Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet Staff

Poster: A snowHead
Having worked many seasons ( as a real chef!) i can say that cash is the most appreciated. Maybe 10-15 years ago certain products were difficult to come by but now you find almost everything in resort or nearby. Maldon salt? Carrefour sell it. So does metro. So does super u. Although there are better ( and cheaper) products! Generally being nice and polite goes a long way. +1 for not cleaning the rooms, although many prefer to give the bathroom a once over so its not so bad at the end of the week. Best thing i have had is the people who say dont bother with afternoon tea as they will stay out for apres! Saves time in the morning and gives more time skiing in the afternoon( also means we get a cheeky beer for apres). Have a great holiday!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would have to say we've never tipped 20 euros pp (as a family of 4, in a bigger group taking the chalet for ourselves) but do always take any requests out with us (never been asked for salt, but HAVE been asked for chocolate, good cheese, paracetamol....does that make us drug-runners?), leave mags, toiletries etc., tell the staff not to bother cleaning the rooms every day (we make our own beds), invite them to have a drink with us pre-or post-dinner, are generally tidy and non-demanding and do leave a decent end-of-stay tip from the group.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some great advice on here. Always leave a tip for good service but never done this early or taken goodies out in advance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Funnily enough, getting the room tidied/cleaned each day is one of the things I value most about a chalet. Certainly can't see Mrs FZ letting the chalet girl off that chore!

I love the irony of @Anniepen, taking 'good cheese' to France.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just asked my daughter what she thought as a former chalet maid with Esprit. Alcohol, toiletries, and cheese were not in short supply, strangely! She was however surviving on around 15 euro a week.
Now when she herself stays at chalets if the service has been good she takes a jam jar round and suggests 20 euro a head.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did mean as opposed to mild Cheddar rubber or a tube of Primula wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@foxtrotzulu, I am another one of the anti French cheese brigade. Give me a decent strong cheddar any day. Just returned from a few days in Paris and took my own cheese Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thankfully tipping isn't too much of a concern with the chalet I'm going back to next week as it's amazing how often you find the hosts eating in the same restaurant as you at lunch, so you just buy them lunch (having just happened to ski the same runs and even happened to share the same gondola up - but it's just coincidence, not guiding or anything because that would be against the rules...).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How much are paracetamol in France?
I have discovered with these self service checkouts you can buy as much as you need by putting them through 2 at a time in the Uk, paying and doing it again .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar wrote:
How much are paracetamol in France?

eye wateringly expensive Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@T Bar, I shall be writing to the authorities to get that stopped.
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hells Bells,
'tis useful when you need to stock up for holidays etc though. Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@T Bar, how many do you need? Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
@T Bar, how many do you need? Shocked

Depends I can't take brufen etc and I'm quite chunky so can take a bit more than the recommended dose and if away for a couple of weeks I don't like to be caught short.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells, easy formula - volume of paracetamol if N (drinks) + 1 Happy
latest report
max 8 per day is 56 for a week.
snow conditions
Well I can certainly get through more than 8 in a day but wouldn't always repeat, but for a family of four, the most I can get is 48 so repeating is useful for holidays shortages etc.
How much are they in France anyway?
latest report
Not sure if its been said above but:

Pork Scratchings Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@T Bar, paracetamol over dosing is remarkably easy and very very bad for you ( to death) Skullie

http://www.emed.ie/Toxicology/Paracetamol.php
snow report
@under a new name,
I know but at my body weight going a bit over the dose for the average person is not going to do me harm and even on the recommended dose I cannot buy enough for one person for one week let alone a family of four for 10 days or more.
latest report
@T Bar, I have to ask what you're all taking it for? Surely if you need that much you're getting it prescribed?
snow report
I don't take it all most of the time I buy it so that I have a supply if needed and don't have to go to the local quack or pharmacist to get it.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@T Bar, I have to ask what you're all taking it for? Surely if you need that much you're getting it prescribed?
Good question. I'm staggered at the quantity/dosage we are talking about here. I doubt we get through more than 20 a year for the whole family.

Only last week when chatting to our local GP he mentioned one of his patients (23 yr old healthy male) who had taken a few more than the recommended dose to cure a hangover. He's now left with two options, liver transplant or death. Not good.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 4-01-16 16:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The staff in our chalet are on £75 a week with accommodation and lift pass provided.

You certainly don't do it for the money!
snow report
@T Bar, very few people will need 8 a day for a week. Don't be so confident that a small (but regular) overdose won't harm you either. A friend of my sister's died from an unintentional paracetamol overdose. There is very little difference between you and a 50kg adult when it comes to metabolising paracetamol. Even a hospital supervised IV infusion has a maximum of 4g per day dose.
snow report
Years ago I was on night-duty as a nurse when a young lady (24) was admitted having had a row with her bf and taken all the paracetamol she had in her bag,11. She later told bf who whisked her to hospital where she had her stomach washed out & was put on a drip. Three weeks later I was on day duty on the same ward when she was readmitted in end stage liver failure, and she died 24hrs later with distraught bf by her side. She is a patient I have never forgotten & I have had the utmost respect for paracetamol ever since. She wasn't tiny either @T Bar, so take it with care wink
snow report
@Hells Bells, @genepi,
I'm really not taking industrial quantities of paracetamol , fear not for my health, but I do like to have rather more than the current quantities for sale allow for holidays etc.
ski holidays
TIL be carful with paracetamol.
Thank you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@T Bar, you can buy 96 (3x32) at the pharmacist's discretion if you visit a pharmacy. Some won't sell you more than 32, but many will do if you say it is for a family going on holiday.
latest report
Our professional body decided that we should only sell 32 except in exceptional circumstances.
snow report
I'm off out in a couple of weeks, I just dropped the company a message by Twitter to ask what the chalet staff would like. I've done a season as a host before (ski host, just before the clamp down) and must admit that I hated it, mostly because of the customers... So trying to be very unlike the people I had!
snow conditions
@thedrewski, You've opened the can, now spill the beans...how should we punters be "unlike the people I had"? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, I genuinely don't understand why it isn't either script only or delivered with antidote included in the preparation.

@T Bar, why can't you tolerate ibuprofen? Personally, I find paracetamol useless but ibuprofen awesome.
latest report
15€ a week? I think she may be pulling at the heart strings of bank of dad...
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, my first PdS season, 1988, the chalet girls iirc were paid £30 a week.

And every expense of accom and food/liftpass/ski hire was covered.

So all one needed was drniking, which the busy bars discounted ? 50% or so! Plus lots of free drinks. And free nightclub with clients.
snow report
@under a new name,
Quote:

@T Bar, why can't you tolerate ibuprofen? Personally, I find paracetamol useless but ibuprofen awesome.

I used to use Brufen but have just been started on some new medicine which I shouldn't mix with it. To be honest I don't like taking any medicines and avoid them when I can but find paracetamol v useful when I need something and hate being caught short.
I used the supermarket checkout when heading up north for NY when just about everything is closed and even if open the nearest pharmacy is probably over an hours drive away. I only used about 5G in total over the time.
snow report
@ALQ, that kind of information is restricted to the bar where ex-seasonaires and seasonaires dish the gossip in a bizarre display of one-upmanship
latest report
@ALQ, that kind of information is restricted to the bar where ex-seasonaires and seasonaires dish the gossip in a bizarre display of one-upmanship
snow report
I used to blythely take the suggested adult dose of 2 paracetomol for nearly everything, till my then 14 year old daughter broke her arm. The hospital sent her home for nearly a week before operating on it, and said she should take 1 paracetomol 4 times a day. For an unset broken arm. I am not much bigger than she was, and I now very rarely take 2 at once.
ski holidays
@under a new name, and you could buy a house for £30k

In 2005 I was on 100€ a week so the 15 from esprit sounds quite ridiculous. Well the 100€ sounds ridiculous but at the time it was plenty.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy