Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria - help please - winter tires, but not the usual question!

Poster: A snowHead
Urgent Austria question:

I am driving to Vienna today (3 month tour of Europe with my kids ☺️) and just found out its a legal requirement in Austria to have winter tyres fitted on all cars from Nov 1. The problem is that I am in a long term hire car (from UK), am already in Europe and have to return the car with the original tyres!

So, my questions to any kind Austrian dwellers out there are:

1. Can you recommend a place to have winter tyres fitted which won't cost a fortune?

2. I don't have space for the original tyres, so can you recommend how I send them to UK to get them re-fitted in January before returning the car?

I hope there's someone out there who can help! THANK YOU!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@3Point5DotsOnTheMap, just go to a garage in Austria and ask them to fit winters and store your summers for you, then swap at the end of your trip. How long are you actually in Austria for?
EDIT, on reflection, what quinton said.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 30-10-15 12:09; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ring the hire company. They will have rules regarding this.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@3Point5DotsOnTheMap, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

As Gämsbock said, I believe it's very common for garages in Austria (and Germany also) to offer a winter tyre swap and summer tyre storage service.

This site gives guidance on the rules on winter tyres for various European countries.

Note that in Austria the requirements for winter tyres to be fitted are specified for a particular date interval i.e Nov 1st to 15th April, so if you swapped back to summer tyres using an Austrian garage in January for your return journey you would technically be illegal whilst driving in Austria on your drive home. However, the rules in Germany are different - they don't specify particular dates, they say winter tyres must be fitted if you are driving on snow, black ice or roads covered in frost. So my suggestion would be to find a suitable garage in Germany on your route to/from Austria where you can store your summer tyres and choose the day of your return from Austria with a close eye on the weather forecast to make sure that the weather in Germany will be good, in which case you will be legal after you've swapped back to the summer tyres. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@3Point5DotsOnTheMap, Don't do anything about changing tyres until you have spoken to the hire company. They don't take kindly to customers making modifications to their vehicles. If you have hired from one of the international companies (Hertz, Europcar, Avis etc) they will have local agreements with suppliers and garages in Germany and Austria, as they will have hundreds of cars that require 'winterisation' each year, so hopefully they can organise something. If you have hired from a local UK company it will be more difficult, but as others have said, garages in Europe are set up for this - e.g. every car in Austria has to have the wheels or tyres swapped every autumn and spring and most are sold with 2 sets of wheels as standard.

'Winterisation' means more than just snow tyres. You'll need to consider chains or socks, a shovel, de-icer, anti freeze and screen wash that's good to minus 25, spare blanket/gloves/hat etc. What did the hire company advise when you told them you'd be driving in Europe for 3 months?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@quinton, 100% concur with that advice! It may be difficult to get any garage to change and store a set of tyres for a short period of time and it will not be cheap to be honest.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quick question...I have a company car in which the Fleet will not allow me to have winter tyres fitted. I plan to be travelling through Germany/Austria end of January using the AutoRoute's only, to the Dolomites. I will have with me snow chains and snow socks. Will I be pulled by the Police??
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Simon94, The police do spot-checks and issue spot fines in bad weather, worse still if you are in an accident your insurance could be in-valid and there are heavy fines plus liability issues (I believe). I'd argue with your Fleet provider and put them on regardless of what they say, I never even ask mine and just do it, spare set of wheels and tyres in garage, swap over weekend before I travel, put my own winter wheels/ tyres on and change back when I get home)......not using my rubber on Company vehicle when at home!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@3Point5DotsOnTheMap, question here, far too late at this stage anyway, but why did you hire a car in the UK when you would be spending that long in the continent? To me it would have made more sense to hire a car on the mainland and so be driving a car from the "correct" side of the vehicle (probably not the best way of phrasing it, but you get the idea, and could also have got you winter tyres).

Other than that, as above, see what the company you hire the car from say.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Simon94 wrote:
Quick question...I have a company car in which the Fleet will not allow me to have winter tyres fitted. I plan to be travelling through Germany/Austria end of January using the AutoRoute's only, to the Dolomites. I will have with me snow chains and snow socks. Will I be pulled by the Police??

If you get hit with serious winter weather you probably won't get there. Chains should only be driven up to around 30mph so you would need to come off the Autobahn and crawl along the A & B roads other Drivers with winter tyres would be able to drive on the Autobahn at 50mph plus. I wouldn't do it, the police is only one risk the greater risk is being involved in a serious accident. You could also have insurance implications and liability issues should you injure anyone else. It's akin to driving a car with bald tyres and dodgy brakes during wet conditions back in the UK.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 30-10-15 19:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@3Point5DotsOnTheMap,
I live in Vienna. It might be worth you picking up some second hand wheels & winter tyres then having your wheels posted back to the UK.
Conditions are not bad at the moment and it's still warm but the weather can break anytime.
Feel free to send me a private message if you need help.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all for your responses and advice. I will try to respond to to those questions returned to me!

Sitter - Don't worry! I am driving a left hand drive, as I actually hired from Peugeot Open Europe. I collected and have to return the car in London for many personal reasons, hence me saying that I had to get the tyres back to UK

TallGuyUK and Quinton - I have checked with Peugeot and they require the car to be returned with the original tyres, but have no objection to me changing them in the meantime

- also thanks for pointing out about chains, anti-freeze, etc. I had planned those in advance, but it was the actual winter tyre requirement I did not know about.

Alistair Pink - I am now in Vienna and have spoken to my Austrian host, who says that it is not so urgent to change them on Sunday, because the requirement is to have them in bad weather and none is forecast for this week! I will be in Salzburg lakes mid-week and he recommended changing them there

- a friend in Ischgl has offered to store the summer tyres for me and then take them back to UK with him at Christmas, so I can pick them up there - VERY KIND OFFER! - so, I just need to arrange a courier from Salzburg to Ischgl! * Any advice welcome *

- Samerberg Sue - I was wondering if I could find a place that would sell me good condition second-hand winter tyres, as I will only need them for 6 weeks. Are there any reputable companies who do this in Austria?

Any further advice very gratefully received Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks FreeRider. I will send you a direct message.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't seem to send a private message, FreeRider! Here's what I had typed:

Hi FreeRider
I just arrived Vienna this evening. If you saw my last post on the forum, you'll see that I only have to send the tyres to Ischgl and was already thinking about buying 2nd hand too.
If you have advice on a reputable 2nd hand place here and courier, I would be very grateful.
I was not intending to use the car while staying here, as my kids and I want to explore the whole city in only 3 days! The car is safely parked underground at the AirBnB place where we are staying. However, I could get the tyres sorted out on Tuesday on my way out of town towards Salzburg.
Any advice you can give would be wonderful.
Thanks
Patricia
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@3Point5DotsOnTheMap,

One of the tyre companies will probably take tyres off a car where the tread has worn down from 8 to 5 mm (legal limit is 4mm) but as the driver is high mileage they will get changed before hitting 4mm. I'd send an email to the tyre companies stating what size tyres you need and get them to send your summer tyres to their branch in Ischgl (or nearby) where your friend could pick them up.

you could try the big tyre outfits such as

Profi Reifen
Reifen John
Fast Box

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 30-10-15 20:17; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@3Point5DotsOnTheMap,

Sent you a PM (top right of the screen "Send/Read Messages").

DB
ski holidays
Here's a list of the tyre dealers in Vienna

http://www.lassa.at/lassa/151/reifen-handel-oesterreich-wien.html
ski holidays
To the chap going t the dolomites, you do,realise the rules apply in italy and that you're in the middle of a high mountain range in the Dolomites don't you? Yeah, you might only just be getting there and then ditching the car, but its highly dangerous to assume that you'll be ok. At our place we have snow and ice on the road through the village from december to late february/early march despite ploughing and gritting. We've had people to stay who didn't get snow tyres and they have all had trouble. Chains are too much of a faff, you'll think you can get away with it when you can't and then at best get stuck, at worst cause a serious accident. Yeah sure, its expensive. If its too expensive fly and hire as by the time you drive down theres really not much difference in price...
ski holidays
Just a quick note to say a very big thank you to DB who went out of his way to help us with this.

It is all sorted out now, thank goodness, so my kids and I can continue on our travels with no worries.

DB - all your advice and support was invaluable. Thank you.

And thanks to this forum for allowing us to get in touch!
snow conditions
3Point5DotsOnTheMap wrote:

Stick around - you'll find that there is a huge amount of snow related information here, not just winter tyres! Laughing
snow report
3Point5DotsOnTheMap wrote:
Just a quick note to say a very big thank you to DB who went out of his way to help us with this.

It is all sorted out now, thank goodness, so my kids and I can continue on our travels with no worries.

DB - all your advice and support was invaluable. Thank you.

Great, so the tyres (and wheels?) in Ischgl were a match Very Happy

Good to meet you and the (grown up) kids. Have a great time on your european travels and down in NZ.
Do keep us posted about the skiing down there.
snow report
This is why Snowheads is great. Well done all.
snow report
I would try and hire the car at a Hire company in Austria, saves hassle.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy