Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WHEN Will it (Next) Snow in the Alps??

Poster: A snowHead
Now looking like another warm and snowless run up to Christmas Sad - so we'll have had just about no new snow for the past month.

Long range forecast shows nothing major on the horizon.

Gulp.

Everything crossed and snowdances ongoing..... rolling eyes

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 14-12-15 19:31; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
well, at least summer hiking season will start earlier Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did anyone looking for weather forecast for January in Hochkonig? Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Did anyone looking for weather forecast for January in Hochkonig?

I CBA to look at forecasts for January - fairly pointless at this stage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, you've been around long enough to realise "long range" is very inaccurate for weather forecasting...anything over 3 days out take with a huge pinch of salt. I am sure the snow will come, nobody knows when unfortunately. As ever head for somewhere with a proven, reliable Xmas snow record and decent snowmaking and you'll be ok!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Did anyone looking for weather forecast for January in Hochkonig?

I CBA to look at forecasts for January - fairly pointless at this stage.

Anything over a week starts to become sketchy. It becomes computer aided guesswork rather than science.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski wrote:
Anything over a week starts to become sketchy. It becomes computer aided guesswork rather than science.

Was trying to explain that to my folks last night. We're on the bash to Livigno in January and they're worrying because The Times is telling them that we're all doomed and it's never going to snow ever again, ever.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
23rd March 2016
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm leaving next Tuesday for St Anton for 10 nights and I'm not worried one bit, the locals are all super happy and I intend to be like them! There's plenty of on-piste to go at, off-piste is looking crap but can't change it so what the hell its just weather. Wish it'd cool down though.....and it will snow of course, it never fails. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just started the 3rd week of the winter (Tignes, Hintertux and now Les Arcs). It's a poor start to the season, but I've had some great piste conditions and while the weather is unseasonably mild it is nice to sit outside in December. Doom and gloom? Not for me Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The pictures I'm seeing on Facebook from friends in Austria look pretty snowy...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
you've been around long enough to realise "long range" is very inaccurate for weather forecasting...anything over 3 days out take with a huge pinch of salt
I know, I know....Laughing I'd still rather it was saying blizzards though...

Quote:
As ever head for somewhere with a proven, reliable Xmas snow record and decent snowmaking and you'll be ok!
So that's Weardale and Yad Moss ruled out...But, er, we're not actually going until 9th January - I just like to get my worrying in early...rolling eyes Destination is, as yet, to be determined as all we have booked is Geneva flights - so at least the world is (almost) our oyster in terms of seeking out some decent snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rob@rar, the perspective is completed different depending on whether you are a paying customer rather than someone who has a place in the Alps or is doing a Season.

If you're there all the time then you'd have had some good early snow in October/November and those working through the main season have lots of time for good snow too.

However anyone going for a holiday over the next few weeks has nothing to look forward to in recent forecasts other than sun rather than rain (as Pam says) which is frankly just the better of two evils based on current snow.

If you've had nice conditions outside of the main season and are enjoying the sun now then good for you but please don't suggest this is helpful for anyone else! rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There was a brilliant article in the most recent Morzine Source magazine about how much it snowed compared to predictions (based on the data of a very dedicated resident). Anything outside 24hours is crap was my coffee and cake and skim read summary.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The pictures I'm seeing on Facebook from friends in Austria look pretty snowy...

I've been looking at the webcam at the top of Mont Bisanne, in Les Saisies - it looks gorgeous, everything pretty well covered with snow. No artificial snakes down a brown mountain (which I find very dispiriting, I'm afraid). Brilliant sunshine.

However, the snow is very thin and the temperatures forecast for the next week are dizzying - freezing level at 3000m next weekend (and not that much different in Austria). It's 10 days till Christmas and nothing good is going to be happening to the snow in the meantime. Fingers crossed we'll escape much rain in western areas. I suspect that skiing in Les Saisies this weekend was excellent, with few people and spring weather. But at Christmas I won't be bothering. It'll be very crowded, and that thin snow is gonna take a bashing. It doesn't bother me - I'm one of the lucky ones who can wait, as I'll be there for much of the season. But for my daughter and family, who were there last Christmas, it's very disappointing. We'll have a lovely week all together but, frankly, it's really not going to be a ski holiday.

They know that Christmas is early season and always a gamble. They are bothered less than I am (as somebody said, you kind of feel responsible for the weather) but I don't think it helps to play down how disappointing it is for somebody heading off to one of their only weeks skiing.
snow conditions
I'm starting to get very worried myself. We're off to Jackson Hole next weekend for 11 days and some of the runs might have delayed openings in the morning while they secure the slopes Twisted Evil Twisted Evil snowHead
ski holidays
@dsoutar, be careful what you wish for. I spent 3 days in Arabba with all lifts and slopes closed by excessive snowfall. NehNeh
latest report
pam w wrote:
I suspect that skiing in Les Saisies this weekend was excellent, with few people and spring weather.

I don't know about les Saisies but round here the pistes are rock hard due partly to manmade snow and partly to a freeze/thaw cycle with the clear skies. Not really spring skiing despite the warm weather. Competition skiers will love it, others, not so much.
snow conditions
@dsoutar, rolling eyes so too expensive for a full 2 weeks?!
snow report
Quote:

I don't know about les Saisies but round here the pistes are rock hard due partly to manmade snow and partly to a freeze/thaw cycle with the clear skies.

yes, I suspect the pistes are hard but all will still have a reasonable amount of natural snow and would be OK to ski on when practically empty. But add another week of tropical temperatures and a lot of people and I, for one, will not be going near the pistes!

I said spring weather, not spring skiing. wink
snow conditions
@davidof, have you been over to Alpe d'Huez recently (or do you plan to next week)? Also do you have any idea whether there will be deals on lift passes if there are limited slopes open? Is there any indication of this in the resorts around Grenoble?
latest report
Quote:

do you have any idea whether there will be deals on lift passes if there are limited slopes ope

There were no deals in Les Saisies last Christmas when only 11 runs were open. But as that was 11 more than most places had, the slopes were rammed - they'd have been mad (commercially speaking) to offer reduced prices. wink
snow report
I had a season pass but you wouldn't have caught me dead out there - the slopes were lethal....
snow report
Thanks for that Pam! Can't rely on anything good from lift company then Smile not really a surprise though. I'm lucky in the sense I'm at 1850 and can try to get myself first in line to the glacier (and maybe get a few runs before everyone arrives). I'll probably buy a pass by the day and just go when the higher slopes are open. Doesn't look like it will be much fun for anyone staying in any of the satellite resorts around Alpe d'Huez. I can see some of the area with webcams but then other cameras are off (strange that!).
ski holidays
Millom wrote:
@rob@rar, the perspective is completed different depending on whether you are a paying customer rather than someone who has a place in the Alps or is doing a Season.
Sure, I appreciate that. Skiing in December (and April) runs the risk of poor snow, especially if it is unseasonably warm, so people booking holidays should pitch their expectations accordingly and perhaps book a resort which offers access to high terrain as a bit of an insurance policy. I'm reading so many comments about how terrible it will be, few of which match my experience of what I've been skiing on over the last couple of weeks. Yes it's a poor start to the season, yes the forecast for the next week is not great, but there is enjoyable skiing to be had.

Just my two penneth worth, from somebody actually in the Alps at the moment.
latest report
The answer is 42
snow report
I'm looking at webcams, I'm seeing white and I'm seeing people skiing. What's not to like? Perfect knee-high powder conditions it ain't, but it's definitely snow.
snow report
Finally someone not on the misery wagon. Hallelujah
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar, and somebody who seems to have an apartment to rent!

Hope you're not talking your rubbish with anyone who is renting with you over the next few weeks or in early January (if conditions haven't improved) because they'd have every reason to take offence!

If conditions do not improve by January I do hope this isn't impacting on your revenue Mad or with your attitude perhaps I do.
snow report
@Millom, OK, revel in your misery if you want. Don't come to the Alps. It's crap.

Is that better?
snow report
Skiing conditions were totally brilliant in Val Claret when it was "Not The Pre Season Bash Again" a couple of weeks ago. Everybody was chuffed to bits to be there.
Miles and miles of pistes with, much of the time, nobody on them but us!
Looking at the Cam, it looks pretty well exactly the same now as it was then.
snow conditions
@admin, don't be so bloody positive. It will upset people.

wink
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, "What's not to like?" that's just as bad as rob@rar I suppose you also have some self-interest in the Alps (have somewhere you rent out too do you). I just hope normal holiday makers don't listen to this sort of nonsense and listen to someone like Pam who actually says things as they are without all the self-interest b******s.
ski holidays
Some people are glass half empty. They know who they are. They can sit and moan about lack of snow/global warming/whatever they want whilst the rest of us laugh at them and go skiing...
ski holidays
@Millom, try the Samaritans honey...
latest report
@admin, as pointed out by some sensible people on here, a couple of weeks from now could be A LOT worst than a couple of weeks ago. Conditions now are not even like a week ago based on the Tignes/Val thread?!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 14-12-15 13:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Millom, man, you're pretty cross today! Can you cancel and take a winter sun holiday somewhere? Might be better for you.
snow report
don't feed the troll...
snow conditions
@hollando, yes, good point!
ski holidays
Millom wrote:
@rob@rar, and somebody who seems to have an apartment to rent!

marked as 'not available' until 10th January on the website link, so presumably not someone trying to get someone in for next week or even the following 2 weeks.

I appreciate your comments though, your miserable approach has annoyed me slightly so I'm now determined to find somewhere next week and enjoy myself Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy