Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Altitude sickness

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Initially you breath faster and your heart beats faster. This causes you to lose CO2 from your blood, which makes it a bit more alkaline, together causing your haemoglobin to better bind oxygen even at lower pressures.

Yup although getting rid of the CO2 is a bit of a double edged sword. It creates more room for the oxygen in your lungs so you can have a higher concentration of oxygen and it does allow your blood to carry more oxygen.
However although your haemoglobin will carry more oxygen at a given pressure this also means that it is less able to release it to the tissues and you soon get a secondary adaptation of an increase in one of the red cell molecules to counteract the lower CO2 so at modest altitudes your haemoglobin individually tends to carry slightly less oxygen when adapted.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timc wrote:
@Mountain Addiction,
+1
Due to a medical condition I'm particularly prone to dehydration and find that when I'm in the mountains or any height much above sea level I suffer and have to take special care of myself.

I have Addison's disease and I get severely dehydrated very quickly if I am not careful. Earlier this month, I suffered an Addisonian crisis in Chamonix due to over exertion, dehydration and not monitoring medication. I had about an hour's sleep the night before, 7 am flight to Geneva, transfer to chalet, ham/cheese baguette and small glass of wine, joined guided group to Grand Montet, skiied hard, came back to chalet for drinks and dinner and then it all went a little pear-shaped. I've got a platypus hydration bladder but forgot to fill it up - the guided group stopped for drinks only at the end of the day. I won't forget to do that again.

In short, make sure he drinks lots of water and mix it with dioralyte on transfer days/if he is skiing hard.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy