Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First pair of skis for a season in Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just moved to Whistler for the season and I'm looking for advice on buying my first set of skis and bindings. I'm looking for a single ski which will cope well all over the mountain.

I would say I am probably around the upper intermediate level as a skier, as I only get to ski one week per year, but I started when I was 4 so I've been doing it for 17 years now.

I say upper intermediate because I can confidently carve quite fast and aggressively down almost all groomers/pistes, although on very steep/icy slopes I do not do as well. I am also a lot less experienced on moguls, through trees and in the side/backcountry, as in the past I've only skied in Europe, where the main accessible terrain is almost exclusively groomers/on-piste.

Although I have spent all my time on-piste in the past, I would definitely like to spend the time in Whistler getting to explore more varied terrain, so I'm looking for a ski which can help me progress in that area.
I will maybe spend a little bit of time in the park/riding switch, but it is definitely not a major concern.

I am 5'9", and approximately 155lbs. My ski boots are size 24, and that is the only gear I own.

In the past I have always hired skis and just taken what the rental shop gave me without paying much attention, so I have little experience of what I like/dislike from the past.

There is a big selection in Whistler, so I should have the opportunity to demo a few pairs before committing, so any particular comparisons you can suggest I should focus on would be very helpful.

If there is any information you need to make a recommendation that I have missed out then I apologise and will be happy to provide it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you looking for:
1. All Mountain...more on-piste orientated
2. Freeride....more off-piste orientated.

Do you like a damp, stiffer ski or a more relaxed, playful one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old Fartbag wrote:
Are you looking for:
1. All Mountain...more on-piste orientated
2. Freeride....more off-piste orientated.

Do you like a damp, stiffer ski or a more relaxed, playful one.

I'm looking to buy an all-mountain ski, something which I can use 90% of the time, and then will probably rent some proper powder skis for big off-piste days.
I think I probably prefer a slightly stiffer ski, I like charging down groomers so I want something which can cope well with that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd look at something like the Cham 2.0 97's if you want something a little fatter, but still performs well on the piste, but if you want to rip the pistes a little more, I love my Brahma's which perform great on the groomers and are pretty good fun if you want to play off to the side.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here are some suggestions:

All Mountain

Völkl RTM 84 UVO
Blizzard Brahma
Nordica Enforcer 93
Stockl Stormrider 95

Freeride

Fischer Ranger 98 Ti
Head Collective 105
Blizzard Bonafide
Nordica Enforcer 100
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Buy two second hand pairs to cover all mountain/piste and powder. You will inevitably end up doing that before the end of the season anyway, so may as well just do it right from the off!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^this

Whistler conditions vary considerably, so likely your ski choice will too...
Luckily I get to ski there most weeks there so get to experience the variation!

I usually have my Volkl mantras in the truck as a back-up all-rounder/rock-ski. Actually these were my full on powder and mostly everything else but racing skis for one of the seasons I was in Whistler (quite some time ago!) - they are great skis. But would normally be skiing the one of the following:
- Whitedot Ranger 108 Carbonlite as an all-rounder (I'm good with skiing a fatter ski, even on hard snow!)
- Whitedot Redeemer Traditional as rock powder skis (and for rain days Sad )
- Whitedot Redeemer Carbonlite for softer snow days once the snowbase gets going. This is my favorite. The girth, rocker, carbon fibre goodness, and funky shape works extremely well with the heavier form of powder often found in whistler, or crusty conditions, as well as tight spots, etc... Not exactly a race ski (though I have tried that on them too! Madeye-Smiley)
- Atomic GS11 for the occasional bullet hard day - thankfully haven't had these out too often recently. snowHead

BTW. I'm pretty sure even if you consider yourself a mostly on-piste skier - that'll change pretty fast in Whistler as most of the (best) skiing is off the groomers snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy