Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WHEN Will it (Next) Snow in the Alps??

Poster: A snowHead
I'm out in bad hofgastein and have had 2 great days so far... was a little concerned before coming but there is good cover.. and so so quite... skiing 5k reds with not one other person along the entire run is awesome. Would normally be in schladming but crystal don't start this week... Will be there in three weeks and although may not have powder I am sure it will be cool... although mild for the time of year there are still some great conditions.. perspective at home can sometimes be a bit pessimistic.. just wanted to give some positivity to those coming soon from someone out in resort... and Eric if ya reading you now know where I am
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Millom wrote:
which piste is Varet?
It's a lift.

Millom wrote:
Comborciere would be more likely than most.
Comborciere lift closed. I saw Clocheret lift was running but I didn't see anybody on it so maybe just testing it, so no way to get to the top of Comborciere piste without hiking.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne, sorry for the grumpy tone I just get annoyed with the poor advice offered by some. If we take last year as an example a lot of the same people would have been talking up the Christmas week but in reality the conditions were pretty terrible and NY was fortunately saved. I don't want to hear people saying how excellent or how terrible things are carte blanche but rather just give a fair and reasonable assessment. I'll cope with conditions when I go far better than most and will be happy to have only a few ski days but what help is it to make someone else think it's all rosy when it quite probably won't be! There are plans you could make to improve the situation for example.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 14-12-15 17:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

That was thought to be a once in ~25 year thing but it's actually looking quite similar.

I think you'll find that last year was a once in 25 year type event in terms of the snow cover but that this current system with a Mediterranean blocking high happens with regularity. Usually there's been more snow or it's colder and cannons can run.

Dodgy Christmas cover is not at all unusual.

I recall in 2009 or 2010 being rained off entirely for New Year's day in Morzine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Millom wrote:
@Layne, sorry for the grumpy tone I just get annoyed with the poor advice offered by some.
I am simply reporting what I'm skiing on, despite your accusations that I'm lying in order to promote rentals of my apartment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

absolutely right, though last year was particularly bad. Hence my irritation when people seeking advice about early holidays are assured "it'll be fine; we were there in two thousand and something and it was wonderful".

Probably the same people who say "you won't need snow chains. I've driven to the Alps five times and never needed them; they keep the roads clear" . Laughing

I remember a Christmas/New Year - I think 2002/3 when my son paid for an early flight home because it was shocking weather and he could get some highly paid shifts cooking over New Year. I drove him past one of the nursery slopes en route to Geneva, at 0800 and he was almost tempted to stay to watch the beginners coping with what had become a gently sloping ice rink after heavy rain and an overnight freeze.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Being out of the office is great but eh I get limited time out of the office so it would be nice if I could make the most of it!!
and that is the case for most people. I am sympathetic.

One problem is misinformation and webcams mysteriously out of order. The Ski Club of Great Britain news page (2nd story down, so looking very current):

Quote:
Winter is here! After an exceptionally hot summer and a mild autumn, winter has arrived in Europe with a bang! The first significant snowstorm of the season struck over the weekend, dropping as much as 100cm of snow on parts of the northern Alps.

Incompetence at best.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"_________________
Luxury apartment in Les Arcs for rent
Inside Out Skiing £50 OFF your first group clinic at Hemel"

sorry you're obviously not into self-promotion! rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Millom wrote:
@Layne, sorry for the grumpy tone I just get annoyed with the poor advice offered by some. If we take last year as an example a lot of the same people would have been talking up the Christmas week but in reality the conditions were pretty terrible and NY was fortunately saved. I don't want to hear people saying how excellent or how terrible things are carte blanche but rather just give a fair and reasonable assessment. I'll cope with conditions when I go far better than most and will be happy to have only a few ski days but what help is it to make someone else think it's all rosy when it quite probably won't be! There are plans you could make to improve the situation for example.

Last year I did take a bit of a gamble when booking an apartment in a new resort for us, Les 7 Laux - which doesn't have particularly high altitude skiing. And I remained optimistic right up until 3/4 days before when they announced the resort would not open! Fortunately, as we drive, we were easily able to switch to Tignes. We had a decent week, especially given I hadn't skied there a while and we have fairly young children but it wasn't one that would live long in the memory. And we like our off piste - so a part of what we do wasn't available. And so on. This year as we are booked into Paradiski I know we'll be fine in whatever form the week takes. Just hoping for some fresh snow just to improve on last year Very Happy snowHead wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pruman, agree re webcams, scgb and limited holiday time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Hence my irritation when people seeking advice about early holidays are assured "it'll be fine; we were there in two thousand and something and it was wonderful".
I suppose it depends on your definition of fine. I've skied Christmas week for the last 15+ years and have always had plenty of piste skiing available. Last year was bad so I only skied for three or four half-days, but conditions earlier in the month had been OK so I was in the fortunate position of not needing to ski every day of the Christmas week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Millom wrote:
"_________________

So are you saying that I'm lying about snow conditions?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne, Les 7 Laux is a great mid size resort so if you never made it there I suggest you go in the future. There is an unpisted hidden valley (away from everything) which is a very nice ski once you get past the sign at the top warning of falling over the edge to your death!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

That was thought to be a once in ~25 year thing but it's actually looking quite similar.

I think you'll find that last year was a once in 25 year type event in terms of the snow cover but that this current system with a Mediterranean blocking high happens with regularity. Usually there's been more snow or it's colder and cannons can run.

I recall in 2009 or 2010 being rained off entirely for New Year's day in Morzine.

Not sure what you are saying? Was last year once in 25 years or not?

It was unusual IME but I can actually say I've been at Christmas for 25 year+ just the last few and an odd one a bit before....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My apartment is full till the end of the season apart from 12th march week. All booked months ago before anyone knew what the weather was going to be like so @Millom I have no vested interest. I've just spent 3 brilliant on piste days in Flachau, Zauchensee and Schladming. Yes its mostly man made and not everything is open but the conditions are lovely. It's mostly cold and very cold indeed at night. The snowcannons are running all night and there is a good base to the bottom in a nmber of resorts. If there isn't then it's no big deal to download.

I do get that people get twitchy when it's their only week.....I cancelled whistler last season as the conditions were so crap. It cost me hundreds of pounds to move to sun peaks, which was also poor but we enjoyed the week.

Anyone coming to ski Amade in the next few weeks can expect an enjoyable ski even if it warms up.
snow report
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

Personally, when people are wanting to travel at or before Christmas, or at Easter, I always advise waiting till the last minute to book accommodation. They usually can't stop themselves, though. rolling eyes

There are various good reasons why people may not want to wait till the week before to book their accommodation. If you are travelling with kids and limited to the busiest weeks the only way to guarantee your chosen accommodation is to book it early. There is often a 10% early booking discount on the CGH properties we tend to book and late deals are less likely. If you are travelling with a group of friends you may need larger apartments or several apartments in the same place and again it is a risk to book late. There are also sometimes early booking discounts on family ski passes and ski hire which cannot be booked if you don't know where you are going Laughing .

I would rather book my chosen accommodation in a resort with a reasonable snow record and know where I am going in advance. This then enables me to look forward to my holiday for nearly a year. snowHead
snow report
Millom wrote:
"_________________

You are severely out of order here. Do you actually know Rob? I've never met anyone who is less self promoting. He is honest, kind and generous with sharing his wide knowledge. You need to wind your neck in
snow conditions
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
Millom wrote:
"_________________

You are severely out of order here. Do you actually know Rob? I've never met anyone who is less self promoting. He is honest, kind and generous with sharing his wide knowledge. You need to wind your neck in

So perhaps a change of signature is in order just to clear that up so people don't get the wrong impression!
ski holidays
Quote:

There are various good reasons why people may not want to wait till the week before to book their accommodation.

of course there are. As long as people are not unrealistic, and recognise the snow risks, no problem. Last year the best Christmas conditions were in Italy. This year they have done very badly for snow.

Last Christmas many resorts which are normally pretty reliable for snow (including St Anton) had terrible conditions. It's a risk, and people just need to recognise this.

holidayloverxx +1 I told millom earlier in the thread his attack on rob@rar was entirely unjustified.
snow report
Millom wrote:
So perhaps a change of signature is in order just to clear that up so people don't get the wrong impression!
Are you saying that anyone who has financial interest in skiing is to be mistrusted? Am I lying about snow conditions?
snow report
@Millom, the people to get excited about are the ones who are not up front about their interests.
snow conditions
@Millom, absolutely no need for signature changes. Rob contributes financially to keep this forum going ....unlike you. It is perfectly acceptable to out a link in a signature. The only person getting a wrong impression is you.

I also have a link...in 5 seasons I have only had 1 snowhead book. I give a significant discount but its not exactly pulling in the punters!
latest report
Reading some of these posts is hilarious. Why are some of you getting so uptight about mother nature? Throwing word around like "disappointed" "need to make the most of it" You are making it sound like people are making the conditions limited just to annoy others and it's the last ever snow holiday in the world.

If you take time to read this forum and do your research then you will know these rules apply:

1. Book early season you risk the snow being limited
2. Book late season same as above
3. If you do want an early season trip or want guaranteed snow to play on then you have to book a high resort
4. Resort sites lie about the current conditions
5. Use a forum like this and use what people are reporting who are actually in the resorts!

That's my mini moment over with.

Toofy Grin
snow report
@pam w, I spotted you had after I posted. He's clearly on a mission
snow conditions
@chrisrawles, the voice of reason.
ski holidays
@Millom,- @rob@rar, is a very long standing, knowledgeable and extremely generous contributor to snowheads, I fear you will get nowhere with your nasty little trolls.
ski holidays
Millom.... did you see my impartial appraisal? I have no vested commercial interest... I am an emergency department nurse.... who skis a fair few weeks... even warmer temps in the ski amade with the cover at present will not be to bad.. in fact would be very enjoyable... as I said just reflecting conditions I currently have to add positivity to those coming soon...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The accusation that apartment-owners are talking up the conditions on here in order to boost bookings is pure comedy.

I've been an apartment owner and renter, and using this site since beginning of 2012. In 4 seasons, I think I received one booking from a Snowhead, which is absolutely fine, but not the reason I visit and post here. I visit and post here to learn and talk about our common interest and I list my apartment in my signature to give readers some perspective on my comments. The week that was booked by a Snowhead probably would have been booked anyway, by someone from Airbnb, Holiday Lettings or one of the many of the other sites on which I advertise. My comments may indeed be partisan because I really like the place where spend a lot of my time, not because a Snowhead once rented my apartment off me for 400 quid.

For the record, I skied Chatel the last two weekends. The earlier weekend had fairly good conditions, firm, grippy snow on-piste, blue skies, quiet pistes with partial opening as is usual the first weekend. On Saturday (two days ago) most of the area was open, including the link to Avoriaz and most of the pistes were open in that area. Conditions were ok, even pretty good considering the recent weather - good snow cover, a few stones here and there although the busier pistes towards the centre of the PdS were very hard and polished. Chatel is not high but there is very good and extensive snowmaking. The worst thing certainly wasn't the fairly good snow conditions, it was the out-of-control newly-arrived saisoniers, many of whom seemed keen to end their season and perhaps someone elses, early by skiing too fast and out-of-control on hard pistes.

The weather forecast doesn't bode well for Christmas week, but a lot depends on small margins of temperature to allow snowmaking or how much rain falls and to what altitude. Those skiing right now are best placed to describe conditions as they are right now, which where I am are fine for this time of year.
latest report
@rob@rar, I'm not going to say your lying but I would say your misleading with some of what you say and only you can say why that is. Why do you feel the need to advertise/promote on your signature and is this the purpose of this forum or this thread?

@pam_w, I'm not attacking the individual I'm commenting on certain statements made and trying to add some counter-balance (and uncovering some untruths).
snow report
@chrisrawles, I agree with your comments about risks in early and late season. But why is it out of order for people to be "disappointed" if they spend a lot of money for a trip in school holiday times and then find few pistes open, and those very hard and slick and full of skiers from places with even less snow? It's a natural reaction. Like my daughter and SiL, who went to Deven and Cornwall on their honeymoon (summer holidays, they are teachers) ready to surf if there was wind and waves, and relax and swim if there was calm sunny weather. They had two weeks solid rain. In a small VW camper. They were disappointed with conditions. Fair enough isn't it? I was disappointed to spend 3 days in Arabba with so much snow that all lifts and pistes were closed.
ski holidays
@Millom, untruths? So you are accusing Rob of lying! I hope I don't come across you in real life. You are pitiful
ski holidays
Millom wrote:
@rob@rar, I'm not going to say your lying but I would say your misleading with some of what you say and only you can say why that is.
So you're calling me a liar, but hiding behind the weasel word of "misleading". Charming!
ski holidays
@Millom, Seriously! Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
@Millom, you seem very keen to argue for a newby, and having two names does not add value either.
I don't mind socks but usually expect people to have been on here more than 5 minutes.

I hVe never met Rob, but if you take the time to read his posts you will see he adds value to snowheads.

Take your time , settle in And make some friends.
latest report
@Filthyphil30k, 2 names? What is his other,?
snow conditions
@pam w, Sorry I was referring more to the "current" state of conditions and early/late season. Obviously if you booked middle of the season where conditions are normally good then yes even I would be disappointed. Little Angel
latest report
@holidayloverxx, I will dig it out. He seems to be an amateur travel agent on the side.
snow report
Layne wrote:

Not sure what you are saying? Was last year once in 25 years or not?

It was unusual IME but I can actually say I've been at Christmas for 25 year+ just the last few and an odd one a bit before....

Hah hah now I'm not sure what you're saying!

Last year was possibly not only the worst in 25 years (which would suggest the reference was to 88-89 or 89-90 (which was truly dire)) but I actually think in France it was the poorest early snow since records began.

And then ... Snowmaggedon.
ski holidays
@Sammawby.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy