Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WHEN Will it (Next) Snow in the Alps??

Poster: A snowHead
@rob@rar it was an agency, shouldve gone by bus, not sure rn where exactly. somewhere in oland though.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
drvosjecha wrote:
... for god sake people are riding bycicles around mountains currently.
In some places that is sadly the case, but certainly not everywhere. I've skied since the beginning of December (on a mix of nature and manmade snow) and had some perfect pistes to ski on. Conditions have slowly deteriorated as the month has gone on, but fortunately the manmade snow has meant that skiing on the higher slopes continues to be possible, and for me it contributed to some very enjoyable time in the mountains Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@drvosjecha, this argument won't be settled in the next couple of winters and last time I looked, the season in the resorts we speak of is 9 days old. Let's revisit the argument in 20 years. I'll buy you a beer in deference to your greater wisdom if there are no longer any European ski resorts below 2000m. Deal?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
drvosjecha wrote:
@rob@rar it was an agency, shouldve gone by bus, not sure rn where exactly. somewhere in oland though.
Sorry you felt the need to cancel. Unfortunately too many people have had very poor (or no) snow conditions this month.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sugarmoma666 again you are mentioning costs. okay i get it, and ive said it, there are costs, but there is an income too, right? so dont be sarcastic if you dont know basics, and that is that there are 2 sides of a coin. 20 yrs ago, there was 0$ spent on making snow, the cost was maintenance and grooming. now we have snow cannons in the equation, which raised the cost but kept the money flow, but sure as hell its no profit as it used to be. and building a hall is also very expensive but such is a trend apparently.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@drvosjecha, why are many resorts investing more and more in snow management? This includes ground clearance, changing the terrain, buying expensive piste-bashers, re-routing drainage, installing snow-making equipment and control systems, etc, etc? Is there some industry-wide myopia that is blinding everyone except you?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
drvosjecha wrote:
@sugarmoma666 again you are mentioning costs. okay i get it, and ive said it, there are costs, but there is an income too, right? so dont be sarcastic if you dont know basics, and that is that there are 2 sides of a coin. 20 yrs ago, there was 0$ spent on making snow, the cost was maintenance and grooming. now we have snow cannons in the equation, which raised the cost but kept the money flow, but sure as hell its no profit as it used to be. and building a hall is also very expensive but such is a trend apparently.

What was the cost of a lift ticket 20 years go?

What is it now?

Is that an increase or decrease based on inflation?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mike Pow 20 years ago isnt 200 hundred years ago. there was no such inflation as it is in zimbabwe or as it was in germany lol.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob@rar and you approve all of that? how is this cheaper and/or more environmentally friendly than indoor ski areas? changing the terrain jesus, and some of you claim that building a hall is expensive. smh
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@drvosjecha, and similar conditions 1989, 1990, 1954, etc, I suspect you are just too young to have perspective
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@drvosjecha, I'm hesitant to get sucked into this argument because you are so obviously trolling. But.... You seem to forget that lack of snow at Christmas time is nothing remotely unusual. Resorts make their best guess as to when they are likely to have enough natural snow and use snow cannon to extend/guarantee the snow. I very much doubt anyone is having any doubts about the long term future of their business model.

As for fridges versus 'real' skiing your argument is utterly daft. The market for skiing in fridges is extremely limited. The majority of skiers I know have zero interest in it. I won't travel 50 miles to ski in a fridge, so why would I travel 1000 miles to do it? You could argue that ski resorts might also build the odd fridge to entertain punters in the summer months, but otherwise they are irrelevant to the skiing industry in France, Austria etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
drvosjecha wrote:
@rob@rar and you approve all of that? how is this cheaper and/or more environmentally friendly than indoor ski areas? changing the terrain jesus, and some of you claim that building a hall is expensive. smh
Is your objection for environmental reasons or financial reasons? I appreciate that English isn't your first language, so my apologies as I don't understanding your point.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snoozeboy it would take 200 cm dump in val disere right now to make season average so far and situation may be even worse elsewhere. so i dont think that odds are in your favour.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar more economic but either way, this isnt sustainable. building a hall and a fridge and maintaining it may be slightly better idea than changing terrain and praying god for low temperatures + taking care of snow cannons.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@drvosjecha, One question - Are you a vegetarian?? Serious question
snow report
drvosjecha wrote:
@rob@rar more economic but either way, this isnt sustainable. building a hall and a fridge and maintaining it may be slightly better idea than changing terrain and praying god for low temperatures + taking care of snow cannons.
It seems that a large number of ski resorts don't agree with you.
snow report
@PaulC1984 level 7 vegeterian. i eat nothing that causes a shadow.
snow report
drvosjecha wrote:
... i eat nothing that causes a shadow.
Laughing
snow conditions
@rob@rar rome wasnt built in a day, give it a time. dont expect such things to change overnight.
snow conditions
drvosjecha wrote:
dont expect such things to change overnight.
I promise to not hold my breath. But one day I'm sure all ski resorts will have a network of snow cannons.
ski holidays
drvosjecha wrote:
@PaulC1984 level 7 vegeterian. i eat nothing that causes a shadow.

Im glad you state so, as preaching global environmental factors, but then eating meat (which is primary cause of global warming) would be hypocritical Happy
snow report
@foxtrotzulu myself and many other wont travel across europe to ski fake snow surronded by mud and dirt whilst skiing in short sleeves. no thanks. i am giving you reality check, not trolling i havent insulted anyone here so be cool.
snow conditions
@PaulC1984 ill keep that in mind while eating my ice cubes.
ski holidays
drvosjecha wrote:
@foxtrotzulu myself and many other wont travel across europe to ski fake snow surronded by mud and dirt whilst skiing in short sleeves. no thanks. i am giving you reality check, not trolling i havent insulted anyone here so be cool.

Thats alright, I don't feel insulted - we all have our own opinions, all are cool
ski holidays
drvosjecha wrote:
@PaulC1984 ill keep that in mind while eating my ice cubes.

I hope they were only made naturally?!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
drvosjecha wrote:
...myself and many other wont travel across europe to ski fake snow surronded by mud and dirt whilst skiing in short sleeves.
So choose a different resort. I've skied for the last four weeks and had a very enjoyable time. Made some nice turns, caught up with some good friends, enjoyed magnificent scenery, picked up a bit of tan, enjoyed some nice food, celebrated Christmas and now I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. Would have liked better snow, but had enough to enjoy myself.
latest report
@PaulC1984 always and forever.
snow report
drvosjecha wrote:
@snoozeboy it would take 200 cm dump in val disere right now to make season average so far and situation may be even worse elsewhere. so i dont think that odds are in your favour.

Oh, I wasn't expecting odds. More an evens bet, if I lose I buy you a beer and vice versa. However, if you're offering odds, I'll gladly accept them. See you in 20 years.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sods law and many forecast models say this weekend, which is going to be so ironic after the holidays and what could be the busiest transfer day of the year, but I don't think a repeat of Snowmagedon of last year??
latest report
@drvosjecha, but it doesn't take 200cm to make a huge difference in skiability.

200cm of compacted piste is generally no better than 50cm ...

rolling eyes
snow report
Roughly 50% of all pistes in the Alps are now covered by snowmaking, up from 1% twenty years ago. In many resorts, local councils and local businesses help to subsidise the costs of snowmaking. Resorts, businesses and skiers clearly like snowmaking. It's not going away.
ski holidays
drvosjecha wrote:
I'm not interested in that sort of skiing either. That's why I go skiing in Feb/March. Just because the snow isn't reliable in December is hardly a reason to ski short, flat runs in a shed.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/JKZEYWZ4BvM

I'm nursing a semi.......
snow conditions
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

I'd prefer a crowded 200m slope in a fridge Toofy Grin
latest report
Getting back to the thread - now that ChamonixMeteo has it in their forecast I'm going to stick my neck out and say Thursday 31st for snow (probably)
snow report
JamesN wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

I'd prefer a crowded 200m slope in a fridge Toofy Grin

More chance of hiding a semi in a crowd... wink

Mind you, that skiing looks like great craic!!
snow report
Where's the shot of the drone slamming on to the slope three feet from one of the skiers?
ski holidays
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, Laughing I was going to say that. @drvosjecha, I have skied in the past twenty years, and longer, and I know there was snow making in a lot of resorts 20 years ago. Certainly real snow is way more fun than skiing where there is very little snow, but thankfully due to snowmaking it means we can still ski and ski well. The very idea of skiing in a snow dome instead is awful. Can't see your idea taking hold.
snow report
Looks like Yout tubes fillin gup with 'em

http://youtube.com/v/UxFjSFVSkYs

http://youtube.com/v/A_vXH5cfWIA

http://youtube.com/v/nPowB2RwLuk

http://youtube.com/v/RPvub2HcFQk
ski holidays
snoozeboy wrote:
There are also many other biases amongst Snowheads - those who love/hate the-one-eyed-people-in-the-next-valley etc.

Oi !!! Keep me out of it Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy