Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiWelt Snow Report 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Very snowy in Kitzbuhel today
Right down to resort level too
Snowy cars driving about on slushy roads
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
don't want to be a killjoy, but it's forecast to be warming up this eve...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@buchanan101, yes it is forecast to be warmer tomorrow
It will be interesting to see what effect it has on today's snow. There seemed to be a heck of a lot more than the few cm forecast even by lunchtime today.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was about 15cm of new snow higher up in the Ski Welt today, less than half of that in the valley where the snow was wet. Some of the snow cannons were working in the morning, augmenting the real stuff. It's still snowing in St Johann, where it was raining this morning, so it should be even better now up top.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@buchanan101, yes it is forecast to be warmer tomorrow
It will be interesting to see what effect it has on today's snow. There seemed to be a heck of a lot more than the few cm forecast even by lunchtime today.

Yes it seems to have stayed cooler for longer than the forecast said. The valleys might have been looking a bit green tomorrow if that had been right!

I like Bergfex for forecasts...
http://www.bergfex.com/stjohann-tirol/wetter/prognose/#5
Lots of webcams too!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's now raining quite hard in St Johann. Hopefully this will be snow up the mountain.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnbarr wrote:
HutToHut wrote:
@johnbarr, so my pub idea of Going > Brixen > Westendorf > Pengelstein > Pass Thurm and back in a day looks like a non-starter then?

I skied from the Fleckalmbahn to the far end at Resterhohe (above Pass Thurn) today. It took 2 hours 15 minutes to get there. The route you proposed would replace the first three lifts and two pistes with Pengelstein I & II, so I guess that would save 15 minutes. As it was Saturday and the skies were blue there were a few lift queues along the way - so I reckon that 2 hours one way for that section is realistic. I'll try to do the other section of your route sometime soon.

I skied from Ellmau to the start of Ki West today - it took 1 hour 20 minutes in difficult conditions.

The route your suggested (but starting in Ellmau) could take 1 hour 20 + 15 for the bus between Ki West and Ski rast + 2 hours - all times two, that's just over 7 hours. If you have a small group that doesn't waste time I guess it would be possible, but it is also easy to waste over an hour by losing a few minutes per lift. Having got 5 old farts round the 10 Resort Challenge this week I reckon this is a goer with proper organisation. Let me know when you plan to do it - I'll join you if I can.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnbarr, Thanks for your efforts. It looks tight but, OK if everything goes to plan. The route from Going to Westendorf would need some planning as it's our least skied area and still find the piste map a tad confusing. We'll certainly let you know if and when we do it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went over to Ski Welt from Kitzbuhel today.
Snow was in good condition all over the only parts where it was a bit sketchy and thin was in Going/Elmau
Brixen, Westendorf and Scheffau were superb. Lovely to ski in the trees all day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HutToHut wrote:
@johnbarr, Thanks for your efforts. It looks tight but, OK if everything goes to plan. The route from Going to Westendorf would need some planning as it's our least skied area and still find the piste map a tad confusing. We'll certainly let you know if and when we do it.

I just followed the signs today but had to look at the map when I ended up on the same lift a couple of times. It's not the worst I've ever encountered but I can see how people end up in the wrong place the first time you go there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got some flights booked into Munich on Thurs 3rd March for a weekend ski trip.

I've never skied this area, I'm thinking of staying in Soll which seems closish to Munich and the chance of night skiing for a new experience.

Is Soll a good place to explore the area? We are both good skiers, would like to be close to the lifts for early starts!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 5-02-16 11:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
I've got some flights booked into Munich on Thurs 3rd March for a weekend ski trip.

I've never skied this area, I'm thinking of staying in Soll which seems closish to Munich and the chance of night skiing for a new experience.

Is Soll a good place to explore the area?

I'd probably go for Saalbach instead of Soll. Higher and larger area (though more is south facing), and better access to slopes than Soll. Different ski area of course but not much difference in distance from airports. Also night skiing at Hinterglemm.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@buchanan101, google maps shows 2hr 43mins to Saalbach and 1hr 35mins to Soll!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:

Saalbach is much easier to reach from Salzburg airport, but if you already have flights to Munich Soll is good. Ellmau is another 15 minutes up the road and (at the top of the village) has easier access to the slopes - but most resorts on the Ski Welt have a walk, bus or taxi to the slopes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, having skied over there yesterday I would stay at Brixen given the choice as you can access one side of the Ski Welt and then Westendorf the other
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, thanks. How is the snow? I keep looking at the snow depths over at the Arlberg and wondering whether I should just go there !!
snow report
kitenski wrote:

ah ok... just being next door is a little different when it comes to the mountain - access to the Saalbach valley is a long way round from Soll/Munich.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, thanks. How is the snow? I keep looking at the snow depths over at the Arlberg and wondering whether I should just go there !!

Arlberg always has more snow! On the other hand Soll/Saalbach/Kitz are pretty good at managing what they get and make the stuff. SkiWelt is mostly north facing.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

At distance to Kitz/Kirchberg? Between the two numbers above
ski holidays
@buchanan101, Kirchberg is 1hr 51 mins, better skiing than SkiWelt do you think?
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, forgetting the map for a bit and following the signs works OK, piste 97 goes to lift no. 97 etc. It's the only area I've come across in Austria that does it this way and that gets a little bit broken in Westendorf. There were also some old signs about with differing info to the map. The biggest issue is showing the whole area on one map which means helpful details gained from the (potentially different) aspect of the map is lost. Hartkaiser to Eiberg is unclear despite a forest of direction arrows. Not a big problem it could just be better, Schladming has one map with all four Bergs on and three separate ones showing one or two mountains each.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@buchanan101, Kirchberg is 1hr 51 mins, better skiing than SkiWelt do you think?

A bit higher (2000m v 1730m) ; similar orientation (mostly NW/NE slopes). And easier access to the slopes. SkiWelt probably a little easier overall than Kitz/Kirchberg and a bit better linked as one than the Kitzbuhel ski area which is a bit strung out.

Others may give better advice as my Ski Welt trip was ages ago, back in the days when there wasn't snow making so the runs to the Brixen were grass! I did stay in both Ellmau and Soll and slope access better in Ellmau (back when they had the funicular) - now a gondola. But Ellmau top is quite low still (1550m) and quite a trek to the higher runs at Soll. Didn't like the slope access at Soll...
snow conditions
Yesterday I noticed the snow was best by far in Brixen Westendorf and Scheffau. Westendorf was superb.

@HutToHut, yes I agree that bit is easy with the lift numbers and the pistes
I think I was thinking of the area you mentioned as being difficult as it is crammed on the map and not all the lines have direction arrows on them either.
latest report
@kitenski, the snow is good at the moment thanks to the last 2 days of snowfalls
That said who knows what it will be like in March! All depends on how cold and snowy Feb is

If I was you I'd go to Ischgl in March instead. Plenty of places with short term accommodation, superb lift system and easy to get around. There will be plenty open in March
I'm going to Obergurgl myself.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@kitenski, the snow is good at the moment thanks to the last 2 days of snowfalls
That said who knows what it will be like in March! All depends on how cold and snowy Feb is

If I was you I'd go to Ischgl in March instead. Plenty of places with short term accommodation, superb lift system and easy to get around. There will be plenty open in March

When are you off to Obergurgl? Going there 11th March to meet up with a huge lot of SkiClub people.

Off to Kitz first with other half and her family - 3 weeks Smile
snow report
13th to 24th March
What Ski Club people? A holiday or a group?
snow conditions
Skiclub of GB. Bunch of oldies... Smile
ski holidays
I know you meant the Ski Club of GB
But are you meeting people on a Freshtracks holiday or something?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No, independent travellers. Met them last year for the first time; they arrange to go about the same time each year. Their favourite SkiClub guide will be there.
snow report
..not that you really need a guide at Obergurgl; hardly big!
snow conditions
Ah I see. Who is their favourite ski club guide?

No it's not very big
I'm going so I can go there, Solden and maybe do a little ski your from Vent
snow report
Reg.

Didn't like the look of Solden village when I drove through last year; the ski pass isn't great - €10 extra for just one day. May try it this year
snow conditions
Never been to either
Snow should be good though they've got loads already
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Think it's a bit far for a weekend, especially on the Sunday I will have to drive my wife back to Munich then I have to go onto a meeting another hour or so's drive...

but I'll give it a few weeks and see what the snow is like!
ski holidays
@kitenski, Westendorf is the pick of the Ski Welt resorts IMV
snow report
@red 27, I agree
ski holidays
@red 27, @VolklAttivaS5, thanks, may I ask why?
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@red 27, I agree
yes that makes sense.

Question then is; is SkiWelt from Westendorf or Kitzski area from Kirchberg the better choice, (though you can of course ski both areas from either...)?
ski holidays
@kitenski, +1 to @VolklAttivaS5's suggestion of somewhere in the Brixen side. It is also easier and quicker to leave from that side as you don't have to crawl down the B173 road to Kufstein along with all the others (especially true on Saturdays and Sundays when the weekenders and day trippers go home). If you want a work around to avoid the border control at Kufstein PM me and I'll send you my local ones. I am often in Kufstein as my place is equidistant from Rosenheim and Kufstein - when the shops are shut in one, they are quite often open in the other! wink
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@red 27, I agree
yes that makes sense.

Question then is; is SkiWelt from Westendorf or Kitzski area from Kirchberg the better choice, (though you can of course ski both areas from either...)?

Difficult one.
I'd stay in Brixen though not Westendorf. And would ski Westendorf mostly
I wouldn't choose either in March to be honest I'd go elsewhere but kitenski is stuck with Munich airport by the sounds of it
I chatted to someone this week who said that with staying in Kirchberg if they shut the Fleckalmbahn in winds for example then that means a bus round to Hahnenkamm
So they didn't seem to rate staying in Kirchberg.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy