Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2015/2016 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
As its under 2 months to go to season start...............................

Currently beautiful autumn colours and very mild.....16 degrees today

Season lift pass is the usual bargain, esp for under 18's, use the links below

Useful links

Weather: http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

Lift passes: http://hiver.grand-massif.com/presentation-des-forfaits

Les Carroz webcams: http://winter.lescarroz.com/webcams-les-carroz-2.html

Les Carroz snow: http://winter.lescarroz.com/our-mountain-2/enneigement-et-infos-pistes-2.html

Dates and ski conditions: http://winter.grand-massif.com/opening-dates

Grand massif webcams: http://winter.grand-massif.com/webcams

New stuff in les carroz: http://winter.lescarroz.com/our-mountain-2/brand-new-on-the-slopes.html

Hopefully a good season............

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A few autumn pictures

Timalets (with a ski company pickup going down it)

Autumn colours

View from Timalets looking at top of drag

Earthworks on Figaro, new beginners area

and a bit more

Lastly view up Plein Soleil, yes they do mow it!!

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glad you got the ball rolling and with some good photo's too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was out there last weekend and there was a nice dusting of snow on the tops of the hills, really got me in the spirit and itching to get back out on my skis. Season pass bought, roll on the 19th Dec.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its raining....got very wet walking back from a friends house......had to leave the car behind........and its got rather cold, but no snow down here

The earth movers have also managed to make a very good mud pie of figaro....... Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went for a long walk on Thursday, up to Flaine lake with some good views along the way, with some weird fog as well.

we are off tomorrow morning at silly hour, back in December..................

A bit of snow on the tops

some mist rolling in

and

more colours

a long view

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the lovely pics and info, getting me in the mood for Xmas ski holiday!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great pics! Thanks!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just been on the phone to a friend in Ballancy, just down from Araches and it was 19 degrees this afternoon.......................... Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
About 10cm of wet snow in the village, very light snow / sleet at the moment....... from my friend in Ballancy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Webcams looking good Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely looking whiter than last week!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arrived yesterday. Snow at village level and plenty more around. View from those that should know is that it is here to stay and will not disappear before Christmas. I really want to believe them but.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A very nice video clip, presumably from Ski Patrol:

https://www.facebook.com/LesCarrozOfficiel/?fref=nf
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And if you like the facebook page resorts, the pass tariff goes down every 1000 likes! Les carroz is currently at €1!
snow conditions
les carroz has a partial opening this weekend

http://hiver.lescarroz.com/vous-renseigner/actualites/297-domaine-skiable-des-carroz-pre-ouverture-5-et-6-decembre.html

and new snow park area

http://hiver.lescarroz.com/espacesludiques.html
ski holidays
Snowed at the top of gondola yesterday / early last night but rain in the village which is rather green / brown mud/ bits of snow

looks better for the 17th...a week, but could all change!

snow report
If there's no more snow before next week will the GM be open for skiing? I'm due out on 22 Dec for ten days
snow conditions
Well if there's no snow, you could buy this to take with you:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161908018175?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D161908018175%26_rdc%3D1

We picked one up at a charity shop yesterday, hoping it will act as an insurance policy! Laughing
ski holidays
@jirac18, Yes, Flaine is open now. It will just be thin like last year, still a little while to go...............
ski holidays
Looking at the web cams I have officially got the kids doing a snow dance. Not looking good and forecast remains grim news. Best pack the walking boots and enjoy our time away regardless
ski holidays
Can anybody tell me if French public holidays are considered weekends?. We are looking to buy a Happy Days pass (or two) for the Massif which provides a discounted 3 day ticket for use on two weekend days and one week day so it would be handy if I could use it Sun 20, Mon 21 and Fri 25 Dec 15. I could then purchase another for use on Wed 23, Sat 27 and Sun 28 Dec 15.

The cost of 2 x Happy Days is 171 euros, a six day pass is 205.20, a Happy Days pass and a three day pass is 200.50

Merry Christmas
snow report
Emailed the GM ticket people who advised that public holidays are not considered weekends so my Happy Days plan will need to be adjusted.
latest report
What weather forecast site can people recommend for this area? Is there one that generally gets it right? - as right as any forecast can be anyway.

We are off for new year to Morillon 1100. The webcams are not looking good and as i'm starting to get all of our gear ready for packing, I'm wondering if we'll even need the thermals!

x
snow report
@breeze11, http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php
snow report
Thank you! x
latest report
Agree with uann - Chamonix meteo is the most useful
ski holidays
Look at all of them and go with the one you like most! If you look at the weather outlook posted daily at Samoens Tourist Office, and read the small print at the bottom, you will see a line the says "Accuracy of forecast: poor". They seem to get impending snow right but everything else...... GM emailed earlier to say all open from tomorrow. Doesn't say all pistes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Really not looking great. We rarely visit over the festive period, but decided on New Year this time as an alternative to Feb half term... worryingly, I am back 13th Jan with friends too. Need to start doing a snow dance!
latest report
I am in Flaine at the moment. Skied yesterday in the bowl. Cover is thin and there are a few brown patches but pistes generally in good condition. Where the slopes have been pisted there is some good skiing. DMC, Aup de Veran, Tetes de Vert, Dessert Blanc and Diamant Noir lifts all open. Bottom of Faust was lumpy and hard. This morning at 8am the temperature was above freezing with very thin cloud cover so no prospect of any snow. Tomorrow they are due to open the links to the other resorts but I don't know whether that will happen. Driving through Carroz earlier in the week there was very little snow on the slopes and I would guess the same would apply to the other resorts.

I'm back to London this afternoon and back on 17 January. 24 hours can change everything so let's hope.......
snow report
Quote:

no prospect of any snow

N.S.S. rolling eyes
snow report
@Whitegold, you are in the GM?

Skied around Flaine today. Departed Vercland on ancient bubble at 10:45.

As ever, modern snow management impresses. All very crunchy at 11:00 and southerly facing soft by 14:00 but really...

A Very Nice Day To Start The Season

snowHead snowHead

Clearly, anything below around 1,600m non-existent.

Above 2,100 ish? Really nice piste snow.

In between a little sketchy but seen a lot worse.

But my word, how warm? Like mid-April.

Must mention, the renovated (for last season?) restaurant at the bottom of the Vercland lift is rather nice and has Mont Blanc Rousse on draught. Cool

P.S. For those nervous and arriving this or next week, all of the group today have/do ski really rather a lot, some instructors, and are really fussy.
snow report
@under a new name,
Whitegold, always a sh(i)t stirrer
snow report
@zzz, yep.

Skiing with S, TSB and Mark. Rather good. Are we up for beers and maybe a few pistes in the coming days?
snow report
Sadly, I'm having to work although I'm not missing much I know. Back late on the 21st. Could do 22 eve but not sure I can be arsed with the skiing at the mo. When you free?
snow conditions
We'll be Cham based from Tuesday ... And must hook up with J&J too ... Phone call?
latest report
Yep
ski holidays
Arrived last night in Samoens. Good drive down from Calais but delays at Dover passports and check-in meant we left 1.5 hours late.

Very spring like here today, snow very thin in places but otherwise quite good, very warm both on the mountain and in the village. Started to get a bit soft on the plateau after midday but was ok until we left at around 2 o'clock. Surprisingly, not busy at all, no queues at all on the Chariande Express so all very civilised. A big crowd might cause some damage so new year may be rough without any significant snow, have not travelled further afield yet but Perce Neige looks weird as a white scar on a brown background. My Weather France app says we should have snow above 1600m tomorrow, hopefully there will be lots.
snow conditions
@Basil, Thank you, was supposed to ski today, but a bit ill, so hopefully tomorrow.......

The new moving carpet figaro looks amazing in les carroz, shame its a sea of mud around it, but will make getting up to the gondola much easier from around les arielles. Its not running until next week, they seem to be hitting various bits of it with hammers etc today!

On the lack of people, the carpark in our apartments is only a 1/3 full..................
latest report
Monday 21st december

Felt a bit better, so off skiing for the first time this season. Light rain, so virtually nobody, daughter with brand new boots so we had lots of stops to adjust.

Snow very slushy at the top of gondola and only combe down to gron chair open, and rather thin in places especially near the bottom of gron, lots of brown and stones Rest of combe shut.

Plein soleil is open with lots of brown bits, but snow generally ok considering how warm and wet, just after the chair the snow stops and its brown and grass. Shows how hard they have worked to keep what is open skiable.

Blue down from the gondola down to molliets is open, and probably has the best snow, but you can only access it via the Gondola end, the access from near top of gron is closed. Access to Morillon is closed from the top of molliets, but you can go via the link run lower down, which looked very very thin. Sairon was running in morillon.

we just did lots of laps getting rather wet in the process, breaking the new boots in. so 3 1/2 hours was enough, so down the gondola we went.

Snow was fine, but it was like the last days of the season, not the start, very wet and slushy, with lots of thin bits. However it is much better than the start of last season, but then it snowed, without new snow how this is going to hold up for the next few days is anyones guess.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy