Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing: a cheat's guide to looking like a pro

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/features/10673801/Skiing-a-cheats-guide-to-looking-like
some usefull tips here

MOD EDIT: Renamed thread, added link to message
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try re-naming the thread and posting the link in the reply box Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Sorry

We cannot find the page you are looking for."

LOL
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Full link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/features/10673801/Skiing-a-cheats-guide-to-looking-like-a-pro.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Almost all of those points are first lesson stuff, except the skinning up, funny they are the first points, then the 7th point is how to carry your poles.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hmmm, their point 9 needs to be combined with the rules (no. 11) Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually thought the poles and skis together carrying thing looked rather clever, can tell im new to all this Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hotchy, if you're new to skiing, this is essential viewing

http://youtube.com/v/sU5cftDHOqo
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think it's a shame that you've posted the link to that. If anyone I was with needed that kind of "advice" I would not want to be within 100 miles of them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andyrew, I think you might have missed the humor somewhere along the line...

For the avoidance of doubt, why would you want to look like anything other than a local when walking around, carry a pimp stick while in a lift queue, and be a good boyfriend when accompanied by one's other half?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is also the "heliskier" where the skis are held horizontally at waist height for obvious reasons. This is a habit I have yet to acquire.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
F*** that sh*t. Torygraph has gone Buzzfeed with one uninformative sentence per page for a bollux filler article, Goldsmith must be turning in his yet to reached grave on the decline in ski journalism.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
@andyrew, I think you might have missed the humor somewhere along the line...

[irony]
Deary me rob@bar surely I don't have to put everything in tags
[/irony]
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skullie Skullie

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 6-12-15 13:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gorilla wrote:
There is also the "heliskier" where the skis are held horizontally at waist height for obvious reasons. This is a habit I have yet to acquire.

The heliskier wanders slowly somehow maintaining an air of superiority while walking in a crouch and being absolutely terrified, carrying no skis or poles.
His guide drags the skis and poles all tied together in one bunch with a bungie cord.
snow conditions
gorilla wrote:
Actually the "heliskier" holds the tips of the skis or board and drags them across whatever surface it is. That way there's no risk of anything getting airborne.
latest report
Just a modern retake on the

"On the Piste" and "Piste again" books.
snow report
speed098, Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Point 12 is something that seems to have gradually become acceptable over the last few years sadly (but still grates with me...) but not that far back would have definitely marked out the 'holiday skier' - the 'cocked wrist holding under the binding ski carry'...(as per the 'right way' image)... just grab the skis above the bindings and deploy a little bit of pinch grip. (and if your hand gets tired then rule #5 from the real rules needs to be applied!)
ski holidays
Who feckin hikes, skins etc wearing goggles rolling eyes

And to a lesser extent, helmet....
latest report
philwig wrote:
gorilla wrote:
Actually the "heliskier" holds the tips of the skis or board and drags them across whatever surface it is. That way there's no risk of anything getting airborne.

Yep was about to say same. (Its not like in the films).
snow report
@rob@rar, loved that Very Happy

My BZK goal for this season is to first understand and second master, the 'Hobo'
ski holidays
@red 27, Laughing
latest report
@offpisteskiing, I have very small hands, which is why I carry skis that way (when they need to be off my shoulder).
ski holidays
Quote:

I have very small hands, which is why I carry skis that way (when they need to be off my shoulder

My hands are not small but they are a bit arthritic and carrying a pair of skis "pinch style" is quite painful. If hooking your hand under the back binding marks me out as a "holiday skier", so be it. I am a holiday skier, after all, even if I have very long holidays. Little Angel Fortunately I am not too bothered about my "image" - I think I've grown out of being that self-conscious.
snow report
Quote:

If hooking your hand under the back binding marks me out as a "holiday skier", so be it.
+1
latest report
Not sure I've ever mastered the art of carrying ski elegantly. What amazes me is how many people, who really should know better, don't know the 'correct' way to grip a ski pole. I.e. With the strap round the wrist and up through the hand, as per the Telegraph image.
snow report
@offpisteskiing, re point 12: that pinch grip (I think) has evolved away because previously with skinny skis it was easier to grip around the whole ski, which was a whole load less tiring than trying to hold wider current skis by friction alone.

Point 11 totally holds however; clearest signal of someone who's been told the right way versus all the wrong ways.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@foxtrotzulu, I never use pole straps.
snow report
@offpisteskiing,

Oi! I've been doing that for years:

[quote]
Point 12 is something that seems to have gradually become acceptable over the last few years sadly (but still grates with me...) but not that far back would have definitely marked out the 'holiday skier' - the 'cocked wrist holding under the binding ski carry'...(as per the 'right way' image)... just grab the skis above the bindings and deploy a little bit of pinch grip. (and if your hand gets tired then rule #5 from the real rules needs to be applied!)

It's way more efficient than the pinch grip and has the happy consequence that your arm wraps round the skis and keeps them very snugly in to your hip and shoulder which is very public-spirited in ski lift crowds. With the pinch, people tend to wave the skis around or use them as a walking stick which takes up much more room. If I am away from the crowds then they'll be over my shoulder tips down. Beyond your prejudice what is functionally wrong with the under binding hook? I'm all for form following function in skiing and ski carrying
Very Happy
snow conditions
@offpisteskiing, Point 12 has become less useful as bindings are now heavier and mounted further forward so the balance of the skis is wrong and, rather than carrying them naturally at a cool 45 degrees, they are trying to twist more upright and the computer mouse-induced tennis elbow starts screaming due to the extra strain on the wrist.
latest report
@jedster (and others), its purely personal prejudice...! Happy

Mind you the under the toe binding grip doesn't work with Dynafit or Plum...
ski holidays
Quote:

Mind you the under the toe binding grip doesn't work with Dynafit or Plum...

kinda works with beasts, not as well though granted. ranger cls and dynafits are so light it all hardly matters Very Happy
snow report
I quite like the under-the-binding grip. It’s all personal preference really, I can't see what’s wrong with it. Different grips for different situations for me:
- If it’s a bit of a walk - over the shoulder
- If it’s a short walk, loads of space – pinch grip, with a bit of swing to use it like a cane/pole
- If it’s a short walk, not too much space – under the bindings.

And under the bindings still working fine for me with my Radical 2.0's.
snow report
pam w wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, I never use pole straps.

Whether you use them or not is definitely up to the conscience of the individual churchgoer and I understand that there are valid reasons for not wearing them off-piste. But, I'd argue there are good reasons to wear them (avoid dropping them and to aid poling). The 'correct' way of wearing the straps is probably less prone to dropping and certainly a far better idea when poling because you don't need to grip the handle with any significant force while still able to exert maximum thrust. Still, It's not something I'd lose sleep over.
snow conditions
I am going to do the opposite (off-piste stuff excluded) of everything the 'Graph is telling me to do in that article, for a whole week next season.

It's like the opposite of Gnar Day.
latest report
Quote:

valid reasons for not wearing them off-piste

on piste, I gave up wearing them after a friend hurt her thumb because she was wearing straps the "proper" way. I put my hands on top of the grips for poling, but mostly try to use my legs. Having watched an ESF instructor skate uphill while carrying an enormous bundle of slalom poles I've been trying to improve my technique. I do ski without poles from time to time in order to wield a video camera.
snow conditions
Quote:

- If it’s a short walk, loads of space – pinch grip, with a bit of swing to use it like a cane/pole

Yep - agree with you fix. I think one of the reasons I adopted the under the binding thing years ago is because I had a couple of pairs of K2s that were notorious for delaminating at the tails and a ski tech told me to be careful not to bash them too much. Got out of the habit of the walking cane thing.
ski holidays
Quote:

Whether you use them or not is definitely up to the conscience of the individual churchgoer and I understand that there are valid reasons for not wearing them off-piste. But, I'd argue there are good reasons to wear them (avoid dropping them and to aid poling). The 'correct' way of wearing the straps is probably less prone to dropping and certainly a far better idea when poling because you don't need to grip the handle with any significant force while still able to exert maximum thrust. Still, It's not something I'd lose sleep over.

I generally agree with all that but recently I stopped using straps altogether just because I found I was in the habit of putting them on as I skied away from the top of the lift to the extent that I would find I had forgotten not to put them on when I was offpiste - decided to go cold turkey! In practice I find I don't miss them on piste. You do need to tighten your grasp when you plant but that becomes second nature pretty quickly. I guess also I rarely pole without skating and when you skate efficiently, the poling is more about balance than thrust (vast majority comes from your quads).
snow conditions
Quote:

I generally agree with all that but recently I stopped using straps altogether just because I found I was in the habit of putting them on as I skied away from the top of the lift to the extent that I would find I had forgotten not to put them on when I was offpiste - decided to go cold turkey! In practice I find I don't miss them on piste. You do need to tighten your grasp when you plant but that becomes second nature pretty quickly. I guess also I rarely pole without skating and when you skate efficiently, the poling is more about balance than thrust (vast majority comes from your quads).

Yep, I went cold turkey too - it's not that hard to grip them hard enough to avoid dropping them, and the leather in my gloves seems to be ‘sticky’ enough to grip them easily anyway. I reckon the number of times they've been pulled out of my hands (without then pulling me over) is 2 or 3 : 1 vs me dropping them. Just a guess, I don’t keep track – but I think it’s worth it for me.

(Most recent time one was pulled out of my hands being after getting caught on the barely covered matting approaching a drag lift at Chill Factore rolling eyes )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy