Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2015/16 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
What with snow half way down Palafour yesterday and the Glacier opening in 2 weeks time (Oct 3rd) and a number of questions appearing in general threads I hereby declare this season's Tignes thread well and truly open. Lets hope for a better start to the season than last year.

As is the tradition here is a list of useful links (which have been checked wink but some are still sleeping...)

Tignes Main Site (official):
http://www.tignes.net/en
Ski passes:
http://www.skipass-tignes.com/en
Bus Transfers
Daily from Geneva, Sat-Sun from Chambery and Fri-Sun from Lyon:
http://www.altibus.com/
Weekends from Geneva, Chambery and Grenoble, Fri-Sun from Lyon: (Edit 30 Oct - Looks like Chambery has dropped off the website)
http://www.bensbus.co.uk/
Private Transfers (Operators based in Tignes):
http://www.snowstar.co.uk
http://www.mountainrides.co.uk/
Ski Instruction (British Staff):
http://www.ski-instruction-tignes.co.uk/default.aspx
http://www.tdcski.com/tignes/
Weather:
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/tignes/73320
Route Info (Savoie Only):
http://savoie-route.fr/
Avalanche Reports (Meteo France):
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/savoie/avdept73
Live Lift Status:
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=tignes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=val-d-isere&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
Bus Timetable from Bourg:
http://altibus.com/documents/gares/9/navettes.pdf
Val-Tignes evenings only (for repatriation of lost souls that missed the last lift!):
http://www.mairie-tignes.fr/fr/information/69534/transport-stationnement

So a few more handy bus routes and some more competition courtesy of Ben and his buses.

As I have not been in resort this summer I have not been party to the comings and goings regarding bars, restaurants and Tour Ops but rest assured I will be on the case from late November with all the latest news.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-11-15 13:03; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway, glad to have you back! It makes me feel like we are getting nearer to the start of the season....I can nearly smell the snow....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes booked for 9th Jan and 6th March. Snow dances have started. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
just booked for new years last night...

question for here... i haven't been for 2 years last time was new year 13/14... spent over 35 weeks in Val and Tignes... Since they actually spend money on lifts what changes are there for this season and last season???
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@scottydonald, The last new lift in Tignes was the Tov Gondola (2 years ago) which was probably about 3 seasons worth of investment. I don't know about any new ones in Tignes this year. Last year Val put a magic carpet at the bottom of the snow park and this summer they have removed the Lac Chair and Terrace Poma at the top of the Solaise and replaced them with 3 magic carpets as part of a grand revamp of the Solaise, a new Gondola will replace the 4 man Solaise Express in Summer 16.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks @chocksaway

found some pics of Solaise and looks carnage up there... guess will end up like VT with the carpets and the queues to them...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Since they actually spend money on lifts what changes are there for this season and last season???
About five years ago I recall seeing proposed/forthcoming lift upgrades, including timescales, being displayed on the wall in the funi waiting area at Val Claret for quite a long length of time. That showed an upgrade to the lift out of Les Boisses and also to the slow chair from the top of the Boisses gondola to Aiguille Percee.

The Boisses gondola came to fruition - but what's happened to the Aiguille Percee upgrades? The existing slow chair is a pain in bad/cold weather.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Much as I love the runs on the Aiguille percee side I do now tend to avoid them. Main reason being the chairs. They really need to look at the 2 chairs from the top of the Boisses Gondola and the Grand Huit and the Percee chair.
But god know how much they would all cost. Hopefully with all the building at 1800 they will look at the links before they start getting bad bottlenecks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mountainaddict, How long have you got?
As ever its all down to local politics. Firstly, the Lift Company do not own the lifts, they have a licence to operate and exploit the lifts for a 20 year 'lease'. So the Mairie and local interested parties get together to discuss major upgrades. The old Mayor wanted to rip out the Paquis Chair and replace the Aeroski with a 6 man chair. The Paquis was to be used from the Marais plateau (ie replace one of the v slow lifts). This upset the locals of Lavachet (lose one of their 2 6 packs) even though it was not used much. The skischools rebelled against the chair replacing the Aeroski - downloading was vitally important to them - going down Piste H and catching a bus would be too difficult with clients. After much heated debate (including an internet campaign to 'Save the Paquis') the Gondola won out which cost about 3 times the proposed chair replacement. And the plan to move the Paquis faltered. There was also an undercurrent from some in the resort that anything the old mayor did was wrong if not evil so it became very fractious. Hopefully, I will be able to find out what the long term plans are this season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I kinda like old slow cold lifts. (and areas with no blue runs) They really kept some areas quieter. Not really into the mantra where punters can go everywhere.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers chocksaway - though, IIRC, the stuff that used to be up on the wall of the funi station virtually made out that it was all 'coming soon.' Guess I'd best not hold my breath eh?

I guess we're all just getting spoilt kioksor! Although I do enjoy just skiing anywhere - rope tows...ancient single chairs...All better than no lift at all wink.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow almost down to Val Claret today - winter's on its way!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:
Snow almost down to Val Claret today - winter's on its way!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Just been looking at the webcams (I think Tignes webcams are by far the best btw especially as they run all year unlike a lot of other resorts) and it's looking rather fabulous on a brisk looking sunny day - it looks like they are testing out one of the snow cannons on the Trolles black running back down into le Lac - I then noticed a herd of what must be cows on the slope just below, that's the first time I've seen them on the cams in Tignes.

I'll be looking at the forecasts and cams from November onwards daily as will be there for the PSB on the 28th November. Definitely starting to feel a little bit excited now for our first ski trip of the winter. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Atomic_Mick, The goats are also let loose in the summer - whichever they will soon be heading down the hill to a warm cowshed and hay. The thing you can't hear on the webcams are the large cowbells which start tinkling as soon as the sun comes up - fine when you pad is in the middle of the village - but when its outside the window of the 4 star in Les Almes the clients tend to complain! As I understand it most of the milk goes to make the fab Beaufort cheese - which comes in 2 sorts - summer and winter - depending on whether they were chomping hay or alpine flowers at the time of milking!
snow report
Didn't know that about the lovely Beaufort cheese chocksaway! Dunno what we've had... Smile - can you taste the difference then??
snow report
Oh Yes - you can tell by the price as well, the summer is nicer (IMHO) and more expensive
snow report
I'm already dreaming of my mid-March trip back!!
ski holidays
Some piste bashing been happening on the Grande Motte this morning on the webcam ahead of the opening a week tomorrow Very Happy - the race pitches towards the top (also worth noting the crevasses centre screen - so you are not tempted to stray off piste when they are covered with 5 cm of snow).
ski holidays
Anyone one on the ground know whats happening in Le Lac. I know they are putting in a new magic carpet on the side of Trolles but what is the digger doing where the carpet used to be by the Gondola station?
ski holidays
I was going to ask that too. That magic carpet is so painfully slow, but I guess it has to be for the kids. I wonder if they're changing it for a better one.

It looks like they're filling in that slope after the run out from Trolles to make it shallower, so it should be less knackering to pole out.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 28-09-15 15:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
A faster one would be great but understand that is a good speed for the kids. My request would be for it to be about another 10m longer to save my legs a bit on the way to the palafour. Its a long way from the Loop to the Bec Rouge Very Happy
snow conditions
Really we need a fast tow from the bottom of Trolles all the way to the Palafour chair haha. Lazy, moi?
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Really we need a fast tow from the bottom of Trolles all the way to the Palafour chair haha. Lazy, moi?

If we could organise the double drag at the side of the Palafour to stay open till about 7.30pm as well it would be perfect..... Always got to run to get the last drag rather than go up the rue do poste. Cant walk past the Embu with out a cheeky beer.
snow report
Interesting - I get e mails from STGM, the Mairie and the Proprietors office and none have mentioned the reorganisation of the Rosset Front. But it looks like the Rosset Chair and the old unreliable slow magic carpet have gone, which is news to me. Under the grand scheme which I described above there was a plan to replace the Rosset with a magic carpet. As Espace Killy seems to have bought a job lot of covered carpets over the last 3 years I can only assume this is what we are getting - no doubt time will tell.

@Timg60, Fine words - there was a plan 5 years ago to out a 'Skiable passarelle' from the Chardonnet piste all the way in front of the Palafour with exits off - which would have made the Embu ski in - but the residents on the lower floors kaiboshed (sp?) that one.

@HoneyBunny, Seems like you need a schussing coaching session - if you cants get past the Tov bttom station you are not trying!! wink
latest report
@chocksaway, ha, I can't get up the slope since they put that chicane in (plus I'm a wuss Wink)
ski holidays
@chocksaway,
Was not in the area last year. Still have my tignes card from the season before last. I know I am in the EK for at least 5 weeks this season. Probably 6 or 7. So probably makes sense to get a season pass I think. The price seems to be E1026. More expensive than I thought. Got it for about 850 two years ago. That is a hell of a hike. Are there any more discounts available that you know about.?
The alternative is a 3 week pass then a 2 week pass but event that I suspect is more expensive and does not give the flexibility of going again without having to pay again.

Certainly some of the weeks I will be staying in Val D'Isere. I assume there is nothing that stops me just using the Tignes EK pass despite this.

Had been to EK every year for more than a decade and decided last year to go to some new venues. But need a Tignes fix.
latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:

At least you don't have to take your skis off nowadays like when the roundabout was there wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mark1863, 4 and a half separate weeks is normally the breakeven point for a season pass. I assume your 1026 includes the discount by using the Pass Tignes Card. The only ways to get any more discount are to buy an apartment, get a job in resort or join SW as an instructor! As I understand it the first trip of the validity period must be made in the half of the resort that the card belongs too (whether a week or a season); so as long as yu come to Tignes first it should be OK. As I recall pases have not gone up much over the last 3 years so not sure how you got away with 850, I get 50% of for the pad and it was over 500 2 years ago.
snow report
@chocksaway,
Thanks. I have checked and it was €858. €1026 ain't too bad though. Yes includes the Tignes card discount. First 2 weeks will be Tignes. So good. €270 seems to be the 6 day pass price for 2015/6 EK pass. I will get a couple of free days in 3V that will save me a bit in my week there. Cheers
ski holidays
Booked into Tignes on Boxing day and thinking of driving out rather than flying. Seemed like a reasonable idea until a friend suggested that half of europe will be on the french autoroutes late christmas day and boxing day. Anyone got definitive thoughts/information?.........
ski holidays
Nothing definitive but boxing day seems to be a full transfer day this season. If you can get a hotel booked close to resort in the Valley I don't think Christmas Day will be too bad for driving. Something Tignes side of Chambery eg Albertville would be a good place to be.
ski holidays
And (drum roll........) the Playground is open for the season Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
After a snow shower yesterday afternoon the Glacier looks fab this morning (if a tad breezy) and lots of smiling faces on the Panoramic chair showing on the webcam. Only limited lifts are open because of the limited snow cover but hopefully that will change over the next week as it looks like and unsettled period with a snowline around 2700m.

Bon ski!!
ski holidays
Cheers chocksaway! As ever, the updates are appreciated and excitement mounts for the season ahead.

This owners' discount season ticket thing has got us thinking... wink ....Didn't realise you got as much as 50% off - which means it's probably worth getting one and doing 3 separate weeks over the season (not this season though as already booked flights to Munich and Calgary - plus Tignes in January).

What do you need to do to buy a ticket/prove that you are an owner Puzzled
snow report
@mountainaddict, You have to join the Proprietors Scheme, details here:
http://proprietaires.tignes.net/en
You then have to prove how many weeks the pad is occupied by visiting the office in Le Lac or your rental agency will do it. If you get less than 6 weeks then you get 30% of the passes for the direct family (You Mrs MA and the MAlettes), 6-15 weeks = 40 % and 16 weeks gets you the full monty. You also get swim, gym and wellness passes - no of beds = no of passes for each. It really is no hassle - the office is run by Delphine (a Belgian who speaks better English than me) and Pippa who is originally from Essex - no comments on her English!!). Easy Peasy
latest report
Today was the first day of pre-season skiing on the Grand Motte glacier. Conditions looking good Happy (via PlanetSki)

snow conditions
Thanks for that chocksaway - much obliged. We normally get about 14 weeks rentals, so that's all worth knowing.

More Qs (sorry....):

- Did I once hear a mention of proprietors getting some kind of deal on parking?

- Do the gym, wellness etc only kick in if you buy a season pass? Or is it (again) down to no. of rental weeks?
snow conditions
I know it's all going to melt but my does does it look all pretty snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:
I know it's all going to melt but my does does it look all pretty
Absolutely glorious today - with snow to fairly low levels for the time of year Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy. The glacier must be absolutely fantastic at the moment.

snow report
I'm desperately trying to convince the wife that after the last week of fantastic weather we have just had that a sun holiday isn't needed. However a 3rd week skiing is completely necessary. Just started looking for the 12th of December for another week in tignes. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy