Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 Alpes Lift Strike

Poster: A snowHead
Any updates on this ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Statement from the lift company/resort:

The negotiations between the society 2 Alpes leisure and its employees who have not completed, some employees are on strike today. What that means:
- the low area of the slopes and small needle are currently open.
- the pool of 1650 M, the ice rink and the swimming pool of 1800 M (Village) are open and free.
- meetings of additional cinema at 15 pm: THE TUCHES 2 and chocolate.
- this is a whole list of outdoor activities you can do (outside the ski), To Take advantage of this nice weather: http://bit.ly/1Xx8ds5
- negotiations with times: this information is valid until further notice.
We will keep you posted on this page and on Twitter: @ 2 Alpes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gotta love the French, crap start to the season and so once the snow arrives they strike.

Perfect.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So does that mean the rest is closed?!? All the lifts?

PS Not lazy! On a phone so darent risk going to a horrendous French website to just trawl throught fluff for half an hour before finding the useful info.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In fairness, not many people would notice if they had a strike in summer.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just had a quick look at SkiPlan and this shows most lifts as closed: http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=deux-alpes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=en
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From what I've heard, the buttons at the bottom of the mountain are open in order to keep the ski schools running.

The rest of the mountain is closed, the pisteurs are on strike in sympathy for the lifties.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The rest of the mountain is closed, the pisteurs are on strike in sympathy for the lifties.

I bet the bars are having a boom. Or the buses to Alpe D'Huez and Serre Chevalier.
Another nail in the coffin of L2A, a snow resort in decline?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What are they striking about? They're seasonaires so presumably all on short term contracts and knew conditions in advance? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They want the lift company to employ at least a dozen more people to help crew the high speed chairlifts. It's primarily a safety issue, but naturally they're squeezing a pay rise demand into the negotiations wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@moody_git, outstanding behaviour.

Safety issue is one thing. Maybe they have a point although it's surely a little late in the season to realise (and one has to presume that these are the same chairlifts they had last year). Pay rise? Half way through the season - when (although I just realises that maybe LDA has some non-seasonal operational staff) half (more or less) of the contracts gone through? Really?

Love the French.

Bet the farmers will be out in sympathy next.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All the main lifts closed a few drags at resort level open. I thought it was morning only but its all day. I've just hiked up Vallee Blanche and there were loads of people walking, snow shoeing and skinning up. Lot of people milling around but I think a lot have gone to AdH.

Many pisteurs here are full time I think not seasonaires. Certainly one I know was working up the mountain all summer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Per le Dauphine, 298 out of some 400 employees are permanent.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Claude B wrote:

Many pisteurs here are full time I think not seasonaires. Certainly one I know was working up the mountain all summer.

Maybe he's a shepherd? wink
snow report
Yet another reason to never go back to Les Deux Alpes. I expect that they will manage to keep enough open so they don't have to refund any lift passes.
snow conditions
@Timc, two lifts are running, so yes.
latest report
I've just had some inside info that they've reached agreement Smile

@Timc, you won't be missed!
snow conditions
intermediate wrote:

What's you basis for that? The resort has just invested many many millions on a brand new piste back to resort, has a modern lift system, is as snow sure as any, had direct link to La Grave and has the largest skiable glacier in Europe for summer skiing as well as great Mountain biking. Sounds pretty healthy to me.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 17-02-16 16:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Global warming is a reality (we can have arguments about the reasons......) and resorts with glacier skiing probably have better prospects than the rest, especially after the dire conditions this Christmas and new year (and the previous Christmas, too) throughout much of the Alps.
snow report
But, @pam w, were the last two seasons due to global warming? or just alpine weather? c.f. 1988-89, 1989-90, etc...
latest report
It's all cyclical, regardless of human intervention.

It still hasn't prevented me from skiing in mid April and long may it last, because having to ski either this week or next week every year isn't on my agenda.
ski holidays
Lifts opened now!
ski holidays
Quote:

But, @pam w, were the last two seasons due to global warming? or just alpine weather?

Could be either - or both. But, whatever, resorts with very high altitude slopes are more future proofed than many. Global warming is definitely happening - that's not to say we won't have global cooling in some centuries' time, but that's probably irrelevant for our lifetime.
latest report
Glad the lifts are open again!
Quote:

Is L2A in the top 40 European winter resorts by visitor numbers? Have winter visitor numbers declined since the 1980s? Does it feature regularly in TO offers in the 21st century?
Great that they've improved the home run, as that has been a big drawback for decades. But IMO the glacier skiing is boring for anyone other than beginners or early intermediates. The piste network can be skied out in 2 or 3 days at the most. The town itself is sprawling and not attractively built.
I'm sure it will survive as a mid-range reasonably priced winter sports area. But I think it's best days have gone, rather like mine, I'm afraid. It could do without strikes in half term week, even if the cause is just.

What's you basis for that?
snow report
Is L2A in the top 40 European winter resorts by visitor numbers? Have winter visitor numbers declined since the 1980s? Does it feature regularly in TO offers in the 21st century?
Great that they've improved the home run, as that has been a big drawback for decades. But IMO the glacier skiing is boring for anyone other than beginners or early intermediates. The piste network can be skied out in 2 or 3 days at the most. The town itself is sprawling and not attractively built.
I'm sure it will survive as a mid-range reasonably priced winter sports area. But I think it's best days have gone, rather like mine, I'm afraid. It could do without strikes in half term week, even if the cause is just.
snow report
It seems to be a good Easter resort. We were there last Easter skiing from Easter Sunday (April 5th) for 6 days. Mid station (Cretes) upwards was good almost too cold at the top. I still managed to ski down Diable to the bottom although it was slushy, narrow and challenging late afternoon but that's pretty good for 8th/9th April on average. The Vallee Blanche had gone but that was to be expected. It is a rather spread out town with longish walks or bus ride needed to lifts and the ski area is comparatively narrow but with a lot of vertical to compensate. I rate it above ADH certainly for Easter. And it has one of the best instructors I've come across: Charlotte Swift (Easiski). I ,for one, will go back there.
ski holidays
@intermediate, thanks, at least you've now justified your assertion, some of which I agree with, some I dont. The only way it would compete with mega resorts is if the Alpe D'Huez link happens. Knowing both they are complementary.

This is France strikes aren't unheard of wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a resort that divides opinion. When you look at @Claude B, 's list, it looks to have all the components for the premiership. But, somehow, it's still in the championship (a bit like La Plagne, I think) and I can't work out why. Perhaps it's the lack of lift-link to another resort, La Grave apart. If you dial in your holiday dates into one of those online ski travel agents, there are usually page after page of Les Deux Alpes offers. Unlike @billb, I much preferred Alpe d'Huez but that was comparing a March trip with another March holiday.
ski holidays
Back to the original topic. Very generous compensation IMO, free skiing today and full refund for those with passes. Big queues at ticket office when I passed about 45 mins ago.
snow report
@Claude B,
Quote:

The only way it would compete with mega resorts is if the Alpe D'Huez link happens.

Yes, I'd be back for a week's trial if that link happened. I'm glad L2A seems to be stirring itself after resting on laurels far too long.
@LOTA,
Quote:

it looks to have all the components for the premiership. But, somehow, it's still in the championship (a bit like La Plagne, I think)

...and yet with 2.5m visitors a year, La Plagne has the highest number of visitors to one resort area in the world. Personally I don't find La Plagne thrilling but it offers significantly more than L2A IMO. When you consider that Les Arcs comes in 4th in visitor numbers, Paradiski has certainly been doing something right these last couple of decades. L2A and Alpe D'Huez would do well to learn from that if they both want to prosper...or maybe they're happy sauntering along separately in the middle ground?
Source:http://www.vanat.ch/RM-world-report-2015.pdf
ski holidays
@Claude B,
Quote:

Back to the original topic. Very generous compensation IMO, free skiing today and full refund for those with passes. Big queues at ticket office when I passed about 45 mins ago.

That's good PR...well done to them. Doubt whether EK or 3V would have done much more than shrug their shoulders!
latest report
under a new name wrote:

Bet the farmers will be out in sympathy next.

No the SNCF from 18-22 February.
snow report
There was a sign in the local U that the lack of meat is due to a strike so I think they already have Confused
snow conditions
Timc wrote:
Yet another reason to never go back to Les Deux Alpes. I expect that they will manage to keep enough open so they don't have to refund any lift passes.

My least favourite of any resort I've been to. Ugly, and took decades to sort out a proper resort run.

This is actually funny, if you aren't holidaying there at the moment.
ski holidays
LOTA wrote:
It's a resort that divides opinion. When you look at @Claude B, 's list, it looks to have all the components for the premiership. But, somehow, it's still in the championship (a bit like La Plagne, I think)

Would that be the la Plagne, that even without the link to les Arcs, is the most popular ski resort in the world? Or another la Plagne?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
LOTA wrote:
It's a resort that divides opinion. When you look at @Claude B, 's list, it looks to have all the components for the premiership. But, somehow, it's still in the championship (a bit like La Plagne, I think)

Would that be the la Plagne, that even without the link to les Arcs, is the most popular ski resort in the world? Or another la Plagne?

Have you a link for ski resort rankings?

Popular in numbers or from a survey - because a lot claim the latter of course Smile
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
davidof wrote:
LOTA wrote:

Have you a link for ski resort rankings?

Popular in numbers or from a survey - because a lot claim the latter of course Smile

As the poster above mentioned, popular in terms of the most skier days in the world.

One thing LDA is good at, the rudest lift staff in France.!
ski holidays
@davidof, each to their own. Perhaps its very popularity is what makes the La Plagne experience a bit underwhelming!
ski holidays
LOTA wrote:
@davidof, each to their own. Perhaps its very popularity is what makes the La Plagne experience a bit underwhelming!

Yes, it is a factory but personally I'd sooner ski at la Plagne than les Deux Alps. Not that I've skied la Plagne for 10 years.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy