Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for building a quiver

Poster: A snowHead
Volkl code speedwall s uvo as your piste ski and for the BASI 2.
Supplement that with something around 100mm eg blizzard bonafide and you've got a great set up.
100 flex boots for a 100 kg decent skier sound rather floppy, you'd be better off with something around 120-130 surely?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
kieranm wrote:
a quiver of skis is a waste of money. You're better off getting something like a Head iTitan that does everything pretty well and will see you through your short term goals of BASI L2, and still be reasonably capable in softer snow,

Have BASI explicitly said that anyone not on an Titan is an automatic fail? It certainly starts to feel that way when people start to talk BASI skis wink
No. If you reach the standard you reach the standard. From what I've seen, skis which aren't focused on piste performance make it harder to demonstrate the skiing required. Obviously skiers at a high enough standard will be able to ski on anything they rock up with, but for the rest of us being on an appropriate ski makes life a bit easier.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
kieranm wrote:
a quiver of skis is a waste of money. You're better off getting something like a Head iTitan that does everything pretty well and will see you through your short term goals of BASI L2, and still be reasonably capable in softer snow,

Have BASI explicitly said that anyone not on an Titan is an automatic fail? It certainly starts to feel that way when people start to talk BASI skis wink
No. If you reach the standard you reach the standard. From what I've seen, skis which aren't focused on piste performance make it harder to demonstrate the skiing required. Obviously skiers at a high enough standard will be able to ski on anything they rock up with, but for the rest of us being on an appropriate ski makes life a bit easier.

+2 a number of folk on my L2 got sent to hire more piste performant skis, I think one was on those supposedly "one ski for everything" Salomon skis which never took off and the other on Gotomas?? You can be expected to ski fairly deep snow if conditions warrant so something just under 80mm is ideal for L2 IMHO
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry it was more a joke on the ubiquity of Heads. Of course proform has nothing to do with that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing as of this week I'm on Dynastars.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So full quiver of Head skis for sale then?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Couple of pairs maybe, but I'll probably leave the spare pairs in Les Arcs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
never summer wrote:
I would start building a quiver with getting a pair of decent all-mountain ski and then filling the gaps by buying skis to cover for terrain/conditions where the all-mountains do not exactly excel.

This is exactly the logic behind my first suggestion...but I suppose it depends on the conditions of the OP's Head skis, as to which direction to choose.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm currently building up a quiver as well, I'm aiming for increases in 10's. Put prices in just to show that things can be found cheaply.
Coreupt Kasper 183 79mm underfoot, dedicated park ski. Going to rustle together some FKS bindings for them (impulse buy) €129 new.
Movement Scoop 180 102mm bought second hand a couple of years ago €100 mounted with STH 12 (don't like them) 60 used Both from Leboncoin
Coreupt Slasher 187 112mm New €180 mounted with Salomon Guardians €129 new, bought end of season sale.
Faction Royale 190 122mm New, bought from leboncoin, never drilled €150 mounted with FKS 140's bought mid season sale new €130

Its takes a lot of patience and research but worth it for the savings! I do have the advantage of living in the pyrenees so don't have to worry about planes and choosing skis to take away.

Just need to fill the 90 band now. plus I'd love a pair of Down Throwdowns in 104!!!!! Aaahh it's addictive!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm still struggling with why you wouldn't just want one pair of skis that works everywhere - e.g. The former Mantras.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Because - would you just eat beef forever?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, I think the analogy you want is with cars. You can argue that a slightly sporty diesel 5 door hatch back is the only car anyone needs (ie the Mantra). It does everything, but isn't the best at anything. You might want the ski equivalent of a big 4x4, a pickup truck, a small city car, a 7 seat MPV, a 2 seat sports car, a convertible. Each is better at a specific task than the family hatch back, but not very good at everything.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, out of interest, which dynastar did you go for on the performance piste side?

I need to swap out my rossies.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I know, it's such a bloody cliche! Embarrassing really. They're good skis tho.

I've skied the spitfires and the titans; both are good. Spitfires are cheaper RRP but neither have changed enough over the last few years to care much about getting 'this year's model' in my opinion, so if you can find clearance stock you're on to a winner.

Spitfires are more similar to the head Magnum than they are to the Titan - they're a bit thinner under foot. Both of them are less stiff than the Kniessl Redstars I was on before I realised I wasn't quite as hardcore as I thought I was.

TBH any reasonably 'serious' piste ski is probably good for basi L2, but lots of people get whatever's on pro deal hence you hear about the same ones all the time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Because - would you just eat beef forever?

+ 1 .

In fact , + n= + 1....
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, could do.

@PowderAdict, while I get that...given the majority of people's situations and skill levels, I think that for most people finding one good piste ski ir probably the proirity...
ski holidays
@gra, Very interesting about the boots. I hadn't really considered that much. Maybe I'll have a look at that as the first upgrade rather than worrying too much about skis, and try to make the ones I've got last another season!

Lots of food for though from everyone. I'll have a little think about it and read up on some of the skis mentioned. Thanks again for everyone's contributions!

D
snow conditions
Seconded about the boots. I am a 76kg skier and my off piste boots are a 110 flex and still feel rather overpowered on occasion, but they are damn comfy. On piste or for blasting off piste hard I use 130 flex.

As far as the quiver... these are in the order I bought them:

Nordica Enforcer twin tip - 177cm, 98mm - great all rounder.
Atomic Slalom ski - 165cm, 67mm - for the icy pistes.
Atomic Bent Chetler - 185cm, 120mm - amazing fun rockered ski for powder, slush and playing about.
Elan GS race ski - 182cm - I borrow these from a retired racer, soooo fast Smile

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 26-10-16 18:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@scarpa, that sounds like a really nice mix of skis you've got there. Something for every occasion. I was actually looking at slalom shots last night and wondering if you could get away with using them for basi exams? They look so much fun, and a great way to reward a great short turn technique.
snow report
@Duplo, general advice I've heard for BASI exams is that slalom skis aren't versatile enough. Great for shorts, sure - not so great for all the rest of it.
snow report
I came across this which might be relevant: http://blog.basi.org.uk/ellis-brigham-ski-test-for-basi-level-1-and-2/
However a big pinch of salt might be in order regarding the specific recommendations (buy these Nordica models from Ellis Brigham) as the author works for New Generation, who list Nordica and Ellis Brigham as their partners...
ski holidays
@Duplo, I have to admit my second hand SL skis are the most fun on piste. I only paid £75 for them with a huge load of tuning equipment thrown in. But jumping onto a proper FIS ski, those things are a different level of stiffness LOL. Until you are going flat out you can't really get much feedback from them. Too much ski for me for an all day session. The GS ones I have the use of were for a teenager so as an adult they are just about within my ability level and leg strength.

Wonder if a cheater ski, sort of between a SL and a piste / GS ski would be best for your training and exams. Sure there is plenty of good advice coming at ya.
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
Wonder if a cheater ski, sort of between a SL and a piste / GS ski would be best for your training and exams.
Exactly right, maybe with a bit more width than a SL or GS ski, and a turn radius somewhere between SL and GS ski.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@rob@rar, out of interest, which dynastar did you go for on the performance piste side?

Speed Zone 14 Pro for alpine teaching and most probably for training on.

Speed Zone Ti 16 for indoor teaching.
snow conditions
Help me.
Any three from six.

Preacher cl
My big sticks

Scott powdair
Dynastar alti powder
My Touring skis

K2 hardside
Off piste go to skis

B3s
Rock skis

Volki racetigers
Piste performance

My season will be skiing with an L3 mainly offpiste plus hopefully some touring late season.
snow report
Just finished tuning up my new skis and I went for

SPEED WC FIS SL (R21 WC) 165cm with SPX 15 Rockerflex for indoors
Speed Zone 14 Pro 182cm (R21 Racing) SPX 15 Rockerflex for alpine teaching and hopefully as a tech ski 17m rad 72mm underfoot which for me is an ideal spec, havent skied em yet but heard lots of good things...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 26-10-16 19:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Duplo, I am with GRA you should look to beef up your boots. At your stats a stiffer boot would help. At a minimum see if you can add a stiffening bolt to your current boots. I dont know those particular ones but most boots come with two holes in the back and usually only one bolt utilised. Add a second and you typically get 10% stiffer...

I wouldn't bother with Women's GS or Rossi Hero's unless you are seriously race training.

The piste performance skis like the magnum or titan would be good for BASI duties, or less turnier and a bit butcher for your weight the Speedwall S, Speedzone 14ti's, Hero LT Tpx, redster double deck GS, stockli laser SX
ski holidays
@rob@rar, ta, thanks for the info.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you had neither Skis, nor Boots (or crap boots)....then absolutely get boots.

If your current boots were well fitted, are comfortable and still have life in them, I'd consider holding on to them. The Zipfit liner should be making them stiffer (maybe as much as 10%) and the suggestion of making them stiffer again is sensible....see a good boot fitter, who should be able to advise on what to do.

If the above isn't the case....then sort the boots first.
snow report
If I was starting from scratch:

one ski only - something like bonafides or stockli stormrider 95s - fat enough to make soft snow easy, stiff and shaped enough to really carve the piste up

but then you go to two pairs and you'd want something different
a) a pretty full-blooded GS ski (bit shorter radius than FIS but burly and stiff)
b) an "all round" soft snow ski like a WD Director
I'd pick a or b depending on whether there was soft snow around and whether I expect to be more on or off piste (e.g., if it hasn't snowed for a while and the off piste is firm and chalky then the GS skis might be more fun even if you are going off piste)

Go to three pairs and I'd probably add a true fat powder ski 120mm plus.

But we haven't talked about touring and in a 3 ski quiver I suspect I'd want my middle ski to be a touring set up like my current WD R108 CL + beast 14s.

Which is all a long way of saying that I think you are right to be thinking ahead. Sounds like you have a couple of harder snow options for now. I'd buy something like a WD Director or R108, the latter if you think you are going to do some skinning. Add a new race ski and a purer powder ski as next steps.
ski holidays
kieranm wrote:

I know you're just making a joke, but actually the Titans seem to have a much more faithful following here than on the mountain. I think I was the only one in my L2 cohort (out of 30) who was on Titans. Most were I think on something from the Salomon 24 Hour range, perhaps because they'd come from training with one of the gap year courses and had got a good deal on them as part of that.

I too am thinking of moving over to Dynastar so look forward to rob@rar and skimottaret' s reviews. I'll keep my Titans for indoor teaching though.
latest report
Quote:

Speed Zone 14 Pro 182cm (R21 Racing) SPX 15 Rockerflex for alpine teaching and hopefully as a tech ski 17m rad 72mm underfoot which for me is an ideal spec, havent skied em yet but heard lots of good things...

Not tempted by the Speed WC Master? In my length (174) the Speed Zone 14 pro is 15m radius, which seemed a bit too similar to the Titans I already have, whereas the Speed WC Master comes in at 18m. I hadn't thought about going for a longer Speed Zone 14 pro though - 17m does sound like a nice all round compromise.
latest report
I've ended up with a pair of Brahma's and a pair of R.108 as my 2 ski quiver. I was looking for the ultimate 1 ski quiver, but it just didn't exist.

My perspective is that if I'm willing to carry one pair of skis, the the faff factor isn't really that much more and whilst I only get 2-3 weeks + a couple of weekends if I'm lucky, I'd much rather be in the right ski for the conditions to maximise my enjoyment.
snow conditions
Personally I reckon something around 105/108mm is a good all-round ski, I've got wider (117/120) and narrower (67/102), touring (106) and Telemark (105), but use the 108ish (Faction 3.0) size for just about anything......
ski holidays
[quote="kieranm"][quote="Dave of the Marmottes"]
kieranm wrote:

I too am thinking of moving over to Dynastar so look forward to rob@rar and skimottaret' s reviews. I'll keep my Titans for indoor teaching though.

I have been on my SL skis for a few days and very sweet, loving the bindings and plate setup. Will report back on the Zones from Tignes on Sunday Wink

ps. dont buy any Dynastar stuff just yet we will have a little announcement soon...
latest report
@kieranm, I have a pair of Dynastar WC masters in a 185 for GS training and love em but they are 23M radius and even at 180 are a bit butch for all rounders. I have some 180 tech skis in a 19M radius that ski very similar to the Masters so I didnt want to duplicate hence trying the Zones. Be aware the Masters is a very stiff ski and at your weight I think you would struggle to bend em in short radius turns ..
ski holidays
Thanks @skimottaret, that all makes sense. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
ski holidays
I reckon 18-19m radius is great for a stiff non-race piste ski. You can carve a lot of your turns on a lot of pistes without getting scary fast. Once you get into the 20s I find I am bleeding off speed more often than I would really like.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice.

My boots are perfect fitted, thanks to Colin at solutions 4 feet. When I bought the boots about 5 years ago they were the perfect flex for a beginner. Now I'm a better skier I can feel the boots giving way a bit at the front area when I do fast carves. I can even get them to do this just standing still if I try.

I think looking at stiffer boots seems to be the first priority. Colin was fab and I'd happily go back there if it wasn't so far away from Scotland. Has anyone any experience of Alain Baxter I sterling?

Cheers
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy