Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hinterglemm 2017 - first time without travel company

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

My wife and I are off to Hinterglemm last week of January next year and this will be the first time we have gone skiing without using a travel company (Rauris and Niederau being our previous two holidays in Austria). I just wondered if any of you with experience of Hinterglemm had any tips for us going it alone please?

We're staying at the Hotel Johann and I've asked them if they'd arrange airport transfers. For ski/helmet hire it looks like can be done through the hotel via their partner, would they sell passes too?

We are both what I would describe as confident intermediate skiers so if anyone has any suggestions for routes on the slopes and plotting our way around from the hotel that'd be great. Very Happy

Thanks

Jonathan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

would they sell passes too?

most resorts nowadays sell passes online - something you can do well in advance to reduce the tasks on the first morning.

I'd ask for a recommended ski hire place here, then go with that, rather than a hotel partner (might be the same shop of course, but might not).

I gather lots of Austrian resorts have lockers at the base of lifts, where you can leave skis and boots, to save walking around in ski boots. That'd be one of the top items on my "to do" list, if the hotel is not ski in/out.

Ski resorts are set up to make life easy for their clients - have fun!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What @pam w says re passes. You can sometimes get a discount by booking early.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did it DIY this year.

The Saalbach Hinterglemm website is a useful source of info: http://www.saalbach.com/en/winter.html

For airport transfer, we have usually been able to get a better deal by shopping around a bit than the hotel suggested option. All the taxi/transfer companies are listed on the website above - just send out a few emails and you should find the most competitive quote. If just two of you, the Holiday Shuttle service might be most competitive. As a cheaper alternative, although it does take quite a bit longer, you could get the train to Zell am See and taxi from there.

There is no benefit to pre-booking lift passes. Most hotels and ski hire places will sell you a lift pass when you get there - no need to queue at the lift office.

Ski hire - again I would shop around. We found Alpinresort to be the cheapest broker this year - from our experience, however, I would not recommend Hervis Sports, which was the cheapest we could find. We had very good service from Gumpold Sport buying some boots, so they might be worth a try (and can be booked through Alpinresorts - there is a Snowheads discount code for Alpinresorts somewhere). I think that Gumpold will be closest to your hotel, although given location you will need to use the bus to collect kit anyway.

Hotel Johann looks to be a bit out of the centre, although it looks as if you can ski back to near it and with the use of a couple of T-bars can get to the main Hinterglemm lifts (or use the skibus, which may be quicker)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In Saalbach-Hinterglemm there is no discount on passes when you book online, but no problem with queuing for lift tickets either, as most of the ski rental shops and large hotels sell lift passes and there are ticket offices at all of the lifts.

@jonny909, Hotel Johann is next door to the larger parent hotel, Hotel Theresia and both are very well regarded. Lots of good reviews on Tripadvisor etc. and on Snowheads. The Alpin-Ski ski school is based at the Theresia, so this will be the partner that the Johann will recommend. Alpin-Ski have a rental shop and ski school office located at the hotel. They may well also sell lift passes, but if not, it's a 5-minute job at the first lift station. Remember that if you buy a 6-day lift pass to start on the Sunday of your holiday, it is actually valid from 15.00 on the Saturday. There is a T-bar lift directly opposite your hotel if you fancy a cheeky hour on Saturday afternoon.

Hotel Johann is on the outskirts of Hinterglemm, one stop on the free ski bus from the centre of the village. Wherever you finish your ski day, e.g. in Saalbach, Zwolferkogel or Hochalm, you can hop on the free bus and jump off at the bus stop directly outside the hotel. If you want to walk into Hinterglemm in the evening, it's about 10 minutes.

Re Transfer to/from Salzburg Airport. The usual recommendation is Holiday Shuttle, which is a shared minibus transfer and almost certainly the service that your hotel will use. For 2 people, you will not be likely to get a better price. It would be different if there were 4 of more in your party, as you could then get quotes for your own minibus-taxi.

As for general information regarding Hinterglemm, in particular interesting ski routes, see the regular Saalbach-Hinterglemm thread ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=121133 ) and PM Tatman's Tours for his guide to the Ski Circus.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to all for your responses, really great advice, very much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all, me again Smile

Something I've been struggling to find an answer to online is regarding boot bags and if they can be taken as hand luggage. Seems it depends on the airline (and in some cases the mood of the check in person) but I was wondering as we have boots only should we risk chancing the hand luggage option or just pop them in a suitcase and put the excess clothes etc. into the hand luggage? Flying with Jet2.

Cheers

Jonathan
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boots are fine as carry on luggage as long as the bag complies with the airline's dimensions. A pair of boots will easily fit in a small suitcase which is easier to put in an overhead locker than a traditional boot bag. Having said that I normally pack my boots in my main luggage bag that goes in the hold.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hotels can usually get the lift passes for you, certainly thats where i often get them from.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy