Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiWelt Snow Report 2016

Poster: A snowHead
There is also an argument for staying on the north side of the Ski Welt as the runs home are better late in the season (the run to Brixen is south facing and closes before the others). Ski Welt in March is usually ok (even last year when we had poor snow there was good skiing past mid-March).

The skiing in Westendorf is more demanding than the main part of the Ski Welt. If you prefer cruisy intermediate runs the main part of the Ski Welt is better, if you like your slopes a bit steeper go for Westendorf.

If the Fleck is closed due to high winds, the Maierlbahn is as close to Kirchberg so there's no need to bus to the Hahnenkamm.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I wouldn't choose either in March to be honest I'd go elsewhere but kitenski is stuck with Munich airport by the sounds of it .

If the snow is really bad at the end of Feb and/or a warm spell forecast I'll just drive to Ischgl I reckon!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnbarr, I'm liking the idea of staying on the North side, any recommendations? Demanding skiing is fine Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
@johnbarr, I'm liking the idea of staying on the North side, any recommendations? Demanding skiing is fine Smile

If you can find a hotel or B&B on the south side of Ellmau (less than 10 minutes walk to the centre), that would either be on the piste or a very short walk to the piste. Scheffau and Soll are also good options, but you need to take the bus to the slopes, while Going and Hopfgarten are less central.

Will you have a car? If so then St Johann is a good place to stay - a short drive from Ellmau, Kitzbuhel and Fieberbunn (which is now linked to Saalbach/Hinterglemm).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mayrhofen from Munich?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@buchanan101, I was thinking that earlier on
Or Zell am Ziller
Better still-Kaltenbach and Hoch Fugen etc
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

if they shut the Fleckalmbahn in winds for example then that means a bus round to Hahnenkamm

We stayed in kirchberg early Jan 2007 with little snow. If the Fleckalmbahn is shut there's the Maierlbahn and Ochsalm chair to roughly the same point or a bus to Pengelstein (Skirast), the Ki West (AllStar/Tirol Snow cards required) or round to Kitz. We quite liked Kirchberg smaller and more villagey than Kitz.

EDIT: Redundant post. JohnBarr beat me to it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, I would go for Westendorf, the Westendorf runs are mostly N facing and hold up well and you have much better access to Kitz via the KiWest link or skibus. Brixen or Kirchberg are also very central but less "villagey" if that is a word, and the S facing Brixen runs from Skiwelt disappear quite easily.

Westendorf also has the easiest access to the slopes from the main hotel area, via the nursery slope lift and a ski track to the gondola, no skibus needed. This is almost always open until the end of March (we saw it closed once in the last week of the season).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Or Zell am Ziller

Interesting, cheers!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HutToHut wrote:
Quote:

if they shut the Fleckalmbahn in winds for example then that means a bus round to Hahnenkamm

We stayed in kirchberg early Jan 2007 with little snow. If the Fleckalmbahn is shut there's the Maierlbahn and Ochsalm chair to roughly the same point or a bus to Pengelstein (Skirast), the Ki West (AllStar/Tirol Snow cards required) or round to Kitz. We quite liked Kirchberg smaller and more villagey than Kitz.

EDIT: Redundant post. JohnBarr beat me to it.

Looks like they have been misinformed then as plenty of options there
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Or Zell am Ziller

Interesting, cheers!

Yes worth a look at Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach. I don't like Mayrhofen when those other two places are only a short train ride away.
More demanding skiing in Hoch Zillertal and Hoch Fugen IMO than Zell although I've had some fun days there too
Snow was good in both places when I went 24th Mar one year so quite late on and the week before Christmas 2 years running
Like others have said Westendorf is best bet otherwise if you are set on Ski Welt as I didn't know that about the South facing run home in Brixen
Come to think of it, piste 1b which takes you back to Brixen was a bit soft yesterday late on so in March it is probably slush fest or bare I'd imagine
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Current ski conditions in Ski Welt anyone?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maersk wrote:

Fantastic!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great! Smile Heading out to Scheffau tomorrow for a week. Looking forward to some piste cruising if nothing else!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Söll for me tomorrow. Piste cruising for me just love the area 5th time for me....
snow conditions
Can you guys/guyesses give a snow report please
snow conditions
Maersk wrote:
Can you guys/guyesses give a snow report please

Snow in Waidring yesterday was the best I've skied on all season. Shame there were so many people on the slopes.
ski holidays
Is Waidring part of SkiWelt?
ski holidays
No, its just up the road - same area but not linked.
ski holidays
Got up from Scheffau just after 1pm today. Took the 188 FIS 30m radius GS boards out, as I was by myself, to have a bit of blast. Great fun, but if knew I was going to ski as many slushy moguls I would have chosen a different ski.

Skied over to Hopftgarten first and was a slush fest all the way down from just above the mid station. I love their sign on Run 20 - The best run in the Ski Welt - nothing like an Emperors New Clothes complex! Smile

Skiing above middle stations on most areas was pretty good, but any home run was a mixture of of slushy moguls and some scraped off icy areas.
The top runs above Soll to the mid station were my personal favourite as there were a few bumps at the top and then fairly good piste conditions down to the mid station to put a few longer turns in.

Great fun but felt very much like spring skiing.l

Think you will need to time your skiing of certain runs to make the best of them, but if the temperature remains warm, then be prepared to ski slushy bumps on your home run no matter where you are staying.
snow report
Sh 1 t.

Any cold and snow in the weather?
snow report
Forecast for the next week is a bit colder.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Johann-in-Tirol/6day/mid
https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/St_Johann_in_Tirol_snow.html

Be on the first lift - make the most of the good snow.
snow report
Then it gets warmer next weekend....
snow report
Just back from Westendorf. Got lucky with weather having 3 days of coldish sunshine following a top up of snow. Best runs for me were the Ki-West side and over in Kitzbuhel. Runs above Brixen and Ellmau seemed busier and softer. Red 110 down towards the village was a challenge at the end of a 50km day. Recommend deck chairs, sheep skins and glunwein in the Sonnalm whilst watching the action unfold. Carnage ! It's a good lunch spot too.
snow report
Come on Retrobod you have beeen there two days! Report please!

Blastfrom the past, how long does it take to get to Kitz from Westendorf and how long from Westendorf to say, Soll?
snow report
Maersk wrote:
Come on Retrobod you have beeen there two days! Report please!

Blastfrom the past, how long does it take to get to Kitz from Westendorf and how long from Westendorf to say, Soll?

Last week I skied from Kitz to Westendorf and on round the Ski Welt. Bottom of the Hahenkamm to bottom of the Choralmbahn (via Kirchberg) was 2:30 hours. From there to Soll (via Hopfgarten and Itter) was another 2:30 hours - you could do it direct in around half that.
latest report
@johnbarr, thanks
ski holidays
Maersk wrote:
pea souper today but snow mid station and above in great nick fresh snow this morning
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RetroBod wrote:
Maersk wrote:
pea souper today but snow mid station and above in great nick fresh snow this morning

yes have been looking at webcams

Snow for 10 days then sunshine for 7 is my forecast....
snow report
Current report anyone? 13 days and counting.......
latest report
snow report
Why's it done that then?
Makes me look desperate (which I am....)
snow conditions
I'm in Hollersbach / the far end of Kitzbuhel, sort of in the same area... sort of... anyway. Very warm today and pistes soft and quite sticky all the way to the top. Coverage was pretty good on piste though with only a few dark patches on a couple of ridges. We had snow last night for a few hours but I think it turned to rain at some point as it all looked quite damp this morning, about 5cm sitting on the car though.
snow conditions
Thanks
snow report
Maersk wrote:

Can give you live reports Saturday onwards...

Some snow this week and a bit cooler again I hope.
latest report
@Maersk, we got the 1000 bus from bottom of KiWest to Pengelstein having set off from Westendorf about 0900. It's a nice ski from the top of the Westendorf gondala. Buses every 10 mins. I guess it's about the same time to get to Soll
ski holidays
thanks for all the replies earlier, think I'm going to stay in Kitzbuhel, nice village for a quiet Fri/Sat night out and found a reasonable hotel within walking distance of the Hahnenkamm...
snow conditions
Slush-tastic today in Hollersbach. Just did a half day, out early to catch the softening pistes. Pretty nice really, but starting to get a bit heavier on the south facing slopes. We were skiing at Zillertal arena last week, sort of miss the extra 400-500m of height it has - we were mostly skiing from about 2300m to 1700m there instead of 1900m to 1200m (?) here. Although obviously the weather is massively different too!
snow report
Well, after years of bias against Austria and its low resorts, I gave in and it would appear I am about to get bitten in the bum. Should have held out for France......
Still a great time will be had I am sure. I now have to question ski choice. Back to old stiff ice grippers for the morning and flexy slush floaters for the afternoon......
or
stiff skis and a lot of beer or flexy and a lot of sleep............. Sad Sad Sad Sad
Looks like its all gone wrong this year. Still it could be worse, we could be hiking..... rolling eyes

Someone tell me it will be allright on the night....
latest report
It's warm everywhere isn't it? Constant moaning on weather thread about rain in France.

It's cooling down after today; panic not, yet.

Forecast shows a reasonable amount of snow and back down to seasonal average temps from 24th http://www.ski-finder.co.uk/images/gfs/MS_1347_ens_22Feb2016_1300.gif

And, come on, you are going in March; it's not called Spring Skiing for nothing.

And don't forget, Austria and Italy are better at making snow!

I'm off to Kitz on Saturday and I am not at all concerned. Just don't plan on skiing low, late on in the day!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy