Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buddies needed bargain week Les Deux Alpes 5th March

Poster: A snowHead
ok so lift pass is 253.10, or with insurance 274.10. I don't mind paying for the three of us, and I'd buy Steve's to offset what I owe him for accommodation and then work out the loose change. I'm guessing we won't need a re-chargeable card for 2eu unless anyone is planning on staying longer?

I'm also kinda excited they do night skiing, I've never done that before, but not sure if it's just a bit of a gimick.

@Steve, please can you confirm if you are happy for me to sort lift passes, and whether you want the extra 3 eu/day insurance?
@Michael, assuming Steve hasn't bought them already (and I'll wait for him to confirm), I'll buy yours and PM bank details. I'll need your age for the pass.
@Phil, do you want insurance also? Same as above, I'll need your age and PM bank details.

To confirm, first day of skiing is sunday 6th?...

La Grave does sound interesting and I believe I could control myself fine, but my concern will certainly be slowing people down. So yeah, may be me and Michael on another slope or propping a bar up! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ok, so you posted in the meantime. hah!

Steve, the 3eu/day is specifically for helicopter rescue if you wipe out that bad. Saves having to give a credit card there and then and then claim it back I guess.

If you are happy to buy the lift passes and then tot up the accom and pass and transfer etc, then I'm more than happy to do a bank transfer straight away. Whatever you prefer Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not flown monarch before and their website wasn't entirely clear. With the ski allowance that's 20 odd kg and it also allows for a boot bag. Does this mean I in essence get my ski bag in the hold, and take my boot bag plus 10kg hand luggage allowance in the cabin?

My ski bag will take most of my ski kit anyway Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just catching up again....
The 2 euros for the lift card is compulsory. Its reusable and can be recharged at anytime in resort or directly on L2A's website (or even on their App). Lift pass insurance covers more than a free ride in a helicopter - with it you'll not need to present a credit card before anything will be done for you! - Just cut this from their website;
For 3€ per day and per person you are covered as following:
- Search and rescue costs on and off the ski runs
- Refund of your unused ski-lift packages and skiing lessons
- Refund of insured packages for your family (in the event of repatriation of an insured member of your family for health reasons)
- Additional medical costs incurred at the resort following a skiing accident
- Your repatriation and repatriation of the insured members of the family
- Refund of your package in the event of bad weather resulting in the closing of the ski-lifts

Alp D'huez helicopter is 70 euro pp. This is actually very cheap for the experience and if you compare it for helicopter rides elsewhere.

La Grave can all be booked when in resort if you want to go. It's probably better as you can choose a forcasted blue sky day
Smile. Skiing La Grave is not about speed as the scenery is truly breath taking. I skied it at a leisurely pace taking over 3 hours with lots of stops just taking it all in. I have heard that expert skiers can do it well under the hour! - but they would most likely be locals and not holiday makers. A good guide will decide on best safe route within the capability of the least experienced skier. In my group there was a guy just 3 months post-op after having a hip replacement and he didn't hold us up, to illustrate the wanting to soak it all up approach, to the experience!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi all.

Rob. I've only paid €100 deposit on our main accommodation, and €160 for our Saturday night(I'm assuming they want the balance in cash when we're there)

If you're happy to get my lift pass, I'll do you a bank transfer for what it's cost in English if you like - might make it all simpler don't you think?

If we're all straight before we go, it will then be very easy to determine what we all need put in for accommodation. The apartment was €623, and the hotel was €160 making €783 total. That's €195.75 each, so that's what you guys would need to put in - I'd need put in €35.75. All nice and simple.

Sorry, can't advise on Monarch. I'm only taking cabin baggage.

So yes, book mine please. Seems like I should take the insurance, so include that as well. My age is 55. Once you know what you've been charged in English, I'll do you a transfer.

Yes, first day of skiing is Sunday the 6th, and last day Saturday the 12th.

Alp D'Huez helicopter sounds fun. It's not like you're there every day, so £50ish(10 pints of Peroni) for an amazing experience and photos, doesn't seem bad at all.

I'll decide on La Grave there. Sounds too amazing not to do though, if the weather permits.

You happy with that approach Rob?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great, let me have your account details & I shall send payment, suggest £200 for the lift pass + apartment deposit/payment, I thought I read that full payment will need paying prior to arrival. Perhaps do a rough estimate of expenses to cover it/majority, again we can address any shortfall in resort with a kitty or something.

My understanding is general holiday insurance does not cover evacuation off the hill [this is a local expense charged by the pisteurs], this is why you are always advised to carry a credit card, the pisteurs insist on payment - show them your card & that's accepted - see Pollyperks previous advice.

La Grave - haven't researched but I am pretty certain if you [Steve] want to do it, Phil would join you, like I said he is a very competent skier [he he maybe I am just volunteering him Evil or Very Mad

Agreed - to be discussed after we've seen each other ski, that could be an eye opener Shock

So - training it must be...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've looked back at booking info Michael, and can see no-where where it says there will be any further payment.

I can email them and ask if you like?

Just thought it would keep it simple, If we send Rob cash for Lift Pass.

If I do get charged, I can let you all know then if you like, and we can pay it before we go - if you'd prefer to sort before hand. I'm sure she won't refuse the cash(actually, maybe she would - maybe cash in hand preferable) Smile

I paid the deposit by Paypal, was much easier than bank transfer.

Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So many questions:

I am fine if you [Rob] want to purchase the lift pass, will also answer for Phil as he's not bothered to show up here [I sent him a text earlier!] please include the insurance as above.

Steve, fully agree that we reconcile payments [as much as possible] prior to departure, don't want to be fannying around when we should be ski-ing/drinking!

The heli would be a trip to remember & when put into perspective - it's just a few beers!

As Pollyperks advice, I agree that it would make perfect sense to decide when we are in resort, but it does sound very exciting Cool

Rob I am 55 & Phil has just turned 53

We have booked ski carriage which as I understand it, it covers your boot bag & ski bag [my son did a season last year & we paid for 2 ski carriages, got 1 refunded, can't remember airline] all our gear will go in the ski/boot bag + we carry on 10kg hand luggage - sorted.

Have I answered everything?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep.

Smile

Just looked back at Hotel for one night. I thought that was paid, but that says they will charge 30% within 14 days of arrival. I don't really know when they want further payment. I'm assuming there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry chaps, the lift passes require a specific date of birth, I am guessing for random checks. If you can let me know that (PM if you're shy! haha) and then I can buy them and sort it.

Steve, we'll have the additional cost of transfers, and work out parking or how we are getting to the airport. You can either pay for the lift pass and then I'll pay you for hotel and split of transfers etc, or we can sort it once we are there as there won't be too much difference money wise.

Heli trip sounds awesome...... I wish I had a GoPro now! Very Happy

Based on what PollyPerks said though, the guided run at La Grave does sound too good to be true also!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Rob.

My birthday is the day after we get back: 14/3/1960.

We can book our own transfers Rob, or if you like I can book yours? We have to leave L2A at 8:10am I think(2 hours after Michael & Phil). Suspect we'll all be feeling worse for wear - after celebrating a Triple Crown! Wink

Thinking about getting to airport, it doesn't really make sense to drag someone out of bed at 5am to take us, and pick us up midday Sunday - when we can park there.

I've looked at different options, but I recon the NCP website that offers car park 5 @ £32, and is 10 mins walk from terminal to be best. I could drop you, and our luggage off, and then get back.

I'll email the Chalet, and the Hotel - see if they will accept full payment, so it's all dealt with before we go.

I guess when we get there, you could go and organise all our lift passes - while I go get my skis & boots. Then we can go get a few provisions & beers before Michael & Phil arrive.

As far as Go Pro goes, I'll share any good footage, and probably put on YouTube too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This seems to be gaining a life of its own, couple of points without reading everything Happy

Lift pass discount at 65, photo id required. Having been involved in a few heli evacuations its far easier with their insurance, less hassle.

La Grave trips run by European Ski School, etc, not too expensive for half or full day. Can't do it alone, it can go horribly wrong.

If anyone wants lessons a few suggestions on the L2A thread in snow conditions, etc.

Have fun Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers Claude B.

Think we're all settled on taking the insurance. I'm definitely getting old though - 3 different insurance types this trips(including on skis and holiday insurance). Been a chancer in the past, and not bothered with any.

I guess Half day La Grave would be one trip to the top, and full day 2. Fingers crossed for weather for that.

Don't think anyone's thinking of ski school, but I'll see if I can find thread anyway.

You say have fun, as though you won't be seeing us. Hope that's not the case.

Smile

PS. Pollyperks said it would be easier to communicate if we used WhatsApp. I re-signed up yesterday. Couldn't be easier.

I think all our phone numbers are in PMs except Phils
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have emailed both our hotels, asking if I can make payment in full.

I'll let you know what they say.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personally I'd rather everything was booked, paid, and done and dusted where possible so that it's just a case of turning up and having a blast. Once the other 2 confirm their DOB I'll buy them and get them posted to me, that way the money can be sorted rather than having a load of cash in-resort laying around.

If you could sort the transfer to be the same as yours I'll be extremely greatful! Parking sounds good.

Whatsapp sounds good. I also agree, Pollyperks better be meeting up if only for a beer! Very Happy

La Grave info:
"Most of the classic routes we take during our trips are no steeper than any difficult red run, however the nature of the ungroomed terrain and the amount of vertical descent covered can prove a challenge for any good skier.
Our full day trips start and finish in Les Deux Alpes as we will cross over the glacier into La Grave on our skis/boards, however the half day trips involve our mini bus shuttle to and from La Grave to optimize precious skiing time.
•Full Day Trip: € 80,00
•Lift Pass extension if you hold a full six day Les Deux Alpes pass: € 22,00
•If required: ARVA/Shovel /Probe rental costs € 10,00 per person
•Half Day Trip: € 60,00

You must double check that your insurance policy covers you for OFF PISTE skiing!

Don’t forget to book onto our free ability assessment session held every monday between 4-5 pm! (We need at least four guests for trips to go ahead. In the event of bad weather forcing us to cancel the trip all payments will be refunded)"
snow conditions
@RobPowell,

That was Claude B, not Pollyperks Rob.

Wink

I'll book parking then, and both our transfers. I'll wait for a reply from Hotels, and it they will accept it - I'll pay in advance.
snow report
Embarassed Embarassed I blame a lack of sleep last night. Both of them then! Very Happy Very Happy

Sweet. Full steam ahead Smile
snow conditions
Rob, my DOB 27/03/60 & Philip Richardson 17/01/62
snow conditions
Here we go again...

1st thing is thanks for all advice & assistance, it is really useful.

Rob, DOB as above if you PM bank details then Phil & I can transfer payment, agree it's easier to do it from the UK, we have plenty of time.

Sent message via whatsapp to Steve, have texted Phil for him to sign up, another good idea [we could go pro after organising this trip snowHead ]

Looks like La Grave could be happening also, good point to check that our insurance will be valid off piste - think mine is subject to being led by a guide.

Hopefully we shall meet both, Claude & Pollyperks Razz
snow report
OK, latest update.

Booked Airport Car park Rob, and our Transfers.

Had a message back from our Sat to Sat accommodation - no problem to send them the balance by Paypal.

The other place however prefer a bank transfer. Pretty sure I can't do this online - I might try and telephone them, see if I can make a card payment.

Regards, Steve.”

We are pleased to let you know that the accommodation has confirmed they will be able to arrange this for you. There will be no extra charge for this request.

Accommodation’s comment:
“Hello Steve, Thank you for booking with us. The bank transfer would be the prefered method of payment. Our bank details are: IBAN: FR7610096182090007532120115 BIC: CMCIFRPP Vacatiorama SAS 1 Rue du Rouchas Les Deux Alpes 38860 Venosc Thank you”

This week is lining up to be amazing.

Smile
latest report
Paypal is easy, if they insist on a bank transfer I think this is something you'd have to do from your branch [& they'd make a charge of course Twisted Evil ]

As this is just for Saturday 12/03/16 can we not settle the bill in cash when we are there?

We need to come up with an original Tour Operators name Laughing
snow conditions
I'll give the name some thought.

Smile

Yeah, paypal would have been easy. I think I'll try calling them, and explain that bank transfer is tricky. See if they'll take a card payment, and if not we can pay there. Booking is confirmed anyway, so I don't think we'll have to sleep in the street.

Smile
ski holidays
Thanks for all your efforts Steve, appreciate the time you are spending on this trip, it will be worthwhile though I am sure of that - 4 guys intent on ski-ing along with some fine wine & great food - what else could we ask for? snowHead
ski holidays
2 fantastic Guides?

Wink

I don't mind organising things like this to be honest. I suppose It's easier to just book with Nielson or someone similar. Apart from being a hell of a lot cheaper this way, it's more fun too.

I've telephoned the Saturday night hotel, and it was no trouble at all to pay over the phone - so that's done. Lady spoke great English(as so many foreigners do). It was €211.32 with tax.

I'm just waiting confirmation of correct price from other place. I think it's €623 less €100 deposit + €28 City Tax(€1 per person per night).

That is the final thing to sort.

Smile

Edit: All done.
ski holidays
The skiing on the La Grave trips is pretty quick tbh. Probably worth finding out what sort of pace they're planning. Otherwise European Ski School charge 130 Euros for 2 hours for 4 people so wouldn't cost much more to organise your own.
snow report
Thanks Claude B

As long as weather is suitable - sounds like most, if not all of us are up for it.

Smile
ski holidays
SteveBrown wrote:
Thanks Claude B

As long as weather is suitable - sounds like most, if not all of us are up for it.

Smile

Yes I think it's a done deal really - all over apart from booking it Cool
snow conditions
thought we had the guides sorted as well snowHead

Steve I assume you will nw work out the total cost & let us know what we owe so can all square up with you.

Claude B i like the idea of employing the ESS @ 130 Euros [yeah I couldn't be bothered looking up the Euro symbol either!].
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2 hours probably wouldn't be long enough, 4 better but still OK between 4 of you. Alex Chapman (she), Ian Huyton and another Alex (he) are their English instructors. Others are Italian but all speak good English.
ski holidays
Yes, soon as I can - I'll let you know.

I've just checked. On Paypal it only shows the Euro amount, and it says 'pending'. Pending says waiting for funds to be transferred from Bank.

I paid the other place on Debit Card. She said it had gone through, but it's not left my account yet.

Will be in the region of £185 each I think. Can't grumble.

Smile
ski holidays
Lift passes - done.

"Your payment has been registered.

We confirm your order.

You will soon receive an email confirming your order N° 16427112.
Your payment reference is 613903 "

This holiday tastes even sweeter through the blood sweat and tears. Sure you can pay more and get a company to do it all, but this is OUR holiday!!
snow report
Nice one Rob.

If you let us know what it converts to in £s, I'll do some Advanced Arithmetic, and work out who owes who what.

Yep - our holiday. Be like we're eating out for free.

Smile

If you've got a little space in your luggage when you get to mine, I'll take a couple of packs of my favourite coffee for us all.
latest report
Millicano by any chance?
ski holidays
Got text from Phil earlier today & he said he will review all the above, he hasn't got a smartphone [I know, it's a work mobile, don't think they are allowed them - security issue].
snow report
Taylors or Harrogate - Rich Italian.

Day doesn't start until I've had a Cafetiere full.

Smile
snow conditions
Sounds like quality product...
ski holidays
Hopefully you'll get to try some.

Smile
snow report
There'll definitely be room one way or another. Sure it's not my favourite hazelnut coffee that I used to get from Greece, but Taylors is a most awesome start to the day.

I have some spare Twinings coffee if you want to give that a bash! Ooooo if you guys prefer tea, what blend do you prefer? I may know someone who works in a tea factory Neh Neh
ski holidays
Michael, I have a spare smartphone he can have if he wants to upgrade his personal phone. I seem to have a mission to upgrade people away from non-smartphones Laughing
snow report
Cheers Rob, hopefully he will make an appearance here this evening.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy