Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half-term (13-20 Feb 2016) in Niederau or St. Johann in Tyrol

Poster: A snowHead
We have had to leave booking half-term hols. very late (thru' no fault of our own) and therefore we are having to take the pain on availability and cost through a TO.

Looking at Niederau or St. Johann in Tyrol for a family of four intermediates, two of whom (the parents) like skiing blues and reds, and two of whom (the kids) who like reds and maybe some blacks.

I think it's Fasching in one Austrian region that week. Is this likely to make either resort v busy?

Also, is the ski bus from Niederau to Auffach/Alpbach regular and how long does it take?

No doubt lots more questions about where and how to buy lift passes, hire skis etc. will follow once we have picked a resort.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dobby, it is Fasching all over catholic Europe not just one small area! Fasching = Mardi Gras = Shrove Tuesday = CARNIVAL it is the last big knees up and blow-out before Lent starts! Bavaria, Baden-Würtemberg and Saarland are the catholic German Bundesländer on half term, also some areas of the Netherlands, Belgium, eastern France as well as the Austrian province(s).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dobby
Not many regions on their hols that week, so either resort shouldn't be too bad. Especially as v few Germans are off.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117735

I'm headed to St Johann iT that week. If you self drive, it's still possible to do it on the cheap.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dobby, I've gone for st johann in Tirol that week. Better ski area than neiderau and easy links to feiberbrunn too just 15 mins on bus. St Johann is a nice town and I had the best apple strudel there in my life so always gets my vote
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dobby, sorry it is Fasching the week before (Feb 6th) I was looking at this years calendar! DUH - should be quiet-ish in either.

St Johann is broad at the bottom narrowing towards the top, but you are also very close to Kitzbühel (closer than Fieberbrunn I think) but the same All Star ski pass will get you into both areas I believe.

Niederau is nice with some long interesting red runs and the Schatzberg area at Auffach links over to Alpbach which opens up another area for you. The best person to ask about Niederau and the Ski Juwel area is carolyn who runs a thread on the place with regular updates, or chris_n, who has spent the past 2 seasons teaching there with Carolyn at the ski school in Niederau.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Samerberg Sue, I'm sure last time I was there feiberbrunn is the closest stop then kitz but hey they're both close. Got steinplatte too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Drammeister, is it a bad drive? 12-14 hours with stops?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fieberbrunn is no longer on the Schneewinkl liftpass, now that it's linked to Saalbach. There is the quiet Buchensteinwand on it as well. Some great long wide blues on the German part of the Steinplatte area. Think St. Johann more suitable for the OP.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dobby
We will leave after work on Friday about 4:30 to arrive at the tunnel about 8:00pm. Then drive to Ghent and should get there about midnight.
In the morning, I'd expect a 11-12 hour journey including a few stops (we have kids with us!). Last time it went like clockwork, hoping for the same this year.

BTW we drove back without an overnight before, 18hrs door to door, including a long wait in Calais. That was a bit much, so we'll stop somewhere this year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also, the Skiwelt is on the Allstar pass. The new Hartskaiserbahn at Ellmau is just 15 minutes away from St Johann.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Drammeister, cheers. That's the sort of trip we are looking at. Mind you, we are starting in Wales, so it'll take a bit longer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jirac18, depends on where you are staying in St Jo to be honest as the town spreads out around the base of the Kitzbüheler Horn as well. It is easier getting into Kitz with the local buses etc than it is to Fieberbrunn, however if you have your own transport it's neither here nor there in time to be honest. I find the road between St Johann and Fieberbrunn frustratingly slow at times due to the number of trucks crawling along it and the lack of overtaking opportunities. Lots of transport companies use the route instead of the autobahns to reduce the amount of tolls they have to pay, so it is fairly heavily used Monday through to Saturday evenings.

This shows the areas included on the AllStar ski pass - http://www.allstarcard.at/en/skimap.html The former Schneewinkel area is a bit more divided up now, but the area as a whole is still known as the Schneewinkel, even if the lift company co-operative has shrunk with the loss of Fieberbrunn to the Saalbach-Hinterglemm Ski Circus.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh that's a shame about feiberbrunn as I enjoyed skiing there last time I was in st johann. On the upside tho a day at elk au will be nice as I like that end of ski welt too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

On the upside tho a day at elk au will be nice as I like that end of ski welt too.

Oops on the phone perhaps? wink

I don't think the Alpen AllStar is much more expensive to be honest for a week and that opens up a huge choice if you look at the map I linked to including Ski Welt and the Saalbach-Fieberbrunn areas. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Samerberg Sue, ha ha fat fingers
latest report
@Samerberg Sue, would you be able to recommend any particular ski school at St Johann for my friends who are beginners? I see from the websites of the two main ones they only advertise full day lessons as opposed to half days which is a bit of a snag.
snow report
I thought Niederau had a reputation for being better suited for beginners but very pretty and small resort.
snow conditions
@jirac18, No I'm afraid I can't as I no longer know the schools there. I worked there for part of a season with the original Red Devils back in the late 80s (until my right knee was wrecked by someone skiing into me). To be honest all schools have to match fairly stringent rules and standards in Austria so they are all pretty good to my mind. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice so to say. Most instructors speak very good English, especially the younger ones as the standard of English teaching in the Austrian schools is fairly high. snowHead
latest report
Last time we were there, the kids were in Schischule Wilder Kaiser. We were happy with it and have booked them in again this time. They have them from about 9:30 to about 3:00, inc lunchtime supervision, which gave us plenty of time to nip off to the Steinplatte or Fieberbrunn on some days. (We gave the kids lunch money -8 euros each per day).
They have 5 days lessons plus 6 days equipment package for approx 200euros each. It is located at the bottom of the main car park a hundred yards from the main gondola.
snow conditions
you could try Kirchdorf in tirol, 4km from St Johann
Great ski school: Ski total. http://www.ski-total.at/ lots of English or Australian instructors.
can stay at Gasthof Mauth, Alpenhof, or mountain high (basic but cheap)
Ski school 9.30 to 11.30, the 1.30 to 3.30
Free bus links to: Steinplatte, Buchsteinwand, St johann
Kirchdorf has own area but limited to 2 runs plus variations, but great for few runs with the family at the end of the day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy