashion police, but this seems to have melted away now that they are seen on piste for often. I don't for one minute think the look will considered cool, but at least i can fecking see now.

I for one would highly recommend wearing a visor if you are a glasses wearer. the only issue i've had is off piste in fluffy stuff, it gets in the top vents! other than that they have completely transformed my skiing experience for the better. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Well many of us do think the look is cool, otherwise i probably would not have gone in that direction.
snow conditions
My best mate skis with one so he can wear his glasses underneath.

He can see.

But he does look a bit of a cock wink
ski holidays
As worn by Russian's (at least those I've seen), from the "I'll have one of whatever is the most expensive in the shop" approach to style.

http://casco-helme.de/en/winter.php

Some come complete with Swarovski crystal motifs......
latest report
^+1 - just because other people are wearing socks and sandals..............
latest report
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
I asked the question because in previous threads, the main issue seemed to be the fashion police, but this seems to have melted away now that they are seen on piste for often. I don't for one minute think the look will considered cool, but at least i can fecking see now.

They definitely look a bit odd for the minute. However if the alternative is not being able to see and falling over...
latest report
......then I'd buy some body armour and grit me teeth. wink
latest report
if you have an issue with wearing glasses then you need a set of oakley canopy googles.....i have had them for 3 years now and are friggin brilliant and i wear them over my specs!
snow conditions
Some years ago we shared a bubble with someone wearing one of these. It looked fine to me but, IIRC, she said that sometimes, when flipped up, it caught on the safety bar of some chairs. And I seem to remember something about being stuck with the same lens - can't remember if it was for ever or just per day so you had to choose in the morning. Modern versions may be a bit more flexible but it's probably worth checking.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:

You'd look a lot less cool in body armour than you would with a visor Very Happy
ski holidays
I love mine. Came with a mirror and yellow lens. Bought it in the local shop in resort because I was totally fed up with getting stuck with just dark glasses - no options for a flat light day as I hadn't found glasses to go over my glasses. Initially I just skied with goggles, even though I never found a pair to fit well in the first season, and dealt with the fact that I couldn't see brilliantly (I don't have a massive prescription) and then I skied with prescription sunglasses; but my eyes got a little worse and my skiing got a little better and I decided that I needed to find a better option. Last season it snowed so much during the days that I ended up hardly skiing, so bought the Bolle (I think thats the one).

As I ski solo most of the time, I can only embarrass myself, and since I rarely GAS what other people think (I have mostly pink hair for goodness sake!), I'm not fussed about the fashion police!

Having bought it, I skied more in rubbish light than ever before. Can't say it was exactly pleasant, but at least I got to ski. Was also ok when it was actually snowing.

As I don't go off piste, I can't comment on that yet Smile
ski holidays
essex wrote:
Well many of us do think the look is cool, otherwise i probably would not have gone in that direction.

You did look a bit top-gun (in a cool way)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

You'd look a lot less cool in body armour than you would with a visor Very Happy

Only if he went out without his jacket and troose on, so I'd say he'd be a good bit cooler Skullie
latest report
In that case I'd look bloody freezing!!
latest report
Friend has just bought one... so we will no doubt take the p/ss for the whole two weeks lol
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc, I assume you have 20/20 vision old chap! for those of us with less than perfect vision you should be grateful we're trying to improve our vis on piste.........otherwise we could start skiing into people Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
Was very short sighted (-4.25 and -4.5) and of course had to wear specs all the time.

Then had laser eye surgery (Lasik) and 15 years later still have 16/20 and 18/20 vision.

One of the best things I ever did.
ski holidays
@gazzaredcruiser, nope. But I use these new fangled contact lens thingys
snow report
@irie, I had Lasik. One of the worse things I ever did Sad
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc, my sight is too poor for contact lenses sadly, I have tried them on about three different times over the last 20 years but to no avail.

Happy Birthday BTW Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Thanks. I'd better get my DIN settings down to 2 !! Sad
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
@gazzaredcruiser, nope. But I use these new fangled contact lens thingys

I'd love to, but then I'd have to get glasses to be able to read the piste map/menu when I stop!

One day I'll be brave and try varifocal contact lenses (although varifocal glasses haven't been that successful) Smile Smile
snow conditions
@chaletgirl, My optician doesn't think varifocal lenses are good enough yet. I paid about £5 for some folding glasses in a tube that fit in the hip pocket of my rucksack. I hope that helps.
snow report
@chaletgirl, normal trick with contacts is to have one eye set up for long vision and one for short.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy