Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Alpine family holiday - suitable villages

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Hils68, enjoy!

We've spent several fantastic family summer holidays in Zell am See in Austria. It has everything: warm lake, easy cycling, tough full-on MTB, awesome walking, proximity to great days out like Salzburg or even Munich, and a fully developed tourist infrastructure.

I hesitate to recommend it now, though. The place has marketed itself very strongly to the middle Eastern market, and the centre of town has more women in burkhas than in western dress. The last time we were there, my wife felt very exposed and uncomfortable - being one of a very small number of women wearing simple summer clothes, she attracted a ridiculous number of staring male eyes. Swimming in the lake in the town for women has basically become a no-no, now, unless you want to feel like an exhibitionist.

Sad. Western values can sometimes feel very frail and vulnerable.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@willh, Welcome to snowHeads!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In an attempt to hijack the thread...

I've looked at visiting the Alps (mainly Chamonix) during the summer but always get stumped by lack of flights to Geneva in the summer from the midlands. Driving is out of the question (new baby, currently 4 months), so what airlines continue to fly from the midlands once the winter ceases?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@manicpb http://www.skyscanner.ch/transport/flights/gva/uk/cheapest-flights-from-geneva-to-uk.html?adults=1&children=0&infants=0&cabinclass=economy&rtn=0&preferdirects=true&outboundaltsenabled=true&inboundaltsenabled=false&oym=1607 lets you do searches on available flights from Geneva to the whole of the UK at once. Iin e.g. July looks like you need to fly thru somewhere.

In the past I've found Amsterdam or Brussels to be well priced and easy transfers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we have flown from Bristol to Geneva with Easy jet . . dont know their summer prices though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Timberwolf... Embarassed Laughing Toofy Grin

Dankeschön
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@manicpb, would Liverpool work for you? Depends on which side of the Midlands you are, as to whether it's doable, but EJ have a couple of flights a day direct from Liverpool to GVA, right through the summer
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ooh, Liverpool would work! Its annoying that EJ go from daily flights to nothing in the summer from Birmingham...one a week would suffice!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We use the Liverpool- Geneva flights in the summer. Liverpool is easy to get to with good parking.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@manicpb, good! There is very easy off-site parking with a minibus drop off/pick up (2 minutes drive) and that is much cheaper than on-site. Make sure you pre-book as, with the on-site, it is eye-wateringly expensive to just turn up and drive in. PM me if you need any info
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hils68... Great choice on Annecy btw... I stayed there for the first time last year, having had several Alps trips where I have just gone to Annecy for day trips... The place is stunning with an absolute abundance of places to go, things to do etc. etc. The walks around old town Annecy are cool, but not sure the younger ones would enjoy them as much as getting out on the lake and exploring the higher climes of the surrounding mountains...

There is a bike path pretty much all the way around the lake, and whilst not MTB territory, it is still a lovely ride... If you want to spend a nice afternoon chilling and being entertained, I can wholeheartedly recommend a trip up to the Col de la Forclaz to watch them take off... Spent an awesome few hours up here, chilling out in the afternoon sun and watching them go off...

Fast forward this vid to around 50 secs and you'll see what I mean...

The Free Flying Experience / A movie about Paragliding from Pure illusion
https://vimeo.com/100882015

Alternatively, if your hubby has a boat license then you can hire a motor boat and take it out for the afternoon and swim in the lake (it is actually quite warm). On a serious note, if this is something that you think you'd like to do and you don't have the license, they cost next to nothing in the UK to get, just a weekend and a couple of hundred quid... But the result is being able to take out a decent motor boat and a picnic and cruise around the whole lake, which is awesome... Very Happy

Other than that, the road from the lake heads out through Thones, Grand Bornand, La Clusaz, Megeve, and then up to either Saint Gervais/Les Contamines, or along to Chamonix, so some pretty cool places to visit, all within couple of hours driving...

Have loads of fun @Hils68. The Alps are an amazing place in the summer to explore...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy