Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Customs Clamp Down

Poster: A snowHead
A warning to all. I always get stopped driving through customs as I have a Swiss plated car and they are convinced I've been stocking up in France. My elderly parents today however, drove to the customs at Vallorbe and got stopped. As a present to the family for Christmas they had a turkey, ham and other consumables. They were not aware of the meat import restrictions and although they offered to pay the applicable duty they were also fined...the total of all...CHF 1200!! They weighed all the meat, the irony of it was if my mother had cooked the sausage rolls, the duty wouldn't apply Puzzled

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-12-15 19:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swiss wrote:
... the applicable duty were also fined...the total of all...CHF 1200!!
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swissie wrote:
A warning to all. I always get stopped driving through customs as I have a Swiss plated car and they are convinced I've been stocking up in France. My elderly parents today however, drove to the customs at Vallorbe and got stopped. As a present to the family for Christmas they had a turkey, ham and other consumables. They were not aware of the meat import restrictions and although they offered to pay the applicable duty were also fined...the total of all...CHF 1200!! They weighed all the meat, the irony of it was if my mother had cooked the sausage rolls, the duty wouldn't apply Puzzled

The Swiss are pretty serious. I'm currently serving out a 6 month driving ban for speeding and not that fast either. Plus 1 month prison sentence suspended for 3 years and something like 2000 CHF of fines.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidof, Wow, poor you. Yes you're right, I've always said that you have to be up front with those at customs, I just felt bad for the olds who offered to pay but were stung anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Swissie, she got a proper roasting then.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swissie wrote:
@davidof, Wow, poor you.

Yes bit unfair for your folks. In my case no excuse and those are the rules.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Pruman, Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ouch!!

The rules are not easy to find but are published and meat - in particular pork - has "protectionist" levels applied.

Sometimes you have a sympathetic agent, sometimes not. Sorry for your folks, seems a little harsh.

@davidof, yikes! How fast and in what limit??

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 15-12-15 19:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bloody hell that does seem very tough indeed. I'll be sure to warn our friends to be extra careful on weighing up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure, @Swissie, if they're actually clamping down, just more security theatre attention at the borders and less Xmas slack leads to grumpy douanieres who actually look in the boot.

We slipped across the border for a possibly illicit washing machine service and there was definitely more attention being paid in those two trips than in the last 5 years combined rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So if I drive through Switzerland on the way to Chamonix any food we have is taxable, unless it's cooked!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Then I'd better not take my usual route through the Jura with my frozen turkey crown and ham (not to mention streaky bacon) on my way down on Thursday....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got away with smuggling a packet of lardons through the border last week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rjs, Me too, but my crime was Smokey Bacon Walkers crisps.
latest report
I have a choice, the Jura route where there are often cursory stops and occosaional delays, or via Geneva where I've only ever been stopped to buy a vignette. Sounds like Geneva. I've just perused the "rules" worst case they charge you 10% of the value of imports, refundable on leaving the country. Not sure if that also applies to food.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-12-15 20:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
You can take a kilo. If you're landing in Gva then you're supposed to declare it on arrival.

I had enough to restock a service station last weekend. There used to be a 3.5kg limit for smoked meat - bacon was easy, leg of lamb is the challenge
snow report
Quote:
We slipped across the border for a possibly illicit washing machine service...
What the....??!!

Class A drugs, or even a turkey, I can just about understand....but er, a washing machine service Laughing!!

Would someone care to explain Puzzled
ski holidays
Cash @mountainaddict, Switzerland is ridiculously expensive.

If you can you buy over the border, unless you're filthy rich or it's the same price from what I gather. There are famous incidents of price fixing- BMW has just been fined 156mCHF for banning Swiss residents from buying BMWs in Europe and importing them.
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, The last time I bought a leg of lamb here, I nearly needed resuscitating from the shock of the price.

I have shown your responses to the 'olds' and you have made them feel better...so thanks, although I feel my poor Pa has aged 10 years
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Ouch!!

The rules are not easy to find but are published and meat - in particular pork - has "protectionist" levels applied.

Sometimes you have a sympathetic agent, sometimes not. Sorry for your folks, seems a little harsh.

@davidof, yikes! How fast and in what limit??

81km/h in a 50 zone but I was between 2 villages and hadn't realized the 50 zone continued between the villages. There was a sign but I didn't see it. No excuses, fair enough. It was quite a shock getting involved with the Swiss justice system though.
snow report
You still need 4 in the car to get a good one through @Swissie, my best friend lives in Zug and says driving is the problem- flying you're never stopped.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, So true, my brother who lives in the UK and has a farm shop, has never had a problem bringing the odd 'cut' over here when he flies.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
@Swissie, she got a proper roasting then.

Someone obviously squealed.

I would have told them to trot on.

But it sounds like they had a right stuffing.
ski holidays
@Filthyphil30k, Smile
latest report
Mrs Jbob had all her French cheese confiscated at Geneva airport when a police dog sniffed it out.
snow conditions
So the moral of the story is to follow the customs guidelines when entering a country?

A quick Google search shows https://www.ch.ch/en/swiss-customs/

Customs in the UK deal with people smuggling stuff and we (the UK public) would expect the rules to be enforced and applicable fines to be paid. CHF 1200 is high but if that is what their rules allow them to charge then there is no arguing with it.

I guess that they could have asked for the option of going to court to argue their case?
snow report
@pam w, have a good journey. We are also travelling Thursday/Friday with frozen turkey saddle and a gammon. Fingers crossed for the Eurotunnel.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gaffs tape it to your torso @andy1234,
snow conditions
Thanks @Nadenoodlee, but I'm packing enough pork as it is! Think I've put too much lardon
snow conditions
@andy1234, Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

I guess that they could have asked for the option of going to court to argue their case?

@Hurdy, \
Yes they have the option in 10 days time, but they have a life wink They are quite philosophical about it, they know rules are rules.
ski holidays
@Swissie, could they gave abandoned the turkey and the other stuff or would they still have been fined, so it wasn't worth the loss of the meat!
snow conditions
How heavy was the turkey?

the limit used to be 500g/person of beef/lamb/pork but processed meat limits (sausages, smoked, marinated etc) and poultry were much higher. They changed this to 1kg/person over 17 years for all meat, which is much more restrictive, especially if you have kids.

The limits are clear, but the penalties are not, hence my question of how far over the limit for a chf1000 fine.
ski holidays
Seen the price of chicken in swiss supermarket!

https://produkte.migros.ch/m-budget-pouletbrust
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

81km/h in a 50 zone but I was between 2 villages and hadn't realized the 50 zone continued between the villages. There was a sign but I didn't see it. No excuses, fair enough. It was quite a shock getting involved with the Swiss justice system though.

Blimey didn't realise the penalties were that harsh. I take it the 81 is after they took off a few km/h as margin? Is the ban also applicable in FR or just CH?
ski holidays
Standard routine is to take 6km/h off for error, and the ban is against your driving licence in effect, so unless someone has several drivers licences, it means no driving. You'd be mad to flaunt it as one would then have to do time in the clink, as a colleague of mine discovered....
snow report
@BobinCH, weren't you around when that bloke managed to get the (at least at that point) biggest fine in European history?

Around 250,000 CHF and he lost the New Ferrari he was "running in" ...

For the Swiss it's often means tested based on tax returns. In the UK I believe it's usually a ban once 30mph over limit in force?
snow report
stanton wrote:
Seen the price of chicken in swiss supermarket!

https://produkte.migros.ch/m-budget-pouletbrust

That is slightly cheaper than it would be in the UK (Sainsbury's).
snow conditions
@stanton,
That isn't expensive for skinless breasts. You can pay the same in UK supermarkets.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy