Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Define “Smart/ Casual” in a Ski Hotel

Poster: A snowHead
I have just grabbed a hoodie to wear hanging up in my wadrobe. I counted 12 items of mine including suit, dinner jacket and ski jacket.

I counted my wife's (not wives). There were 171 items hanging up, mainly dresses.

When my daughter was 4, I counted 74 dresses in her wardrobe. She didn't even like wearing dresses.

I think 12 items is far too many for any man.

I must have a clear out.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cameronphillips2000, hmm, but do you have 50 t-shirts in a drawer in your bedroom? I have less in drawers as I have more that needs to hang up. T-shirts can be folded.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hoodie hung up? I have a fleece trunk.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cameronphillips2000, I'm 69 and have probably had fewer than 74 dresses in my entire life. Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cameronphillips2000, wow, jealous of your 4-year-old's wardrobe space! As we live somewhere that has proper seasons, my husband and I have to pack/unpack clothes at the end of each season and would love to have the space to avoid that tedious task.

74 dresses hanging in the wardrobe of a 4-year-old who doesn't even like wearing them... that's slightly insane Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I have just grabbed a hoodie to wear hanging up in my wadrobe. I counted 12 items of mine including suit, dinner jacket and ski jacket.

I counted my wife's (not wives). There were 171 items hanging up, mainly dresses.

When my daughter was 4, I counted 74 dresses in her wardrobe. She didn't even like wearing dresses.

I think 12 items is far too many for any man.

I must have a clear out.

I'd start with the Wife!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, I'm 69 and have probably had fewer than 74 dresses in my entire life. Laughing
+1 !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great thread

I need advice. When is it OK to appear for breakfast in your thermal underwear.

Would the color of the thermals matter.

What if you were a couple with three kids under 8
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@TQA, make sure you have a pair of tube socks down the front, should be ok then.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been ignoring this thread but its much more fun than I expected.

I'm completely on board with smart casual in a ski hotel meaning not turning up in your ski wear for dinner. TBH I'd probably wear a shirt / polo shirt or thin sweater and long trousers (quite possibly jeans) but I wouldn't think people were out of place in a t-shirt.

I work in a city type job so wear a suit/shirt and smart shoes Monday to Thursday. I won't necessarily wear a tie unless I'm meeting clients or company management (I meet CEOs and CFOs of our potential investments quite often). Friday is dress down for which our constraints are no trainers/jeans/shorts/ t shirts. Unless I'm meeting clients or company management when I'm formal again.
Personally I don't mind putting a suit on - there is a reason that suits have endured, they are carefully engineered to make men look good Very Happy Obviously I look fabulous in a paper sack but still Very Happy Very Happy Many people hate wearing ties but they don't bother me really - if your collar fits well a tie doesn't need to grip your neck! And they do balance out the lapel and collar. The other thing I quite like about being smart for work is changing from work to leisure at the end of the day.
In terms of etiquette, I think it is polite to "mirror". You see this naturally with body language of course but it applies to dressing. If a CEO is spending a day meeting investors he/she will be suited. It is just good manners to show them the same courtesy in response. Pre-financial crisis when the hedge funds were in their self-satisfied pomp I use to turn up at group meetings (several investors meeting a CEO) to find some of my peers/competitors would be in scruffy jeans and trainers. I regarded it as trying hard to be "too cool for school" - really rather laughable - and I still have that prejudice when I see people being ostentatiously underdressed in a business context. People who wear hoodies to a business meeting are making a statement but I just think its quite a shallow one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

They are basically saying have a shower/bath and change for dinner.

Yup - have a shower, get changed out of ski wear and don't wear your thermals without some sort of covering in the public areas.

No one wants to look at your camel toe / moose knuckle! rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TQA,
Quote:

I need advice. When is it OK to appear for breakfast in your thermal underwear.
When you live alone on benefits and the parole officer doesn't turn up until after lunch. Only acceptable colour is grey, although a degree of 'social staining' is acceptable.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 23-03-16 12:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jedster,
Quote:

I've been ignoring this thread but its much more fun than I expected.

I'm completely on board with smart casual in a ski hotel meaning not turning up in your ski wear for dinner. TBH I'd probably wear a shirt / polo shirt or thin sweater and long trousers (quite possibly jeans) but I wouldn't think people were out of place in a t-shirt.

I work in a city type job so wear a suit/shirt and smart shoes Monday to Thursday. I won't necessarily wear a tie unless I'm meeting clients or company management (I meet CEOs and CFOs of our potential investments quite often). Friday is dress down for which our constraints are no trainers/jeans/shorts/ t shirts. Unless I'm meeting clients or company management when I'm formal again.
Personally I don't mind putting a suit on - there is a reason that suits have endured, they are carefully engineered to make men look good Obviously I look fabulous in a paper sack but still Many people hate wearing ties but they don't bother me really - if your collar fits well a tie doesn't need to grip your neck! And they do balance out the lapel and collar. The other thing I quite like about being smart for work is changing from work to leisure at the end of the day.
In terms of etiquette, I think it is polite to "mirror". You see this naturally with body language of course but it applies to dressing. If a CEO is spending a day meeting investors he/she will be suited. It is just good manners to show them the same courtesy in response. Pre-financial crisis when the hedge funds were in their self-satisfied pomp I use to turn up at group meetings (several investors meeting a CEO) to find some of my peers/competitors would be in scruffy jeans and trainers. I regarded it as trying hard to be "too cool for school" - really rather laughable - and I still have that prejudice when I see people being ostentatiously underdressed in a business context. People who wear hoodies to a business meeting are making a statement but I just think its quite a shallow one.

I agree with 99% of that. I don't get the idea of 'I've paid to stay in this hotel so therefore I have the right to dress how I like". I think it is generally good manners to mirror/conform with how others are dressed and also how the hotel owners would like you to dress. That's not to say that I don't equally dislike it when a downmarket establishment has firm rules they try and enforce just in an effort to move their business upmarket.

The only area I might disagree with you is that I can't really think of T-shirts as anyweher close to 'smart casual for a man. Polo shirts are perfect for hot evenings in a summer setting but I'm not sure they are right in this scenario. Clean jeans are fine.
snow report
So this entire thread is about whether people are conformists or not essentially. No surprise conformists like to conform and attach significance to minor details. I suspect that they might also be slightly more externally motivated by social status, the importance of mixing with the right people and getting ahead.

Then there are non-conformists who don't really believe in uniforms and deliberately or simply through not really caring break some of the "rules".

I know people who take great care to ensure their little kids don't look "chav" at any time. Seems rather pointless to get them dressed up in nice clothes rather than trackie bottoms to roll around in mud at the local playground though.
ski holidays
Quote:

Then there are non-conformists who don't really believe in uniforms and deliberately or simply through not really caring break some of the "rules".

there are also non-conformists who are just a bit childish about making a non-conformist statement by how they dress. often it is just easier to throw on a suit so its dressing differently that is more motivated by putting on a display
snow conditions
Oh yes there are definitely peacocking non conformists too. You can spot them because rather than wearing the raspberry cords and cravat to breakfast they eschew the thermals in favour of a mankini.
ski holidays
Quote:

Oh yes there are definitely peacocking non conformists too. You can spot them because rather than wearing the raspberry cords and cravat to breakfast they eschew the thermals in favour of a mankini

Very Happy

related topic - I always wear ski gear to breakfast. In a hotel that would mean ski/shell pants rather than just thermals. Does anyone really bother getting dressed twice before they go skiing?
ski holidays
Quote:

Does anyone really bother getting dressed twice before they go skiing?

Nope. But either put on your shell trousers over thermal bottoms, or chuck a pair of 'modesty shorts' over thermals. Moose knuckle / camel toe has no place at breakfast.
snow conditions
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Does anyone really bother getting dressed twice before they go skiing?

Nope. But either put on your shell trousers over thermal bottoms, or chuck a pair of 'modesty shorts' over thermals. Moose knuckle / camel toe has no place at breakfast.
Hear hear!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy