Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades - on the flat ground

Poster: A snowHead
Spent 3 hours this afternoon ice skating building up the legs for the flat piste skating on blades - what are others doing ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Using proper skis
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt, I can't type the noise of the cackle i just let out, needless to say that's the best ever reply on snowheads. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt wrote:
Using proper skis

Nonsense, without poles, most skiers would be totally shafted NehNeh

It has nothing to do with the length of your planks thank you.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Use poles?

I like skiing on 120cm short skis, which the hire shops often suggest you don't need poles for. Personally I like to have the poles for flat ground and general balance. Some might argue that I should learn to skate, but you could say the same for conventional length skis: I have seen people skate with pretty long skis, so if they can use poles as well, why can't bladers / skiboarders?

As for the anti-blade(rs) sentiment, I think whatever you're comfortable and in control on is what you should use. I've never really understood the "only skis over x length are proper skis" argument.

Ant
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skating isnt difficult though you need to refine it to just walking on edge...... which is exactly what you would do were you needing to hike back up a slope without removing your boards.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
buns wrote:
Skating isnt difficult though you need to refine it to just walking on edge...... which is exactly what you would do were you needing to hike back up a slope without removing your boards.

Eh? Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can skate on my skis (165cm pocket rockets). I can ski without poles (see the video footage I shot when skiing with two poles in one hand and a video camera in the other). On the slopes, I see far more bladers who cause me to worry about their apparent lack of control than I see skiiers or snowboarders (but I do see those as well)

not all of those points are related.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smallzookeeper.... it is like skating, but when it is too steep to skate. Like a reverse snowplough..... anyone who is anyone will have done it (even if my description is lacking!).

nbt..... i was only pointing out that having longer skis does not make it easier to skate which your post implied! (even though we all know you dont think this!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
buns, herringbone? walking uphill with an inverse V

But having real skis they will glide further.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dunk, yeah, herringbone or duck.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah that is the one! I appreciate of course longer skis will glide further, but you could also argue that shorter skis make it easier to do 'the duck' in the first place!

Is the whole 'blades vs PROPER skis' not going to end up killing itself? Some of the so called skiboards are longer than some of the shorter skis you can buy..... at which point the only real difference is shape and use of poles....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
buns, some people will never let it die, it would be ego-destroying for them to even try blades, because they would highlight a lot of issues with their skiing technique.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

nbt..... i was only pointing out that having longer skis does not make it easier to skate which your post implied! (even though we all know you dont think this!)

Well, personally I do think longer skis skate more effectively than blades (even without poles; I will never forget watching, froma chairlift, a ski instructor skating uphill with a huge armfull of slalom poles; I doubt that even he could have done that on blades!). I enjoy a day on blades, now and then, but they really are not much use on the flat. However, the newer short skis, e.g. Decathlon Wedze, are much easier to skate - best of both worlds?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've bladed in the past and think it's fun - I just prefer skis. I also think that blades will allow people to go onto pistes that they really shouldn;t be on
ski holidays
I have found I can skate up hill on blades - but then I can skate uphill on my roller blades as well

It is very easy on the flat although I think I would prefer shorter blades for a more flat environment

As far as gliding is concerned - my initial acceleration on flat is well in excess of any other medium I have seen - including long skis and poles Puzzled
snow report
skating is a very good skill to have. if your technique is OK its efficient and not very tiring (much better than poling). that said, i see relatively few skiers skating well. never really felt i needed to fitness train for skating
ski holidays
I can skate on my 177's. I can ski without poles. I'd like to be able to legally shoot bladers.
snow report
I'd like to be legally allowed to shoot small minded people who think that only their long ski's are suitable for use on the mountain !!! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
provenjohn, if you can ski on short skis, you can ski on long skis and have mnore control. I kid you not, the number of bladers I see who look out of control *really* worries me at times.

Don't "cheat" and do stuff beyond you because you can use a skills compensator - learn the necessary skills (Says NBT who copes fine off piste with his big fat skis Wink)
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
herringbone or duck.

Duck, please, and the foie gras to start.

BTW, I've seen loads of bladers and I don't think that I've ever been inconvenienced by one. Can't say I fancy it, though.
latest report
just back down from Champery again 5cm of fresh snow this morning by 8am and still dumping snowHead - not seen any out of control bladers - seen plenty of out of control skiers and boarders though - each to their own - Shocked as long as they dont hit me
snow report
nbt, I can Ski perfectly well on full length ski's & have done for years, I just happen to enjoy skiing on 97cm snowblades more. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
obelix67, I'll second that! Madeye-Smiley
Unfortunately the snow in Tavistock is approx 0 Crying or Very sad
However, off to Les Carroz shortly Very Happy
latest report
I think blades will tend to look more out of control no matter who is using them..... if you saw a bicycle doing 70 on the motorway, you might think it looked out of control compared to the cars....
snow report
provenjohn wrote:
I can Ski perfectly well on full length ski's

Good for you; you can't punctuate, 'though.
latest report
Also the thread is titled "blades - on the flat ground" there are other threads that are more in need of your attention Wink whatever you do on the mountains and flat parts - enjoy it and try and stay safe.
snow conditions
nothing wrong with that punctutation, richmond. capitalisation, maybe, but not punctuation
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, ski's (and the lack of a fullstop).
latest report
thought it might be that you'd picked up on - using apostrophes to clarify the pluralisation od words ending in vowels or the letter "s" is an acceptable practice - as I found out myself recently when I pulled up one of the content editors at work. Embarassed but he does have a full stop...
snow report
nbt, no, it's not. The apostrophe is there to indicate a missing letter (as in can't) and relects the fact that in an old form of English the genitive (of some words at least) was formed by adding 'es' to the noun, rather like modern German. the droping of the 'e' led to the apostrophe. Plurals don't have an apostrophe; why would they? How would the apostrophe clarify anything; 'skis' could be a plural noun or a verb, but 'ski's' could be a genitive or (according to your system) a plural noun (the context makes it clear that the plural noun is intended in provenjohn's post).

The full stop was missing from my quote, not from provenjohn's post.
ski holidays
thread hijackers
latest report
nbt, I'm sure that your ed is wrong. The apostrophe is there to indicate a missing letter (as in can't) and reflects the fact that in an old form of English the genitive (of some nouns at least) was formed by adding 'es' to the noun (or noun stem), rather like modern German. The eventual dropping of the 'e' led to the apostrophe. Plurals don't need an apostrophe.

The apostrophe doesn't clarify anything in provenjohn's post; 'skis' could be a plural noun or a verb, but 'ski's' could be a genitive or (according to your ed's system) a plural noun. The context makes it clear that the plural noun is intended in provenjohn's post. If use of a plural would really cause confusion, the sentence can be rewritten to avoid the confusion. Conceivably you need to do something with, for example, 'dot your is and cross your ts', and an apostrophe may be as good as anything, but such usages are truly exceptional.

The full stop was missing from my quote, not from provenjohn's post.
snow conditions
provenjohn, LOL.

Do you wear a silly hat?
latest report
obelix67 wrote:
thread hijackers

Just a brief diversion up a blind alley, that's all.
snow conditions
richmond, Apparently like trying to get back to Champery through the dumping snow - with very low visibility - earlier today Smile
snow conditions
richmond, I'll ask for the reference tomorrow. But since we're writing materials that teachers will use as a reference for lesson planning (and we have a reputation to maintain!) I'm guessing that they'll be right
latest report
While english is one of my less well developed skills, I would tend to agree with richmond. It may of course be accepted, but accepted does not mean it is technically correct!
snow conditions
I'll admit I was surpised (as I said, I was pulled up for pointing out the same errore). As a qualififed linguist my english ought to be perfect, otherwsie how would I be able to understand other languages? but as I said I'll get the reference
snow conditions
nbt, we have an american in our French class that doesnt understand why the rules are not the same for all languages - but then again I normally dissolve into giggles when she describes American as English.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy