Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Alpine family holiday - suitable villages

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I wondered with the wealth of knowledge on this site if people know of good summer villages/town for a family holiday this year. It needs to be driveable from calais, with 1 stop.
We want village or small town with a good outdoor public pool, or accomodation with decent sized pool, or lake that is warm enough to swim in without any shivering! Somewhere that has cycle paths suitable for kids 9 and 6 as well as us. It would be nice to be able to go up in cable cars with bikes and come down some very easy safe tracks, that aren't steep enough for serious MTB'S as don't want to be constantly looking out and avoiding super fast cyclists.
Easy family walks. Also close enough for day trip or so to look at some attractions nearby. Ideally looking for chalet or ground floor place so kids can just play outside. LookiNg at last couple of weeks in August. Sounds like paradise, does it exist? 😃
Sorry if my topic is not relevant for snow heads, as no snow required with this query 😃 but very grateful for any ideas.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hils68, It does exist - there are probably many snowheads who can vouch for it! My recommendation would be Le Grand Bornand as it is the destination we are most familiar with. Have a look at www.legrandbornand.com and take the summer option form the main page which is focussed on the winter season at the moment.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's plenty of choice. Les Saisies has everything on your list except an outdoor pool. There's a very nice indoor one, though. Also a pretty
swimming lake down in Flumet though personally I shiver swimming outdoors in northern Europe!

Accommodation is not expensive in summer. The Alps are wonderful in summer though few Brits seem to realise it! The only British voices I've heard in many summer visits belonged to a group of serious mountain bikers. They are certainly discovering the Alps and many resorts have a growing network of green. Blue, red and black mountain biking tracks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few years ago, we rented a house in a place called Lescheraines in the Bauges region - found it through Owners Direct (3 bed house with a private garden). Town itself was nice with a great pizza restaurant. But the best bit was the 'base de loisirs' with a great swimming lake (plus some water slides) and there's a "go ape" type activity in the trees. Plenty of cycling in the area.

No cable cars in the immediate vicinity but some great places within a short drive - Lake Annecy is really close.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've been going to Morzine in the summer for the last 15 years, kids were 3 and 5 when we first went. As the kids have got older the activities we do have changed, but there is a lot going on. Open air pool, indoor pool, outdoor lake swimming, lifts to take people/bikes up the hill and meander back down, pony rides, tree top courses, summer sledge run...
It is a very British resort though, which means language isn't a problem, but you might not like all those brits around you when you're supposed to be in France!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hils68, Serre Chevalier would be ideal. All accommodation is along the valley. You can cycle easily along the tracks from village to village, and at least one of the chairlifts and cable car routes has a green run to the bottom again. There are pools, indoor and outdoor in several of the villages, thermal spas, pony rides in Villeneuve, and outdoor adventure park with zip wires, high ropes etc. You'll have to go to Montgenevre for the summer sledge run, but it is a nice drive out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mayrhofen. Outdoor and indoor pool, plus plenty of other outdoor pools and a swimming lake throughout the valley, cable cars, plenty of biking and walking options, cable car, summer tobogganing in Zell am Ziller, steam train running on the narrow gauge railway along the valley, glacier, day trips to the likes of Krimml, Innsbruck, Achensee etc. They do a Z Card which gives you free use of the Zillertalbahn (train up and down the valley, excludes the steam train), use of the pools, use of the cable cars (one up, one down per day IIRC) amongst other things. Inghams have a chalet there (St Lukas) which has a decent sized grass area outside, and a short walk through the woods takes you to a play area, as well as crazy golf, skate park and on towards the swimming pool which might suit you accom wise.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Meiringen ticks all the boxes and has plenty of attractions there/nearby for the kids, all reachable on the train if you don't want to drive all week.

Discussed previously here
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
did it once in Les Contamines, had a great time!

Outdoor lake wasn't heated (funny that!!), good enough for a cooling quick dip !

TR here http://snowheads.com/test-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90718
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hils68, it definitely does exist Very Happy - we've had lots of family summer holidays in the Alps, and are going back this year, to Annecy. You have a PM
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zermatt, Switzerland:

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/mountain-biking

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold wrote:
Zermatt, Switzerland:

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/mountain-biking

Hils68 wrote:
.........Somewhere that has cycle paths suitable for kids 9 and 6 as well as us........

rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

As @Hells Bells, Serre Che comes alive in the summer, can actually be "busier" than in the winter as there is just so much to do.

If you have a car then you'll just be spoilt for what to do, and or will simply not have enough time to do all that's on offer.

Google "Nevache Val Claree" as well as "Ailefroide" these are all amazing valleys close to Serre.

From the mighty forts than are on all the mountain tops around Briancon through to rafting (for children) on the river, then there's Europe's largest man made lake only 50mins drive away, and if you need a beach fix then the Med is only 3.5hrs drive.

Seriously loads to do, and I have said if only I'd been here when my twins were at the age of your kids!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:

...then there's Europe's largest man made lake only 50mins drive away...

rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Forget about people's randonee speed, if you can drive to Portugal in 50mins you should put that on strava.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@betterinblack,

The dam is 120m high (made of earth with a central core in waterproof clay, a technique that is very widespread in the United States), and contains 1,271 billion cubic metres of water, making it the largest man-made lake in Europe

NehNeh. NehNeh. NehNeh

Though I have to admit to not being up on the willy waving relating to size of man made lakes Toofy Grin

Though sure there's the same sort of stats for the Potuguese pond....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brilliant man made lakes top trumps!!!

Alqueva Dam 1,450 billion cubic metres of water

Is there a willy waving emoticon

PS The opinions expressed here are purely rantings derived from internet sources and no real knowledge so they may be completely made up figures from a 12 year old wiki editor. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@betterinblack, Toofy Grin
latest report
@Hils68, we had this holiday last summer. We went to Wagrain in Austria.

Lots of lovely accommodation, gentle rides on nearly deserted roads, cable car rides, walks up/down parts of mountains, some trickier MTB if wanted, Wasserwelt swimming pool (heated and unheated options, slides etc...), waterfalls and gorges not far, castles, Salzburg less than an hour away...

Jnr wants to go back this summer.
snow conditions
Look at Samoens, we have done this type of summer holiday a couple of times there. For accommodation look at Alps Accommodation
ski holidays
What about Slovenia around Bled and Bohinj.

Beautiful area and may be cheaper as well.
ski holidays
@hammerite, let me know if you make it back. I'll be on extended sick leave I expect and bored out of what they leave of my tiny brain 😄🤓
ski holidays
Regardless of it's size in relation to other lakes, Lac de Serre Poncon is large and beautiful.
snow conditions
@hammerite, If you do then we've got some beds to fill from the 13th August wink

We try to rent the whole place for short stays at the moment (which worked ok last season) but have made 2 weeks for
B'n'B or catered from the 6th August.

Wagrain is a lovely place for families in the summer. The Grafenberg has a fantastic easy going and (buggy friendly) walking route with play areas scattered about. The kids can always just about see the next play area which keeps them (and me) going too!

There are similar set-ups scattered all over the area.
Reiteralm's lift (Preunegg) allows bikes and has a family road trail down the mountain.

Anyhow... enough pimping! Look at the link in my signature below for a little more info about the area. (If the site works, that is!) [edit.... it doesn't!] [edit of edit.... it does work again... guess what i've been doing today!]

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 5-04-16 16:14; edited 2 times in total
latest report
We stayed in Lofer last year. Amazing place with fab outdoor pool. Lots to do
latest report
@Hils68, I have a little video I did of Summer Activities in Mottaret.... http://www.skimottaret.com/summer.html
snow report
We go to the regularly go to the French Alps in the summer and having visited several resorts I'd say St Gervais and Samoens are my favourite summer choices. I'd recommend looking at Peak Retreats summer website. They offer very good deals including accommodation plus ferry package and there are often substantial discounts on the second week if staying in the nice luxury CGH apartments.

St Gervais has a very nice public outdoor pool. You can also drive up to Les Contamines which is lovely in summer. The mont blanc tramway and Chamonix are excellent day outings. We stayed in Hotel Monte Bianco there which is an all inclusive 3 star family hotel.

Samoens is good for walking and rafting. Have not yet hired bikes there but I'm sure there are lifts open that you can take bikes on. It is a short drive from Morzine where there is an excellent 50m outdoor pool. Morzine is another option but it is busier so we prefer being in a more peaceful location.
snow conditions
The truth is that the Alps are full of gorgeous places to go. A lot depends on how organized and "packaged" you want your activities. I recently saw a programme on French TV about Bulgaria and a couple who ran a walking hostel/refuge in the mountains. Looked a stunning area but at the other end of the packaged activities spectrum from somewhere like Morzine.
snow report
Quote:

did it once in Les Contamines, had a great time!

Outdoor lake wasn't heated (funny that!!), good enough for a cooling quick dip !

TR here http://snowheads.com/test-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90718

There is also a lovely swimming / boating lake down at Passy. Our kids loved he inflatables and the water was lovely and warm
snow conditions
La Clusaz is our summer destination of choice at the moment - great balance between mountains (on your doorstep) and beaches at Lake Annecy (30 to 40 mins away). Plus an excellent outdoor pool. Highly recommended.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hils68, we went to Morzine last summer when my son was just over 7 and he wants to go again this year.

As we hadn't done a summer mountain holiday before, we went with Alpine Elements which included kids' club and 3 days of bike hire too. Having a kids' club gives you flexibility, he managed a 14 mile off-road bike circuit around Avoriaz, Lindarets, Ardent and Montriond in a morning with us and then went off to kids' club in the afternoon. As @karin says, there's plenty to do in the area. In fact, there seems to be more going on in the village in summer than winter!

Morzine is easy to drive to, we've stayed in Annemasse which is just outside Geneva, when we've driven in winter to ski there.
snow report
After 14 years I like the summer at least as much as winter. And Autumn is terrific too, if you like peaceful mountains with most of the "facilities" closed!
snow report
Autumn in our valley is just fabulous.
snow report
The Salzgammergut in Austria is oft referred to as the Lake District of Austria.

Traditional towns, beautiful scenery, clear and pollution-free lakes (some of which get up to 28 degrees in the summer!), watersports, outdoor pools (Bad Ischl), many towns have cable cars that go up to the mountains for hiking/cycling etc.

The area is set-up for summer activities and relaxing. There are often festivals and plenty to do, generally.

From Calais, 11-12 hours with stopping.
ski holidays
I still haven't been to the Therm in Bad Ischl.
I may have to pay a visit in the summer !!
snow report
You probably should, flangesax....you probably should!!
snow report
Thank you for some great ideas. My husband has raised the question "are there really bike trails that are suitable for 6 year olds? ". He enjoys MTB but not aware that there are mountain trails being suitable for young kids. i had visualised smooth pathways meandering down the mountain that a 6 year old can manage. . . Having got up mountain via ski lift - but not actually sure if this is the case?

A final question to put out there is are there any camp sites or holiday parks ( eurocamp as an example) that are based in the mountains as we do find they are good for the kids making friends. Will have a look at Alpine Elements -thank you- I have seen a few around Lake Annecy which look nice, but not any in mountains. I will have a good look through the suggestions that people have posted over the coming few days, pen, paper and glass of wine at hand 😃. Thank you.
snow report
Just stick to the flatter trails for kids.

Resorts are set up for families, not just hardcore riders with no friends.

About 20% of the trails in Zermatt are "easy":

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/mountain-biking/Mountain-bike-tours
snow report
My 5 year old granddaughter manages some off road biking under supervision from her dad who rides behind giving her hints about braking etc. There are some trails here in Les Saisies that she could manage but most would be too dangerous, in my view, certainly without full body armour!

I enjoy seeing parents and kids on the easy biking paths. But to prepare for a family holiday including mountain biking you'd need to be doing some practice in the UK, to see what the kids are capable of, unless they've done a bit already.
ski holidays
Another vote for Serre Chevalier in the summer, great for kids of all ages (ours were 6/12/16 last time we had a summer trip there) - had an 'exciting' ride on the summer Luge in Montegenevre, and a good day out at the lake in Embrun.

Mel at Eurekaski sorted us out a nice apartment, here website is at http://eurekaski.com/serre-chevalier-activities/
ski holidays
Cacciatore wrote:
The Salzgammergut in Austria is oft referred to as the Lake District of Austria.

Traditional towns, beautiful scenery, clear and pollution-free lakes (some of which get up to 28 degrees in the summer!), watersports, outdoor pools (Bad Ischl), many towns have cable cars that go up to the mountains for hiking/cycling etc.

The area is set-up for summer activities and relaxing. There are often festivals and plenty to do, generally.

From Calais, 11-12 hours with stopping.

Salzkammergut dear boy, with a k Happy
latest report
Thank all. We have decided to go to Lake Annecy, then do some day trips up to Samoens, Les Carroz and other places. les Carroz seems to have a nice easy green bike run "woody woodbiker" which looks great for a day trip. Then we can do some other alpine bits and also a bit of Annecy and flat cycling round the lake. Thanks for all help. Can't wait now !! 😃
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy