Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are (Sweden) and Stranda (Norway) off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Going to these places over Easter and trying to find a bit of info on the off piste skiing. Pretty happy hunting out stuff relatively close to the pistes but looking for any info on longer runs/things you have to walk/skin into/out off. I'm pretty happy skiing most places but I am going with my wife and daughter who are a little more conservative. We have touring gear (Snow shoes for the little one) although my daughter normally has enough after 30-40 mins of hiking.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For Åre, in Swedish so use google translate, but http://www.freeride.se/spotguiden-are-del-1/ and http://www.freeride.se/spotguiden-are-del-2/. Another article http://bloggar.expressen.se/insnoad/2011/01/oslagbara_skidak__5_favoriter_i_are/

Haven't ventured off piste in Åre myself but also going at Easter - 26 March to 2 April - so may try and explore some of these, maybe with an instructor/guide.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Loads at Stranda. Both sides of the road. From straight off the lift to 1-2 hr skin. If the conditions are good, then the run back to town is a must.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. Had struggled to find anything in English but will translate those - Themasterpiece - we are out the week before you (prior to going to Stranda) so if I get any info/internet I'll give an update on anything we do...

Mike - by back to the town guess you mean run 15 off the piste map?

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/western-norway/stranda/pistemap.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
El Mocho wrote:

Mike - by back to the town guess you mean run 15 off the piste map?

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/western-norway/stranda/pistemap.html

That looks about right. But it's not a piste. All off-piste.

Well it was when I went in '97
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds good!

Just finished re-gluing my skins...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are some very good value guided ski tours in Åre if you look here https://www.skistar.com/en/are/online-booking/skischool/search/Experience?startDate=20160320. A morning for just £40.

Edit: Link didn't work. Go to the Skistar Åre website. Click on ski school, and then other activities, and select your week
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@El Mocho,

You can always list yourself if you are interested http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98245

See you around!

@Mike Pow, 97 Shocked Did not know you are that old. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hyst wrote:
@El Mocho,

Ha ha.

Hitting the half century this November Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow wrote:
Hyst wrote:
@El Mocho,

Ha ha.

Ah, only a kid! snowHead

Looking forward to Åre next week and Åre looks ok for older (dangerous) pisteskiers. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hyst wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Hyst wrote:
@El Mocho,

Ha ha.

Ah, only a kid! snowHead

Yep. A big one. Kid that is Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@El Mocho, find any good off piste areas in Åre worth me exploring next week?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe this is the best option here in Åre: http://www.areheliguide.se

Have not seen much real off piste terrain here in the resort itself.
If there is new snow the backsite lift 83, 35 offers a little, but now it is all run down.

Saw a few backcountry people going up the hill jut do not recall the exact please right now.
However if you have backcountry gear other possibilities might open, but I am not the man to tell.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived in Åre. No skiing today, just lunch, supermarket trip, and get settled into accommodation. I think I could spy lifts to the top working?

Only problem - forgot my jacket! there is no rain or wet snow I think I can manage with my hoodie (I'm not skiing anyway). I think you can hire jackets from skistar if needed...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry just got back to the land of internet so this is too late for Themasterpiece but a little bit of info for anyone looking in the future:

Are Race Area: They were a little slow opening the top lifts (I think possibly a common problem) so on the days with the fresh snow was limited to the lower stuff.

Around VM 8 lift. Bits of tree skiing here, the more obvious stuff tends to get a bit tight the lower you go. The best lines I found were by heading skiers R from top of chair (along the trail towards Rodkullen) but dropping off as soon as you fancy - again a bit tighter lower down but there were some more open areas if you can find them and plenty of lines in the top section.

Are By: Off top of Hummelliften turn right (as you get off, facing up hill) and pole past the beacon testing point. Either drop down a short slope and trav back to base of lift or continue skiers left to drop into the gully (I think (higher up) called East and West Gully) This slope is a little avalanche prone - I came straight back one day. You can get into this gully (via the two diff approaches) from the top stations but by the time they opened up top it was all windblown iciness so never did.

From top of Tottliften head straight on off lift (towards Bjornen) and then keep skiers left. Very mellow meadow/sparse tree skiing all way till nearly at the Hermelinenliften. Pretty flat towards the bottom but beautiful and quiet.

Up top: Did a little of the stuff leading down to top of the East/West gully but like I said very icy/hard snow ditto stuff 'over the back'

From gondola top station turn left out door and start down by the Ovre drag. Turn R almost straight away. Plenty of stuff near piste. The further over you trav the better the snow seemed to get (for the week we were there more sheltered from the wind) Cruise out to base of lower Drag.

Duved: Tegefjall. Slopes above the top of the chair, skin/hike up. Little lines back to lifts or continue over. Either down into far gully or keep along top (make sure you keep just Skiers right of the cliffs you see on chair on way up) both options bring you out near bases of Gunni and Englands drags.

Duveds fast chair. Go climbers right from top of lift, slightly down then little hike/skin up other side. Nice lightly treed slopes, keep contouring left to get more drops. Can keep hard left and get all the way over the top and a good line down into the same area as the things from the Tegefjall side (to finish near Gunni/Englands drags).

Stranda: Loads of obvious stuff and v. quiet so mostly ran laps off the sides of piste (on the day with the most fresh snow there were only 20 or so cars at the resort so v. quiet). From top of gondola head left off side of piste and can get a long nice run back to Stranda. Snow was slushy/sparse to get all way down so I just stopped when it got less good and skinned (15 mins or so) back to the piste. Saved waiting for a bus/hitching/taxi back to resort.

From top of T bar (or if not running short hike from Gondola station) go climbers left and up a little before traversing round to slopes leading into bowl. Either down through trees to road (and short hike/pole back to base) or trav back left at tree line back to runs. Also possible to skin along ridgeline at top into further little valleys and ski to road further along.

Stuff on other side of road. Obv stuff by pistes, fun little cournices (climbers) left of Egga T bar. Also from top of T bar head straight on in the line the lift has taken you (30 seconds hike then flat) over the top to reach slopes leading into open area then trees to eventually meet road (again I skinned back up to save hitch/taxi ride) can also start contouring right - once you are over the top - under little rocks (180 degrees so heading back to base of lifts) to get into valley which leads back down to the resort at either base level or by keeping slightly right to near top of Fursetheisa chair. You can get into the same valley from the top of the T bar by various lines through the rocky bands directly (climbers) right off top of T bar (straight R, slight walk (as above) then over cornice on R or by skiing (skiers) left of the run and then dropping in (a little steeper) although quite short these lines are all a bit steeper (I have not done much steep skiing so this is all relative, on the steepest bit of the steepest line my up hill hand was touching the snow between jump turns but most lines were a bit more mellow and eased up quite quickly)

There were lots of touring options continuing up out of this valley.

Plenty of really good looking touring options around the area.
ski holidays
Great. Need to get back to Stranda.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy