Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

71% of skiers go 'out of their depth' - insurance report

Poster: A snowHead
Opinion research released by Direct Line Travel Insurance [yes - it's another insurance scare press release!] states that 71% of skiers admit to attempting runs that are too difficult for them.

For advanced skiers the figures are higher - 86% of them admit to skiing slopes "they were unable to cope with".

This report from ifyouski.com.

Do you scare yourself on slopes you should have avoided?
Do 'insurance scare articles' terrify you?
Are you immune to danger and totally fearless?
Are you insured against your own stupidity? [the question they want you to answer!]
[that's enough questions - Ed.]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you always have to push yourself a little, otherwise you would never get off the nursery slopes

1) Yes I do scare myself a little, but rarely do anything really stupid.
2) Insurance articles do not terrify me.
3) I am not immume to danger
4) I believe I am insured upto my level of stupidity wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you don't push the envelope then how are you ever going to figure out where your limits are?
The only criterion that you really should apply is: If I do this run, and I take a tumble, am I going to hurt myself or kill myself. Basically that means that you can attempt just about any piste as long as the snow is soft and grippy enough that you will be able to stop yourself when you fall. If it's icy then think again.
Off piste is a different story. Aside from avalanches there are a host of other bad things that can happen and you really need to know what you are skiing into before you do it, or have someone with you who knows the terrain. For example I once nearly fell into a crevasse on the Albona (St.Anton)! You would never have known it was there, and the first thing I knew about it was when the snow suddenly disappeared under me Shocked By pure luck I didn't actually fall into it, but...!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Always ski with your insurance broker
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure that I attempt runs that are too difficult for me. I do go on runs that I find challenging, but if we didn't do that then we would never get any better. I've never been on a slope that I've been unable to cope with, I always get down, even if on occassion it's taken me a very long time to do it.

I would like to see the wording of the questions on this questionnaire.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
'Winter sports' insurance costs more because of the dangers invloved, which is fair enough, and now insurance companies probably want to take the danger out of it..I hate insurance companies, sadly a necessary evil!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I never push the envelope, always skiing within myself. I have no scope for further knee injury and dont wish to jeapordise my time left on the snow. Just because you dont push the envelope doesn't mean that you can't improve and tackle harder slopes. It just means that you do it more slowly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My big problem - I don't go out of my depth. When faced with a blue or a red alternative (I'm invariably in control of the navigating round the pistes wink ) I'll say the blue is the route to take. I had to make myself not say anything on our last hols and if Mr C said the red then I went down the red (mind you, I found in Saalbach that some blues were tougher than the reds). I made myself do a tinsy black and boy did I go down cautiously..... Laughing

I think I need to make myself see reds as the norm with blacks to aim for, rather than blues as the norm Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cathy Coins, Do you not find that at the start of the week you will look to blue, but as the week progresses reds and even black come into the equation.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Insurers use statistics like drunken men use lamposts - for support rather than illumination.

It starts by saying that 9% have accidents, then goes on to say that almost a third have accidents. Does this mean that 1/3 have an accident over their skiing career, whereas 9% will have an accident in any one season? or trip? This would mean that the 1/3 that have the accidents will be having all the 9% of accidents each year. We have been going as a family for 5 years, 5 people, and only last year did we have 2 accidents. If you work it out on a per-trip (week) basis, then it works out at an 8% accident rate.

It means we can go like crazy this year then since we're not due for another just yet...

Do we scare ourselves on slopes we could have avoided? You bet. Were our accidents a result of this? No.

Why not avoid all slopes and stay in the chalet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would like to be "out of my depth". Please let it snow soon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A case of "out of context" gone wild or what. Be careful about how you construe this one - especially as the definition of "A slope they were unable to cope with" requires a bit of finessing.

a) Wobbling down a slope within your skill capablities albeit stretching them some, and probably falling down at least once withouth serious injury, but is enough out of your comfort zone to make you feel as if it's a big deal. Which is normal.

b) Litterally "unable to cope with a slope" due to injury on said slope. Frequently self-induced in over-enthusatic skiers who refuse to be realistic about their actual skill level.

A) and B) are really just different ends of the scale, but what's the point arguing A) when for all intents and purposes an insurance company is really only interested in B)?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I never push the envelope

It's OK, Frosty. The Post Office can take care of that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ditto to Manda,

I frequently try slopes down which I can only make 3 or 4 turns before needing to stop and reassesss, however I cant remember the last time I ended up on a slope which I thought to myself "im just going to have to slide down this on my bum". That said, I have seen a couple of the latter this week and it has been snowboarders on steepish moguls each time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes I attempt runs that are difficult - how the hell else do you learn and put into practise the techniques you've been mastering and practising on easy slopes?????
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Cathy Coins, Do you not find that at the start of the week you will look to blue, but as the week progresses reds and even black come into the equation.

Nope - you're obviously not tubby enough frosty (no insult intended, just remembering your EOSB posts!) In my case the mind is willing but the body is weak!
Day 1 - blue runs
Day 2 - red runs
Day 3 - contemplate whether will be able to get out of bed today, volunteer to stay with the beginners and 'help them' for the day,
Day 4 - red runs in morning goaded by friends into travelling at high speed/off piste, 3 hour lunch, contemplate calling for patroller to rescue me on snow sled as can no longer move legs.
Day 5 - cunningly volunteer to babysit - spend most of day sat on sledge
Day 6 - even more cunningly suggest 'we should all spend the last day together' - so beginners come along for the ride - ski blues at low speed all day....with one 'glory run' down black/red in attempt to prove I am not the world most unfit skier...

I'm pretty cautious to be honest and proud of it, better safe than sorry and all that!

aj xx
snow report
ajhainey, Laughing Laughing ah that did make me laugh!
ski holidays
Do you scare yourself on slopes you should have avoided?

I've even managed to scare myself on button lifts I should have avoided Embarassed Got my elastic jacket cord wrapped round one and the next thing I knew I was dumped on the ground having been hit by something. Didn't even know which way was up...
snow report
clara_jo, welcome to Snowheads!

I scare myself in bars, let alone skiing. "What do you mean a tequila-vodka-grappa red-bull?, is that a TV-grrr-Arrr?"
snow conditions
Over-terraining is a great way to become (or stay) a terminal intermediate....

what you practice as a movement pattern becomes ingrained...ingrained is hard to change.... IMO skiing stuff that is making you wobbly & causing you to fall all the time or need to stop every few turns is NOT a great way to improve....

Practice technique on comfortable terrain... then turn it up a notch... then back to the comfortable terrain... repeat

Cathy - you seem to have my problem - need to stretch self a little.... not easy but need to do it huh?
ski holidays
Manda wrote:

a) Wobbling down a slope within your skill capablities albeit stretching them some, and probably falling down at least once withouth serious injury, but is enough out of your comfort zone to make you feel as if it's a big deal. Which is normal.

I'm not sure it is normal, certainly I'd prefer it if folks didn't do this near me! It's not necessary to get out of control (if you fall you are out of control, right, or at least far to close to the edge of your ability) to progress - should do most of your improvement practicing at about 70% of your capability level - otherwise it's too easy to make bad 'coping' habits permanent.

There again I'm a self admitted wuss
snow conditions
ajhainey wrote:
Manda wrote:

I'm not sure it is normal, certainly I'd prefer it if folks didn't do this near me! It's not necessary to get out of control (if you fall you are out of control, right, or at least far to close to the edge of your ability) to progress - should do most of your improvement practicing at about 70% of your capability level - otherwise it's too easy to make bad 'coping' habits permanent.

There again I'm a self admitted wuss

snap!
ski holidays
damn - how did I find myself agreeing with you Razz Am giving up and signing off now anyway so will have to concede defeat on the other thread - all hail cert 1s! wink

aj xx
snow report
The last two private lessons that I've had revolved around taking me on slopes that I found frighteningly steep. Both instructors were of the opinion that once you reach a certain level, practicing your technique on comfortable slopes was no longer sufficient, and that you had to push your envelope in other ways, either in terms of terrain, or by increasing speed and racing through gates.
snow conditions
Kramer, fair point - was thinking of general holiday skier level beginner to reasonable intermediate - where the 'wobbly' runs would be standard pisted blues/red/blacks, not more advanced skiing where the rules are probably different. <darn it..must..log...off...computer.....>
ski holidays
ajhainey, fair point also, although in some cases, having successfully negotiated a black can provide a confidence boost that makes blues or reds seem far less steep and intimidating. It does seem to be a case of kill or cure.
latest report
Kramer - I am known for being a chicken... my instructors are ALWAYS pushing me either speed/technique/or terrain wise(that is what they are paid to do)..... BUT they do not ski me (most of the time) on terrain that I am wobbling & falling down on or cannot link more than a couple of turns without stopping... we ski comfortable & the venture into harder & then back to work on the weak spots.... then again I have los of weak spots

Would also like to comment that you can actually up the ante technically on quite moderate terrain without speed - just make the thing you are trying to do harder.... plus it can be quite hard to execute some turns at slower speed... momentum is your friend and aids turning.... slow parallel turns are harder than with a little speed (done well)... try staying in the tracks that an instructor lays down for this purpose & keeping parallel & sames nice clean slow turns are not quite that simple....
snow conditions
ajhainey wrote:
damn - how did I find myself agreeing with you Razz Am giving up and signing off now anyway so will have to concede defeat on the other thread - all hail cert 1s! wink

aj xx

no no don't concede defeat.... I like the differences!

I'll buy you a drink one day & we can celebrate them!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I dont know if anyone will agree, but surely once you can carve confidently on a nicely groomed, moderate slope, you have the general technique for steeper slopes. When you first try such steeper slopes, you cant help by be wobbly.... but you would be wasting your money by getting lessons to make this step, effectively you would be paying for no more than moral support!

In this instance, you may well be wobbly, but not necessarily out of your depth.

Anecdotal I know, but watching others, most do not appear out of their depth. They may be wobbling, trying new terrain, but most are doing it cautiously and are not causing an enormous danger. The exception (to me) generally appears to be groups of males (more often younger).

The important point to me is that a skier who is cautiously trying something new, aware that this is pushing their abilities is not the problem. It is the skier who does not appreciate their own limits and therefore tries anything presented to them. I suspect this would not be a fair description of most 'holiday' skiers!
latest report
I don't see very many who can carve... let alone confidently on moderate slopes....

Carve = TWO CLEAN tracks not one sort of smeared thingy that may or not be vaguely arc like but is more likely a sort of straightish angled line......
ski holidays
buns wrote:
I dont know if anyone will agree, but surely once you can carve confidently on a nicely groomed, moderate slope, you have the general technique for steeper slopes. When you first try such steeper slopes, you cant help by be wobbly.... but you would be wasting your money by getting lessons to make this step, effectively you would be paying for no more than moral support!
I cannot agree with this! Carving is just one technique and it doesn't necessarily prepare you for steeper slopes. For many, carved turns are not the best way of getting down really steep pistes because done properly, the speeds are higher than many would be comfortable with. Remember, properly carved turns accelerate you.

On steep pistes many skiers will want to use shorter turns to control speed. And when you get into serious steeps (couloirs etc) you need a completely different type of turn altogether. The only way of learning advanced techniques is to keep having leasons. The biggest problem facing intermediates is that they stop having leasons too soon and plateau. As has been said above, they then pick up bad habits which they practice and ingrain. I am puzzled as to why people will think that they will improve their technical acpablity on their own.
snow report
Quote:
Remember, properly carved turns accelerate you.

Well, no. Gravity is what accelerates you.
A carved turn pulls you out of the fall-line (where the acceleration is at maximum), like any turn. It simply decelerates you less quickly than a skidded turn (the most decelerating being the hockey stop).
A carved turn can decelerate you to a stop, if continued to an uphill trajectory. It just takes longer to slow you down than a skidded turn.
snow conditions
SimonN,

Couldn't agree more. Our Topski instructor at Val this Christmas 'Eric' (who by the way is an ex French Mogul champion and olympic team coach) explained to us that while 'carving' had its place, it was actually loosing favour these days in a 'backlash' effect. He reckoned that it had become too popular with skiers and many instructors resulting in people believing that it was the only 'right way' to ski. In fact in his opinion the 'old' technique of bend, extend, combined with pole plants was the best way to negotiate steeps or powder, or bumps, or in fact anywhere that required tighter turns (for direction or speed control). Carving was fine on big gentle swooping pistes but elsewhere, plant that pole!

I'm not qualified to judge if he was right or not, but he certainly improved our skiing confidence. Me and Mrs Ax did our first black and coming back to the point of this thread, I'm with those that believe you should practice technique on easy wide slopes, then push your limits a little on steeper/narrower stuff. It all comes down to whether 'pushing your limits' involves going 'out of your depth' or just a little further than you've been before.
latest report
buns, wobbly yes (ie a few careful turns, one with your balance a bit off, stop, take breather, reconsider line) yes - everyone needs to do this now and again to see where their limits are, although I don't think it's how you improve your technical skiing, more the confidence side of things. Wobbly enough that you expect to take a fall or two? No, IMO you're a danger and a nuisance to others at that point.

Each to their own though - and the internet makes discussions like this hard anyway- much easier if you can actually see each other ski...

AxsMan, agree with that too - for me at least carving is something to be attempted on wide open and relatively empty pistes only. If you become constrained in anyway, then at my skill level at least, it's frankly dangerous to even try...

aj xx
ski holidays
David Goldsmith

Sorry, old chap, but you are right and wrong! You are right that gravity accelerates you but wrong that a carved turn slows you less than a skidded turn. Its a matter of science!

When you carve a proper turn, you effective weight increases due to the g-force. So, Imagine you are going straight down a hill and then you start your carve. If you get no slid the g-forces on the ski increase from the dowhill attitude and as this force cannot go down any more (because of the carve) it is translated into forward motion.

We do an excerise that shows this. We set one person as the "hare" and it is their job to go straight down the fall line, standing in a skiing position so as to have the same air resistance as the rest. Then we set off and once up to speed, the rest of us carve turns. If you are good enough, your speed made good down the mountain is the same as the skier in the fall line. This shows that, as the distance skied by those turning is greater than the person on the fall line, they are going faster and this is due to the accelration out of the turn.

You need to be good to be able to do it properly. You need to be redistributing your weight before, during and at the end of each turn to get maximum speed. Stangely (see other thread) you need to be able to do racing carves!
ski holidays
AxsMan

I have known Eric for many years and you were in really good hands. I have skied with the Zimmers and TopSki for about 20 years. Although I have never been guided by him, i have done some free skiing with Eric and he is truely remarkable. But then again, so are most of the TopSki team.

I believe that there is no such thing as "you only need one turn". Having a wide range of different turns increases your confidence as it means you have something to use whatever the conditions and angle of slope.

Carving is great fun and for many its added a whole new dimension to their skiing. However, I personally would use carved turns less than 10% of the time, usually when I am in a hurry such as when following a topSki guide and we want to be first to some new powder snowHead However, I think that for many the short swing turn is the best thing to purfect if you are looking to ski more difficult runs. You can as good as come to a halt between each turn if you want to and can control speed to the finest degree.
ski holidays
SimonN, I believe it's similar to the effect that alllows sailing boats to go faster than the wind that's pushing them, and if you'eve ever water skied (behind a power boat) you'll be familiar with the speeding up that occurs when you cut across the wake, the boat travels in a straight line, and you follow a series of esses behind it so you must be going faster as you cover twice the distance in the same time.

In downhill skiing the motive power is provided by gravity (as DG says) but acceleration can be supplied by the force generated by a carving turn, except if it's me that's trying to apply it because that normally ends in a nose plant. Very Happy
latest report
SimonN,

Hi Simon, Our posts crossed so my water skiing one was in reply to your first one to DG if you follow me. Yes Eric was a great guy, and a VERY inspirational teacher. His thoughts on carving echoed yours above.

Cheers

SimonT
snow report
AxsMan wrote:
SimonN,

Hi Simon, Our posts crossed so my water skiing one was in reply to your first one to DG if you follow me. Yes Eric was a great guy, and a VERY inspirational teacher. His thoughts on carving echoed yours above.

Cheers

SimonT
I am a little alarmed you describe in the past tense and hope he still IS a great guy Very Happy

Maybe my views are similar because I ski with TopSki so much. However, it is certainly something that the whole team would agree with. I think the whole team is pretty special both as guides and as intructors. It is suprising how many of the team are ex racers, and good ones at that.
snow conditions
Well he was still looking fit and well when I last saw him (Dec 27th) Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy