Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2006/07 skis...

Poster: A snowHead
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Forgive me, I have little time to get my teeth into this, but from my limited perspective, I'd say that for the majority of skiers the equipment is better than their skills and that a skilled skier will be able to overcome a ski's limitation and still enjoy the piste (competition excluded). So a lot of the argument is moot.

The concept of 'high-end/expert' defines that they are able to take any equipment and use it to its best. There is enormous ambiguity in both the equipment and the delineation of the user.

This is posted by someone who is described as a danger on the piste so you have to take that into account.
A lot of what I'm seeing in this thread is 'bog wall marking' to no-one's benefit.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Masque, i must be a little tired, think we are agreeing here but can't be sure.

Imagine you had never skied, put you on a world-cup ski until you can ski. I don't think it would slow down your progress, until someone came over to say hey those aren't the right skis for you, then you start to attribute your learning curve to your equipment. I prefer to sell skis as if this were the case. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Imagine you had never skied, put you on a world-cup ski until you can ski. I don't think it would slow down your progress.

That's an interesting theory.
So, you are saying that someone could learn as quickly on WC skis as they could on something softer and more forgiving?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thats fairly Philisophical, but for me, yes. I'm suggesting all other skis other than W/C skis don't exsist to test this point correctly. If there was just one type of ski for everyone. This is how i learned to ski and without sounding bigheaded, it didn't take me long to learn.
I'm suggesting that if people weren't aware of softer skis, they may just get on and learn. As we have nothing but our own perspective how are we to say if it is the ski holding up our progression, or just our minds? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But since other skis do exist, do you believe that a skier only allowed to ski on WC skis would get to a reasonably advanced level of skiing as quickly as someone who could use softer and shorter skis to star off with, and change up skis as their ability improved?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As myself as an example, i could say yes, however speed was/is my motive for skiing. As a rule sure, shorter lighter and softer skis will punish less, your mistakes, however i like to be punished, i learn more quickly. I can only give you my opinion, to many i'm sure, a blinkered one. I have put newbee skiers, this year, on Dynastar Ski-x 11's with no adverse problems and in some cases improved their skiing, however again we are unable to say what may have happened, good or bad had they skied something more forgiving. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I come from a time in skiing when you either skied a slalom ski or a gs ski, and with that you skied in them in bumps, pow, ice or whatever the conditions were. Models used to change just about every season, and it was a relatively easy process to buy a new pair of skis, but now it seems as if marketing/PR people are trying to wring every last cent out of skiers . Do boarders get so many constant changes to their gear ???? I haven't noticed it if they do, Head for example were sprouting off about Itelligent fibres acouple of seasons ago, now it's liquid metal (both products are yet to be fully proven as working). We are being fed crap by these marketing types pure and simple.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think SZK's theory about the ability to learn just fine or better on high end equipment makes a lot of sense. It will hold for a large amount of people. However there will be a group of people where the more direct feedback will cause these people to be too scared to learn easily, only for these people more forgiving equipment is a true benefit.

PS:
These ideas are based on my experience with rowing, another highly technical sport, I own my own Worldchampionship worthy boat.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got on some B2's (a softish advanced ski) on my 5th day of skiing and they were a revelation to me. As a lighter weight bloke I found them fantastic. But other learners had a more cautious approach, they seemed to prefer the beginner skis (as Ronald said). I prefer in most sports to get on decent kit asap.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting, so start everyone in WC skis, forget about anything else (such as fat skis).

Is it the same with boots - that everyone should start in race (plug) boots?

Personally, I believe it is better to teach people to walk before you teach them to run. If you only teach them to run, they lack the control to walk properly.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarpa,

Big difference between a B2 and a WC ski!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, but I like them long! Actually, I didn't know that. The slightly out of date FIS documentI read wasn't that clear. Maybe it'll be 180s then!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, I am with you.

I can't recall learning to ski, although that experience backs up SZKs argument, in that I learned on whatever was put on my feet, from 110cm Fischer Blue Masters in 1971 to 203 Dynastar Course SLs in 1985. (Learning curve changed around then, and ski technology was about to step change). I didn't once think I needed different skis and it doesn't seem to have done me any harm (you are entitled to differ).

However! Things have moved on. I think you could teach someone from scratch on a pair of 185 (or 180?) WC GS skis, but why would they or you want to do that? There's kit out there that will make the whole process more efficient, effective and economically rational. (Assuming good instruction in both cases).

Likewise boots. My first pair (discounting the welly boots I used first time out) had two sets of laces and had to be dubbined after a weeks holiday. One could start out in a pair of plugs, but why?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, but I like them long! Actually, I didn't know that. The slightly out of date FIS documentI read wasn't that clear. Maybe it'll be 180s then!

The one I was looking at said that 180 was the FIS standard regulation, 185 is only for WC. Here's the 2004/05 sheets. which I think are worded badly, as it states 185cm - 5cm!
From the FIS

...and here is the 05/06 sheets from the USSA.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch wrote:
However! Things have moved on. I think you could teach someone from scratch on a pair of 185 (or 180?) WC GS skis, but why would they or you want to do that? There's kit out there that will make the whole process more efficient, effective and economically rational. (Assuming good instruction in both cases).

I'm thinking, what would the instructor say if on your first day on snow, you turned up with full WC GS skis.
If the instructor was any good, once he'd stopped laughing at you, he'd probably suggest you change your skis.
There is good reason why even professional skiers don't ski on full WC skis all the time, and why instructors tend to teach on shorter, softer skis.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, There is a major difference between Quality gear, crap gear and Uncompromised WC gear. I'm fairly sure SZK did not mean to teach on WC gear, but Quality gear. It sure is what I meant.

Just like I do not row the stiffest oars out there (likely the exact same reason WC racers don't full time the WC skis), but I do use high quality oars all the time.
snow conditions
Ronald, I totally agree about people learning better on quailty gear than the cheap 5 year old rentals some shops like to push on them, but there is a big difference between quality gear and

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
...put you on a world-cup ski until you can ski. I don't think it would slow down your progress...
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Interesting, so start everyone in WC skis, forget about anything else (such as fat skis).

Personally, I believe it is better to teach people to walk before you teach them to run. If you only teach them to run, they lack the control to walk properly.

Foxy, calm down, this was a Philisophical descussion, can't see why we have gone back to fat skis again, are you familiar with the Dynastar Pro Rider and Rossingnol B4 squad, these are world cup construction skis.

If i had three weeks with each of my clients, yes i would put everybody in a Plug Shell and an injection liner. At times they would difficult to put on and take off, but i'm sure everyone would have more control. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 15-01-06 15:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Foxy, calm down, this was a Philisophical descussion, can see why we have gone back to fat skis, are you familiar with the Dynastar Pro Rider and Rossingnol B4 squad, these are world cup construction skis.

If i had three weeks with each of my clients, yes i would put everybody in a Plug Shell and an injection liner. At times they would difficult to put on and take off, but i'm sure everyone would have more control. Twisted Evil

If you can run well, where are you going to walk?
ski holidays
beanie1, Yup - totally agree. Much better suited to learning than a WC from my point of view. A learning ski needs to forgive mistakes a little.
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
. A learning ski needs to forgive mistakes a little.

An instructor I knew reasoned you should be punished for your mistakes,you'd then think twice about repeating them Twisted Evil He also made a point of 'never' picking up kids that fell.As he said 'I wont be there if they fall on the piste'.Bit harsh maybe,but its one point of view?
I learnt on snowdome 'crap'.Boy was I glad to get some decent planks on my feet Very Happy
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
If you can run well, where are you going to walk?

When you are not in a rush, or when there are others around you, and it is safer for them if you walk, and also because running isn't the be all and end all, and by running you can miss a lot of what's going on around you.
snow report
snowskisnow,

I thought a ski holiday was meant to be fun!

Though saying that, if you put off newbies that means quieter slopes for the rest of us Twisted Evil
snow report
Back to 2006-7 skis. Those who want to salivate some more might find this French thread (baguette, quite long) quite interesting:
http://www.skipass.com/forums/sports/ski/sujet-61659-0.html
snow report
David Goldsmith, Mmmmm - some very nice artwork on some of those. But I'd best a) Save some money, and b) Learn to ski on last years skis first Puzzled
latest report
Dynastar skis and Lange boots for 2006-7 have been unveiled. There are notable changes to ski construction and the integral bindings system.

This report from FirstTracksOnline.
snow report
David Goldsmith, You like the graphics, alot of work has been put in for the British Market. Twisted Evil
latest report
David Goldsmith, So what that's saying is Dynastar is making Metron B5s in the USA with idiot proof binding systems . . . sounds about right wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy