Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 Alpes Lift Strike

Poster: A snowHead
I rather like L2A, as for the glacier only being suitable for early intermediates, ask the national teams who were skiing there last summer ; )
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JamesHJ wrote:
I rather like L2A, as for the glacier only being suitable for early intermediates, ask the national teams who were skiing there last summer ; )

Unless they want to ski on rocks they don't have much choice though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Claude B wrote:
Back to the original topic. Very generous compensation IMO, free skiing today and full refund for those with passes. Big queues at ticket office when I passed about 45 mins ago.

I would hardly say that giving people money back for something they didn't receive is very generous compensation.

For many of the people who couldn't ride that day, it will be their only trip of the year so they lost time on the snow that they will not get back. Compare what they got back to the total price they have paid for their holiday and to lose 1 6th of the precious time, it's nothing.

As said above, it will definitely be off my places to go in future for risk of it happening again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you'll find that according to most resorts t&c's any lift open for any amount of time equals zilch. 3 hours free skiing or a refund is reasonable imo. I've been at Tignes with one lift/run open and got nothing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:

Unless they want to ski on rocks they don't have much choice though.

lol- I suppose the point is that skiing is what you make of it! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyway whilst most of you laptop warriors are banging away on the same theme tomorrow I'll be having my 45th day skiing this winter, probably only about the half way point, enjoy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Claude B wrote:
I think you'll find that according to most resorts t&c's any lift open for any amount of time equals zilch. 3 hours free skiing or a refund is reasonable imo. I've been at Tignes with one lift/run open and got nothing.

Exactly......more reason to avoid the place, oh and what with you spending so much time on the mountain there may also be the unfortunate chance of bumping in to you. Muppet.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B wrote:
Anyway whilst most of you laptop warriors are banging away on the same theme tomorrow I'll be having my 45th day skiing this winter, probably only about the half way point, enjoy Toofy Grin

Git NehNeh
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B wrote:

I take back all I say about you Claude, you are a horrible person Razz Razz Razz wink wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@buchanan101,
Quote:

Popular in numbers or from a survey - because a lot claim the latter of course

2.5m visitors a year for La Plagne...highest number for one resort in the world
Source:http://www.vanat.ch/RM-world-report-2015.pdf
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Surely the best places to ski are not too crowded
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Claude B wrote:
Lifts opened now!

Great to hear, I just love the French snowHead

And I for one wish us Brits would standup to the s%*@ that our government/local authorities put upon us rather than just accept it as is...without attempting to be political [not even mentioning the EU] but over the years if the French don't like something by God they act upon it, I remember the port blockades, mad cow disease to name but a few!

Enjoy the skiing Claude B & we'll join you very soon

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
if the French don't like something by God they act upon it,

Different approach to protest I think. The French consider it's their country and that they have an absolute right to express their views. The English (much more than the Welsh and Scottish) seem to have a sense of deference which plays into the hands of the government, who take a superior position and assert the view that protest is wrong I.e. the French are actually all in it together whereas we aren't.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B wrote:

Slacker.

Anyway the point is they've hardly curried favour with the family hol crowds losing 1 out of their precious 6 days skiing this year. Giving a refund when its your own failure to manage your own staff that has caused the problem is hardly generous it's the minimum, giving a coupon for a discount on a pass for your next visit as well would be better PR.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gyro, and all the other Les Deux Alpes knockers it might be worth factoring into your calculations that the lifts in La Plagne, Les Arcs and loads of other resorts are operated by the same company Compagnie des Alpes, that operates those in Les Deux Alpes. I guess it's quite a common tactic by big companies that want to introduce new working practices, reduce manning, to start in one, perhaps less important branch, and "test the water". Looks like they failed this time but maybe next time they will go for the biggy and try and slash a bit in La Plagne, who knows.
A few odd days a year in Les Deux Alpes is fine for me, I spend weeks in Alpe d'Huez, have done for years. Each to his own and like @Claude B, says, they are very complimentary. (Lifts in Alpe d'Huez are still owned 51% by the town I believe, but that has it's own problems).
snow report
@skitow, I don't think that's what was going on here. I haven't seen (which isn't saying much having read only one newspaper's report)anything about a reduction in staff, but that the syndic were asking for additional staff. There may have been an alteration in overtime rules. And the syndic decided that the "agreed" wages hadn't been increased enough at the start of the season.

It being France, had this been an effort by CdA to begin to bring in new working practices, I'd have expected La Plagne, Les Arcs, Chamonix, Avoriaz, et al. to all have come out very much in sympathy and it wouldn't have been agreed in a day.
snow report
@skitow,
I'm not knocking LDA, I'm knocking the people who run it from top management to lift loaders to the restaurant staff etc. they just seem to be so bad.

We stopped going to France a few years ago after a trip to La Plagne. We came home and thought, why do we go there. every year it was the same old, we have your money and now couldn't care less attitude from the staff.

So we stopped spending our money there and now spend it in the states or elsewhere in Europe.

This strike just re enforces that.
ski holidays
@under a new name, Fair comment, I had not really read about the details of the dispute to be honest. Personally I don't like the idea of one large company operating a lot of these things. I am sure there are benefits in economy of scale etc. but it does give them ability to manipulate for their own benefit. Having said that some of the ideas the local council in Alpe d'Huez come up with are not always the best, but that's not exclusively a french problem is it ? rolling eyes
I was in a, very, small, french, ski station on Tuesday where one young female liftie was operating 2 drag lifts about 100m apart, uphill. Stayed most of the time on the blue run one helping the kids etc. if there was a fault on the one serving the red and black she skied down fixed it and then took the drag part way back up to the small one. That was when it was quiet, yes quite on a Half term Tusday Smile when it was busy the other liftie who was doing repairs and maintenance, came and helped. Compagnie des Alpes probably dream about operating like that Smile
latest report
Claude B wrote:

You are more than welcome. I found the thought of a second week's skiing too much and pulled out after just one week. Once upon a time I would have loved a season's skiing. These days I have found other things to do with my time.

Resort workers who go on strike are striving for their own long-term unemployment, in my view.
snow report
@skitow, Col D'Ornon? Happy

God I was grumpy and condescending yesterday. I guess some will consider the compensation OK others not. Personally I find most people here charming but then I know a fair few, but even before I did.

I dont mind criticism of the resort, there are some I don't like and I accept it has some shortcomings but at least back it up with some constructive reasons as intermediate did when challenged. Everyone just seems to jump on the L2A is crap, it isn't btw, bandwagon.

Anyway I must go skiing wink
ski holidays
@Gyro, That's a fair comment too. The us (locals) and them ( visitors) attitude can develop anywhere and spending your hard earned cash where you get the best for you I would not disagree with. I cannot fault the lift staff here, Alpe d'Huez, they are always ready to answer your questions and really sometimes go well beyond what they have to do to help the kids on draglifts. The other night, at the the night skiing session there was a young lad who just could not hang on to the button, the liftie tried 3 times but by then there was a queue so he opened up the parallel, but slightly slower drag, and put him on that. To an extent I can understand them getting a bit cynical, they put 2 sessions a week on of night skiing on the slopes in the centre of town, OK the ESF do a lot of practice on one, but the other is a steep blue, would probably be red in some places, and is great to practice on, great views of the setting sun at the top, and a restaurant there. In the day there are queues everywhere, there are probably close to 35,000 visitors in the resort, how many are on the night skiing slopes, which is free with your lift pass, about 20. Gives you a great opportunity to ski at some ridiculous speed though Toofy Grin
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:

Have you a link for ski resort rankings?

Page 13 here:

http://www.vanat.ch/RM-world-report-2015.pdf
latest report
@Tris,
Quote:

buchanan101 wrote:

Have you a link for ski resort rankings?

Having posted that link earlier in this thread, I feel I've taken it a bit off original topic.
Maybe the Vanat annual report warrants a dedicated thread? I suspect it would stir strong opinions from the snowHead community.
It looks fascinating reading, for after all the snow has melted!

Page 13 here:

http://www.vanat.ch/RM-world-report-2015.pdf

snow conditions
billb wrote:
Quote:

Different approach to protest I think. The French consider it's their country and that they have an absolute right to express their views. The English (much more than the Welsh and Scottish) seem to have a sense of deference which plays into the hands of the government, who take a superior position and assert the view that protest is wrong I.e. the French are actually all in it together whereas we aren't.

I guess when you've chopped the heads off all your leaders once, there is less inhibition to protest the next time Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

I guess when you've chopped the heads off all your leaders once, there is less inhibition to protest the next time

hahahahah

yep
snow conditions
Orange200 wrote:
I guess when you've chopped the heads off all your leaders once, there is less inhibition to protest the next time Smile

The English chopped a head off too.
snow report
billb wrote:
Quote:

I think you have a highly romantic vision of France which isn't born out by reality.
ski holidays
Yet another reason to go skiing in Italy, Austria, etc... Every year French ski market share goes down and they respond by arrests, strikes and bans... Take your business to where you are welcomed and aren't at constant risk of having your holiday disrupted.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

One thing LDA is good at, the rudest lift staff in France.!

I doubt Lizzard managed to pull off a strike singlehandedly?
snow report
davidof wrote:

I think you have a highly romantic vision of France which isn't born out by reality.

Really? Then what is the reality?
ski holidays
And now a strike planned in Val D'Isere http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2016/02/26/val-d-isere-les-pisteurs-secouristes-menacent-de-faire-greve
snow report
I might be wrong but has Tignes / Val d'Isere got some half and half arrangement where the lifts are operated by a company and the pisteurs are employed by the town. I don't know if that is relevant here but I am sure I remember reading something like that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy