Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2015/2016 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
@Robert821, 10th is a long way off, and a change is forecast from new years eve evening, so worry nearer the time, not now Very Happy Very Happy

This evenings Chamonix meteo forecast

After a fair sunny Wednesday, new disturbance will be approaching on Thursday; it is expected to triggering some snowfall by New Year's Eve and Night; precipitation intensity, as well as it's rain-snow limit altitude, is still very uncertain for now. • More disturbances to come, hopefully, during the week-end and in the first part of next week, according to a schedule which still needs to be made clear.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forecast looks like change. We are in samoens from 13th and not worried yet. If webcams look the same on the 8th I'll let you know what else you can do.....until then fingers crossed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flaine today, only skiied for about an hour. Very warm, clear sky, beautiful day. Half the resort had no snow, amazing to see it so bare (sorry no pix). Many runs closed. I would not recommend the run down from Aup de Veran if you like your skis - lots of rocks. The top of the Serpentine run down from Grandes Platieres was pretty good, but less good as you get toward the bottom. if I had longer I would have stayed at the top half of the bowl in the Grandes Platieres area, using the Diament Noir lift.

Nice to be out in the mountains and out of the Geneva fog, but not good skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AP1- thanks, we are taking three kids with us and it would be such a shame if we couldn't do anything with them.

@Zorrac- thank you! Yesterday the 15 day forecast looked good but today has changed to more wet rather than snow. Realistically though, how much does it need to snow between now and the 10th for it to be good enough? I just get the feeling that the time window is getting rather short now. On a plus note, it's snowing in the Pyrenees tonight so I am told!
I'll continue the snow dancing in hope! Ski was my way of working off Christmas food! Haha!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are currently enjoying some nice hiking, went up the Bourgeoise which is the hill opposite the Criou, nice drive up the Col de Joux Plane and lunch in restaurant at the top, sitting outside. Many others were doing the same. The Fer a Cheval at Sixt is lovely, and also has a nice restaurant. There are some lovely walk between Sixt and Samoens and many picturesque villages.
You could do a day trip to Geneva or Annecy, both have lovely lakes and old towns. But hopefully it will be belting down with snow by the time you arrive!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have been doing lots of hiking as as well. Haven't skiied at all since mid last week. It's obviously a shame there is little snow but on the other hand the weather is glorious.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Robert821, I don't think it's as bad as you do! Firstly, snow is forecast for the end of the week, so things are likely to be better than they are today.

It's unlikely that you will be able to ski from Sixt unless there is a massive dump of snow in the next week or so, but you are just down the (very pretty) road from Samoens. There's an extensive parking area in Samoens and then it's up in the bubble to the beginner area which is open and it is an extensive one - not just a single drag but several drags and tapis. As a very nervous adult beginner a few years ago I spent most of the week in that area, too frightened to venture up the mountain, and have a soft spot for it. There are a couple of restaurants near the beginner area.

I'd recommend that you book lessons (we used Zig Zag), so that your beginners get off to a good start, plus instructors always know where to find the best snow.

I can't answer the question about refunds on your lift pass, sorry.

As to alternative activities, there are lots. Walking is the obvious one, but there is also horse riding, parapenting, cycling (assume someone must be hiring bikes out at the moment, as there is no snow in the valley at all), trips to visit farms (assume some of your beginners are small!) and with a car you can head out for day trips to places like Annecy, too. Samoens is a very pretty town and even has its own botanic gardens. In Cluses there is a clock museum (no idea how good it is, we've never been). So if you just look on it as a great family holiday in beautiful surroundings with at least some skiing then I'm sure you'll be fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sj1608 - I'm feeling your enthusiasm! Thank you!!
Just had a look at zigzag. I want to learn parallel ski. I've been to the snow dome back here in the uk and got to level 4 in a day but didn't have time for level 5 which was parallel ski. I'll send them a message as I think I would be level 3 proficient with them. I've tried a blue slope once and I felt a little too close to being out of control (I somehow ended up on it by mistake having started on a green!) . More control on a blue and parallel ski, I'd be more than happy with.
Excellent news RE Samoens as that's where I intended on getting us all having seen that Sixt isn't so large and also doesn't have the snow cover right now.
I'm keeping your last paragraph in my back pocket (thank you!!) and hope we don't need to use it. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WRF currently showing some reasonable looking showers for Thursday and Saturday. Fingers crossed snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Robert821, We've used zigzag for our kids for the past two years and they've been excellent.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowing at the top of gondola in les carroz, even if its a bit wet and will not be much.

Raining in the village

The front that was supposed to fall apart, didn't.....maybe the high is weaker then expected??? or moved a bit more.....hopefully
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fingers crossed that it will come to something, although most of the forecasts don't seem to think so. Snowing heavily in Flaine - we were due to go up there this evening but have been advised against it due to road conditions.

Managed a couple of hours of skiing today, but pistes pretty crowded and conditions significantly worse than Sunday when we last went out.

Went down to the valley this morning and on the way back spotted a ski bus parked in Araches in a funny place at a funny angle. As we got closer it became apparent that the rear nearside wheel had come off and ripped the bodywork above the wheel arch. Looked as if no harm had been done, but could have been much worse if it had happened somewhere different......
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Currently raining in Morillon village but hopefully it'll be snow up top to just freshen things for tomorrow
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been skiing every day bar one since 22 Dec around grand massif and have now covered all available areas and pretty much every open piste except les carroz. Conditions are just about ok still thanks to the colder nights and top ups of man made. Flaine was defo the best so far and off the grandes platieres today was super fun and a good chance to practice moguls in places. Skiing through lunch is they way to go.

Marmotte down from the top into samoens was treacherous later on very bare and stoney at top and extremely hard ice at the bottom. If you can't edge a ski or control a slide across ice then it should be avoided. Saw lots of people skiing beyond their ability and beyond what was sensible in the conditions. If you ski well and with controlled speed there's lots of good skiing to be had but it's now desperate for fresh snow.

Rain forecast for valley and village level tomoz but hopefully it'll be snow around the higher parts of the area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Out for a long weekend in Les carroz in a couple of weeks. Anyone give any evening restaurant recommendations?

Cheers

Steve.
latest report
@ringingmaster, Gron grill , wooden chalet next to the esi office for meaty things, but you need to book a long way in advance and its not inexpensive and les arielles for trad french
ski holidays
Thanks @Zorrac. Will have a go at booking. Very Happy
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, Milk Hotel, at the foot of Timalets, is lovely. That said, we always visit at lunchtimes or at the end of the day, so I can't confirm if it's only open to residents for dinner.
snow report
@ringingmaster, Piccolo, just round the corner from Carroz Immobilier, run by a lovely Italian couple. Great pizzas and great value, too.
ski holidays
Conditions on the webcams for Morillon look really bad today so giving today a miss. Final day skiing tomoz.

The rain forecast doesnt seem to have arrived yet but very mild at 800 metres currently and overcast flat light. Let's hope it snows later and overnight for good New Year's Day before heading home Saturday.
snow conditions
Also waiting for some more snow before skiing again. We are going home Sunday but back for kids half term. No precipitation yet - rain or snow just mild and overcast and as per the whole last 2 weeks not a breath of wind.
snow conditions
Can anyone update what the weathers doing up top at GM? Looks like rain on webcams and from here in village at Morillon. Seriously doubting if it's worth trying to ski tomorrow at this rate
ski holidays
@jirac18, well at 1200m in les carroz its tipping it down with rain and really quite warm, 7 degrees, but just got a powder alarm for flaine, but at 2500 metres! which is right at the very top. Cham meteo suggest freezing level is 1800m / 2000m, so top half of flaine this will be snow, and also top of tete des saix.

we are off home tomorrow, back in 2 weeks
snow report
@Zorrac, that's not good reading but confirms my suspicions. Think we may head home a day early then.
ski holidays
Carroz has looked awful on the webcams the last couple of weeks, thankfully the snow IS coming and is confirmed by many weather model runs predicted over the last few weeks. Last year I had to deal with crap skiing for a week with a major dump arriving on the day I went home, this year karma has repaid my patience with a metric-fcuk-tonne of snow the day I arrive. Cheers nameless deity. Love you x
latest report
Been skiing samoens all week, glad I brought an old pair of skis as rocks on some runs have added an extra obstacle to avoid but it's been on the whole hats off to them for managing to keep open what they have. Mornings definitely better than the afternoon slush fest but hey at least I've had my skis on wink
snow conditions
Raining at village level but looks like it's snowing up there hopefully.
snow report
Ghanny wrote:
Raining at village level but looks like it's snowing up there hopefully.

Thanks. Forecast looks good. There's 3 of us waiting for the right time to leave South London & head down there! We very much appreciate your on-the-spot reports of how well (and at what levels) the snow is settling.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brilliant updates and useful info around snow cover... Has helped settle the nerves and we are just leaving south west London ourselves as we speak!
Those of you who are regulars - and recommendations for area(s) to ski / avoid tomorrow?
snow report
depends where you are staying....webcams and forecast look good...I'm out in 2 weeks and the rest of the lads were getting nervous... I'm injured and out all season so hoping the sun decides to make a reappearance after a good snowfall.
snow report
I'm due to be out on the 6th of February. Thinking that by this date I would get away with a lower resort I booked Morrilon 1100 as it was ski in ski out for some beginners we have with our group.

What is the road cycling like around there as one of the beginners would probably prefer to hire a bike if it is that bare? Also we haven't booked transfers would we need to get a couple of cars to take us to flaine?
ski holidays
Think you will be fine by Feb. It's a great area for cycling but save that for summer, although the roads are kept pretty clear in Samoens Morillon. TDF 2016 is passing through. Loads of good transfer companies, we use Action transfers. Driving to Flaine is also easy about 1hr 15 from Geneva.
latest report
Quote:

What is the road cycling like around there as one of the beginners would probably prefer to hire a bike if it is that bare?

It's very nice in the summer, there's the Joux Plane not far away. I wouldn't bother in the winter, the passes will be closed and it will be miserable, damp and very salty/gritty. I doubt anywhere would rent out bikes in the winter anyway, the bikes will be in storage.

Even if you can't ski to the village there's lots of good skiing higher up and beginners can ski at the top of Samoens at 1600, they have better nursery slopes there than at Morillon anyway. I don't think beginners have any need to worry, it's the more advanced skiers who will run out of things to do if the snow is really poor.

I doubt you'd need a car for getting to Flaine, the lifts from Morillon get you up high enough to ski in to the Flaine bowl more quickly than driving. However, if you have the option to rent cars it might be a good idea for getting to Samoens if that is where the beginners need to go. I think there are buses, but worth checking before you finalise transport plans.
ski holidays
Apologies, misunderstood. If you are staying in Morillon, easy transfer. Flaine is easily reached by skiing. Just make sure you check last lift back across, don't want to get stuck in Flaine. Regular buses from between sixt , Morillon and Samoens. Enjoy, great area for skiing.
latest report
Thanks. I've skied in flaine a few years ago. The snow was okay there back then and the long run to Sixt was open (just). We didn't ski in Morrilon but as I knew we were linked to Flaine I thought there would still be snow if the season was bad. I wasn't really expecting this though. I was hoping it would be snowing today but seems like only above 1600m.
latest report
@Flexon, you have nothing to worry about Happy

snow report
Absolutely pelted it down at 1600 today ,almost white out gutted going home tomorrow. Nice thick snow everywhere
ski holidays
Yep we are leaving tomorrow morning as well. Always thought the snow would come the day before we leave! Still we had a brilliant time and are back half term.
snow report
I'm so glad it's changing! We are all really exited now as a family! We have been I. Touch with zigzag and will be booking our lessons next week.
The cascade run I see is closed right now. The webcam at Sixt seems stuck as even tonight it's showing blue skies! Does this amount of snow which is forecast mean that the cascade run will likely open by the 11th Jan or am I being overly optimistic. I was hoping to give it a whirl.
The weather for the week we are there (10th to 17th Jan) is looking cool, snow to start, sun to end.
We will keep snow dancing though. You can never have too much of the white gold!
ski holidays
Robert821 wrote:
I'm so glad it's changing! We are all really exited now as a family! We have been I. Touch with zigzag and will be booking our lessons next week.
The cascade run I see is closed right now. The webcam at Sixt seems stuck as even tonight it's showing blue skies! Does this amount of snow which is forecast mean that the cascade run will likely open by the 11th Jan or am I being overly optimistic. I was hoping to give it a whirl.
The weather for the week we are there (10th to 17th Jan) is looking cool, snow to start, sun to end.
We will keep snow dancing though. You can never have too much of the white gold!

As far a I can tell Cascades doesn't open all that often, and even if it does it's worth getting first hand reports to check it actually should be open.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy