Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Val Claret - Driving Conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have booked 6th-13th March in Tignes, we are flying into Lyon and arrive about 11.40 which I think will be fine for driving up (still in the daylight etc), but the flight back leaves at 8am which means leaving Tignes at 3am!

Is that safe? (I have driven on snow in Wales maybe twice before, so not hugely experienced)

Am I better off booking a minibus transport or driving down the lunchtime before and staying overnight at the airport?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would you drive in the UK at 3am?

What are the risks that there will be snow on the road?

You can answer one of these - the other is a gamble - so ...?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It'll almost certainly be completely fine at that time of year.
If it snows then as long as you specified snow chains / tyres for your hire car then you will also be fine.

Snow tyres would probably cover 95% of any possible situation, with snow chains the get out of jail card ( but they are a pain to put on).
Take it easy, no sharp braking or acceleration and you'll be fine.

I'm pretty convinced that just having snow chains in the car means that it won't snow wink
Don't worry about it
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've certainly driven in the Welsh mountains at 3am (my only problem with it would be all my friends out drinking to 3am and me having to go to bed early!) - but I just wasn't sure about how good the road is to Tignes (ie are snow chains normally required or is it normally clear, is it wide?) and whether night driving is usually warned against in the Alps as I've never driven there before (indeed I've yet to drive on 'the wrong side of the road' - only driven in Ireland and UK before as up until now I've always been too young for the car hire [ie under 25] and travelling with older family).

If the road is good then I have no worries.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a fair question. I've several times had to wait in my garage, with chains on my snow tyres, for the first snowplough of the morning, before being able to leave. This is a minor road and between about 10 pm and 0630 the road is not ploughed. In heavy snow it becomes impassable before the plough has made one pass. So, if faced with an essential start at 3 am and heavy snow forecast I'd be a bit concerned. Unlikely, but it happens, especially at the altitude of Val Claret. If your accommodation is difficult of access I'd ask local advice and consider loading everything possible the night before and leaving the car somewhere with easy access onto a road kept clear 24 hours a day. With chains on. Putting them on whilst clearing a foot of snow off the car, at 2 am, wouldn't be any fun.

And from Lyon you mightn't get snow tyres.

Chances are the roads will be clear and full of stars!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snovice, welcome to Snowheads Very Happy snowHead

You should ensure that the hire car will be fitted with winter tyres and it will have snow chains. Tignes is quite a long mountain road - just a standard 2-way. If you have winter tyres and snowchains you will be fine.

A transfer makes more sense if you are not comfortable with the idea and don't want the faff or cost of ensuring winter tyres and snowchains are fitted.

Also bear in mind that it is compulsory paid parking in Tignes and it isn't cheap - around 70 Euros for a week if I remember correctly.

We drove to Tignes from the UK Christmas 2014. Coming out was the big storm and we needed chains.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
If your accommodation is difficult of access I'd ask local advice and consider loading everything possible the night before and leaving the car somewhere with easy access onto a road kept clear 24 hours a day. With chains on. Putting them on whilst clearing a foot of snow off the car, at 2 am, wouldn't be any fun.

Just on this there are underground car parks which make the issue of fitting chains for the return journey less problematic.

But I would also add that if the weather is expected to be inclement overnight I would be tempted to just head out mid to late evening rather having a short and probably restless night in your accomodation.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Follow this thread - I put my view of potential weekend travel conditions on there every week:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120323

Make sure you have booked chains - cars at Lyon don't have them by default. Oh and don't put them on in the lower levels of the car park - it is very difficult/nigh on impossible to drive up a concrete ramp with them on Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy