Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2015 / 16

Poster: A snowHead

Today we were skiing the Furano resort in central Hokkaido. They had less snow from the storm the other day than in the west. However, 'less' is still relative and out of the backcountry gates we were skiing fresh tracks in knee deep perfectly spaced silver birch glades on a rather pleasing 30 deg pitch for most of the morning. Things became tracked out as the day went on and as temps rose slightly, the snow gained a more European feel Wink

A good resort and a bit more pitch than Kiroro but still flat at the bottom.

Here's the Rabbit making the most of the above mentioned glades later today.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
musehead wrote:
@Sharkymark, Did you fill in the forms, get the armbands etc for going out the gates in Kiroro? I heard from someone it's a very long winded process at the start of the day, so instead just lapped trees inside the resort boundaries.

We spent most of the day outside the gates. A lot of the inbounds tree lines got tracked out pretty quickly (although we still got freshies off the central chair after the other lifts closed) Not a compicated process to get the wristbands, although it wasn't immediately obvious which form we wanted as there's ones with maps of various different areas. Might be an issue some days if there's a bit of a queue though (we did a couple of warm-up runs before popping back to the centre.)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, you need the BC gates for the good stuff!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Here's admin and Norrona the Rabbit flouncing about in the silver birch glades towards the end of today.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999 wrote:
Grinning wrote:
It was sweet a couple of weeks ago: Niseko briefly, then Kiroro, Kokusai, Asahidake and Furano...
memorable:
Hokkaido short edit from Grinning
https://vimeo.com/154908420

Damn that looks fun!

Lucky with snow for first five days of face shots then the wind came in and wrecked anything unprotected but five more days of sniffing out adventures. Great to have some rough with the very smooth - being blown off Asahidake was a curiously pleasant highlight - bags of atmosphere.

Envious of Sharkymark et al nonetheless - eat it up...

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 22-02-16 15:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's just not the same without the yellow pants.

And Custardeo has sold right out.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Well, the promised tropical weather system has arrived and Japow has become Wales: full depth thaw from base to peak here in Furano and light rain to make everyone even happier. It's set to last for another 24 hours or so before returning to normal. In the meantime, a horizontal beer or two...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Said it for a long time, when the Gulf Stream & Jet Stream wee wee off from our shores Wales becomes the Powder Capital of the World wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Onsen time Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mike Pow, Either that or we show Furano how to party
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Where are you staying?

Keep a look out for an Aussie mate of mine, Jack. Top bloke. He'll show you the goods on the mountain. He likes a drink.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hotel Sunfurnaton or something like that. We're moving on tomorrow whilst the weather's still bad back to Sapporo. Monday night in Niseko then see what's occurring
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The weather has become even more Welsh today so we escalated the cultural activities accordingly Very Happy

We left Furano in heavy rain this morning. The main gondola was closed and it looked like no one was on the hill. On the way back to Sapporo, widespread thaw although there is still an astonishing depth of snow everywhere; far more than I've seen anywhere else, bar perhaps once Fernie and 'that' week in Arraba.

However, the temperature is now dropping and the forecast is for snow to return. We'll be heading to Niseko tomorrow for a couple of days then see what happens.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Said cultural activities...all three of them Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was in Niseko 2008, it snowed everyday for 5weeks then stopped for 3days the carried on for the remanding 5days I was there. Amazing place unreal experience
latest report
Great!
ski holidays
News just in; it's started snowing again in Sapporo! Hopefully this is the end of Wales for the rest of the trip. Time to celebrate with a vending machine beer
snow report

Someone turned the taps on...kapow! We're back in action snowHead The weekend's rain damage is steadily being repaired.

Today we were skiing at Rusutsu. We expected dust on crust but with the high winds and persistent heavy snowfall, what we got was boot deep super cold smoke on the Isola Peak. The east peak was stripped blue ice in places. The terrain is epic: long perfectly pitched glades. Another foot and it will be right up there.

Here's the Rabbit almost hidden by falling snow.
ski holidays
so so jealous.
latest report
Just arrived in Furano after a delayed flight and missing our bus transfer so ended up taking a couple of trains - the final "local" train was amusing with a blonde wife... We raised a bit of interest, that's for sure!! Looks like the rain has done some damage here but it's bloody freezing now and snowing hard, so hopefully find something ok in the morning...
snow conditions
[SNOWREPORT#NISEKO] 1am and it's absolutely chucking it down! There's a good few cm on the ground already.
Sharkymark's epicometer is gonna be off-the-scale tomorrow snowHead
snow report

News flash: here's Niseko this morning. The epicometer is off the scale snowHead

snow conditions
@Dashed, you must have some freshies in Furano by now too? snowHead
ski holidays
Not really - pistes were good but not enough fresh to cover the hard stuff once you got into the trees. Please don't crap out on us Japan!! My FB feed was full of epic videos and photos of mates out here last week!! I really don't want to spend my honeymoon skiing pistes in Japan, doesn't matter how good they are! Sad

Another day finding our ski legs tomorrow then 8 day back country guided so high hopes the guides find us the money shots!!
snow report
If the guides can't find you the goods after a day or two then bail Central Hokkaido and head to the Shiribeshi region of SW Hokkaido

This is off the gondola at Niseko Grand Hirafu

3 Runs Through Miharashi, 16 February 2016 from 360niseko
https://vimeo.com/155486201

http://360niseko.com/3-runs-through-miharashi/
ski holidays
We were also in Grand Hirafu today, and that video pretty much sums it up. Hasn't stopped snowing for two days and it's getting heavier Happy Top lifts closed and we were through to the crust below here and there, but there were plenty of face shots to be had. I'll let Sharkymark add pic of the day...
ski holidays

No

Words

Needed

Well, alright, two words. I'll only print the second:

EPIC

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report

Here's the rest of that bounce: as U can see, there really is that much snow! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[SNOWREPORT#NISEKO]1am It's only snowing lightly at the moment although 6 inches has fallen on the car since we parked it at about 7PM snowHead
snow report
Grinning wrote:
It was sweet a couple of weeks ago: Niseko briefly, then Kiroro, Kokusai, Asahidake and Furano...
memorable:
Hokkaido short edit from Grinning
https://vimeo.com/154908420
I can't seem to turn this off, it comes on again every time I open the thread. Any idea why? I can't even turn the sound off. Lovely as it is, I've had enough of it now. (Not noticed this happening with any other vimeo vid I've watched.)
latest report
@Hurtle, it's the page/thread itself that is playing the background music, not the embedded videos from Vimeo or Youtube. I detect the Hand of Admin...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 16-02-16 20:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@rob@rar, oh, is it? I thought it was Grinning's video. That music is driving me NUTS!
latest report
snow report
@Tubaski, so how do I stop it?
ski holidays
Tubaski wrote:
@rob@rar, @Hurtle, Nope it is [b]Grinning[\b]'s vid
I'm sure I heard the music play on the previous page of this thread, as well as this page?
ski holidays
@rob@rar, yeah, because that's where the video was posted.
latest report
@Hurtle, oh, so why is it playing on this page as well?
snow report
@rob@rar, my fault, perhaps, because I quoted Grinning's post
snow report
@Hurtle, on a computer you can click the tab and select "mute tab" to silence it, don't think you can do that on a phone though.
snow conditions
Nnngghhhh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy