Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2006/07 skis...

Poster: A snowHead
Take your pick...
Atomic

Head

Rossignol

Salomon
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't say I'm too keen on Sally's colour schemes for next term.... NehNeh

Am a bit confused by Head's figures: the Slalom ski seems to have a greater radius than the current model despite its sidecut being unchanged; whereas the new Supershape has a much greater radius than the current model and looks more akin to this season's Worldcup i.Race model. Maybe they decided the Supershape isn't so super after all!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the ice perv, they didn't seem to want me to test it at the Mondial - I wanted to!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A step back by 3 years for Atomic, in terms of graohics.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
iXRC 1400 yummy

Edit: ^fantastic composure on coral reef and death cookies^

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 13-01-06 20:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, I hired (this season's) Supershapes in the 3V last week, and thoroughly enjoyed myself when I got confident in them, which took a couple of days as they are much higher performance than my usual planks. I would love to compare them to other top-end skis like e.g. the Atomic Metron but unf the hire shop didn't have any of those for me to try - bah!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, where'd you get them from? Most interesting!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, where'd you get them from?

Next year, shops will be selling them, that's where I'd suggest you get them from... Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh, and the 07 K2 Fujative is already out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...the new Teneighty Foil looks trully shocking Laughing ......... the basis for 'The ugliest ski ever' post ? Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, doh! No, the pix I meant! (As if you thought otherwise wink )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, SZK's trash - none of them were fat enough for anyone that shops with him...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, but I want a pair of 185cm, FIS Legal, Race Dept. GS skis. I don't think they make fat versions of those, at least Elan don't anyway!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, if you just want FIS legal, then they can be from 180cm upwards, it's only for WC etc that you need the 185s, AFAIK
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch, Dynastar Legend Pros - 186cm, 28m radius, sandwich construction, built in the Dynastar race room. GS skis, but 3cm wider wink
snow report
Also stockli stormrider xl 184cm!
snow report
Thanks, Hat

I was actually looking for 2007/08 skis this year.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Have it my boy, Parlor may want to look at the Pro-Rider XXL. As for FIS legal, pop by a ski shop sometime, they may have specifications to order, Elan/Nordica, Rossi/Dynastar and also Salomon/Atomic may also be worth a look but in all cases, to justifiy the price, need leg measurements, weight and height and boot resistance. Long live the future and all it may bring. OOOOOOHHHHHHHH, Lange Ski boots.................. Twisted Evil
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Parlor may want to look at the Pro-Rider XXL.

Are they the ones with about 105mm underfoot? I'd like a fondle too
ski holidays
"Hands out of pockets now boyz" Twisted Evil
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, impressed by the pics, but would be even more impressed if you told us you'd skied them! Very Happy
latest report
slikedges, I haven't but I know a man that has.
snow conditions
He's got to lust after them first. Give him a chance.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Shocked I had no idea these things were available a whole season ahead! I thought they'd be developing them through this and perhaps finalise at the end of the season. Can't you wangle a sneaky sH preview? wink .
ski holidays
The skis are now, all ready and set for production Pending pre-orders which will be finalised april, the factories will roll, first in June and then again in September. Most of the new 2006/7 skis are available through certain outlets(Europe) as of end of January, start of Febuary as a small test/demo production run will start the marketting ball rolling. By April you should all find it quite easy to demo 2006/7 skis in France. I can't speak for the other nations but would assume there will be some availability. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
If the public at large knew this, they'd have difficulty selling this season's stuff! Laughing
latest report
slikedges wrote:
If the public at large knew this, they'd have difficulty selling this season's stuff! Laughing

Yep, realistically we have an 8week sales window for a product that takes around 6months of preparation to showroom. Right now and the coming two months, we will start work on product for 2007/8. The only realtime i get is holidays in June. It's an impossible situation but the only way our industry can work. I have a couple of Boot Projects that wont see the light of day before 2009, it sometimse makes helping our clients so difficult as your mind sometimes forgets the product year and you find yourself talking a client out of buying, as the following years version may work better. Twisted Evil
snow report
Extending SZK's point, the way the ski manufacturers work is that they actually finalise (in liaison with their international distributors) the design and make-up of models around 12 months before the skis go on sale in the shops.

So the 2006-7 skis, which will appear in the shops next autumn, will have been finalised in autumn 2005 (i.e. a few months ago).

What's changed, which WTFH (literally) illustrates, is the facility of the internet to leak information which previously the consumer would have had no access to. In the days when I did comprehensive ski equipment reviews, I'd get leaks of next year's gear at around this time of year but no photos for the public.

What hasn't changed is that the big trade shows - Las Vegas in the USA, and Munich for Europe (Manchester for the UK) - are held in the spring and that's where the trade orders are struck. In the background of all that, the ski factories need to maintain smooth production through the year. Not easy, with variables like snow, weather and competition to contend with.

Sometimes surprise ski launches take place during the season, if a manufacturer is feeling bullish.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 14-01-06 13:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are trying to hold back development of skis to a three year cycle, with only graphical changes used. This will see a higher quality product, extend the life of your skis and help you to buy in the confidence that you have up-to date technology, provided you buy in year 1 of 3, i guess.
It's the same in all industries were high technology is used, i've been promising myself a new I-Mac for the last 5 years. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I've not got much time so here's the question. I've seen old film of people cruising deep powder and carving icy piste on skis that would not even be used for bar-room wall decoration. Yet here we are squeezing each others nuts over the performance nuance of skis that require far more skill than most of us possess to determine the difference in performance. All of these products have been developed by people with far more experience than any of us.

Liking or loathing a ski is only down to our own personal ability ... or lack of .... So why do we judge the ski rather than the skier?
snow report
Masque, Perhaps the simplistic answer is that skier's are free. Ski's cost money Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Masque, On the Nose mate, however there are a few real gems amongst the majority of poorly constructed, badly quality controlled skis.
One of them starts with a 'K'. Twisted Evil
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
It's the same in all industries were high technology is used, i've been promising myself a new I-Mac for the last 5 years. Twisted Evil

Well, there's your answer - wait until the ultimate one comes out, then buy.

Of course, that means you'll never buy.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Masque, On the Nose mate, however there are a few real gems amongst the majority of poorly constructed, badly quality controlled skis.
One of them starts with a 'K'. Twisted Evil

That would be Karma then. Laughing
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
We are trying to hold back development of skis to a three year cycle,

That's a move that would be applauded by many I feel.I,for one,am thoroughly ticked off by the constant changes amongst many of the manufacturers;most of which is all hype,bulls--t and graphics Evil or Very Mad (bit of a SZK moment there wink )
I'm in the market for a pair of all mountain's.Something that will progress me into the powder,whilst still retaining some function on the piste.The choice is wide,and baffling Confused Dial in the difficulty of actual testing(in the UK),along with the supposed 'new and improved'? and I'm totally befuddled Puzzled
snow conditions
I'm not sure who "we" are that wants to hold back skiiing, but I would have thought that racers are constantly seeking better equipment, so development is going to progress. As it does, ordinary skiers are going to want to emulate the racers they watch and aspire to be like.
It's the same with WRC cars - they are constantly being redeveloped, and as they are, punters get the benefits as well.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, briefly, how many customers (as a percentage) do you have that are able to exceed the design parameters of any of the skis you sell? Surely a good skier will adapt to suit conditions and equipment and there is challenge in both. Are the manufacturers developing equipment to flatter the masses?

There's something wrong in this thread, it's provoking discord where it's pointless. Confused
snow report
snowskisnow wrote:
I'm in the market for a pair of all mountain's.Something that will progress me into the powder,whilst still retaining some function on the piste.The choice is wide,and baffling Confused Dial in the difficulty of actual testing(in the UK),along with the supposed 'new and improved'? and I'm totally befuddled Puzzled

Well, what you need to do is decide when you want to buy - don't be swayed by marketing or salesmen. Once you've decided that you want to buy, then demo what is available at that time. Of the skis you demo, choose the ones which best suit your ability, they type of skiing you do, and your plans for the near future - e.g. if you are planning to go to Utah this season, then get fatter skis, if you are planning to do a bit of racing, then go thinner and stiffer.
Then buy the skis.
Deal done.
Don't stress about next year's colours, or developments - ski on what you've got, have fun, enjoy yourself.
When you feel (or are told by instructors etc) that you are out-performing your skis, then consider changing them, and start the process over again.

Or, just get the pair that best matches your boots and one piece suit, and change skis every time you change clothes. Laughing
ski holidays
Design changes and improvements including colour schemes that keep a product up to date and exciting are whats important in todays consumer market. Its doesn't matter what the product is if there is a later model someone will buy it just to have it before their mates. So it makes good business sense to continually upgrade and change your products there is a vast amount of disposable income to be had and if one company doesn't get it their competitor will. Whether we like it or not we created this market by buying new equipment on desires and emotion rather than need.

Now where did I put my credit card wink
latest report
Masque, Not really sure i understand your question. The reason we stock so called 'high-end/expert' skis are we belive they are accessable to all, however they do use the more expensive materials and manufacturing.(I make a lot less money on these!) Think of these as Quality skis, not expert skis.
The cheaper skis are then marketted as 'below expert/less frequent and beginner' type skis, these i don't sell as they, in my opinion offer a lesser quality at a proportionally higher price.
To try and answer your question, if i understand it. Very few. The skiers that exceed the quality of the skis i sell, choose their skis and don't pay for them.
Wear The Fox Hat, There have been almost no or very few changes in true race skis in the last 5/10 years. Alot of work is done with length and side cut, but construction here has seen no real development. I have some real old DH boards in the shop from 1992, except the graphic it's practically the same ski as used today, i guess wood-is-wood. 'We' are trying to implement many standards on the manufactures, regarding skis, it's to protect and add value to and for the customer. Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy