Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2015/16 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Okay, I'll kick it off this year. Anyone looking for the guidance we've previously given on all things Ski Circus-related, please see last year's thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115193 and also the previous year's http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104841&highlight=saalbach+2013 (a veritable mine of information!) There are also separate threads about the new links to Fieberbrunn and Zell am See (the former completed and the latter projected). I expect that there will be a lot of new stuff to report on this thread in due course - hopefully some early snow for starters!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cant wait already booked early march, thought we might have had difficulty securing dates what with the new link to fieberbrun opening esp as we go mid week ,a quick look shows plenty of accom on main t/o sites at the moment ,booking direct saves a lot as most places offer inc lift pass
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've booked the Hotel Post for mid Jan and found plenty of availability for flights and accommodation. We're on the Thomas Cook 6am flight out of LGW (£75pp return) which is great as it means a mid day arrival in Saalbach giving us time to get lunch and a beer, then collect our boots / skis, liftpass and a cheeky extra ski from 4pm.

I can't wait!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Okay, I'll kick it off this year.

It was only right you 'owned' this thread. Thanks for your advice last year and looking forward to more of the same this year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PeteMan, You realise that your ski pass is valid from 3pm on the day before it officially starts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
quinton wrote:
@PeteMan, You realise that your ski pass is valid from 3pm on the day before it officially starts.

Thanks, for some reason I thought it was 4pm.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always think that:
a cheeky ski round the Kohlmais between 3pm and 4.25pm on the day of arrival (using a lift pass that technically begins the next morning), followed by happy hour drinks at the Bergeralm (two for the price of one, if you order before 4.30pm!),
followed at around 5.15pm by a ski down (freshly-groomed) pistes 66 and 52, to the Hinterhagalm party,
followed at around 7.30pm by a ski down the Turmwiese to Bauers or the Spitzbub or Burgi's,
is a very worthwhile bonus and gets the holiday off to a cracking start . Well worth getting an early flight to ensure arrival by early afternoon! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Precisely!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced instructor in Saalbach who could give my mate and I a couple of hours coaching at the start of our trip to get us back on track?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PeteMan, I'd be inclined to contact Zink ski-school (http://www.skischule-zink.at/en/home.html )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Llooking forward to your early season in resort reports, what an exciting year with Tbars gone and the link to Fieberbrunn
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ribblevalleyblue, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello,having looked at what is on offer on Crystal for our dates 27/2 - 5/3, I'm considering booking independently at a residence they have sold their allocation of (well it isn't showing on the website for these dates).

I'm a bit nervous about booking everything myself, especially the shuttle in terms of how long after the expected landing time should I book a slot, allowing for how long it takes to get bags etc after landing and also what time shuttle for the journey back?
Our intended flight would arrive at 9.30 on the Saturday (or I could book one that arrives at 10.45 if timing would work better) and the flight back the following week is 11.25, but there are warnings of transfers taking much longer on Saturdays. Also concerned what happens if we are delayed and miss our time slot booked.

Your advice appreciated
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kabooooooom, If it's of any help, on the outgoing journey we generally book a shuttle that leaves for Saalbach at least 20 minutes after landing (on the basis that we only have hand luggage and can reasonably expect the shuttle to wait, if necessary, for 10-15 minutes). We haven't yet had a flight that has been so delayed as to require us to contact the shuttle to get booked on to a subsequent departure. On the return journey we book a shuttle that is scheduled to get us to the airport at least an hour and a half before the take-off time. We haven't come unstuck yet!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the swift reply. For a flight arriving at 9.30, would 45 mins be sufficient time with luggage collection? Feels a bit tight but the next departure would be 12.30 which might lead me to booking a private transfer for convenience.
latest report
@kaboooooom, no issue with 45 mins at Salzburg if flight is on time
snow report
Looking fwd to my first trip to Saalbach in March Very Happy
latest report
I'm staying independently in Hinterglemm with the family in December. The kids will be in ski school and the other half probably as well. I'm wondering what to do with myself – is there any guided/hosted skiing or other obvious ways to meet up with like minded skiers? Otherwise, I guess it's back to ski school with me. Thanks!
snow report
To anyone considering Saalbach-Hinterglemm, I'm going back for a second trip this season, having enjoyed it so much last season and reckoning that the opening of the link to Fieberbrunn will provide enough new terrain to make it as interesting as going somewhere new. I'm a middle aged, fast groomer type skier and the resort is ideally suited to that. The on-piste restaurants are pretty good and some are exceptional. The apres is good and like all of Austria, the welcome is warm.
ski holidays
@kabooooooom, The Holiday Shuttle is very reliable and they are usually sensible/flexible regarding departure times. The drivers watch the arrivals board at Salzburg airport, so when you book online, put your flight number and ETA in the 'notes' section on the booking form. 45 mins is usually sufficient time to get from the plane to the bus and the drivers will wait in the arrivals hall if it takes a few minutes longer. For the return trip, it is a good idea to allow longer on a Saturday - min 2 hours for the journey plus 90 mins for check in etc. Better to be sitting in the airport cafe than fretting in a minibus 30 km from Salzburg.

Alternatively, if there are 3 or more in your group then it is almost as cheap to book a private VIP transfer from Holiday Shuttle. This is more convenient and of course runs to your timetable.
latest report
Thanks for all the helpful replies: have decided on the diy route and booked Hotel Konig for a week commencing 27/2.
The flight booked arrives at 10.45, which (if I remember correctly) means plenty of time before the shuttle or perhaps less wait if we go the taxi route. Really looking forwards to the holiday now even though a few months away.

As somebody who has never got on a ski bus in resorts, are all the lifts an easy walk from the hotel or would we need to get a bus to some of them or failing that take an alternate ski route via a more convenient starting lift? Just been looking at Tatman's winter guide and the piste map (have two screens at work which facilitates this easily) to view the routes described.
snow conditions
@kabooooooom, The baby lift is directly outside the back door of the König; ride up on that, then walk across the road to the Turm and Kohlmais lifts. If there is a queue of Snowacademy kids at the baby lift in the morning, then instead its an easy 5-10 minute walk up the main street to any of the main Saalbach lifts. You won't need the skibus unless you choose to use it to get to or from Hinterglemm rather than skiing there and back.

Re the transfer. If you book a VIP taxi you'll almost be in Saalbach before the 12.30 Shuttle leaves Salzburg. Grab some lunch in the village bakery, go next door to Hansi for your skis and 'lubrication', buy your weekly lift pass to start on Sunday and you can have a quick ski from 15.00 on Saturday before heading to Bauer's or Hinterhag for apres or to Bobby's for England v Ireland (k.o. 15.50 Saalbach time)
ski holidays
Sounds like a plan!
snow report
@kabooooooom, Great advice (as always) from @quinton, ! The only thing I would add is that, if you mention to Hansi that I recommended you to him, he will give you a very good discount. (There's no kick-back for me, but it keeps me in his good books, which can be useful when I want small favours.)
ski holidays
We usually book ski hire in advance online. Can this be done with Hansi (and mentioning your name of course) or is there no need to pre-book? Had strange thought of turning up ready to go and no skis being left for hire Smile
ski holidays
I would e-mail or phone Hansi - http://www.hansis-skiverleih.at/en.html. I know he prefers people to deal with him directly, rather than book through an intermediary, for obvious reasons. I've never known him run out of stock, but it wouldn't do any harm to give him a heads up.
snow conditions
@kabooooooom, Try these guys for a low-cost transfer: www.findtransfers.com. You'll get a good few quotes from different folks. You're best value would be a shared transfer I would think. But Tatman's Tours is the guy to listen to snowHead

And a word of warning about Hansi — he has a small bar (no, really) in the front of his shop, and he will offer you loads of Schnapps! So you can walk out drunk wink Great guy, and excellent prices.

And there is one thing I can really recommend in Saalbach, and that is the winter sleigh ride through the forest at the end of the valley. This is a totally magical experience; and you end-up at a wonderful family farm restaurant, and then take the sleigh back. Just ask your hotel.

Have fun and enjoy!
snow conditions
@PeDaSp, Thanks for that! Embarassed Since the late, lamented, very low-cost Transfer Service went bust, we've looked no further than the Holiday Shuttle, but we're always eager to learn of any transfer firms that may be as reliable but cheaper. Vorderegger Reisen is one such service, which can work out cheaper but may involve a longer transfer via Zell am See - we have yet to find out and would certainly be interested. For four or more people a private taxi booked via the Holiday Shuttle website may be hard to beat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3rd revisit 9th jan 2016 and i cannot wait! It really is one of the best ski areas and apres ski bars are electric!!

Bobbys bar is great for a pint of guinness aswell as the underground nightclub on the main street

but there is only 1 true apres ski bar the goatstall if you visit saalbach youve got to visit here pure madness from start to finish! Ive had many of laughs (and falls) on my way out of there back down to the village
snow conditions
Quote:

but there is only 1 true apres ski bar the goatstall if you visit saalbach youve got to visit here pure madness from start to finish! Ive had many of laughs (and falls) on my way out of there back down to the village

The mad après venue that is the Goasstall is in Hinterglemm rather than Saalbach. The clue as to where you are is the goats. Shocked
If you are having a similarly mad time of it, but there are no goats, then you are probably in Saalbach in the Hinterhagalm or possibly Bauers Schialm.
latest report
calders89 wrote:
3rd revisit 9th jan 2016 and i cannot wait! It really is one of the best ski areas and apres ski bars are electric!!

Bobbys bar is great for a pint of guinness aswell as the underground nightclub on the main street

*cough* the Goastall is in Hinterglemm... are you sure you're not mixing it up with the Hinterhagalm or Bauer's?
latest report
Sorry i forgot the forum police would jump all over my post, if you read my post properly i said if you visit saalbach you have to visit the goastall (random t in the original post apologies for that Very Happy )
snow report
Still sounds like the Hinterhagalm to me - the clue is in the words, "pure madness" Madeye-Smiley

And for all the pedants out there, it's spelt "Goassstall", as in "Goass" = Pinzgau word for "goat" (which, when you think about it, is interesting from an entymological point of view, as the German word for goat is "Ziege"), and "Stall" = barn or stable/shed. (I realise that I started a sentence with a conjunction, by the way.) wink
snow conditions
Thanks for starting this year's thread Tatman's Tours, I have been waiting for it with great anticipation!!

Based on the invaluable advice received from the all-knowing SnowHeads, I will be arriving in Saalbach at the beginning of January for my first ever ski holiday!!! Now all I can do is watch the webcams and wait for the snow!
latest report
@matfrazerz, It looks as if you won't have long to wait! Very Happy http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/mid

Hope to see you out and about for a beer!
snow conditions
Looks like a big dump is forecast at the weekend. Hopefully it will still be there for our visit on 11 December.
snow report
It looks as if it's going to be a significant drop in temperature and staying cold beyond the weekend. I would be very surprised, judging from past experience, if there were to be any thaw at this stage. Snowfalls during October are nice to see but too early to justify excitement; however once we get past mid-November, there is a reasonable expectation that the snow will be here to stay. Also the cold temperatures will enable the snow cannons to work overtime for days on end. It reminds me of 2007, when the snow was so plentiful that the resort was opened for skiing on the third weekend in November - we just happened to be there that weekend, and I well remember the pleasure of skiing on the Zwoelferkogel (top to bottom) on perfect, powdery, uncrowded pistes under a clear blue sky - doubly pleasurable as we there on a pre-season apartment-buying trip and hadn't expected to be able to ski. If I'm right, I expect that there will a rush to book pre-Christmas skiing trips, and, if early/mid-December conditions turn out to be perfect, I for one will be feeling extremely regretful that we haven't booked earlier flights.
ski holidays
I love Saalbach. Fun and happy place (beer happy Very Happy ). Used to go every few years a while back but haven't been for some time now. How's the weather been in recent years as one time I didn't go, looked on the web cams around Feb and it was just grass! ?
snow report
Here's what Hinterglemm looked like mid February 2014 http://imgur.com/JJbwKYu
ski holidays
@honved,nice pic. thought that downhill race was amazing - should be on the circuit every year. roll on 30/1 when I head off to Hinterglemm Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy