Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off-piste in La Plagne?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I'm going to La Plagne on 15th Jan and was wondering if anyone can recommend some good areas to go off-piste? I'm not that experienced at off-piste skiing so don't want to venture that far, just some nice areas down the side of the pistes would be great. I've been to La Plagne before but can't remember any of it!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is plenty. One good one I enjoy is at the side of les Inversons run down from Roche de Mio, and you get your breath back on a slow chair up! Another is either side of the blue run Le Lavasset towards Champagny - the gully on the left is fun. Plenty from the top of Les Verdons as well. You're never very far from the piste. Enjoy!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Be careful above Plagne Soleil/Centre. Plenty of abandoned mine workings/dead ground to fall into very close to the pistes.

Not wishing to sound preachy but you don't need to get very far off the side of the piste to get into an avalanche.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies, will look at the areas welshskier suggested and if we decide to get any more adventurous than that it will be with someone local that knows what they are doing. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
where are you staying, i'm looking for accommodation in resort
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not actually sure as one of the other guys (there are 4 of us) booked it. He only booked it at the weekend though so I'm assuming there must still be places available.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want inspiration about the huge area of off piste available at La Plagne (beyond just piste-edge skiing) then look at this book
http://www.amazon.fr/clés-Paradiski-hors-pistes-bilingue-français-anglais/dp/2952249806/ref=sr_1_5/171-8124665-3070640?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191499517&sr=8-5&tag=amz07b-21
(which covers the linked La Plagne / Les Arcs areas)
It will be available in the resort at bookshops and large newsagents who also sell some books, but is not like the other off-piste books I have of other areas since it is too big to put in your pocket (or even, realistically, a back-pack).
Of course we are here talking about skiing which you would do with a guide who knows the area and understands avalanche danger. There are proper guiding companies who put people into groups to do this sort of thing, as well as individual guides hired privately who will consequently be more expensive. (Or, as you said, some of it you could do with a local you trust).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 14-12-10 15:50; edited 7 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good stuff here too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For some reason I cannot get the url above to register so you can just click on it. You will just have to copy it. I just checked - it is correct..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
troublemaker wrote:
Thanks for the replies, will look at the areas welshskier suggested and if we decide to get any more adventurous than that it will be with someone local that knows what they are doing. wink

and what happens if they get in trouble?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
troublemaker, all your answers are here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1489767
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
THE online guide to skiing La Plagne's off piste is here
http://thermique74.nuxit.net/ In french but Google Translate will help, always take a local guide.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, actually, given that you sound like you aren't that experienced off piste, probably better to take a proper guide.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, the links doesn;t work becasue of the accent over the e of "clés"

here's a shortened link

http://lyxus.net/hjlz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are so many possibilities in La Plagne that it's hard to describe them all but if you're new to the game and wanting some fun without risk the old off piste itinerary run back from the Glacier has now been designated a Black.

Check out the news Wedneday, November 24, 2010 | The new Dérochoir slope http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/News.htm#24_11_10

Earlier in the thread someone recommended the right hand side of Inversens. Don't go too far right because close to the piste is actually more fun then at the bottom of Inversens don't go back up the slow lift but head on down the black at the bottom called Crozats. It and the black Malatray all finish in the same place at Chalet du Friolin which last season was back to top form for food http://chaletdufriolin.com/index.htm

The easiest starter off-piste in this sector is from the top of the chairlift Crozats. Head back as if you are going to Les Marmottes at the crossroads you can go to the next turn then head back towards the Crozats lift. The easiest is to cross under the lift or in any case head for the Carolley restaurant by keeping left if you don't want to go all the way back down.

Finally in this sector if it snows take the blue Les Bauches back down to Friolin but cut all the corners.

Warning. Route des Bauches back to Montchavin-Les Coches is flat for 1km so only attempt this if you like cross-country

rolling eyes

Ski Happy

Here is the new piste map including Derechoir http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/PisteMap.htm
latest report
For a little bit of fun go up the drag "Z" from Plagne Centre. At the top turn left. As soon as you set off look for a ramp on the right. You need a little speed to get up it. Then go straight ahead for 20 metres until you see the entrance to the gully on the left. The first step down can be tricky. All stop there and then make sure you leave plenty of time before each person goes on because once you set off from there it is no stopping. Also if the light is poor it can be very tough negotiating the bumps Skullie First time through is a bit hairy but once you know it, it can be great fun.

The other great gully is on the right just after you leave the Arpette heading back to Bellecote. Take the right central piste and look for the entrance near the top on the right. If you've come up Arpette you'll see it on your right.

Do not attempt to go down the gully lower down that leads right back to Bellecote unless you know what you're doing because it runs out in a mini-dam at one point which can be very tricky to negotiate.

In essence both La Plagne and Les Arcs (Paradiski) are one big off-piste terrain with pistes in between. Only place to avoid at all costs in La Plagne is Salla which is a very high risk area with a frozen lake at the bottom.

If you want to do the real deal hire a guide and attempt the n North Face of the Bellecote. Maybe another year Shocked
snow report
gravystuffing,
Quote:

Chalet du Friolin which last season was back to top form for food http://chaletdufriolin.com/index.htm

But the website says change of ownership.....the new team welcome you.
Lets hope not too much has changed
snow conditions
Thanks gravystuffing, it looks like with that new dérochoir slope that is a really nice long run down from the top of la combe now. Will definitely be giving that a go.
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
gravystuffing,
Quote:

Chalet du Friolin which last season was back to top form for food http://chaletdufriolin.com/index.htm

But the website says change of ownership.....the new team welcome you.
Lets hope not too much has changed

I think that is out of date. The new team took over for last season and after a couple of seasons where I avoided the place it is deffo back on the itinerary.
snow conditions
gravystuffing, thanks for that, I'd been eying up that valley on the old piste map, if it's a piste now I'll give it a go

Boredsurfing, are you out over christmas? will try to meet up if so
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
gravystuffing, thanks for that, I'd been eying up that valley on the old piste map, if it's a piste now I'll give it a go

Boredsurfing, are you out over christmas? will try to meet up if so

First time for years we're visiting wife's family in Denmark for Christmas. It'll be really strange not to ski Christmas day. Short season guiding for the Danish company this year because the new chalet isn't finished yet Embarassed

Check out the links below to keep in touch.

Season's Greetings to all Paradiski and especially Les Coches people on the site.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy