Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2015 / 16

Poster: A snowHead
I'm heading to Hokkaido 10th-23rd January (areas around Niseko, Sapporo and Furano).

I've been checking the forecasts and reports obsessively since mid-November. I understand it should be cold and very snowy from about now onwards. Should the warm/dry forecast worry me??

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@musehead, I'm going be there from mid Feb, so I'm doing the same. As I understand it the season for heavy snow is quite short from mid Dec to early Feb. One of the local experts will be along soon to hopefully set our minds at rest.

Btw: that looks like a Snow-Forecast snow report, and I have never seen an accurate one yet.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 8-12-15 19:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@musehead, not if you are not going to late January.

Due to get a lot colder too.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=42.8&lon=140.6833

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-daily-snow-weather-reports/niseko-now
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's been terrible at Kiroro Resort

Monday 07 December 2015

http://youtube.com/v/0mm6cU5luwg

Tuesday 08 December 2015

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah looks terrible! lol
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When The Lad spent a season in Hokkaido two years ago everyone there used to agree that Snow-Forecast were always wrong.....because their model hugely UNDERESTIMATED each and every snowfall. Their model/program just does not work for the "sea-effect" dumps that come from Siberian cold air.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rungsp wrote:
When The Lad spent a season in Hokkaido two years ago everyone there used to agree that Snow-Forecast were always wrong.....because their model hugely UNDERESTIMATED each and every snowfall. Their model/program just does not work for the "sea-effect" dumps that come from Siberian cold air.

+1

But it is very accurate on wind speed & direction and the freezing level.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We generally looked at the Snow-Forecast prediction in cm's as the snowfall per hour. Seemed to be more accurate that way.

Looks like a fair bit of rain in Hokkaido over the past day or so Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Down low.

Snowing up high Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SATURDAY 12 DECEMBER 2015

Light rain and wet snow overnight turned to a cold, clear bluebird day at Kiroro.

A little granular down low but great packed powder off the Nagamine lift.

The off groomed had a light sun crust on it with a 1cm rain crust about 10 cm down into the snowpack.

Could be problematic with next storm cycle.

Tracy

Unknown skier

Tracy

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks you got some mild and stormy weather headed your way Tuesday followed by a steep drop in temperatures.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep. Looks like normal service resumes from Wednesday Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MONDAY 14 DECEMBER 2015

Still waiting on the snow.

In the meantime bluebird bumps and groomers for Tracy and me.

http://youtube.com/v/S2ULQMZG3Vk

Tracy skiing Nagamine 2-C

One of the clearest days I've had at Kiroro.

You could see all the way to the Shakotan Peninsula around 50km away.

Tracy skiing Asari 2-A with Yoichi-dake in the background

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
God that looks lovely and so quiet! When does Kiroro get busy? Mike I was hoping you could give me some advice please?

I am planning a trip in 2017 either Jan or Feb - it's my first time and I want it to be epic. I am probably travelling on my own (for the snowboarding part of my holiday) so bearing this in mind would I be best off in Niseko as I am more likely to find reasonable accommodation and doing a day trip or two to Rusutsu and Kiroro or is Niseko just horribly busy, would I be better off finding accomodation in a different quieter resort? I don't drive by the way so would be relying on public transport or similar?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sparklingly clear photos!
latest report
Mmm, that looks NICE (even if it's hard-packed). I won't make it to Hokkaido this year, but looking forward to some Niigata/Nagano turns in the new year Cool
latest report
Minion1980 wrote:
God that looks lovely and so quiet! When does Kiroro get busy? Mike I was hoping you could give me some advice please?

I am planning a trip in 2017 either Jan or Feb - it's my first time and I want it to be epic. I am probably travelling on my own (for the snowboarding part of my holiday) so bearing this in mind would I be best off in Niseko as I am more likely to find reasonable accommodation and doing a day trip or two to Rusutsu and Kiroro or is Niseko just horribly busy, would I be better off finding accomodation in a different quieter resort? I don't drive by the way so would be relying on public transport or similar?

It's very quiet at the moment. Mid-week, pre holidays. But Kiroro is quieter than Niseko United, Niseko Moiwa and Rusutsu. If the top lifts are on windhold then the resort can be busy, but otherwise no queuing all day.

There's certainly more accommodation options - at all price points - and nightlife in Niseko Hirafu.

If you're solo and it's your first time to the area then basing yourself in Niseko Hirafu could be the go.

Then do day trips to Niseko Moiwa, Rusutsu and Kiroro via public transport or organised trips.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Sparklingly clear photos!

Thanks. New lens - Canon 10-18 mm.

And more importantly I took a course with Timothy Allen of Human Planet fame over the summer and learned so much both 'in camera' and post-production.

http://humanplanet.com/timothyallen/workshops/

Highly recommended.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, the new glass and the investment of your time both well worth it! Looking forward to more photos from Powder Central this winter.
snow report
ChrisWo wrote:
Mmm, that looks NICE (even if it's hard-packed). I won't make it to Hokkaido this year, but looking forward to some Niigata/Nagano turns in the new year Cool

The pistes have been in excellent shape.

And the ungroomed cut runs are firm but with a layer of 'sandy' snow on top. Great for improving skills and fitness in preparation for powmageddon Wink
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
@Mike Pow, the new glass and the investment of your time both well worth it! Looking forward to more photos from Powder Central this winter.

Cheers.

Le powjolais nouveau est arrive! Smile
snow conditions
Laughing
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:

It's very quiet at the moment. Mid-week, pre holidays. But Kiroro is quieter than Niseko United, Niseko Moiwa and Rusutsu. If the top lifts are on windhold then the resort can be busy, but otherwise no queuing all day.

There's certainly more accommodation options - at all price points - and nightlife in Niseko Hirafu.

If you're solo and it's your first time to the area then basing yourself in Niseko Hirafu could be the go.

Then do day trips to Niseko Moiwa, Rusutsu and Kiroro via public transport or organised trips.

Thanks for the advice and information Mike and also your amazing pictures Smile
snow report
THURSDAY 17 DECEMBER 2015

38 cm in the past 24hrs at Kiroro

Old Man Winter Returns on Thigh High Thursday

http://youtube.com/v/zoGt19UC6eE

And he's here to stay Smile
snow report
Awesome!!!!!
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, Excellent work that man. Next time with a helmet mount?

Still a couple of months before my first trip to sample some Japanese Powder.
latest report
Good vid.

Makes the Alps look rubbish once skied.
snow report
I'm so intent on visiting Japan in 2017, wish I had though of it in May when I booked up another alps trip, it didn't even occur to me to look at Japan. I'm not saying this because of current conditions as I am sure I will have a good time in the alps in Feb but Japan just looks so amazing and not just the snowboarding but the whole experience. Please keep these reports coming so I can live vicariously through your amazing videos and photos Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PowderAdict wrote:
@Mike Pow, Excellent work that man. Next time with a helmet mount?

Still a couple of months before my first trip to sample some Japanese Powder.

Thanks.

Helmet mount gets plastered after about two turns and all you see is grey Smile
snow report
FRIDAY 18 DECEMBER 2015

23 cm in the past 24hrs at Kiroro

Face Shot Friday Part Six

http://youtube.com/v/hJPEQysKBh8
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, Now you are just rubbing it in Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I am going in Feb 2016 - traveling alone so booked onto a backcountry tour with BD Tours for the snowboarding bit of the holiday.

Will be watching this thread with interest! snowHead
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
I am going in Feb 2016 - traveling alone so booked onto a backcountry tour with BD Tours for the snowboarding bit of the holiday.

Will be watching this thread with interest! snowHead

See I am really not sure about booking a tour as I really like doing what I want to do on that particular day and also worry that I may not be anywhere near as good as others on the tour. Out of interest how much have you spent sorting all this out on your own? I am either going alone for the entire journey or a friend who wants to visit Japan but doesn't board may meet me in Tokyo where we can then spend a week doing stuff. If I go alone I only want a few days in Tokyo and about 10 days boarding,. 'd really love any tips or advice you could offer seeing as you're all sorted for February, maybe by PM or a new thread as don't want to clutter up this one. I bet you'll have a wonderful time and all this El Nino stuff doesn't look like affecting Kiroro so far!
snow report
@Minion1980, i'm booked on the same tour with BD Tours as @kat.ryb, but the January version. Plus a couple of days of free-skiing either side. I will report back on my experiences in late January when I return.
latest report
SATURDAY 19 DECEMBER 2015

13 cm in the past 24hrs at Kiroro

Tweaked a knee yesterday so having a few days off.

PowderZone opened for the first time yesterday and Tracy and Mika got the goods.

Richard Smith pics

Tracy

Mika

ski holidays
Mmmmmmmmm Very Happy
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, a new take on snorting white powdery substances!!!
snow report
I'm going to be in Niseko mid Jan, is it worth a day trip to kiroro?
latest report
lazydog wrote:
I'm going to be in Niseko mid Jan, is it worth a day trip to kiroro?

IMHO, 100% yes.

And also Niseko Moiwa and Rusutsu.
snow report
I'm actually staying in Moiwa for a few days, hopefully less busy than Hirafu will be at that time of year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy