Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Bags for Airline Travel

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready for my first ski trip abroad (excited! Very Happy)! I would like to ask for advice from the Snowheads community regarding ski bags for airline travel. I want to bring a pair of piste skis, quite short (150cm), and my issues are as listed below:

1) Hard case vs soft case: I have been recommended the Sportube - but someone has said a padded soft case with rollers should be sufficient.

2) Single vs Double ski bag: At the moment I only have one pair of skis to transport, but some people have advised me that if I get a double (eg. Sportube 2) I can get my clothes in as well and just carry it in the airlines as one luggage - thus saving the cost of adding a ski bag on top of my normal luggage, which most airlines these days charge extra for.

What is more practical/cost effective? I don't know about lugging a large Sportube 2, in terms of the ease of manoeuvrability in the airport and taxi, etc. for a petite female. But then again, lugging a Sportube 1 AND 1 suitcase might not be any easier... Puzzled

Hope my questions are clear. Looking forward to your opinions/advice.

Thank you very much in advance. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Double bag that can cinch down to a single bag. If you are going to use it a lot, then make the investment for a douche bag. I paid around 200 EUR and ordered on Amazon from Germany. No regrets. Esp if flying the cheap airlines, it's a way to keep your stuff safe.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The vast majority of people use soft bags (I do) and I've never heard of skis being damaged in transit. it can be cheaper to just book a ski bag and on say Easyjet that has a 20kg limit. Your skis, pole and bag will weigh about 7kg so that gives you plenty scope for carrying clothes. But most ski bags will be a lot longer than your skis. The bags themselves aren't normally rigid so you might find a fully loaded double wheelie fairly difficult to handle. 20kg in a roller ski bag puts a lot more weight on your hand than 20kg in a normal luggage bag with extending handle. I think you'd find it easier to walk through an airport with you skis in a short, light bag on a shoulder strap and your other luggage in a wheeled soft bag.

Go have a play with the luggage in a ski shop then make up your mind.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use a SportTube for my snowboards, but most people use soft bags, especially for skis.

I only use the hard case because I travel a *lot* and soft snowboard bags (not the boards, the bags) don't last long. However ski bags don't get loaded up with boots and stuff so soft is perfect for those I think. Also SportTube bags are heavy, using more of your allowance.

If you want to travel internationally on scheduled flights and need a single piece (I do that...) then a sporttube starts to make more sense, if you don't mind that they weigh 6Kgs just for the bag. If you're travelling charter, well check their rules. If you're travelling on EasyJet type flights in Europe they tend to charge extra (sometimes significantly) for snow gear however you carry it, again you need to check their rules (or ask here, in which case you'll get a load of conflicting out of date advice wink ). Greyhound and people like that do tend to charge per piece, so personally I like one sub-23Kg bag for my snow gear and one backpack for carry on.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at this thread for some stuff for sale. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2786782&highlight=douchebag#2786782
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow! I hadn't heard of the Douche bag before this! Shocked Something to look into...

I've already bought a Thule Roundtrip Boot Backpack. I'm hoping that can be my hand luggage, but I'm not sure if it's the right dimensions for the cheap airlines (eg. Easy jet). Anyone tried carrying one as hand luggage?

I managed to borrow a single Sportube from a friend for my first trip, but am looking into buying my own. I reckon it's easier to carry a single Sportube than a double or a triple (Sportube 2 or 3).

From reviews it's looking like I'm either going to invest in a Sportube (maybe something larger than a single to fit more items in it) or a Douche bag. I'd like something that lasts as I am going to use it a fair bit.

Thanks everyone for your comments and input. Much appreciated! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some airlines aren't keen for boots to be taken on as hand luggage, if you are intending to have boots in your boot bag for hand luggage. Some will also have a weight limit on hand luggage. Boots with a few extra bits can be quite weighty.

Have a look at the Dakine Fall Line double. Big enough for 2-3 pairs of skis if needed. Or a couple of pairs of skis, boots and some kit. If you shop about you can get one for £60.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm not sure if it's the right dimensions for the cheap airlines (eg. Easy jet)

easyJet's website has very clear guidance on dimensions for hand luggage.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went for a 190cm Fall Line which I scored for £60 from SportPersuit earlier in the year. Got 2 pairs of skis, boots, avy kit, 2 pairs of poles and a load of clothing. Came in around 21KG and pulling it around wasn't that much of a fuss at all - especially after being dropped off st the wrong place when we got to our apartment! Everything was fine.

For the last few years I've only used a single ski bag and the bag is now very tattered but skis always survived.

I'd definitely go the route of a double wheelie, it'll act as an investment for the future should you add additional sets in, and as said above when travelling with one set of skis you'll get a ton of clothing in as well.

The douchebags are great for storage when in resort but you can get something just as good a fair whack cheaper. Do it if the budget isn't an issue!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
aewynia wrote:
Wow! I hadn't heard of the Douche bag before this! Shocked Something to look into...

I have one. Not cheap, unfortunate name, but a fantastic product. Strong, heaps of room, good protection, and reasonably light, relative to the preceding.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hammerite wrote:
Some airlines aren't keen for boots to be taken on as hand luggage, if you are intending to have boots in your boot bag for hand luggage. Some will also have a weight limit on hand luggage. Boots with a few extra bits can be quite weighty.

I just realised that. Oops. Thanks.

So I have narrowed my choices down to:
1) Sportube 3 - which can carry my boots and is quite hardy for the long haul, but more heavy and takes up space
2) Douche bag - strong, light, good protection and space saving, but rather expensive
3) Dakine fall line - strong and light, good protection (? for the long haul), and less expensive, but takes up as space as well
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Be careful about each airline's baggage policy and their different interpretations (head office versus ground crew). I had an inordinate amount of trouble trying to clarify what you can and can't take on British Airways with their H.O. Ground crew were great yhough - one big ski bag with skis, clothes etc checked in (usually as oversized baggage which is quite good actually), hand luggage (perfect for a set of boots stuffed with things) as well as a laptop bag.
My soft ski bag had backpack straps which was very convenient for longer walks to hotel, train stations etc and the boot bag was a classic wheelie carry-on airline bag. Ski bag on back, boot bag in one hand (or wheeled behind) and laptop bag in other - easy.

As for the 'oversize' classification of the ski bag, it is quite convenient in international travel. Oversize bags are not common but often have their own sections for check/pick up - which means no waiting at crowded carousals. Ground crew almost always appreciate ski bags as they are easy to handle compared to many of the other 'oversize' bags they have to handle.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I really like the pull along ski bags and have managed to get all my things within allocated baggage allowance on ba lufthansa etc and only paid for one ski bag on budget airline. Between my ski bag and and my cabin pull along I have found 3 weeks holiday for myself no problem. My current bag is a ice mountain which has fell apart after 8 holidays, very lite made I think less than 3kg but it hasn't lasted. I am eyeing up the Scott wheeled pull along (if anybody has any input I would be grateful) for a replacement.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
aewynia wrote:
I've already bought a Thule Roundtrip Boot Backpack. I'm hoping that can be my hand luggage, but I'm not sure if it's the right dimensions for the cheap airlines (eg. Easy jet). Anyone tried carrying one as hand luggage?

Highly unlikely. easyJet have a very generous hand-baggage allowances - 56 x 45 x 25 cm - while your backpack is 37 x 49 x 33 cm. You might get away with it but if the gate staff make you put it in the sizer you'll be stopped from taking it onboard and have to pay £60 to have it tagged.

hammerite wrote:

I keep reading this on here and as I and others have said it is only likely to be airport security who have a concern. In saying that the only place where people have had an issue is Grenoble. I carried mine back and forth for about 6 through Edinburgh and Stansted and not once did security say anything. In all my years of travelling I've never had my hand luggage examined by the gate staff so the airlines would never know.

haigie wrote:
Went for a 190cm Fall Line which I scored for £60 from SportPersuit earlier in the year. Got 2 pairs of skis, boots, avy kit, 2 pairs of poles and a load of clothing. Came in around 21KG and pulling it around wasn't that much of a fuss at all - especially after being dropped off st the wrong place when we got to our apartment! Everything was fine.

I've got the same bag but I'm disappointed it doesn't have any compression straps inside (or outside) so unless you pack it full I suspect the skis will slide around inside. I had a dry run a couple of weeks ago with my skis (177s) and my sons (very light) 138 K2 Juvys with both our boots and it came to well over 20kg.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WASHOUT wrote:
I really like the pull along ski bags and have managed to get all my things within allocated baggage allowance on ba lufthansa etc and only paid for one ski bag on budget airline. Between my ski bag and and my cabin pull along I have found 3 weeks holiday for myself no problem. My current bag is a ice mountain which has fell apart after 8 holidays, very lite made I think less than 3kg but it hasn't lasted. I am eyeing up the Scott wheeled pull along (if anybody has any input I would be grateful) for a replacement.

@WASHOUT, can I clarify: do you mean that you have managed to get your pull along soft ski bag to be checked in as normal baggage? I think Easyjet classifies ski bags as sports equipment and immediately charges double for the same weight (20kg) - at least that is what I found out when I checked last night. How do you get around that, or is that just a condition by Easyjet?

@Gaza, Yes I realise now that I am unlikely to get my Thule Backpack through the hand-luggage. Embarassed

I am just wondering out loud, if the airline companies would be more particular if I showed up with a Sportube, as compared to a soft ski bag, if I kept either one within the weight limit? My question really is that apart from Easyjet, would other airlines allow either/both to be cheked in as my "normal baggage" if I don't check in anything else?
ski holidays
Different airlines have different policies. There isn't one rule you can go by here I'm afraid. On the very rare occasions that I fly (the train has none of these problems!) I go with Swiss as they allow skis as part of their standard luggage allowance regardless of the type of bag they are packed in as long as you've not booked their budget hand-luggage-only fare.
snow conditions
Quote:

My question really is that apart from Easyjet, would other airlines allow either/both to be cheked in as my "normal baggage" if I don't check in anything else?

It varies by airline e.g. BA allow you to take a ski bag instead of a 'normal' bag as part of your checked baggage allowance, with no extra charge. You need to check each airlines' policy. Quite a few threads around here debating the ins and outs of various policies, if you do a search on your particular airline.
ski holidays
aewynia wrote:
I am just wondering out loud, if the airline companies would be more particular if I showed up with a Sportube, as compared to a soft ski bag, if I kept either one within the weight limit? My question really is that apart from Easyjet, would other airlines allow either/both to be cheked in as my "normal baggage" if I don't check in anything else?

If they deemed it "Sports Equipment" you would seriously risk your bag being denied transportation if their normal rules required pre-booking and/or additional costs.

I've been having a pop at easyJet about their charges for ski gear. I've argued that a 20kg ski bag does not cost them double the cost to handle compared to a 20kg suitcase. However, they have used bluster to avoid answering my query. Ironically easyJet's rules on 'normal' hold luggage suggests that a ski bag would fall within maximum dimensions:-

easyJet website wrote:
easyJet Checked Baggage Allowance

Each passenger that pays to check a bag can bring a maximum of 20kg and maximum dimensions of 275cm (length + width + height). You can check more than one bag as hold luggage as long as the total weight does not pass 20 kg.

I would love to test this sometime by taking my ski bag and filling it with clothes and "non sports" stuff and see what they say. I'd happily open it up and show the contents. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
You need a soft bag the right length or it wont work wheeling it about over rough ground/snow/ice /cobblestone as it will sag an drag then wear holes right through it.
It will sag at the 150cm point or short ski length point and ski bags are all much longer than 150cm .

So you could use a aprox 3- 3.5kg 156cm burton gig bag about £40-95 (depending when where) as with any bag you need at least one internal strap too secure the skis if no outer compression straps exist which on cheaper gig bags they don't but do have a internal.

A burton board case 156 is better (not 100% sure on this size) but is a bit heavier and more costly but good kit with more compression straps and often a secret lower deck sleave.

If the dakines presently don't have internal straps that's a big failure as they used too and are needed to hold the equipment fast in the bag connected to the shorter stiff wheeled end base .

The airlines will destroy any bag even £700 Tumis it makes no difference if its a tumi or decathlon bag they can damage it and will if you travel enough .

The most I carried was two wheeled bags and a hand luggage bag all up about 50+ kilo grams using 11 vehical forms of transport one way to get to the resort hotel ,always a long day and lots of connection logistics to get right or the trip takes longer.
On this 5am too 8-10pm multi vehical trip the bag needs to be as small/light as possible 23kg with ba ,stiff, secured and with a good end handle for all the changes and timings and rough handling as it will get beat on and ripped or torn somehow .

The heavier and /or longer they are the more chance of the bag getting damaged I find .

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 7-12-15 15:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Tirol 164 wrote:
So you could use a aprox 3- 3.5kg 156cm burton gig bag about £40-95 (depending when where) as with any bag you need at least one internal strap too secure the skis if no outer compression straps exist which on cheaper gig bags they don't but do have a internal.

A burton board case 156 is better (not 100% sure on this size) but is a bit heavier and more costly but good kit with more compression straps.

That is an excellent call. I got my son this bag - https://www.atbshop.co.uk/bags-and-luggage/burton-wheelie-gig-snowboard-bag-in-fish-blanket - in 156cm. He is a skier, not a boarder, but as we will take 2 pairs of skis each on holiday next year a single bag was never going to work for us and as his longest pair are 139s this is perfect. It has a great "secret" compartment under the main section where you can put the skis (minus bindings). The main section is well laid out with a couple of insert sections for boots and/or bindings that can be clipped in and out. This years version is here - http://gb.burton.com/default/burton-wheelie-gig-bag/F16-109941.html?cgid=snowboard-gear-bags&start=2
snow conditions
If you want a premium dakine high roller 165cm with a secret lower deck sleave and three internal zipped full length see through pockets I have one going but not cheap .
Its the older better type but in very good nick .

Really though a shorter lighter burton bag either lighter gig or board case (that the baggage guys will screw up) is slightly better but not as durable or has as much volume and protection as my older 4.5-5kg dakine high roller with the secret sleave and full length storage pockets .
latest report
The cheaper wheeled burton gig bags wont have the lower secret sleave (I have a 166 wheeled gig for sale as well as the dakine high roller and a btrn185cm .)

Over the years many of the better burton board cases did have the lower deck compartment ,not always though .
If anyone needs a 185cm with secret sleave ,also has a neoprene section panel giving overloaded ease of zipup, message me for details next 7-9 days .
snow report
@Gaza, I have to agree re: internal straps - things were a bit all over the place when we landed. My big planks are 180cm so one side was fine, other set are 166 with things packed above the tips and around them which became dislodged but not a huge drama to quickly fix before strolling out the airport.
ski holidays
I've found the quality of luggage has really dropped in the last few years. I have 3 lots of ski luggage, 2 soft & a sportube. The sportube will last & is easy to sell on ebay if it isn't needed. Last year on the bash I flew Monarch, I took a large checked in holdall (20kg), small case as hand luggage (10kg) & the sportube with 2 sets of skis(20kg), so 50kg for one person. Obviously we had to pay but with 2 sets the carriage was halved. We now have skis with Quiver Killers so could take 3 sets in one bag. All this luggage was pulled along by me on my own!
But I had to use a trolley on the return as I had a shoulder injury, I was glad I took some bungees
latest report
Aewynia. Depends on airlines, haven't traveled easyjet (with skis) for a couple of years but had a quick look on easyjet site, one normal suitcase was £42 return or a ski bag was £60 return (not sure about weight). If you wanted a suitcase and ski bag would cost £102. Weight of a pull along ski bag 2.5-4.5kg plus skis plus skis poles plus boots etc fairly adds up. I usually need a standard "free" pull along suitcase into cabin to stay under weight limit for checked in baggage. Theirs no simple answer as airlines are constantly changing baggage allowance and all are different dimensions weights etc.
snow conditions
The upside to EasyJet is that "ski carriage" includes a ski bag and a boot bag... I think it was 15KG total tho.
ski holidays
What about Lokker, anyone used them?
snow report
Fly Lufthansa or Swiss. They give u free ski carriage as well as a suitcase just go for classic fare not light and phone them to say you want to add skis to booking. BA KLM and Air France allow you to take one ski bag instead of a suitcase so taking a bigger ski bag and adding clothes works well cos you can still take a carry on and a laptop bag
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
haigie wrote:
The upside to EasyJet is that "ski carriage" includes a ski bag and a boot bag... I think it was 15KG total tho.

The easyJet website is a bit ambiguous. What they say is "Skis (including boots and poles);" - http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/sports-equipment - It doesn't say that you can have a boot bag so I'd assume that they mean boots and poles in a ski bag.

They do allow 20kg but with their policy of pooling you could have more in a ski bag:-

easyJet website wrote:
1 hold bag and 1 small sports item

Total allowance of 2 items = 40kg total (20kg each) made up of 1 item of hold luggage and 1 item of small sports equipment
You may distribute weight between items but a single item cannot weigh more than 32kgs in total.

According to this you could have 32kg + 8Kg if you had booked one ski bag and one ordinary bag. Seems fair. But what if you only want one bag? Could you book 1+1 but turn up at the airport with only a ski bag weighing 32kg? No according to easyJet CS. I've been told that if I do try that they will charge £10 per Kg over and above the 20kg allowance. Okay, that is a bizarre rule but those are the rules they have put in place; so what if I took a very small bag with a brick in it and checked that in alongside the ski bag? Silence. Then, "you have to check in the bags booked to benefit from pooling."

So that's it confirmed. I can take a second bag of any description filled with crumpled newspapers and everything will be fine. I think I might just do that. I've got an old folding bag I used on my motorbike so I think I'll put an inflated balloon in it and check it in. At GVA I'll let it down and then reinflate it for the return. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Some of your comments are priceless! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think the advice about a shorter length of bag (for my short skis) is spot on. I didn't consider it, but now that you've brought it up @Tirol 164, it will be a major consideration in my purchase, thank you. I'll also have to weigh my stuff to see if I can fit within the luggage limit.

If the helmet does not fit in the ski bag, I suppose you are allowed to put the helmet in the carry on/cabin luggage, unlike the boots?

One of my problems is that flying from Manchester has limited direct flights compared to flying from London, when heading to places like GVA. I've tried stopovers (for non-ski travels) and have decided they are not worth the wait... NehNeh
ski holidays
The big plus in favour of the douchebag is that it rolls down to the length of your skis. So, no sagging. Expensive, but rugged.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy