Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European School Holidays 2015-16

Poster: A snowHead
Here ya go:

Original in PDF format here:
http://www.resavalloire.com/InfoliveDocuments/vacances_scolaires_15-16.pdf
(although it appears that this is merely a PDF of a JPG)

And was probably derived from this JPG:
http://image-store.slidesharecdn.com/36168fad-be07-45aa-b851-2fdea6fbaa0d-large.jpeg

There is something similar here:
http://blog-vallees-ax.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/calendrier-scolaire-2015-2016.pdf
(which appears to be a 'real' PDF)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 2-03-15 14:25; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you're a hero Smile

Fasching 2016 is 4-10th Feb just to add that to the mix...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 1-03-15 21:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@altis, thank you for this! Small improvement on this year then for half term Smile

Please can a mod make this a sticky as usual? Thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Italians seem to be hard done by holiday wise Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Am I blind or is there no mention of Austria?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh no, (central) swedish february break clashes with UK, Paris etc next year Sad. Been very nice avoiding the ridiculous prices and busy pistes the last couple of years.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No Dutch or Belgium holidays to clash with UK half term next year, no Fasching and only small section of Germany - looks positive for Austria holiday 13 - 20 Feb!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just to say that the French apartment owner that I was trying to book with two weeks ago has just emailed me to say that the French government has recently decided that 2-9 April is going to be French holiday time after all. Which means he is going to bump up his price rolling eyes
Even though he had his prices up early, Think I will look elsewhere, I don't like being messed about.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just booked 26/3/16-2/4/16, quite a few places I looked at were already booked Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just did more research-basically, they have brought all their Easter weeks forward by one week from the chart at the start of the thread. Does anyone have an idea which of 26/03-02/04 and 02/04-09/04 might be cheaper for DIY-i.e. Easyjet flights out (which I suppose depends on UK holidays) and renting a French apartment (which will depend more on French hols). Yes I know we could go elsewhere than France, but we have found a great instructor in VT who the kids really enjoy so we'd to go back there one more year!
Cheers.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stickied it, and removed this seasons list.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for this @altis.

Just waiting on the school to release inset days for next year so we can book round those - I'm hoping for first Monday of Jan again so we can do quiet / cheap week in January and then take advantage of the early Easter again like this year and that way they only miss 4 days at school and we all get 2 weeks skiing Smile ,
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The French zones A. B and C are also being reorganised due to departmental and regional changes in France. Proposed changes and new holiday dates here http://www.education.gouv.fr/cid87518/calendrier-scolaire-projet-soumis-au-conseil-superieur-de-l-education.html#De_nombreux points à traiter dans le nouveau calendrier
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Austrian Christmas holidays seem to be 21/12/15 to 06/01/16. I can't see anything after 6th Jan, perhaps they haven't been released yet?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bnstott, they are released. The above list is primarily a French language one and they don't bother too much with the more easterly countries - try looking here: http://www.schulferien.org/Schulferien_nach_Jahren/2016/schulferien_2016.html

Scroll down for Austria - under Ferien Ausland

You also have to factor in the German states on holiday at that time, which area of the Netherlands, etc.

That web site will actually give the dates for any year up to and including 2019! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Nooooooooo, school have released 2015/16 inset days and there are NONE that tag onto any of the ski season holidays so we're going to have to be really bad parents and take them out for a whole week and not just 4 days. They have randomly shoved inset days not tagging onto any holidays at all the entire year which the cynic in me wonders if it's a ploy to stop people using inset day weeks as holiday extensins and thereby increasing their chances of being able to fine us as we'd be off for 5 days and not 4....
latest report
Is there any difference between the numbers that come on holidays to the 3 valleys from Zone B and C?
This year we were there 28 feb for a week and it was quiet, zone C. 2016 for the same week it will be zone B.
latest report
Thanks Samerberg Sue! Looks like just 2 areas in Austria off for Feb half-term, none in Germany or Holland. Lichtenstein is off though wink
snow conditions
Why are UK easter holidays before easter? FFS thats the week i wanted to go...
ski holidays
@kioksor, They always are.
snow report
Jumping onto this thread . . .cant seem to work out how to start new question. . We have just booked flights to geneva arriving 20 feb 2016. We thought we take kids outta uk school, but have timed it so we hit french half term and paris.

Anyone know any quieter french resorts good for kids, blues and easy reds that pistes are tooooo busy. Have to be realistic and not e spect empty slopes but don't really want manic ones. Should we look at Switzerland or Italy?
ski holidays
@Hils68, Italy would be a good bet, our area in the 4 Valleys doesn't get too many French around that time, but quite a few Dutch.
snow report
@Hils68, welcome to snowheads. snowHead oh dear

I agree with @Swissie, that Italy would be a good bet. Maybe Pila, an easy drive from Geneva through the mont blanc tunnel
ski holidays
Thanks for this. I was wondering about la thuile as an option too . . Just really looking for easy slopes for kids ( and me!) with good ski school with instructors bri g able to speak some english. Pila or la thuile . . Is there a better one for our needs?

Puzzled
ski holidays
Here's a good collection of info about most countries in Europe:

http://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu
ski holidays
For those of you who - like me - who prefer (or perhaps need) to plan things well in advance, I note that the 2016-17 version is now out, here:

https://twitter.com/ebonnel

No great surprises but I see that CH and I are now both included which is helpful. Memo to self - take March 2017 off to go skiing

I'm not a tweeter personally so am unable to download a high-res version but perhaps it should go on it's own thread in due course...

Eric - if you're reading this I salute you mon amis. If you would accept a small donation to a charity of your choice please feel free to PM me the details.

snowHead
latest report
Anyone fancy a guess as to how busy France might be for the Feb 27th week? ie the last week of the 4 weeks of the french school holidays?

Alternatively anyone recommend any good Austrian catered chalet options for the same week?
ski holidays
I can't access that link, @RobertCroydon. The two Paris weeks are by far the worst. But the regions swap around each year. I don't ski any of the French winter holiday weeks even though I have my own accommodation and a season lift pass. Id go to Italy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I assume those thoughts apply equally to the first week of the French holidays @pam w, 6/2-13/2?

What are we talking about here? Major queue-age and busy pistes?

I am confused about the pricing for that week. One place I looked at in St Foy jumped from £1,750 to £4,500 for that week. But another place in La Tania was the same price as the previous week and it was only the UK half term that was super expensive. Is this purely because St Foy is a popular resort with French nationals and Three Valleys is mainly Brits?
latest report
Hils68 wrote:
Jumping onto this thread . . .cant seem to work out how to start new question. . We have just booked flights to geneva arriving 20 feb 2016. We thought we take kids outta uk school, but have timed it so we hit french half term and paris.

Anyone know any quieter french resorts good for kids, blues and easy reds that pistes are tooooo busy. Have to be realistic and not e spect empty slopes but don't really want manic ones. Should we look at Switzerland or Italy?

about half the Dutch will be off - they took take space on the slopes, but not as much as the French...

North Holland, whose population is substantially larger than the other areas is off the week after - our week, which put me into low season prices for the accommodation I booked.
ski holidays
On a similar note, I'd like to share my inspirational idea of booking a catered chalet with a Dutch company. 13 Feb is not their peak week and we have paid £650 per head for a catered chalet with Jacuzzi etc for half term week!!
snow conditions
Good one Altis! I spent a lot of time surfing for school hol timetable. Should have thought to look here first, shouldn't I!!!
ski holidays
Damn, just realised my holiday is going to collide with the first week of half term. Here's hoping it isn't too busy
latest report
Noo72 wrote:
On a similar note, I'd like to share my inspirational idea of booking a catered chalet with a Dutch company. 13 Feb is not their peak week and we have paid £650 per head for a catered chalet with Jacuzzi etc for half term week!!

none of the Dutch are on school holidays then - - -but will it be Dutch cuisine as well? (hope not)
ski holidays
may i ask which dutch company it was...........and where
snow report
@warbis66, try chalets.nl
snow report
Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy