Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton tips for a nervous intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
@nozawaonsen, @pam w, thanks for the insightful discussion rolling eyes.

@pam_w, it seems Noza is at least trying to add some context to his posts based on experience in St Anton. Not really sure why you're involved at all as you don't have anything useful to add to this thread?! Maybe stick to your weather updates for Les Saisies.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
@nozawaonsen, "Ignore the miserable old sods" ..... somebody said above. No, I've not been to the Mooserwirt, and only visited St Anton in summer. The videos of the Mooserwirt give me the willies, frankly. I like to dance, and enjoy a drink, but I hate drunks, and hate drunken crowds most of all.

You might be surprised to be honest. The atmosphere at the Mooserwirt (and most Austrian style apres) is jolly rather than rowdy. It's hardly sophisticated, but often lots of fun.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen wrote:
I've always had plenty of fun at the Mooserwirt. Once or twice it's been too crowded but by and large as long as you are happy to get into the spirit, dance (on tables or not) and don't mind a crowd it's great. If that's not your thing and you know that in advance it's unlikely that you'll suddenly find you enjoy it (though you might), so in that case avoid it. There are plenty of other fun places to suit all tastes. The saddest of all are those that sneer at other people enjoying themselves (whether they are dancing on a table or train spotting). God save us all from having to spend any time with them. That would indeed be a dismal way to spend life.

HEAR BLOODY HEAR!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Some people just enjoy having a sing and a dance with their friends on holiday! There's no need to lose half a ski day, that's why it's called 'apres'.

Also, I'm commenting because I've actually been there. Many times. The atmosphere is brilliant!

I've also enjoyed a quiet apres drink on a sunny terrace (once or twice Toofy Grin).

'Miserable old sods' was a light-hearted comment, no need to let it push your buttons so much Pam.

Anyway, as you were, I hope the OP enjoys all St Anton has to offer, I did.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="clarky999"]
pam w wrote:
@nozawaonsen,

You might be surprised to be honest. The atmosphere at the Mooserwirt (and most Austrian style apres) is jolly rather than rowdy. It's hardly sophisticated, but often lots of fun.

This is why I raised it in the first place - kind of wishing now that I hadn't!

Now, back to the OP's original question, some runs to avoid....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Book a table one night at the hospiz restaurant in st christoph. Beautiful wine selection and fondue.

Rendl is wide and an easier ski. Some of the galzig gets very roughed up by midday.

Enjoy the moosewirt. My group loved it there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GottaCatchEmAll, train service is great, OeBB (Austrian railways) is very comfortable, especially if you happen to be on an ICE train.

Like others have said Rendl, Lech and Zurs tend to offer some quieter on piste options. And definitely no shame in getting the lift down if your legs are tired. Lots of great après options, most of which can also be reached by foot (via shuttle bus) if you do decide to get lift down but still want to enjoy the fun.

A little lower down The Underground is fun. Joan's bark is worse than her bite. Also tapas at Bodega is definitely worth it!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh and the Piccadilly in the town is great as well, had many a fun early evening in there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GottaCatchEmAll, you'll be fine, head up Gampen and Rendl initially and go from there. You've chosen well, weather and pistes are in great shape.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, calm down dear, it's only an anonymous internet thread discussion.

@Millom, it's a SH by-law that Pam must comment on every single thread, regardless of context or qualification

@nozawaonsen, love the Underground as well. Joan always greets me like a long lost friend despite the fact she has no idea what my name is.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, Just been reading the above - for someone who admits they have never been to St Anton apart from the summer you appear to have formed a very strong opinion that St Anton is full of drunken morons and that the place is akin to a 18/30's resort. I've been probably 70 weeks+ (winter and summer) and feel in a position to comment.

Respectfully, I'd suggest you take a winter visit, enjoy the skiing, a glass of wine and a sunset, ignore the minority who may overindulge (a very small percentage of the people who visit the Arlberg), and if able the freeride skiing that the Arlberg is famous for rather than bad-mouthing a place you've never been to. Mooserwirt/ KK etc exist for a younger crowd who like to party, they may have a different holiday agenda to you (and me btw) but in terms of the place it is MUCH more than a few no-marks who drink too much and give the place a bad name so folk like you can pick up on it. St Anton by no means compares to French après at all (there's something for everyone and you'll be welcomed), its chalk and cheese......go and sample it, you actually might like it, either way you'll be in a better position to comment I suggest.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And it's not always the younger ones that are the drunken morons...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sitter, Fair point. I avoid the run down between Griabli and MW after about 3pm, seen plenty of middle age folk staggering about, daft but they generally seem happy enough, so long as they don't affect us live and let live!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29, that is a nightmare pinch-point. Handy hint: park your skis (I also lock them) on deck the other side of Griabli and walk round to the bar side.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, very well made point. It is possible to have a fun time at apres bars in St Anton without getting so sh*t-faced you can't put your skis on, it's not quite the norm that You Tube would have you believe. There are several quiet bars for those who prefer a relaxing drink and a chat.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@HoneyBunny, indeed. Aquila is a favourite spot for drinks and/or dinner.
ski holidays
@Dr John, that's what we do too. Can't believe nobody really does it. There's only usually 20 pairs so there and saves the carnage of trying to find your skis whilst pished, in the dark and avoiding some dead bodies.

One of my mates fell asleep on the slopes having been unable to get his skis on, after a CCJ session at the Griabli. Safe to say he wasn't invited back again.
ski holidays
@Dr John, @boabski, us too, we lock ours to the ski racks at the back......tried the exit down the side of the steel staircase rather than walk up the slight incline? Its on my list of daft things to do wink Laughing

PS Not sure if all are aware but if you're eating on drinking the staff will give you a free wifi code.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@Markymark29, that is a nightmare pinch-point. Handy hint: park your skis (I also lock them) on deck the other side of Griabli and walk round to the bar side.

I always locked mine to the fence near the umbrella bar, the theory being there were plenty of other skis to nick! The first year I went, the piste past the Mooserwirt was mostly mud, it was horrendous! There was a strip of slush a few feet wide.
ski holidays
Quote:

One of my mates fell asleep on the slopes having been unable to get his skis on, after a CCJ session at the Griabli. Safe to say he wasn't invited back again.

Oh that is quite funny though!

I'm def more into skiing than drinking... but even I loved the MW and KK. Great atmosphere. snowHead
snow report
@kat.ryb, the same guy also had a bit of 'follow through' when he didn't make it to the bog in time. Different day. Like I said - not invited back Very Happy
snow report
@boabski, oh man, I pity whoever shared a room with him!
ski holidays
@boabski, sounds like an utter charmer. Would also definitely be off my future invite list.
ski holidays
@boabski,
Quote:

the same guy also had a bit of 'follow through'

.....just a partial one then..... Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
He was in our room. Had finished early for the day. When we arrived back from a griabli session he said "you'll be wondering why my salopettes are on the radiator?" - then decided to tell us what happened.💥 💩💩💩💩💩
latest report
Quote:

be wondering why my salopettes are on the radiator?

T.M.I! Skullie
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy