Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

la plange difficult runs

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all,

off to ski la plange in the new year, and whilst challenging myself with some more of piste i'm hoping you can recommend the harder/more enjoyable pistes in resort.

Cheers,
Tom
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If they are open the two pistes from the top of the traverse lift on the Bellcote are beautiful. I cannot recall them being hard but they did offer a more mountain experience - well away from lifts and other infrstructure. Sadly I cannot recall any really challenging pistes in La Plagne.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only challenging one I found was the black piste, moguls, gown from the glacier - found it a not very enjoyable experience.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Difficult" depends a bit on your ski level and experience. The excellent resort of La Plagne offers a wide range of opportunities, but it is possible that not all of the most challenging skiing will be open that early in the season. It wasn't last year. Many of the black runs are very steep, by piste standards, and thus tend to thin cover and closure.
Go without too many pre-plans would be my advice, and enjoy what is there.

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gde rochette is a challenge. This was a red piste about 10 years ago when I did my season but has since been made black. When ski hosting I saw many on my guests, who claimed to be expert skiers, fall AOT and slide a long way on this one! It used to have a different name too. To get to it, turn left as you come out of the funiplagne station, then left again so you are basically face back down the way you came.

Other great pistes are les Inversens and les Sources.

It's an awesome and very underrated ski area. Have fun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Seem to recall two good blacks off the drag at the top right of the main Plagne Centre bowl, isn't there a traverse into one of them Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yeah there is. In fact there are three blacks that drop over the back of that ridge at the top of the Becoin lift. They aren't pisted and normally have moguls the size of cars! Everytime I took people there, they took one look over and declined the invite!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
when you've done all in La Plagne just head across to Les Arcs - enough to challenge you for weeks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1963015
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70609
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1489767

Personally, I dislike the steeper pistes in La Plagne - they tend to be very polished and in poor condition.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tom B82, There are couple of great (if short) blacks down through the trees to Les Coches. One is called Olly Murs I think Puzzled something like that.

Sadly the chances of them being open at New Year are slim-to-none

Paradiski is an awesome ski area in terms of scope, but without a doubt its big failing is the lack of decent pisted blacks.

Cross the valley and Ecreuills (sp?) is your best bet
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I remember the Le Mio and Mercedes blacks being pretty challenging. Both quite steep with big moguls.

I thought the Grand Rochette black was relatively easy, as it's fairly short..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm useless with the search function Sad

Resort was chosen for a mixed group and a really good chalet deal, so I'm just looking for the odd challenge during the week when I'm not being social Very Happy

Recommendations welcome, I was (snow allowing) planning on doing a lot more off piste this year, unfortunately I've had to reign in my ambitions as i'll be a month and a half into rehabbing a dislocated shoulder, so challenging pistes it is.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Off here in march so may try a few of these suggestions snow permitting. please feedback on how your trip was @Tom B82,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom B82, pisted runs can change from heaven to horrendous almost overnight, depending on conditions.
Hence the rather varied opinions here of some of the runs.
There are some excellent challenging runs in La Plagne - see the piste map - but some of them are frequently closed due to poor snow conditions.
Rochu and Bellecote (blacks off the side from the Traverse chair) were rarely open last year - didn't stop lots of us going down all the same rolling eyes
in icy conditions some of reds can be pretty hairy.
I'm sure you'll find plenty to keep you amused.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tom B82,

Kamikazee and Hari-Kari are reasonably challenging reds on the Verdons Sud side of the Champagny ski area. Bosse is also a good black mogul field. Monts de la Guerre is a beautiful long red into Champagny village (if it is open that early in the season), it gets a bit tricky towards the bottom but there are a number of 'chicken runs' round the difficult bits.

Mercedes on Verdons Nord usually has excellent snow and is pretty quiet, Rochette only has one difficult, narrow, steep and bumpy bit but before and after that it is fine.

Inversens and source are both good red runs from Roche de Mio, you can carry down onto the Crozats black run at the bottom of the inversens piste if you are feeling energetic. Mio is a steep and usually bumpy black which can be challenging.

There is some good skiing at the top of the Becoin lift, the 3 black pistes going down towards the fornelet / Adrets lifts are usually unpisted and can be difficult at times.
If you take the cretes drag at the top of becoin there are a few good red and blacks at the top of there.

From the Bellecote Glacier Chiauppe can be a challenging, mogully black run but is usually less busy than the red off the traversee lift.
There are also 2 unpisted blacks - Rochu and Bellecote which lead down to the Bellecote chairlift and there is another unpisted black down to the Bauches chairlift from there. That is a challenging ski area.

There's also plenty of other pistes to choose from so I'm sure you'll have a good time.
snow conditions
Will easy peasy off piste do?

Above Plagne Centre:

If you don't mind falling over there's great fun to be had in 'Walace and Gromit Land' under the Colorado chair. We think it looks much like the moon in 'A grand day out'. Not really what I would call 'off-piste' but great fun none the less.

Above Aime La Plagne:

From the top of the Cretes drag continue forwards along the track past the Gasex equipment. When you can, drop left into the bowl and continue back into the system. Doesn't seem to get much traffic and there are a couple of avoidable baby couloirs for fun.

In the Bellecote area:

Stop off at the mid point of the Bellecote gondola. Plenty of interesting options in and around the blues to the small Chalet de Bellecote chair. This also gets very little traffic and is North facing so the snow tends to remain friendly. Once you've done this a few times then continue on down the valley past the end of the chairlift. You eventually arrive at the Bauches chair. This used not to be a piste but I believe it is now - or at least an official itineraire.
ski holidays
Quote:

Paradiski is an awesome ski area in terms of scope, but without a doubt its big failing is the lack of decent pisted blacks.

This is the BEST! thing about Paradiski, that there are a good number of unpisted blacks, by description on a piste map a black is "Very difficult" a black run that is pisted is no longer very difficult and no longer a black run! (unless it has been pisted then turned into a sheet of ice)
There is an interesting itinerary that runs down the Les Arcs side of the La Plagne area, ending near the Vanoise express, ( I'm rubbish at remembering piste names)
latest report
Yes, tangowaggon, quite agree: to me a "Pisted Black" is a really a red.
ski holidays
Places where La Plange turns into La Plunge.....

snowHead
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, +1. I am another one who thinks blacks should be left largely unpisted. The only pisting should be a bit of snow management to cover bald spots etc.

I see a red piste and I want it painted black
No colors any more, I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by, dressed in their winter clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes
snow report
Oh for goodness sake surely everyone knows that La Plagne is a family only ugly flat ski resort that has massive lift queues slow lifts and no decent pistes for anything other than cruising blues ...........
wink
latest report
Nearly forgot, and no off piste at all snowHead
latest report
boredsurfin, you forgot the ghastly mountain restaurants and zero apres-ski Toofy Grin
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:
Places where La Plange turns into La Plunge.....

snowHead

Yes at first I skipped past this thread when I saw its title referring to some resort I'd never heard of, I didn't make the connection to La Plagne (just another senior moment! Toofy Grin )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy