Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

School Kids caught in avalanche on closed piste

Poster: A snowHead
sparklies wrote:
We were in Tignes last week and some teenage borders in the chalet were talking about how they were planning on going off-piste and down closed runs and couldn't see the problem. I showed them the various posts on here about what happened and they looked suitably sobered. I think they had it in their minds that you only get caught in an avalanche if you're miles from anywhere.

Well done sparklies on educating them. Cool You may just have saved them from injury or worse...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's Wednesday afternoon- loads of PE and other teachers take the kids skiing. They're not qualified.

I am so angry. From the reports they were on a closed piste at Avalanche risk 4. You don't do that.

You don't take children in your care anywhere near it.

Even if they didn't trigger it and the Ukranian guy did, they shouldn't have been on that slope. This was all avoidable. It didn't have to happen.

Those children won't ever be going home because some absolute idiot thought they knew better.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bellecombe is a difficult black at the best of times. Many I times I have been in the chair lift that goes over it and seen skiers and boarders struggle. The closed pistes in LDA are very obvious but people seem to know better. I saw many people last year go down Diable when it was shut, later that week a man died doing just that. He lost control and hit some rocks at the bottom. Terrible tragedy and my thought area with everyone.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
......I'm sure some of the "powder fever" that I saw all afternoon in Les Arcs was replicated across other resorts....

Trouble is it's so easy to get caught up in the "fever" and I'm sure many of us have been guilty of that when maybe we were less aware of the dangers, or were young and invincible.

If one particular chair had been open today, and not closed due to technical issues, there would have been powder hounds a plenty, many with no idea or gear, or all the gear and no idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are immediate decisions with a view to closing lifts that enable people to venture into dangerous terrain, but where do you draw the line?

Yes, it's difficult to find the right balance. Getting trained, a little, in off-piste management reminded me how dumb I'd been before I knew anything. Now I'm mostly aware of how little I know, so my margins of safety are significantly larger the the used to be. But there is always pressure to ski a line while it's fresh, so trying to avoid the temptation is key. I was on a line this afternoon that began to worry me, so I traversed out to shallower terrain. Ten minutes later there are three guys skiing it, possibly following the tracks I left to the top the pitch. What can you do...?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Super sad news. My thoughts to all involved and the families.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shefmarkh wrote:
One thing I noticed is they don't always put the large piste ferme notice up. Just some yellow and black piste poles. Maybe people don't know what those mean. One blue run that looked closed just had blue piste markers across its entrance. We decided being unsure not to risk it. I can imagine others just assume it's fine though.

I ended up accidentally on a closed piste over Christmas because it wasn't clear at all. I followed some people down but it became clear halfway that there was poor snow cover so I ended up on rocks and grass. Caught a lift back to the top of the run and saw that there was a small sign saying closed, but it wasn't obvious as you approached the piste as you got off the lift.

Easy to speculate on whether they were hunting powder or just plain lost, but as others have said it doesn't change the outcome Sad A tragic reminder to take care on the mountain.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Horrible news. Thoughts to all concerned. Should wait til all facts come out before the blame game starts.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@shoogly, +1
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's a picture of the full avalanche track on this news site further down the page : https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/faits-divers-justice/une-avalanche-aurait-enseveli-trois-personnes-aux-deux-alpes-1452700261
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Walls of that piste avalanche all the time. Probably the steepest piste on the mountain (used to be called le Grand Couloir)...When they close that run the fencing goes right across the entrance.

Posted on facebook by someone who lives in the resort and knows it like the back of her hand.
Confused Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been taken down runs closed due to avalanche risk on several occasions by a guide. Each time we've been shown where the avalanche danger lies, where safe passage can be found, or, sometimes, an off-piste route that avoids the danger.

Every time, we've seen other skiers follow in our tracks. They've have no guide, no gear, no idea. They hurtle straight through he avalanche risk, mindless of the danger they place themselves in.

I wonder if something similar happened here. First tracks get laid by someone who understands the risks. Others follow naively, then...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is so sad... and so many getting swept away as well...

very sobering indeed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
Quote:
Walls of that piste avalanche all the time. Probably the steepest piste on the mountain (used to be called le Grand Couloir)...When they close that run the fencing goes right across the entrance.

Posted on facebook by someone who lives in the resort and knows it like the back of her hand.
Confused Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The article i linked to suggests that the group of school students were all good skiers and that it was an active decision to descend the closed piste. No idea how they could possibly establish that so may well be nonsense.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjb wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Skiing on a closed piste at Avy 4 Shocked

+1 Shocking!

I'm out in Val Thorens at the minute and the 3V links have been closed for 3 days now, warnings everywhere at base of lifts and arrival stations

I've still seen plenty of people ignoring warnings, and I don't mean just dropping off the side of a piste either

The world is off piste and on closed pistes in Val T currently, hundreds if not thousands of people... They won't open anything high or any links because they can't trust people not to go off. We struggled on a drag which they had to open (because of an error on the VT Les Menures link) half of it was pisted, the other bit on a very steep pitch had knee high powder..... 5 people at least came off and had to track down a steep pitch with 1m+ of fresh snow purely beacuse the down link was opened incorrectly and they couldn't open anything high apart from a half arsed effort to get a low drag open.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 13-01-16 20:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It's probably a fairly dumb question but what's the risk when skiing on an open piste? I've always assumed on piste = safe and closed is for a reason.

Love to those who are affected by this tragedy.
latest report
@andybomb1, depends who / what is above you, a slide hit a piste in Soelden last Jan. 2 in the slide died, no one hit on piste bug it crossed it (just)
ski holidays
I was in Deux Alpes today.

Having dumped it down for the last 48hrs the sun came out and there were fresh lines to be had everywhere. Conditions were perfect.

I went up the Bellecombe chair a couple of times throughout the day and despite being closed was well skied.

From the location of the Avalanche debris I can't understand how or why you would end up there if you weren't skiing the closed run.

Looking at photos it appears the slide was quite long which terminated off the run itself.

Truly horrible and is a hard wake up call to heed ski patrol advice (high Avalanche risk, closed run, etc.) despite locality to lifts and how good it looks.
latest report
So on piste is safe on piste 99.9% of the time but we know it's a mountain and bad things happen?
ski holidays
Skiing itself is an inherently risky activity but you'd be unlikely to get avalanched on an open piste because part of securing the pistes is considering where a slide would go, releasing it if possible or closing the piste if not. You'd have to be exceptionally unlucky.
latest report
cammyammy wrote:
Truly horrible and is a hard wake up call to heed ski patrol advice (high Avalanche risk, closed run, etc.) despite locality to lifts and how good it looks.

Or if there are already tracks on it.

As I'm very much at the beginner end of the skiing (not ventured any more than 50 feet off the side of a piste) it's a bit of a warning. However I can fully understand why people go around the 'closed' sign to find fresh powder. I hope that when I'm good enough to ski that kind of thing that I remember incidents like this and don't just charge down the slope.
latest report
Terrible news . . .

@cammyammy, looking at the piste map that black exits onto a green run . . .did the slide make it that far . . ?
snow report
From what you can see on the photos the slide does not go onto or near the runs that go along the valley, it released from the side of the face above the Bellecombes black run ( which is in a gully/couloir) and cut across it.
ski holidays
BBC news reporting all members of the group have now been accounted for. If correct then a small relief that the toll was not higher, and fingers crossed that the injured make a full recovery.
snow report
belette wrote:
Skiing itself is an inherently risky activity but you'd be unlikely to get avalanched on an open piste because part of securing the pistes is considering where a slide would go, releasing it if possible or closing the piste if not. You'd have to be exceptionally unlucky.
I agree that you would have to be exceptionally unlucky, but unfortunately it does happen, albeit very, very occasionally.

There was an on-piste avalanche fatality in Les Arcs a couple of years ago, I know that it has also happened in Val Thorens, and possibly in Solden. Today there are reports of 3 people skiing on piste in Avdriaz who were caught, fortunately no injuries.

But having said that, there are significantly greater dangers on piste from other things (crashing in to people in your group, strangers crashing in to you, skiing drunk and being stupid, innocuous falls, etc, etc).
snow conditions
Very sad news indeed. Crying or Very sad
latest report
Thank you Rob & Belette
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:
I've been taken down runs closed due to avalanche risk on several occasions by a guide. Each time we've been shown where ... safe passage can be found... Others follow naively, then...
I realise this isn't directly relevant to this incident, and that your text needs to be read in context. But I'd say that's very unprofessional in a guide:
- they should teach their clients to respect the rules
- they could easily kick something down onto less "experienced" people who are in the wrong place
- they are encouraging those other people to follow them

--
On this one, well I guess I'm not "devastated" that breaking safety rules has consequences.

5 people will have also died on the UK roads today, but that won't stop many people breaking the speed limits.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How awful Sad

I don't know enough about avi conditions personally (which is why I only ski off piste with an expert and actually as a result haven't taken the time to educate myself… that's going to change and fast) so don't feel in a position to judge until more information becomes clear.

Nadenoodlee wrote:
It's Wednesday afternoon- loads of PE and other teachers take the kids skiing. They're not qualified.

I guess you're in a much, much bigger area than us and so things will be different - here, Wednesday afternoon PE lesson is always with a local qualified person. Always. The non qualified teachers ski with kids but the terrain and activity is always set by someone qualified.
latest report
We hear about the avalanches that take people's lives throughout the season. For some reason I feel this incident may be different and may change things, be it the culture or in laws .
I'm unsure why. Maybe it's because it's not so much off piste as a closed piste - or because it was children being led by another person.

A terribly sad day. We shouldn't be carrying children off mountains. We have to learn.
snow report
philwig wrote:
Jonny Jones wrote:
I've been taken down runs closed due to avalanche risk on several occasions by a guide. Each time we've been shown where ... safe passage can be found... Others follow naively, then...
I realise this isn't directly relevant to this incident, and that your text needs to be read in context. But I'd say that's very unprofessional in a guide:

That was my thinking as well when i read it.

philwig wrote:

On this one, well I guess I'm not "devastated" that breaking safety rules has consequences.

I'm not sure what you mean by this though. No-one deserves to die, particularly children. I assume I'm taking you up worng.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 13-01-16 22:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
miranda wrote:
How awful Sad

I don't know enough about avi conditions personally (which is why I only ski off piste with an expert and actually as a result haven't taken the time to educate myself… that's going to change and fast) so don't feel in a position to judge until more information becomes clear.

Nadenoodlee wrote:

I guess you're in a much, much bigger area than us and so things will be different - here, Wednesday afternoon PE lesson is always with a local qualified person. Always. The non qualified teachers ski with kids but the terrain and activity is always set by someone qualified.

Around here teachers do the FFS formation (which I believe is a one week course for the first level). This allows them to lead a class of children, but is totally limited to on-piste activities. One other point worth making is that lots of people skied that piste today. Back in the day when I was still climbing, there was a reason for an 'alpine start'. Risk is minimised in the morning when everything is frozen solid. To be on a slope like that in the late afternoon...
ski holidays
I'm going to stop you there

philwig wrote:

5 people will have also died on the UK roads today, but that won't stop many people breaking the speed limits.

Because exceeding a limit is not the root cause of most road accidents, only about 5% of road accidents are, inattention is the biggest factor by a factor of about 10.

Still this was an obvious risk which they took, many of us do & have done I'm sure in the past & many will do in the future.

However a very avi high risk was clearly advised, I don't think the pistuers will be to blame by any means.
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
We hear about the avalanches that take people's lives throughout the season. For some reason I feel this incident may be different and may change things, be it the culture or in laws .
I'm unsure why. Maybe it's because it's not so much off piste as a closed piste - or because it was children being led by another person.

A terribly sad day. We shouldn't be carrying children off mountains. We have to learn.

Reminds me of the Cairngorm disaster in 1971. That had a big effect on outdoor pursuits in the UK.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
belette wrote:
I agree that you would have to be exceptionally unlucky, but unfortunately it does happen, albeit very, very occasionally.

There was an on-piste avalanche fatality in Les Arcs a couple of years ago, I know that it has also happened in Val Thorens, and possibly in Solden. Today there are reports of 3 people skiing on piste in Avdriaz who were caught, fortunately no injuries.

But having said that, there are significantly greater dangers on piste from other things (crashing in to people in your group, strangers crashing in to you, skiing drunk and being stupid, innocuous falls, etc, etc).

I think there was a fatality on piste in Ischgl over last few years also? I think the point is you rely on the pisteurs to manage the ski area so its safe and hopefully (and obviously in the vast majority of cases) they do their job very well. Must be big pressure on resorts to open lifts and runs, particularly when there might be refunds if they don't. Always respect when they make a very unpopular decision.
snow report
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:

I guess you're in a much, much bigger area than us and so things will be different - here, Wednesday afternoon PE lesson is always with a local qualified person. Always. The non qualified teachers ski with kids but the terrain and activity is always set by someone qualified.[/quote]

Around here teachers do the FFS formation (which I believe is a one week course for the first level). This allows them to lead a class of children, but is totally limited to on-piste activities...[/quote]

I am so surprised at this, it seems at such odds to the whole battle against ski hosting and the need to pass the ET etc.

If any group of skiers should ski with a properly qualified instructor, surely it should be children!

Such a very sad day.
snow conditions
Simply terrible. Latest French reports suggesting 3 dead, the piste was closed but plenty of tracks from previous users today. Health and safety obsessed Britain much maligned, often quite rightly, but French school teachers have very different duty of care and approach to the British. Thoughts and prayers with the families.
latest report
@Belch, that's such a sad photo. Body recovery going on in to the night Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
JamesHJ wrote:

Around here teachers do the FFS formation (which I believe is a one week course for the first level). This allows them to lead a class of children, but is totally limited to on-piste activities.

Where is "around here" James?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy